[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cooking ware and such…

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

File: P737935_0.jpg (53KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
P737935_0.jpg
53KB, 800x800px
What does /out/ use to prepare some meals?
Haven't found one of the usual flame threads, so I figured I'd start one.

Personally, I have an old MSR Pocket Rocket and it's quite OK, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade it with a heat exchanger pot as in pic related.
Will I really get the "up to 50%" fuel savings that Primus primuses, err… promises? (lol, "up to…"). Can I even use such a pot with the pocket rocket? In the shop, they are all on stoves with large pot-stands, but twith mine, the put stands would rest inside the heat exchanger ring. I think this would be beneficial, since it could be more stable (that's my issue with the pocket rocket, you can not let go of the pot while cooking), but the flames would get to the exchanger sideways.

Or should I forget about it, and built me some UL cookware out of beercans?
>>
BUMP
UMPB
MPBU
PBUM
>>
>>1033216
Just buy or make a small windscreen for your Pocket Rocket. That'll help fuel efficiency a bit during normal use and a ton during high-wind days.

Heat exchangers DO work, but generally not well enough to justify the extra weight and bulk for anything other than fairly large LP stoves. If you're cooking with white gas or isobutane the fuel weight is pretty negligible compared to the extra weight and bulk of the pot.

The sole exception to this is a Jetboil Zip, but that's a unit designed specifically around a heat exchanger.
>>
File: IMG_20170604_142058.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_142058.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
Use the Esbit pocket stove. Pros are that you can use sticks/wood and the fuel tablets.
>>
I am too autistic when it comes to mess kits/cooksets to be trusted to buy what I actually need.

I'll spend hours look on ebay/wherever and then never buy anything.
>>
Elaborate soda can stoves.
>>
>>1033413
>use the Esbit pocket stove
No thanks, I'd like my water to be above 100*F within the hour.
>>
File: IMG_20170604_142106.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_142106.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>1033494
I live in an area with a lot of birch. If you can't get the water boiling in 10 minutes using birchbark one is most definitely an inept retard.

The tablets are just a nice alternative to have.
>>
>>1033507
And I live in an area that doesn't have a birch tree within 500 miles. Instead I've got scrub oak and loblolly pine.

You're not gonna get enough scrub oak burning at once to cook anything ever in an esbit because it can't grow straight for a single millimeter, and loblolly burns sooty, fast and cold.
>>
File: IMG_5753.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5753.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I just got a snowpeak Gigga power stove, makes boiling water real quick
>>
I love my little single burner iso fueled stove, but thinking of getting something i can fuel with methylated spirits since its hard to resupply iso fuel on long trips.
>>
>>1033359
>Heat exchangers DO work, but generally not well enough to justify the extra weight and bulk for anything other than fairly large LP stoves.
Are there any tests done on this?
The size of the pot and flame probably should also affect efficiency a bit.
For a small stove, as the pocket rocket mentioned in the op, would a largeish pot be good (lots of flat surface area for the flame to spread) or a smaller one (hot fumes can pass over the sides of the pot)?
>>
>>1033494
>>>1033413
>>use the Esbit pocket stove
>No thanks, I'd like my water to be above 100*F within the hour.
You stupid basement dwelling nigger.
also - use celsius. (You stupid nigger).
>>
File: White_Box_Stove_Image.jpg (37KB, 288x512px) Image search: [Google]
White_Box_Stove_Image.jpg
37KB, 288x512px
>>1033216
I use a white box stove with a ti pot. Serves me very well. If you want to make your own burner OP check out this guys channel. He's a genius. https://youtu.be/fbHHQrh9m58
>>
>>1033807
>ti pot.
are they really worth the price increase over Al or Stainless steel?
The wheight difference does not seem to be that big as the price difference.
>>
File: 0766086_1.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
0766086_1.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1033216
MSR ashit, ive yet to find gear from them that isnt plastic or coated in teflon.

for long term durability and reliability you want stainless steel.
dave canterburys shop has some very expensive ones but are top of the line.
i dont recommend titanium unless youre really hardcore ultralight, its sticky as fuck for some reason and is a lot harder to clean than SS.
also finding titanium nesting pots is a chore for some reason.

pic related, based dagostina cookset i got for 50$CAD, they also have a fuckhueg car camping set.
>>
>>1034073
Got it from alp express for £29 or something. So wasn't much money and I get to look fancy.
>>
>>1034086
s/alp express/alpkit/
>>
>>1034073
If youre comparing grams saved to pounds spent then eventually 100 grams lighter for 15-20 quid more on something thats as effective and durable is mad good
>>
>>1033807
ma nigga, I use the same set up.

first gen white box + TOAKs pot

>>1034073
they're shit for frying stuff due to te poor heat conductivity of Ti, but that also has the advantage in that the handle / pot lid cools down very quickly.

Considering they aren't that expensive and pretty much are a lifetime buy, yeah they're worth it.
>>
>>1033216
Am I gonna die if I use an aluminum mess kit?
>>
>>1034235
Everyone dies
>>
>>1034081
>titanium nesting pots
>Chore

You clearly dont go /out/
Toaks has a full line of titanium pots that nest
>>
>>1034112
The white box is such an awesome burner. I still like to make my own beer can stoves, but just for fun as the WB is light and boots water fast! It's also cut down the amount of fuel I need to carry.
>>
>>1033216
The Spider Eta is great.

Yes the heat exchanger works nicely. The Eta also has a wind shield. And there's a tube so the gas/fuel source can be upside down if needed. (Like in cold/winter)

But do check your requirements first before deciding. I say this because the Primus Spider Eta is overkill for windless summer wandrings.
>>
>>1034409
Yeah it's great. And because it's one piece construction it's basically indestructible. mine is dented and beat up, it's 7 years old.

What I've done as well is block a couple of the holes on the side which allows me to orientate the pot so the handle is over the gap in flames and doesn't heat red hot.
>>
I use an aluminium pot+pan that was only €7.99 at Decathlon.
How likely is it I will get aluminium poisoning from this?
>>
>>1034240
>Toaks has a full line of titanium pots that nest
i own some, the ones that were available at the time did not nest.
>>
>>1034722
0% likely.
>>
>>1034722
not likely, just prepare for getting a lot of shit burnt on to your pan, and maybe a few welds breaking
>>
Steel kettle to boil water.
Cast Iron for actual cooking.
>>
File: yotsuba_oao_by_pardner-d49y3ff.jpg (89KB, 761x350px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba_oao_by_pardner-d49y3ff.jpg
89KB, 761x350px
>>1034716
Holy. Shit. That is such a good idea.
>>
File: sodacan.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
sodacan.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
I did a 5 day backpack with one of these. It fucking sucked don't do it. My friends just laughed at me for it.
>>
>>1035095
Shoulda made a capillary hoop stove! https://youtu.be/fbHHQrh9m58
>>
Since there is already a bit discussion on aluminum vs. Ti vs. Steel, can I add a Q to this?!:

How hardy is Ti when it comes to cleaning?

(non-stick) Al totally sucks, but with stainless steel, I can just clean the insides with sand, if I'm so inclined. Can I also do this with Ti, or will this fuck up the pot?
>>
>>1034858
>bringing cast iron (or even steel for that matter) backpacking

good idea m8
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>1036519
You don't know if anon's hiking, backpacking, car camping, hitchhiking, through hiking, stealth camping, bikepacking, backyard camping, back acre camping, squatting, canoeing, kayaking, or homeless.

Also cast iron skillets are GOAT and it's easy to see someone prioritize the weight for it.

>hmm bring hatchet I probably won't need or bring skillet?
>hmm bring muhgun I won't need or bring skillet?
>>
>>1036509
afaik it's not bad, I rarely actually cook anything in my pot and usually just use it to heat up water which I then add to my food or cup. The odd times I have actually cooked in it I've had no trouble cleaning it. I have an off cut from a trekking towel to rub it with which works really well.
>>
>>1036509
In between stainless and nonstick aluminum.

Buy and use one of the pan scraper cards, they're a fraction of an ounce, about a buck each, and work quite well.

I also know people who take Magic Erasers with them since they're light as shit.
>>
>>1033216

Just a stainless pot and lid over a fire

Nothing flash
>>
Not really a cooking gear question, but related and I don'T want to start a new thread for it:
>How long do you have to cook water to make it "safe"?
Stuff from mountain streams where a cow might or might not have shat in, or the snow remaining in some shadowed depression or avalanche cone form last winter.
>>
File: IMG_20170613_233859.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_233859.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1036627
My nigga, but I bring a cooker as well for a lunchtime hot drink and easy cooking if the weather is shit.

If you want a good bulletproof cooking set for cheap, buy
>The cheapest, thinnest, most no frills steel billy pot you can find at your local k-mart or Wal-Mart equivalent
>The same in a stainless steel mug
>The cheapest pocket rocket clone you can find
>your preferred utensil
>bic lighter

There. Pic related (plus my long spoke, dunno where it went) is the best cooking kit known to man, prove me wrong fagets
>>
>>1033807
>>1034112
>>1034409
>White box
So which one is the white box? Is it just a certain model of the beercan stoves or something else?

I like the idea of beer can stoves, and alcohol burners (i.e. trangia) are a proven (though time consuming) system, so I'm tempted to give it a try, especially considering their price.

How likely am I going to starve, if I decide to built one next thursday and go out friday till sunday?

Which one should I try? There's hundreds of them. E.g. here http://zenstoves.net/ or in the youtube channel upthread, ranging from a cup filled with burning liquid to something straight out of CERN.
>>
>>1037411
The white box is made by these guys http://whiteboxalcoholstoves.com
>>
>>1037411
If you're going to build one TEST it before heading out and relying on it.
>>
>>1037461
For real heavy stuff, sure, but I'm in Europe, so if it does not work, I'll just walk 3 hours to the next road and call a taxi, so I'm certainly not going to use it untested in a life or death situation, but I'm still curious about the general sucess rate for building these things.

>>1037460
Thanks. I was just searching for white box + beer can and on zentstoves and such. I really have to give up on using google like back in the nineties, and start typing full questions in it.
>>
If I'm only cooking for myself or one other; MSR Windboiler(burner).

Shit is fast, packs up easy and yeah it works in the wind.
>>
>>1037647
Anecdotally I've built three so far, one worked well the other to while better made didn't boil water as fast as the one I threw together which was annoying.

I wasn't too worried about life and death situations, but just that it would stuck of did have to cancel a trip because the stove didn't work as intended. I've had to go home due to untested get and it sucked.
>>
>>1037460
So it's just a homemade stove, made from a 'rare' can-bottle, with a nice finish?

What makes it better than what you'd make yourself?

In EU, this thing costs €25, which seems a bit steep.

I think I know a supermarket that sells a beer in can-bottles, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow after work.
>>
>>1037958
Personally the white box is made to a standard that I couldn't achieve at home due to a lack of tools and skills. I picked mine up for <£20 which I though was a great price for a very light, well made, alcohol burner. It's not made out of beer cans so it's much more durable than even the best made beer can stove. Plus it's not a basic stove as the cavity contains some sort of wicking material.

But if you make a nice stove post pics, I love to see what people can make.
>>
>>1033807
>https://youtu.be/fbHHQrh9m58
>>1035103
>https://youtu.be/fbHHQrh9m58
This vid looks really great, but how do these things work with normal pot sizes? In the vid, it takes 5 minutes to boil a little 400ml mug of water, which seems OK, if you just want a light setup to make your self a cup of tea, but how does it scale for cooking for two adults? When I'm doing pasta or something, I'm easily getting close to two liters. If it scales lineraly, that would be around 25 minutes, needing two refils and about 70+ ml of fuel.

>>1035095
>I did a 5 day backpack with one of these. It fucking sucked don't do it. My friends just laughed at me for it.
And this seems to confirm my suspicion, but apparantly, the stove above is supposed to be better, but how so?

Or are they really only a "toy" for the UL solo hiker?
>>
File: Scramble Cart.png (215KB, 588x614px) Image search: [Google]
Scramble Cart.png
215KB, 588x614px
>>1036519
Use a game cart. You can bring anything you want.
>>
File: Rice and Quinoa - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Rice and Quinoa - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
I'm still testing this rocket stove out. Here I'm combining it with a simple thermal cooker. I'm making rice and quinoa. The food comes to a boil then gets placed into the thermal cooker for the rest of the cooking (25-30 mins for white rice/45 for brown rice in thermal cooker).
>>
File: biolite.jpg (637KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
biolite.jpg
637KB, 1000x667px
>>1033216
Anybody has opinions about biolite stoves?
Im interested in buying one cuz where i live, i cant have any fuel based stoves (butane, propane, etc)
>>
>>1037993
>are they really only a "toy" for the UL solo hiker?
Pretty much. They're an incredibly niche item (ultrapoorfags and ultraliters).

They have a metric asston of disadvantages and only one real advantage.
-cooks slower than fuck
-if you want to use a fuel that isn't highly toxic and produces large amounts of soot and noxious fumes it will cook even slower than slower than fuck
-extremely fuel-inefficient, unless you're able to resupply every 2-3 days you're carrying far more weight in fuel than you would combined with an isobutane stove and a 227g canister
-cannot use pots over about 0.75L without a separate pot stand
-gets BTFO by light breezes
-difficult to start in sub-freezing weather even with specialty fuels
-clogs easily and rapidly, almost impossible to field-clean
-less than 1oz lighter than several common isobutane stoves (pocket rocket 1, snow peak litemax)
vs
+lightest stove possible at around 1oz depending on construction

>>1039173
>requires the battery powered fan to work
It's shit
>>
>>1039220
What else would you recommend?
>>
>>1039229
A multifuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite International/Universal.
>butane
>isobutane
>propane and propane/butane blends
>white gas
>petrol
>highway (low sulfur) diesel
>kerosene in an emergency
You get the ultra fast, ultra efficient cook times of butane/isobutane in warm weather or low altitude, you can get fuel literally fucking anywhere, it's fully user serviceable, and the entire setup weighs about 5-6 ounces including the various fuel adaptors.

The other option is if you don't hike inna cold mountains or don't intend to be places where resupply is likely, get a tiny canister stove like a Pocket Rocket or Litemax and just plan around cold weather with the various blends.
>>
>>1039229
You can always just bring jerky, meal bars, nuts, and shit like that and just forego the fucking stove. The point is to get calories in your body. Just stay at home if you want luxury and a stove.
>>
>>1033507
These are just overpriced British Army stoves. Get ex military stock cheaper online.
>>
>>1037993
The beer can stove I made boiled 500 ml of water in ~10 mins which is enough for two dehydrated meals. Or one and a hot drink. If made proper they are very efficient. Their main down side IMO is how delicate they are.
>>
>>1039173
If you have any DIY skills at all you can make one yourself for much cheaper and it will perform a lot better, without need for forced air on the cooling side of the Peltier module.
>>
>>1039329
>make an amazing aluminum soda can alcohol stove
>drop it while walking and step on it

I was never able to get it just right for that type of efficiency ever again for some reason. I moved on to rocket stoves and never looked back.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.