[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Van Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 39

File: Vanlife-1.jpg (335KB, 1280x849px) Image search: [Google]
Vanlife-1.jpg
335KB, 1280x849px
Any anons ever seriously considered van life?

I don't just mean for a few weeks a year, but actual full time living in a van.

Pros? Cons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1zKeSbQDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4WVjpwMRQ
>>
It appeals to me a lot, just don't have the capital to invest at the moment. Or at least the money I do have I don't want to spend on a van. Just yet.
>>
Not doing what I do right now.

Would need a bigger van. At the least a MWB high roof transit.

But totally doable. Just don't see a huge point when you have a fixed location job.
>>
>>1035078
>Just don't see a huge point when you have a fixed location job

You no pay rent, but have to trade convenience.

It's all so tiring.
>>
In a van down by the river?

Nah that's nigger shit
>>
No one on this board does this trust me
Theres definitely not a general thread with 4 or 5 people living in their vans
Dont listen to anyone talking about busanon, thats a myth.
Its probably illegal anyway.
>>
File: fatman.jpg (71KB, 591x562px) Image search: [Google]
fatman.jpg
71KB, 591x562px
>>1035155
>Its probably illegal anyway.
Not if they don't catch you.
>>
>>1035169
The always do.
The upside is you'll go to comfy prison for a long time.
>>
File: fatman fishing.jpg (104KB, 591x562px) Image search: [Google]
fatman fishing.jpg
104KB, 591x562px
>>1035173
Not if they don't catch you.
>>
>>1035155
I live in my van when im not in my semi.
This lifestyle is perfect for truckers.
Have not paid rent in years.
I take months off and just roam and camp.
I have few bills and zero debt.
>>
>>1035130
>that same tired joke again
Wow thanks for posting it. Really had a laugh.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 186x270px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 186x270px
>>1035050
Sniper? Is that you?
>>
>>1035177
Can i have $10?
>>
>>1035341
I ..i guess
>>
>>1035761
Yesssss
>>
>>1035881
Start dancing and SLOOOWLY take off your clothes.
>>
>>1035050
My wife and I have been living in our van for 1.5 years now. Travel half the year, work the other half. Everyone who makes the down by a river joke is a fucking tard.
>>
>>1035050
Never done it for real, but I have lived out of my truck for a couple months. The worst part is girls. You can't tell most of them about your living situation and most girls don't want to hook up in the back of a fucking van or truck, so you have to find one that has her own place and/or doesn't care.
>>
i slept in a car few times, it's not bad. driving around everywhere is fun. but full time. idk.
>>
they cost like 20 grand
>>
>>1035989
For a shitty used one. Brand new is gonna run you 35000 and thats before you start outfitting it for a living space.

I'm in trucker school right now, and like the other guy said living in your vehicle makes sense when you only get 3-5 days off a month. I plan on putting a camper shell on my pickup and doing that once i get through my training. Parking spots at storage lots are 60 bucks a month. UPS store mailbox is 20 bucks a month. Fuck an apartment.
>>
>>1035900
>the van downby the river joke

I've always wondered why they make it.

Do they think it's actually funny or are they just attempting to bully but can't come up with anything good.

Either way, if that phrase is your comment of choice you cleay have nothing good to say on the subject.
>>
>>1036016
Are you autistic? People say it because it was a funny skit 25 years ago and they remember it. It's like quoting caddyshack or some other stupid movie. People do it because it is a shared funny experience.

Or are all of you so young you have no reference to the chris farley/david spade snl skit?
>>
File: 307uate.jpg (164KB, 1599x1066px) Image search: [Google]
307uate.jpg
164KB, 1599x1066px
>>1036022
That skit is no longer culturally relevant
>>
>>1036034
Do you think people no longer live in their cars?

Thanks to comrade obamas """recovery""" where every american can get 20 hours a week in retail, there are more people living in cars now than ever before.
>>
>>1036022
>people having a discussion
>have nothing relevant or worthwile to say because low IQ
>decide to tell the only van joke you know
>everyone ignores you because it's not funny.

>>1036038
People living in cars is relevant.
That's why YouTube is full of van videos and there is always at least one van thread on /out/ at any given time.

That still doesn't make it funny.
>>
I know a guy who lives in a van. He keeps some various appliances and does odd jobs for people when he needs a little bit of cash. Otherwise he is travelling. Word of warning though, havent heard from him in over a year. Nobody has.
>>
Been thinking about living in a van. Still unsure, and i would rather have an apt. But i dont think i can afford it.

If i do live in a van, is there a way i can have a small tv and say a ps4 in there with me?
>>
File: 51XOZ+xBykL._SY300_.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
51XOZ+xBykL._SY300_.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>1036217
Power inverters
I use them all the time but Im not sure how efficient they are with power. I do know though that it will FUCK your battery if you don't have your engine running
>>
File: IMG_20151128_173909537_HDR-L.jpg (90KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_173909537_HDR-L.jpg
90KB, 800x451px
>>1036220
>not sure how efficient they are with power
they're not at all.

You lose a lot going from 12v DC to 120v AC.
Then through the power brick, back to a low-voltage DC. Efficiency losses in both those conversions.
For every amp you draw on the 120v side, you're drawing over 10 amps DC.

You're better off buying a small 12v "RV" TV designed to run off 12v - far less power loss, and less wiring to dick with. They make them up to 32".

Might be able to find a vehicle adapter for the playstation too.

Go 12v for as much as you can, avoid having to use an inverter. Truck stops carry a wide variety of 12v appliances.

Or get a generator.

>t. electrical engineer
>pic related
>>
>>1036226
shit, might have to invest in one of these. thanks anon
>>
>>1036226
>>1036220
Ohh ok, im not too smart when it comes to this stuff so I'll do more research. Thanks guys.
>>
>>1035078
>rent

well yeah if you're renting.

personally I'd buy land and live in a van on it
>>
>>1036266
What's the point?
You'd lose all advantages of a van (mobility), and have all the disadvantages (lack of space, lack of proper shower, storage space, shitter, kitchen, washer/deyer, fridge/freezer, and workshop.

Might as well go for a meme shipping container.
>>
>>1035050
What does a budget look like for living out of a van? Is 2k enough to put down on the initial cost, if I'm good with repairs?
>>
>>1036573
$2k for the van
$????? building materials/appliances/tools/plumbing/electrics/fixtures for conversion
$????? tax/insurance.
$????? Gas
$????? food/shower/gym/laundry/consumables

Depends on what you want for the initial conversion. Expect to spend another $1000 minimum after initial purchase of the van on building it.

You will always have a couple of thousand overhead per year.
>>
>>1036335
Because I can't afford to build a house And land? And it means I would have to rent.

The advantage of van life isn't just the mobility ita the not giving your money as rent to other people!
>>
>>1036592
You could build a primitive tech shelter
>>
>>1036592
>I can't afford to build a house.

Nigga you can build a small insulated 'cabin' that is way bigger than a van with a circular saw and $1500 worth of ply and 2x4s
>>
>>1036593
>>1036595

Yea I don't want a primitive Hut, I said HOUSE.
>>
>>1036668
Hut>van
>>
>>1036701
Can't live in a hut by law here.

Building standards are a thing
>>
>>1036702
Make the hut movable, eurofag. Build it on a trailer
>>
>>1036668
I was talking about building it on your land because you said you were too poor to buy a house retard. It costs $0 For a primitive shelter
>>
>>1036702
10x10 is legal all over the world
>>
>>1036715
At that point I could just live in my van... Which I already own.

I don't see what's hard to understand with I'd rather buy land than a house, as I can't afford both and I do not want to rent.

>>1036830
Source for your wild claims?
>>
im saving up some money to get a small campervan, will use it to go /out/ with my dog on the weekends
cant wait
>>
>>1036840
Call your local planning office and see if im wrong
>>
>>1036840
10x10 is a considered a "tool shed" pretty much everywhere in Europe. Some places you need a certain amount of land to be allowed a shed.
Usually something like 5,000m2. (5 acres.)

The reason why you'd want a small cabin instead of a van is you can have a home with a shower, windows, and where you can stand up straight.
>>
>>1036895
wait so you could rent an allottment (lets say it's £10 a year for your plot) build a 10x10 "shed" on that plot and live in it all year legally?
>>
>>1036895
>5 acres
wtf
>>
>>1036928
You technically can't live in the tool shed, because it's a tool shed.
But who is going to check, right?

In an allotment you are likely to get reported. Too many people around.
Unsure what happens once they report you though.

>>1036943
Depends on the area. It's more of a general rule.
>>
>>1036952
What is an allotment?
>>
>>1037084
Land that the government stole from the people and they let you use a tiny plot for a fee so they can pretend they care for the citizens
>>
>>1037098
are you a europe? because this sounds like hell
>>
>>1037084
I believe Allotment is a British term, but allotments are common tradition in northern Europe.

It's small parcel of farm land that you can rent for recreation purposes, often administered by the city and usually no bigger than the average American front yard.
Intended so people can grow vegetables and shit.

The land is communal, but sub-divided into separate, individual parcels.
There is water and sometimes electricity.
In the UK it's common to have a small shed.
In Germany people have rail car styled "gypsy" wagon or even a small house.
It's common for families stay there overnight or several weeks.
But you are not allowed to live year round.

In Southern Europe, the land is for farming and not other types of recreation and I don't think you can have a shed.

There is an average 93 year waiting list for allotments.
But luckily you can trade your spot on the waiting list for an organ transplant to reduce that to 20 years or so.

>>1037098
>>1037113
Yes.
>>
>>1037168
that is a fucking trip
we dont have anything like that in america
>>
>>1035050
I've done it for 4 months last year when I was traveling the US. Never stayed in one city for more than a few days. Wouldn't know how it feels to vanlife in the city where you live and work in.
>>
>>1036895
if your 'shed' has a bed, heating and shower, it is no longer a shed.

Also you can't live in a shed, at least here (as I am not hte one making grandoise claims as to knowing the building regs of every country in teh world)

As soon as a building becomes "living accommodation" it counts as a house, regardless of what you call it and what appearance it takes.

Also, there is zoning to consider. If I buy forestry land you get a lot more for your money but you're not allowed to build a permanent house.

>>1037169
you don't have community gardens? ....
>>
>>1037212
>if your 'shed' has a bed, heating and shower, it is no longer a shed.

It is still a shed. Just like a van will still be a van if you put the same exact things in it.
The use has changed in practice, but it still remains a shed on paper, where it really matters.

The point here is, that building a 10x10 "shed" on a piece of land is easy and requires very little in the way of permits and beurocracy.
What you put in that shed once it's built is up to you. Nobody will come round and check.

This is a way to solve a problem of not being allowed to build a dwelling on your land.

If you want your home to be bigger than 3x3, apply for a permit of a big above ground water reservoir.
You can usually get some type of grant to build both reservoir and shed.

Now when its time to build the cistern, just build a basement first that you can access from the shed. Then finish the reservoir as normal. The water will also keep the interior cool during summer.

If your land is more urban, you might not be allowed to build a shed.
But there are temporary ways around this too.
>>
>>1037212
>you don't have community gardens?
A few in inner cities to keep black people from rioting. But they are on abandoned lots
>>
>>1037169
Yes we do. Maybe your town doesn't.
>>
File: Van.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Van.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
I'm an artist
>>
>>1037412
No we don't. Community gardens are completely different. Often they are at a church and you get a 4 by 8 foot raised bed for $25 but then a year later and it's abandoned by the church because the whore who ran it is in jail
>>
>>1037412
Where the hell do you live that has this?
>>
>>1035050
>>1035155
Been doing it for over a year. It fucking sucks. Thinking of getting a chem toilet so I can just shit in peace for once in my life.
>>
>>1037517
What is the vehicle?
>>
>>1037526
A work van. Niggers think it's a payday on wheels and tore off all my locks
>>
>>1037499
I'm telling you for a fact that several small towns in this part of the US have some town-owned parcel somewhere where a section has been fenced off for use as a garden by townspeople. I don't believe there's any kind of fee, but there is a square-footage maximum per family.

>>1037500
Northeast US.
>>
>>1037556
The majority of america has nothing like this
>>
>>1037559
I mean, it kind of wouldn't make sense to have that kind of thing in the majority of the US, since in most parts of the US, people have big enough lots to have their own garden area anyways.
>>
>>1035051
faggot
>>
>>1037556
Name 1 town that has this. Protip, you cant
>>
>>1037169
>we dont have anything like that in america

my town has two nigger.

t. oregon coastie
>>
>>1037797
Two black men?
How small is your town?
>>
>>1037797
Liar
>>
I've got a buddy in Idaho who has 6 acres of land up in the mountains and lives in a 20ft used yurt he paid 8k for.
Haven't spoken to him lately as he's hard to contact with the whole "off grid" thing, but from what I understand yurts are a cheap, large, legal alternative to building a small insulated cabin or putting a memevan on your property and trying to pull that off.
He says he just bathes in creek water that runs through his property, he has some super weird water filter or something and drinks from it as well.
The guys kinda wack, always has been, but hes been pulling it off for the past 6 years or so, so I guess he's not quite as wack as he seems. Got ducks and chickens, no idea what he feeds 'em, but I know he farms a shit ton of his land. I remember going there and it almost seemed like there really wasn't much there that wasn't occupied by some sort of garden. Mostly grows roots like radishes, beats, potatoes, onions and turnips, says growing tomatoes and peppers are "pig shit" and generally sticks to his roots.
He really likes roots.
Neat guy, went to highschool with him, but I doubt I could pull off what he's doing, being completely isolated in the middle of nowhere like that for so long.
>>
File: 80380374_XS.jpg (25KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
80380374_XS.jpg
25KB, 400x267px
>>1037840
>>1037801
Not him but my town (10,000 people) has one black child and he doesn't even seem to have parents
>>
>>1037869
I know that feel
Grew up in a reaally rural area, there was 1 adopted black kid who was actually mentally handicapped.
You can only imagine how he was treated. I almost felt angry with the parents who adopted him for knowingly putting him in a place like that. It really was a racist town, I remember going to highschool with him and a group of guys sitting in the back of a pickup hit him with a 2x4 while driving past him as he walked home from school.
There were multiple times where he was jumped at school, I recall one time they beat him so bad they broke a leg, his jaw, and multiple ribs. We didn't see much of him after that and nobody was arrested for it.
>>
>>1037878
>hit him with a 2x4
>they beat him so bad they broke a leg, his jaw, and multiple ribs.
dude wtf? are you fucking serious?? what fucking shithole region was this???
>>
>>1037880
south eastern Montana
most of the people in that town had never even seen a black person before.
Montana actually has the lowest black population in the entire country.
>>
>>1036217
Portable solar panels
>>
File: keckhome.png (32KB, 308x238px) Image search: [Google]
keckhome.png
32KB, 308x238px
>>1036217
>wants to live in a van
>can I still have my tv and vidya games?
lul
>captcha is keck home
>cannot stop laughing right now
>>
>>1035914
Who needs girls, I'm sure my right hand wouldn't mind if I lived in a van
>>
>>1035155
>Its probably illegal anyway.
why would it be
>>
>>1037963
You cant just live in a vehicle and be a person.
Its crossing the line into homelessness.
>>
>>1037963
Because it's just not right.
Not paying rent and having debt or commitments and being able to move when you want is cheating the system and that is illegal in some capacity for sure.
>>
>>1038070
this
you cant just be an individual and live your own life by your own standards in a free country.
It's time to get a nice, comfy office job, buy a 2016 Toyota Corolla and get yourself mortgage, for pete's sake.
>>
File: $_86.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
Im about to get kicked out of my flat but I've got some money - probably around £1500. I'm thinking buy a second hand Van for around £900-1000 and put my stuff in storage. Just sleep on a matress or something to start with and slowly build it up.

I've got a job/gym membership etc.

Would this work?
any advice?
Would a van like this be suitable? https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2006-ford-transit-swb-van-%C2%A31175-ono/1248662130
>>
>>1038159
I'd pass on that one.
It's the FWD model with SWB and a low roof.

You'll never be able to stand up straight in a low roofer.

The RWD Transits eat up the miles.
FWD not so much.

Look in the camper section.
There's always a few half converted "wife's ultimatum" vans for cheap.

The nice thing is it doesn't look like MOT is going to run out soon.
>>
>>1038250
Thanks for the feedback anon.

Didnt know about FWD & RWD - will look out for FWD.

I looked in the camper section and saw a lot of the half finished ones. Will take a look again. I'm not holidaying - im needing to buy one for survival reasons. I dont care if its crappy inside initially.

I did notice that campers seem to be more expensive than vans though, even the half converted ones?
>>
>>1038250
what do you think to something like this?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/rare-camper-van-project-in-need-of-refurb-finishing.-this-van-will-last-for-years-to-come.-mot-d-/1248592077

Anything here that you think looks good?

https://www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&max_price=1500&distance=150&urgent_filter=false&sort=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false&search_category=campervans-motorhomes&q=&search_location=Reading&tl=
>>
http://vandogtraveller.com/

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/living-out-of-your-car-is-the-new-american-dream
>>
>>1037963
vagrancy.
>>
>>1037659
Brookings, SD
>>
>>1038259
I'd say campers are usually more expensive because lower milage, and more desirable features like high top.
But there's a lot better selection in the van section it seems. Maybe because its festival season.

The FWD aren't terrible or anything, but the RWD are heavier duty.
If you find a good one don't pass it up simply on account of that.
FWD ones are more compact too.
The fit in an urban parking space if that's where you plan on being.

>>1038261
That generation LDV come with the 2.5 DI engine from the older Transit. Sometimes known as "the banana engine".
Easily the best engine ever put in a van bar the Mercedes ones.
Never met one that didn't start on half a turn, even in the cold. And run forever.

Extremely noisy though. You'll hear it run from 18 houses down with the TV on.

That rust isn't new and won't pass MOT.
Title says it has so maybe it's an older picture. It will need welding in that condition.

You also lose the stealth of a panel van because it's obviously a camper.

Otherwise its a decent option. Get him down to £1,200.

Any van that's off the road without MOT isn't worth the risk of paying more than £600 for.
Spares aren't that expensive, but the labor cost really tacks up.
>>
>>1038515
Thanks anon

With vans that need welding should I stay away or should I get if cheap and pay someone to do the welding?

Is welding expensive?
>>
>>1036226

These days you're likely better off getting a computer monitor with HDMI input rather than a full blown TV. Lighter/Thinner and many have a 12V input (with brick). Cut off the brick, make sure you're 12V is regulated from your battery and away you go.
>>
>>1038159
Is that Walthamstow?
>>
>>1038547
Depends on where and how much welding they need.

Expect to pay something like £200 for what's visible in the photo on that LDV.
(Arches and sills).

Garages charge a lot for welding, especially MOT garages because they know you are desperate.

You can likely find someone to do it for cheaper. Mobile services are almost always cheaper because many are part time owner operated with way less overhead.

MOT spec welds need to be full seam, not spot welds.
Any decent welder can do it.

The most common MOT fails are bad wipers and improperly aimed headlamps, then rust.
Common mechanical failures are brakes.

Careful when buying a van thats ply lined or already built.
There might be rust hidden underneath that you can't see, but the tester will spot easily from the pit.

There's a blue LDV minibus in the campet section thats has the welding done. Looks like a solid van in a good size if glass windows don't bother you.
>>
File: IMG_7409.jpg (39KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7409.jpg
39KB, 300x300px
I have three of these fancy niggers on the way.

One's going to be a thermostat for the pressurized water tank that feeds the shower.

Another will be part of a sous vide system so I don't have to waste more time cooking than I need to.

Both systems will use a 12v immersion heater.
>>
>>1035050
What if you live somewhere cold?
>>
>>1039024
Insulation and a wood burning stove or space heater.
>>
>>1039022
Thats pretty cool.
Will you post results?
>>
>>1036217
Yeah don't live in a van and play vidya. That said auxiliary batteries are a must. And like the other guy said, solar panels.
>>
>>1036217
You need a generator. The smallest one you can buy is more than enough.
>>
>>1039193
I'm actually looking at the harbor freight generator but is 62 decibels too fucking loud? I would try to put it in the engine bay if there was room but of course, it's a fucking van so there isn't.
>>
>>1039163
You can put enough solar to play vidya.
One guy can even run ac for a good chunk of the day.
>>
>>1039225
>you can run enough solar to play vidya

Why are you playing vidya and living in a van? This isn't a fucking NEET mobile you stupid niggers. This is my-wife-left me-took-my-son-and-the-dog-mobile and-I'm-contemplating-suicide-mobile.

Matter of fact, I'm just going to play vidya fuck it
>>
>>1039240
>Why are you playing vidya and living in a van? This isn't a fucking NEET mobile you stupid niggers.
Well, we can do whatever the fuck we want. Enjoy being divorced and never seeing your kids, I guess.
>>
>>1039198
62 decibels isn't loud at all. That's like ambient noise in a busy restaurant.

Dig a hole 20 yards away and stick it in there to deaden most the noise.

>>1039225
It wouldn't be cost effective to try.

You have a PS4 that draws around 120w and another 120w for a monitor.
Let's make that 250w in total.

You can fit four 250w panels on the roof of a van.
Let's say you install two, so 500w in total. $1 per watt thats $500 in panels.
That's peak so make that 450w on a sunny day. On a day with cloud or a bit of shade you won't be making shit.

Panels alone won't run the system. There will be dips in here and there and it isn't stable enough so you need a battery to store any energy you don't use.

HarborFreight has 35AH batteries for $70.
A fully charged 35AH battery can run a 400w system for an hour so you need a couple.

Then you'll need a charge controller, wiring, isolator etc

Shit adds up quick.
Consider the fuel efficiency reduction from the weight and drag of the system, and the shirt lifetime of batteries and a generator is cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>1036217
Just get a 3ds or vita.
>>
>>1039019
Thank you anon - I was always worried about Welding but this makes it much clearer - Much appreciated.

>>1039326
>>1036217
Can Switch charge from 12v?
Also if you've got a good android controller and android phone you can emulate a lot of good stuff
>>
>>1035050
oh geeze I've been thinking about that for a while and trying to figure out what I want

so far I'm considering customizing a ford transit just to have a few RV type things like the swiveling driver and front passenger seats, something I could maybe use as a computer desk for a laptop, a small bed, and just try it out on short trips to figure out what else I might need and how I can adapt
>>
>>1039198
I have no idea why you want to put a genny in a live-in van, just get a split relay charger set up and a couple of leisure batteries / car batteries

>>1039309
you can get low watt monitors, 20-50w

first link I pulled out of google: http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-computing/reviews/65304.aspx
>>
>>1039407
>$250 for a 1080p 19" monitor
Seems like a big waste of money for something people throw out on the regular.
>>
>>1039407
To run a small AC
>>
File: 1436495200291.jpg (930KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1436495200291.jpg
930KB, 2160x1440px
ill dump this couple pics from a bread way back, hope this anon is good and well, this was his house, the land was his property
>>
File: 1436495360208.jpg (654KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1436495360208.jpg
654KB, 2160x1440px
>>1039571

this is what i wanna try but in an urban environment, if fate treats me well ill have ownership of a piece of land somewhere in the city, i plan on doing the whole gym membership thing plus a bit of urban scavenging
>>
>>1039573
What city?
>>
>>1039573
>urban environment
That's a huge mistake in 9/10 American cities anon
>>
I'm thinking transit for a vehicle. It's just me do I get Lwb or swb? Hi top or low top? I'm currently thinking low top and swb for stealth and cheaper fuel or is this a mistake?

>>1039381
I need to know this also.

Swiveling passenger's seat then what as a laptop table?
>>
>>1039573
>>1039591
Agreed, you need to go more stealth. Fuck the hippie shit
>>
File: 001.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
my mother has a GMC Safari sitting in a garage, needs minor work but other than that, should be good to go, and it would be free. I've looked the interior over and I think it would be perfect.
>>
>>1039439
It was just an example you, neet anon.

If you want a ps4 you're going to have to moderate your electricity usage.

>>1039479
Ac? Murica
>>
>>1039624
Those are great.
Is it awd?
>>
>>1039024
I work twelve hours a day and have been living in the back of my shitty Nissan Pathfinder for two months now. I figure, when I'm not working i'm sleeping or reading. No reason to give half my paycheck to some kike for the luxury of being unconsious in a room he owns.

I actually enjoyed later winter more. You could get all snuggy in your sleeping bag and sleep no problem. Summer is a fucking nightmare though. It's like trying to sleep in a brick oven. I just hammock in the woods instead. Can't wait for winter.
>>
>>1039624
You're going to want to tear out all the seats except the front and build a bed over the wheel hub obviously. You'll need at least two layers of the air pocket foil foam over all the windows in the back and on the roof. Get a 12v fan and a spare battery. Good to go.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
What do you guys think of the Chevy Astro? Theres a good one nearby for two thou.
>>
>>1039786
Wouldn't recommend unless desperate. Stick to vehicles with a track record, not abortions. You don't ever want to work on a van.
>>
what about a chevy suburban. every swat team in the land can't be wrong.
>>
>>1039828
What?
Those vans are great
>>
>>1039828
this guy doesn't know shit about vans
>track record
tons with over 200k still going string
>working on them
easy

it's not a fucking 2017 sprinter, nobody is claiming it's as comfy as that, but they're damn good for what you spend.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170617-073705.jpg (361KB, 816x598px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170617-073705.jpg
361KB, 816x598px
Would you guys ever take a risk on a van like this?

Needs welding
Needs fanbelt fixing

£350.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170617-074737.png (114KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170617-074737.png
114KB, 1080x1920px
>>1039931
More info
>>
>>1039661
Why does it have to be the US?
In Southern Europe it is impossible to sleep inside a van during summer unless you have A/C or a big fuck off fan.
And even with a fan you will not sleep well and you'll wake up needing a shower.

During the day a van becomes a big solar oven.
Lay your hand on the paint while its been in the sun and you will burn your skin off.

With a generator you can run the A/C and play games all day.
Because what fun is it to play for just an hour or two?
>>
>>1039931
>>1039932

Short answer: yes.
On the long term, it will need work.

Flywheel is a big job. Gearbox will need to be removed, maybe the engine pulled too.
If its a minor noise just let it develop.
May last for years before it actually needs replacing.

Rust doesn't look too bad. If its just that bit on the rear arch, a bog job might be enough to hide it.
Then decide if you want to do it up proper later.

And fan belt could be worn through use, or prematurely because the tensioner or or a pulley could be rubbing on it.
Either way, replace it and see if it holds up. Then worry about problems later.
With a Haynes, you might be able to do it yourself.

>>1039599
I own an early SWB low roof.
The extra roof space would be great for a conversion.

You can have a real shower, proper height kitchen, and stand up straight.
With a SWB once you step through the side door you are right on the mattress.

If you need this right now, then don't wait for the perfect van.
Just get one thats good enough and allows you some breathing room financially.
>>
>>1036595
>ply and 2x4s
good luck dying of exposure
>>
>>1039944
Thank you anon-senpai.

I think by the time I need to move out I'll have around £1400 total. Ill aim for a van with a long mot and that will last a year around £600-800. Rest of the money will be for insurance plus emergency money. Will need to get a bed etc

When checking for rust, I check wheel arches and the door sills. Is there anywhere else I need to look for rust on transits?
>>
>>1039786
Second this. Astros around me go for 1500-2k and they're in decent shape. I also like them because they're stealthier

might get one soon.
>>
>>1039956
I'd check under the body to see how rusty it is. My old Nissan exhaust just rusted through after 16 years. It was an easy fix, just annoying
>>
Another quick question, for the British summer do I need to fit a fan into the roof or can I just remove the bulkhead and crack the windows?
>>
>>1039958
So when adverts say exhaust problems they aren't too expensive to fix?
>>
>>1039960
Well sometimes you can patch it with $5 worth of supplies from the auto shop. Mine would have required welding, so I just bought a whole brand new system for $200 and put it on myself. Both of those options beat the mechanics prices

Chris fix is a good YouTube guy to check out for car repairs
>>
>>1039961
Is welding easy? Should I learn? I'm not really a diy person but I'm not completely terrable at that sort of thing
>>
File: 1490778738617.jpg (41KB, 536x626px) Image search: [Google]
1490778738617.jpg
41KB, 536x626px
Has anyone had any horror stories with under 2k Craigslist vans? It seems like some of them are in pretty good shape, but I don't want it breaking down every month
>>
File: wagon.jpg (38KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
wagon.jpg
38KB, 450x338px
I've heavily considered saving up a good amount and spending a few years just roaming the states.

Am i less likely to be profiled as a homeless drug addict if i have a legitimate gypsy wagon instead of just living in a van?
>>
>>1039962
I actually got the new exhaust system because I didn't want to learn to weld. It was just a matter of unbolting the whole thing and putting the new one up. I can't imagine it's super difficult. Arc welders are just a little pricy
>>
>>1039956
Bottom of doors especially rear, the steps, anywhere glass/metal/rubber meet and the whole underside.

When checking for rust, the tester cannot remove any coating, paint or filler and that includes waxoyl/underseal.
So if he taps it with a hammer and it feels solid there isn't much more he can do.

For small holes in non structural areas like on the arches, back it up with newspaper and bog it over. Then sand smooth. Or do a quick fiberglass job.
Then get a £9 can of colour matched paint from Halfords.
>>
>>1039965
>Am i less likely to be profiled as a homeless drug addict if i have a legitimate gypsy wagon instead of just living in a van?
Literally the opposite.
>>
>>1035914
Money you saved on rent you can splurge on a hooker. If both of you are white don't use a condom 1488
>>
>>1036217
TV? Why surround yourself with nigger tech fuckn degenerate. If you live in a vehicle at least use the lack of comfort to get shit done, better yourself. You actually want to live in a car and play video games all day don't you?
>>
>>1036335
Just go watch YouTube and build a shelter in the woods
>>
>>1040002
It's hard to go cold turkey. It's ok to get a cheap tablet and fill it with TV shows and anime
>>
>>1040007
>It's hard to go cold turkey
4 U

I've done it before. Just stop thinking about it and stop doing it.
There is nothing more to it.

I doubt you really want to give it up
>>
>>1039953
>what is insulation?
Nigga u dumb. How u think houses is built?
>>
>>1039985
>"I wonder whos selling/using drugs, the small house on wheels or the white van with a mattress and a shit bucket in the back"
>>
>>1040059
The hippie motherfucker in the dirty ass bus is 100% using drugs.
>>
>>1039661
well, for a start, insulation does a great deal to delay thermal transfer. strategic parking also helps (shade, orientation to sun path), and as you said, a fan helps. also not being a pussy.

>t. own a black van in the EU
>>
>>1038159
You are going to have a hard fucking time living out of a van in London. parking spaces are at a premium, and you wont be able to park in central london, which means you will still have to pay for transport into london if you work there.
>>
>>1040085
Why do you own a black van?

Are you a Coroner?
>>
>>1040525
Because I didn't want to be a white van man
>>
How hard I should it for someone to convert a van with no prior experience?
I could just buy a camper but I thought it would be nice to tailor it to what I want.
>>
>>1040856
Depends on how good you are at research ie: hours upon hours of YouTube videos .
>>
>>1040856
It's not difficult if you don't have a place to do it. Like any project involving autos.
>>
>>1041012
*It is difficult
>>
I know someone who did it for a while while employed. Eventually, he ended up having to rent an industrial storage unit so he had somewhere to park it overnight legally, take a dump regularly and to shower.
>>
>>1041012
You can do a van conversion in a parking lot though.
It's better that way because you can but tools as you need them.

95% of the time my most used tools were circular saw and drill, both battery powered. Besides square and tape measure of course.
I built guides for the saw onsite.
>>
>>1041037
I wouldn't want to work on my van in public. I'm too paranoid to even leave a door open for the breeze. I've already been checked on by cops like three or four times.
>>
>>1041074
Cops can't do shit unless you have truffles on you. And you're not that stupid...are you?

If a Cop bothers you just tell him you're building a csmper, hand him a tape measure, and direct him to help with the build.
>>
>>1039584
>>1039591
>>1039600

im somewhere around the outskirts of the urban sprawl of mexico city, we have walls between houses here, a white picket fence would be an invitation to get mugged or worse.

So as long as i have tall enough walls with shards of glass on top, couple doggos and a gun i might not need to go stealth, but only if i inherit that damn patch of land.

>pic related the kind of van/truck i´d love to have
>>
>>1039962

i´ve heard welding pays well anywhere in the world, just wear a gasmask or you´ll die too soon
>>
File: pol_spur.jpg (175KB, 1658x996px) Image search: [Google]
pol_spur.jpg
175KB, 1658x996px
>>1039996

/pol/ get out of here
>>
>>1041160
You know vans are mobile right?
That's the whole point.

You can move to Baja and become a beach nigger like white people, or a professional dolphin fisherman or some shit like that.

No need to stay so deep in the nexus of crime, corruption, head chopping, and general niggardry.

Also, didn't someone here have a van like that painted in battleship grey?
>>
File: 4wdtroopy1.jpg (110KB, 540x329px) Image search: [Google]
4wdtroopy1.jpg
110KB, 540x329px
Seriously considering vanlife...

I'm about to finish my Paramedic degree here in Sydney, Australia.
The state service is likely to place me in a small town several hours drive from the city for at least my first year in the service. I'll work a rotating roster of something like 5 days on, 5 days off. So with my days off I can drive back to Sydney and stay with my brother for free. I don't want to be paying rent for a property in the middle of butt fuck no where, so vanlife kinda makes sense...

Anyone done this in Aus? Will doing it with a big 4wd wagon like a Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser be much worse than a hiace or something?

Pic related
>>
>>1041270
If you go the 4x4 route, can you get a refund on taxes and such if you claim it as an emergency/work vehicle?
>>
I think I gave myself obtuse heat exhaustion from getting no break from the heat all week. I feel like serious dudu rn :'(
>>
File: IMG_2959.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2959.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1040856
it depends on how difficult you want to make it.

personally I have insulated, soundproofed, ply lined, put a floor in, trimmed bulkhead, carpetted trim, etc, all by myself with no prior experience.

pic related is from the other day

next job is to lay a vinyl floor now that I've done the edging on the ply floor.

then a split charger system and a 2nd battery, after that it'll be a few things related to it

I've decided not to bother with complexities, I don't have space for a shitter or anything.

I'll get a cab heater for next years (scandinavian) adventure

still deciding on whether I want a bed bed or whether to go for something else.
>>
>>1040519
Its ok im in a satellite town outside of London.
>>
>>1041472
What model van is that?
>>
I just bought an Chevy Express. It's bare bones right now and I'm still living in it. Once I recoup the money I spent on it (which should only take two months or so) and build my savings up to where they were I'm going to start insulating it. I wish there was a blue print or something online. I've seen hundreds of hours of van life videos and yet still feel clueless when faced with the reality of it.
>>
>>1041568
Backroadsvanner did the best express.
Intothemystery13 is doing one now.
I have the awd version and love it.
>>
>>1041568
Grab a tape measure, pencil and paper and start sketching. You'll hammer out a design soon enough.
>>
>>1039996
Underrated.
>>
File: export.jpg (1MB, 4896x3264px) Image search: [Google]
export.jpg
1MB, 4896x3264px
>>1041564
vw caddy, car derived van. 2.0 tdi. Reasonably nippy and will handle well once the sus is dropped and the high wall tires and small alloys are replaced with a low profile setup

got just shy of 2m length in the back.

heres an older photo showing the sound deadening, prior to the ccf foam and panels going up
>>
I don't contribute much to these threads despite having actual experience in the nitty gritty of van-life.
Not because I'm an asshole but because these threads are never serious. Mostly manchildren who dream of running away from adult problems.

But I will chime in with one enlightening fact:
You don't live in a van: You wear it.
Would you wear a jacket every day for a month? Think of how much it's going to stink.
Vandwellers always stink. No amount of washing up in gyms is going to remove the tainted stench from your leathery skin. Because as soon as you enter your hot, humid van that smells of whatever you've been eating the past few weeks, you only contribute to the additive smell.
Normies will notice this. It will affect your job relationships. People will avoid you. You will feel unwelcome everywhere you go (so what's new, right?).

My point is that vandwelling looks nice in a youtube video, but it's just another low nobody with a chance for a stable income should reach. Literally gypsy tier.
>>
>>1042061

wouldnt some of this problems be deterred by proper use of bed sheets and ventilation? and trying your best to not live in your own filth like a pig?

just asking...
>>
>>1042061
I used to drive a taxi part time.
I could smell the other driver everytime I got in the car, even though he wasn't filthy or smelled bad, the car still had a distinct stench of "foreigner".
After well over 12 hours in a closed car it starts to take on a smell. Repeat that every day for months and the smell almost becomes permanent.

Dryer sheets were the solution. I put one in each sunvisor and under the front seats. Replaced every three months.
But before that, a good scrub with interior shampoo and a good misting with a spray bottle filled with a solution of baking soda.

You can definitely be clean and smell fresh. It just takes a lot more work than if you lived in a real house.
People tend to get complacent and cut corners after a while.

The less time you spend in the van the better. Eating and cooking inside is a stupid idea too.

Lock used clothing in an airtight container until you can wash them.
That contributes greatly to the smell.

If you have a woodstove it will also mask the smell. You will smell like bacon instead.
>>
>>1042042
>sus is dropped and the high wall tires and small alloys are replaced with a low profile setup

Why would you do that to an /out/ vehicle?
I am raising my van by 3 inches.
>>
>>1042905
This. Low profile is a mistake.

Big sidewall means better shock absorbsion.
You are reducing your vehicle's life by running low profiles.

Shock absorbers, bushings, mounts, springs, ball joints, etc all get a significant reduction in lifespan.

Low profile tires also can't handle even the slightest bit of off-roading.

Low profile has zero advantages.
>>
>>1042905
because I go /out/ on foot, the vehicle gets me to the trailhead. 98% of my driving is on tarmac, the other 2% is gravel\/dirt track.
>>
>>1041270
Cant the service provide housing for cheap?
Might be good to have the house and yard while you set up the troopy?
>>
>>1042957
You are missing the vetter trails.
You need 4x4 to get to most of the ones i hike and at least good ground clearance for the rest.
But then again i live in the rockies.
>>
>>1036668
Newer model doublewide mobile homes are comfy as hell. I know plenty of people that have a pretty little piece of land in the country with a kept up doublewide with a back deck and above ground pool. Ballin on a budget.
>>
>>1043085
I'm in the UK bro, offroading, be it 4x4, bike or quad, is seriously restricted here.

If I lived in the states I'd for sure get a 4x4
>>
>>1043256
What do you think greenlaning is?

There are thousands of km of unsurfaced roads and trails in the UK, many leading to /out/ as fuck places that would otherwise be inaccessible.
>>
What's the minimum ammount of insulation you would need in a van in the UK to get through Summer & Autumn?

Getting a van to live in as I cant afford rent, need to get through the first few months and will have more money saved in winter so can do a better job insulating then.

Do you need insulation to get through summer & Autumn?

Should i just duct tape a bunch of mylar to the walls?
>>
>>1038456
That's where I was born, anon. My grandparents had some land just outside of Arlington. They died and it was sold, unfortunately. I wish I could have bought it.
>>
>>1036022
the skit was never funny
SNL was never funny, it just gets promoted as goodthink by all the other media and mouthbreathers watch it because they're supposed to
>>
>>1039309
>playing ps4 games instead of superior 20,000 emulated games on a 1W microcomputer and a 30W panel
it's like you don't know anything
>>
>>1043767
>>1043767
bassomatic was funny
>>
>>1043626
Summer and autumn? No insulation needed.

But if you want the cheapest, try bubble wrap.
>>
>>1043273
>many leading to /out/ as fuck places that would otherwise be inaccessible.

yeah no.

show me one place you can get by 4x4 you can't get by foot...
>>
>>1044152
>show me one place you can get by 4x4 you can't get by foot...

You must not live inna southwest.
Many places where you 4x4 for fucking hours and hours then hike.
I would take weeks to do all that on foot.
Also who the fuck wants to cover that much ground in the high desert on foot?
Dont be a tool
>>
>>1044152
How about I just tell you that you're an idiot instead.
Does that work for you?
>>
>>1044141
That reflectrix is garbage.
>>
>>1044161
once again I'm IN THE UK

jesus man, its not one shoe fits all you know
>>
>>1044264
you can but I won't listen, considering your ignorance in assuming you know better than me what it's like in my country ...

A quick google gives me this,

https://pocketbookuk.com/2013/11/02/furthest-point-from-a-road/

and reckons 10mi is furthest you can get from a paved road. I always thought it was slightly more, you can't, for example, get to Cape Wrath as there is no road, but even if it were double and 20mi that'd STILL be a DAYHIKE on FOOT.

My point is, I enjoy my /out/ vehicle as a means of getting inna, not as an inna activity in of itself. This doesn't invalidate your or my opinions, but it certainly means you can fuck right off if you think you're justified in calling me an idiot.
>>
>>1044760
>10mi is furthest you can get from a paved road.
Jesus what a shithole.
>>
>>1044774
The US is 40 times the size of the UK, and has been inhabited (for the intense of infrastructure) for 200 compared to the UK's 2000+. Many trunk roads still follow Roman roads due to topographical advantage, and our oldest longest used road is the Ridgeway which as a route has been used for 5000 years.

tl;dr apples and oranges
>>
>>1044782
excuse my poor syntax, I meant for the purposes of infrastructure
>>
>>1044782
When the US is used up like europe.
I will move.
I pity those who live so far from the frontier.
5000 year old ruins mean fuckall to me. Just a record of human infestation
>>
>>1044788
Your viewpoint betrays your ignorance
>>
>>1044853
>does not share your values.
>must be ignorant
>>
>>1044788
>>1044878

>implying the US isn't "used up"
>implying "using up" somewhere to the point of having to leave is okay
>implying there'll be anywhere else to go
>implying there's a frontier in this global world
>implying that if there were, it'd be the US
>>
>>1044951
Just shut up already.
>>
>>1044951
Once again, all value judgments.
>>
>>1044760
>I won't listen
>>
women want a stable environment. living in a van is pretty much the biggest strike against ever getting laid. and i've had derelict roommates that even had gfs.
>>
>>1045130

You're confusing relationship with getting laid.
>>
>>1045130
That's a great argument for living in a van
>>
>>1042042
>>1041472
post more pics, faggit
>>
>>1035050

Did it to climb stuff and read books while paying (almost) nothing for damn near a year.

It's a good life, but limiting in lots of ways. A friend of mine is currently doing it in grad school in a major US city.

I guess my main advice would be do a trial run for a few weeks/months, then really go for it if it makes monetary and comfort sense, I guess.
>>
>>1045130

Depends on your community and the folks you run with.

"Normal" women? Probs.
Seasonal working, ranger, climber, paddler, dirtbag women? Definitely open to van life dating. I've had success.

It also helps if you keep good hygiene, clean van, good shape, cook well. All the normal "make you attractive" stuff.
>>
>>1039956
Interesting, could you keep /out/ up to date about your status?
>>
File: 1437075850634.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1437075850634.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>1045224
>dirtbag women
>>
File: a6602d.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
a6602d.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
How small can you go? Something like this? I was thinking all I need is a small space on one side to stretch out at night and a small bench on the other for cooking and other shit. I don't need much electricity, I'll just read books and stuff.
>>
File: IMG_3026.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3026.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1045212
Finishing the floor now
>>
>>1045767
Size is ok, but protip, don't get something like that that looks like a pedo van. If you have that kind of thing parked up for long periods of time with curtains drawn/windows blacked, it will definitely attract police attention which you do not want when in most countries van dwelling is illegal.
>>
>>1045767
>Tiny van living
>>
>>1045767
Why even a van? An estate wagon will suit you just fine.
>>
>>1045874
It's about the size of an Astro.
>>
>>1045767
There is a guy in vancouver living in a little ford transit connect.
He is a six foot tall vegan with a tiny penis.
HIs youtube channel is called oneawesomeinch
He seems to do just fine in it but he does not cook very often and just works all the time because he has massive child support.
>>
>>1039240
I wanna live in a NEETmobile going on wacky NEET adventures with all my NEET friends.
>>
>>1046034
Get a live board boat, heaps of NEET boaties.
>>
>>1045865
It should be okay if I'm not parking it more than a day right? I have a fulltime job so it'll be moved around a lot.

>>1045876
True but the one thing I do want is the ability to sit on a small chair without my head hitting the roof

>>1045992
Thanks man I'll look him up.
>>
What kind of jobs do van lifers have?
I've heard of this whole "digital nomad" thing but it can't be all that great when you have no internet connection of your own. Are all vanners stuck working online? What kind of mobile job pays best?
>>
>>1045785
Are you the guy with the Volkswagen caddy?
>>
>>1046150
yep
>>
>>1046238
Excuse me I'm a fucking moron. You said that in the other post and I didn't even saw it. I remember you from previous threads tho, it's a pretty aesthetically vehicle that you have there, anon. Any trips for this summer?
>>
>>1046142
You poor pathetic wage slave. If you live in a van you don't need a job
>>
>>1046267
I live inna van and have a job.
I am able to put $1000 american In the bank every week after taxes and expenses.
Pretty damn happy about it.
>>
>>1046262
yeah I'm doing a road trip down to Spain in a few days,, and then another more /out/ trip to the NW highlands for some munro climbing and wild camping.

Going to tackle furniture for the van after the Summer.
>>
>>1035899
>>confirmed trucker
kek
>>
>>1042926
>Low profile tires also can't handle even the slightest bit of off-roading.
I take my Tiburon out on unmaintained forestry roads all the time...
>>
>>1045130
>women want a stable environment.
What's more stable than knowing that you'll never be short on rent money? Also, I recall watching a video of a freeclimber who lived out of his (parents') van getting interviewed by a hot reporter that couldn't have been more obvious about wanting his nuts.
>>
File: 2017_chevy_express_cargo.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2017_chevy_express_cargo.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
I could use some advice if you guys don't mind. I've been seriously considering the van life for months now. I'm bored and tired of my current living situation. I need things to change. I don't want to pay rent for a home that isn't even mine. And I definitely don't want to be tied down to one location for the rest of my life. I want to be free to go wherever I want, whenever I want.

I've looked at all sorts of car brands and all sorts of car models. I think the Chevy Express Cargo 2017 is the car for me. Do you guys think it would be a good choice for van life? I made my own blueprint as far as what I want to put in it. I've been doing research on van conversion over the past few months too, watching dozens of videos and reading articles. It seems like a challenge but honestly, what better way to spend my time than chasing a dream?

This is the sort of van I've always wanted since I was a kid. I have enough money saved up for a down payment on a new Chevy Express Cargo. My monthly payment on the car would be the same as the rent I pay now, so my financial situation probably won't change. I'll pay more for car insurance and probably gas, but I'm good with my money. I know how to manage myself and keep a close eye on my finances.

I think it's a good idea, what about you guys? Should I go for a new van or try to find a decently priced used one? I would prefer new, but some of my friends have really been making me consider a used car. If I bought a new car, I probably wouldn't finish the monthly payments for five years or so. I'm a patient guy and I don't mind investing all that time into my own car, but it could prove to be a struggle to keep up a steady flow of income for that length of time. Especially if I'm going to be living in this thing that entire time, probably even longer.

TL;DR Need some advice. I just want to call up Chevy tomorrow and place the order, but the voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to think this through more thoroughly.
>>
>>1047596
Chevy Express is the worst van you can get right now.

Too narrow, and low roof.

Best to worst vans:

1) Sprinter/Transit (tie)
2) Ram promaster
3) Nissan NV
4) Chevrolet Express

The Transit and Sprinter are in a class of their own and immesurably better than anythibg else on the market.
>>
>>1047610
Thanks but I'm going with the Chevy as I've already made contact with the dealer. Wish me luck
>>
File: 1489953247922.jpg (698KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489953247922.jpg
698KB, 1600x1200px
>>1047610
>>1047610
You are an idiot.
Its the widest of the old style vans
My bed is sideways in the back and I have a full six feet even after insulation and plywood

That being said I am not sure I would pop for a brand new one.
For one thing they dont have AWD after 2014 and for an out guy thats a big deal.

chevy anon I suggest the 1500 with the 5.3
If I keep it under 70 and do a bit of hypermileing I can get 20 mpg on the interstate.
If you are ordering one think about getting the the G80 locker , not as good as AWD but better than stock
>>
>>1047596
New? Waste of money. enjoy exchanging one monthly expense for another.

Better to buy either pre comp desiel so easy to fix, or one a few years old with low mileage as it's effectively new but without the stupid price.

I have a 2017 plate motor, but I got a heavy good deal on it
>>
>>1046346
Cool stuff. Looking for further updates, mate.

>>1046732
Alex Honnold?
>>
>>1047825
Good luck.
>>
>>1047825
Lmao why are you trying to impersonate me?
>>1047610
>>1047851
>>1047857
Thanks guys, I'll keep all of this in mind! Looks like I'm going for a used 2014 Chevy Express. What's a good price range to keep an eye out for?
>>
>>1035051
stop buying shit you don't need and cancel all your porn subscrbition
>>
>>1035177
sometime i found trucker life quite apearing to me, a minimalism life style, working along that allows me to listen to all kind of audio books.

But is it dangerous to drive truck for long time?>
>>
>>1048348
Its pretty fucking dangerous and the work is really hard.
Long 14 hour days or more and tons of stress.
>>
>>1048468
Don't exaggerate. Driving is easy.
15 min nap every 4 hours and 2 hours of solid sleep will keep you running for days.
Sleep at noon with the sun on your face. It helps you wake up better.

I know. I've done it myself.
>>
>>1044758
>show me one place you can get by 4x4 you can't get by foot...

>Many places where you 4x4 for fucking hours and hours then hike.

>jesus man, its not one shoe fits all you know

When you came in off the street all salty and making bold claims did you see yourself becoming a contrary hypocrite or did it happen without your knowledge.
If you are going to post shit and then immediately backpedal like a bitch when someone points out you are wrong then why even bother posting?

Also a friend took me /out/ when i visited Ireland and we had a good ass time driving around rocks/fields/creeks/thetiniestforestieversaw, but its like 50 degrees and raining the whole time plus the area, unpronouncable irish potato name, gets covered in these tin fast flowing creeks. Not enough to bother a car but I wouldnt want to ford one on foot.
>>
>>1048476
Full size semi?
No you have not
>>
>>1048544
Not a semi, no.
>>
>>1035177
but what if youre not a fag who takes it in the ass at gloryholes and wants to have children to contribute to western civilization?

>>1035900
sounds awful
>>
File: IMG_20170327_112939.jpg (2MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_112939.jpg
2MB, 3328x1872px
I sleep in my little old Toyota half the time in the SF Bay Area. It's really easy to do out here. The picture is of an RV that somehow hasn't been hassled here. I've done a couple one month stints in a normal camper shell where I couldn't even sit up and that sucks. Current camper allows me to sit up in my bed and store things underneath.

Depending on your goals a truck can work very well. You can put a full size camper on it if you want and stay in the woods. Or get a tall contractor's shell if you need to be extremely stealthy.

I haven't done it full time long enough to understand all the negatives, but for the right person it's great. If you don't spend much time indoors, like living alone, but are capable of being social and overcoming the stigma then it could be a good idea.
>>
>>1048610
Thanks for being an honest person
>>
>>1050092

I dont think he had a good time in kansas.
Its not a super tolerant place if you are a crazy vagrant.
>>
File: IMG_20170327_112955.jpg (2MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_112955.jpg
2MB, 3328x1872px
>>1050171
That is good for Kansas
>>
>>1050092
>>1050183

When people say the homeless are mentally ill, that is the type of person they're referring to.
>>
>>1050183
jesus
>>
File: IMG_20170327_112958.jpg (2MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_112958.jpg
2MB, 3328x1872px
>>1050235
>>1050240
Str8 outta Satan's fetid anus
>>
File: IMG_20170327_113001.jpg (2MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_113001.jpg
2MB, 3328x1872px
>>1050259
And lastly...

I kinda like "you have the right to remain retarded". But yeah, there are some mentally ill people in RVs here, or junkies. If you're not worse than this guy you shouldn't get bothered. He was right across the street from the new $3000 studios, so at least he's saving a lot of money while enjoying prime real estate location.
>>
>>1036034
>that baja bug
MUH DIK
>>
>>1035050
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

This is a great article on the reality of #vanlife, although more about the instagram part of things. I found it to be pretty damn sad. I'm trying to find this other article written by a couple who tried it out and found that it was more work and less freedom than expected.

Still a viable option of course, but good to see the behind the scenes of these glamorous pictures.
>>
>>1050277
right? I want one so bad
>>
File: $_3-1.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_3-1.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
>>1047596
The VW T3 is perfect
>>
>>1050438
Front engine WV was a mistake
>>
>>1035177
that sounds like such a cosy life, tell me more friend
>>
>>1050438
That is not a t3, the op pic is.
The good years of those cost a fortune.
A vanagon is much easier to work on
>>
>>1050503
Which one cost a fortune? The T3 or T4?
I viewed a T4 that was for sale for €800 last year.
>>
>>1050584
Its the pop top that makes them crazy expensive.
The tintops are worthless.
Also they are worth much more in america.
>>
>>1037412
Bob from bobs burgers gets one so I'm sure you do.

Me and my gf had one for a while, was coming off of heroin at the time so neglected it and everything died.

They're great fun and I thought about living in one.

One thing that people do is put an opaque tarp over their plot to kill all of the weeds over a year or so.

You could for sure hide a tent under one and live there. Even steal vegetables for food.theres also clean water there.

It's great
>>
>>1050613
So you are an addict and a thief?
Glad I dont know you in real life
>>
>>1035050
Would love to but I live in Canada. You Americans are so lucky. Can just travel with the seasons.
>>
>>1050586
The €800 one was a pop top with a custom fiberglass hi-roof, and custom plywood interior.

It was a retrofit though, not a Westafalia or whatever, so that might alter the value.
Seller had recipts showing the top and interior cost the equivalent of €7000 in 1998.
The interior was moldy and coming apart due to moisture so it needed to be completely rebuilt as well.
>>
>>1050744
there isn't a northern wall going up (yet). you can freely cross the border and spend up to 6 months in the usa at a time.
>>
>>1050760
>Westafalia
This is the money word.
In america 99.9 percent of vw poptops are westys
>>
I would love to do this. But where do you get money for gas and food?
>>
File: 1452182128542.jpg (1MB, 3136x1875px) Image search: [Google]
1452182128542.jpg
1MB, 3136x1875px
id love to live in

>pic related
>>
>>1035179
I laugh every time. Now stop trying to scare me off drugs and get off my board. >>>/o/ is for you.
>>
>>1039828

Are you eurotrash or fucking retarded? Those vans roll 300k easy.
>>
>>1043174

Even some tiny ass singlewides
>>
>>1043174
I used to purchase marijuana from such a person
>>
>>1053287
300k is nothing for a real work van.
It's only a big deal for a dainty little princess soccer mom van the the Astro.
>>
>>1050092
Hey, thats my Motorhome!!!
>>
>>1045130
The only people I know living in a van are women.
>>
File: CoopSparkLN.jpg (55KB, 700x904px) Image search: [Google]
CoopSparkLN.jpg
55KB, 700x904px
>>1041270
Rent in regional or country towns is dirt cheap. Particularly shared accommodation.

It will be difficult to have access to showers / amenities in these areas unless your station has showers for end of shift.

No need to live out of a Patrol or Landcruiser unless your on a camp grounds and going bush / dirt track. A hiace stealth van would be more than appropriate for sleeping and commuting back to Sydney.

In your first year your gonna meet new people and make new friends from work and the area that you will wanna drink ,fuck or relax with (paramedic stressful job) Having a vehicle parked and hiding in an industrial will impede those opportunities.

>vanlife in Aus is setup for backpackers and freelance work. Not so much long term living with a full time job.
>>
https://youtu.be/hRqDvlkWwyQ

This lad is cruising through europe on his bike solo wild camping everywhere, looks pretty epic
>>
>>1037963
vagrancy laws .
Theres also literally a law saying its illegal to live in your vehicle.
>>
>>1055673
Only in a few places and is being challenged
Will soon go away
>>
>>1055673
If you have an address, you cannot be living in your vehicle. It's a law that isn't enforceable.
>>
>>1055713
That is not federal law and places that have it on the books are having a tough time enforcing it.
>>
>>1048526
>I went to a different country to the one you live in

Great point, dude.
>>
>>1046732
She wanted his dick because he's the world's best free soloist and genetically superior to 99.9% of human beans, not because he lived in his van
>>
>>1052224

Thats some zombie apocalypse shit right there.
>>
>>1056864
Who gives a fuck about violins nigga. It's not 1735.
>>
>>1050644
>virtue signaling on 4chan
Did you take a wrong turn at Albuquerque, kiddo?
>>
File: class-c-motorhome.jpg (113KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
class-c-motorhome.jpg
113KB, 400x303px
>>1035050
Never really understood van-dwelling. Why shill out a fuck ton of money to make a van livable, when you could just get a motorhome like pic related, which has basically everything you could ever hope to cram into a van, and much more. Seriously, read up on just how much stuff a basic c-class mobile home has.
>>
>>1061297
You never understood because you're too stupid to.
>>
>>1035155
>>1035169
>>1035176
Why would this be illegal.
>>
>>1061354
Because, buddy, it contravents the city laws on homelessness, vagrancy, zoning, parking, building codes, etc.

There are vandwellers who have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law, given multiple life sentences and the key berryd so deep in wherever that whoever finds it probably does so on chance without ever realizing or pondering it's true purpose.
All of this documented on YouTube btw.

And no, the sovereign man defence doesn't work anymore. They closed that loophole.
>>
>>1061359
Fuck this, thank God I don't live in usa.
>>
>>1061377
Similar things apply in EU.

I can reference a case in Sweden where a man from Denmark was living in a van in his grandfathers farm, while renovating the main house.

The city first put a lien on his property due to unpaid taxes, because the van counts as a square footage to living space, therefore more taxes.

But because he was not living in a permanent address he could not get mail or be notified so the taxes went unpaid.
So then the farm was made for sale at auction, but he still owed back taxes.

Then the new owner of the farm tried to evict him but he claimed it was too cold to leave and that he would be homeless.
So the city agreed to find him an apartment and until then the owner of the farm was suing him for unpaid rent.

Later he was charged and convicted amd had to pay the equivalent of $80,000 and a jail for 6 years.
After four months he gets out with a suspended sentence and tries to get home to Denmark but he doesn't have enough money to pay for the parking so he continues living in the van while at the police station underground parking.
Also he can't leave the parking because the tax on the van is expired.

Anyway eventually he gets caught and another 14 years added to his sentence.
>>
>>1061402
Jesus fuck...why?
>>
>>1061402
I suddenly feel like big brother is watching me.
>>
>>1061402
EU is not a country, how many times do we have to state that. And it's not the first time I notice post-soviet EU members have much, much more civil liberties than the "old" EU states.
>>
>>1036266
>fuck paying rent, ill just pay property tax instead
ok
>>
>>1061533

Where is rent less than property tax?
>>
>>1035050
Yeah I am considering van life.
If all goes well I will have about 700 dollars income a month and may tour the US national parks
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.