[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stargazing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20151029_103923.jpg (136KB, 646x646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151029_103923.jpg
136KB, 646x646px
Best spots in the US? I want to do it this summer, I'm willing to drive up to 20 hours from Tennessee.
>>
high elevation desert far from a city-nm, ut, az, nv
>>
File: sw dark.jpg (469KB, 1650x773px) Image search: [Google]
sw dark.jpg
469KB, 1650x773px
>>1032543
>https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=5&lat=4512246&lon=-11560357&layers=B0TFFFFFF
>>
>>1032514

Southern Utah...Natural Bridges National Monument has been officially named an International Dark Sky Park (or something like that)
>>
>>1032514
Look up "bortle scale map" and go from there. There's very few places wast of the Mississippi that are a 3 or 2 and there's absolutely nowhere that's a 1 unless you go up to northern Canada. Or 300 miles on the ocean.
>>
>>1032514
Maryland
>>
>>1032514
Big Bend National Park in Texas is (I think) technically the darkest place in the continental US. I went there last year and the stars were pretty amazing
>>
Go to the dryest and the highest place you can go anon
>>
>>1032514
Steel Creek Campground in Ozark National Forest, Arkansas. Wont be too bad of a drive for you and the stars were amazing when i was there in February.
>>
>>1032514
Does anyone know if Norway (in summer) is good for stargazing?
>>
>>1034749
Probably better in the winter. You know, when it actually gets dark.
>>
>>1034763
I know but I'm going in the summer with some friends, not just going there to stargaze. Just wondering how good the conditions are.
>>
>>1034769
pretty bright. might have a shot if you're in the southern parts. up north it doesn't even get dark
>>
>>1032905
Texfag reporting and can confirm.
>>
>>1032851
please tell me where because the only good spot i've been to is assateague
>>
File: eclipse_full_map.jpg (1MB, 3150x1650px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse_full_map.jpg
1MB, 3150x1650px
Tennessee is going to be a great spot to see the Solar eclipse this summer on august 21st
>>
File: ia77juS.jpg (221KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
ia77juS.jpg
221KB, 1000x667px
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

lots of light pollution maps will go easy on the light pollution - or so to speak. They'll ease up the results and as a result, there will be a lot of areas where the map will say there's not a lot of light pollution but there really is. This one is the best i've found so far.

There are some spots around the western and southwestern regions of Illinois that I take pic related out to on some weekends.
>>
>>1032514
I had a good time stargazing the last couple of nights in a place near a little town called rustic colorado in the poudre valley.
>>
Big Bend, New Mexico has better spots because of the elevation but it's probably more than 20 hours
>>
File: 20170611_114651_HDR-1.jpg (1MB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_114651_HDR-1.jpg
1MB, 2880x1620px
I spent a couple days visiting a friend recently in some little fart of a ghost town in the high Mojave. I sat on the porch until the moon came up, and I got a little teary-eyed.
I don't know how good it technically is, but being from urban southwest Michigan, it was a sight to see. Here's a shitty photo I took from the side of the road.
>>
>>1039159
Man I'd probably sudoku myself if I lived east of the Mississippi
>>
>>1032514
Fuck that. Just find a good spot away from towns when there aint a moon
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.