[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kayaks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: big rig vs big tuna.jpg (183KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
big rig vs big tuna.jpg
183KB, 1440x1080px
After 3 Summers of floating rivers in my ~$300 Walmart kayak, I want to upgrade to a real one.

I can't decide between the Jackson Big Rig or the Jackson Big Tuna.

I want something versatile that I can take in ponds catching bass and trout, rivers and reservoirs catching catfish, or inshore catching some saltwater fish.

But I also want something in the 500-600lb weight capacity range to carry all of my camping gear.

I like the Big Rig because it's wide and stable and built for fishing and has plenty of storage space. I like the Big Tuna because it comes with a live well, but there's a lack of storage space. It's a tandem so I guess I could bungee down my camping gear with it in solo configuration, but then it would get a lot more wet if I capsize.

Are there any other kayaks in the <$1,700 range that offer the width and size of the Big Rig but also comes with a live well? I could rig some crate into a live well that goes behind the seat but then I would be losing tackle storage space.
>>
>>1032083

Might want to consider the Hobie mirage kayaks or the Native watercraft ultimate or mantaray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya5r7DIdLHs
>>
>>1032083
Seems like one's better for you for fishing, and one's better because of camping. Which do you care about more? Pick that one.
I've learned before that sometimes the "do-it-all" kayak does nothing well. Granted, I know way more about whitewater boats than I do this kind. Anywhere you can go to demo these? Check out the trim, etc?
>>
>>1032083
First off, unless you're TRULY MASSIVE, as in 300lbs+, pretty much every kayak you can cram your camping gear in will have plenty of weight capacity to do so. The issue is storage room, not weight capacity.

That being said, pretty much all the actually-good fishing kayaks will have plenty of storage room for camping shit. All that front deck space is pretty much unused in an angling kayak because you really can't reach it when you're sitting in the kayak, and most of them have large tankwells in back that unless you're using as a livewell/cooler holder will be mostly empty.
>>
>>1032083

Get a canoe.
>>
File: canoe 9.jpg (811KB, 2092x2789px) Image search: [Google]
canoe 9.jpg
811KB, 2092x2789px
>>1034968
>The issue is storage room, not weight capacity.

Not true if you ever want a trolling motor with batteries in it. I sometimes put 150+ lbs of batteries in front of my canoe (3 deep cycle 27 series). Gets me a 20+ mile range.

Canoe cost me $400 ten years ago used.
>>
>>1036606
yeah kayaks are much easier to propel tho.

A single car-battery-sized deep cycle will run a 30lb thrust trolling motor for around 50 hours at the second highest setting, and a 30lb thrust trolling motor will propel a 12' angling kayak at around 7mph at that setting.

And if you're needing multiple days' worth of battery, take a fucking solar charger and 2 trolling motor specific batteries..
>>
I am in the same boat as you. Ive gone kayaking many times and am comfortable with it. But I dont own one and I want to avoid getting a walmart pooptier. Id rather save and just get a good one I can take care of and last me a long time. For me, simply having it out on the water is what I really want, though fishing and whatnot is something I see myself doing also.
>>
File: trak-2-touring-kayak-0.jpg (360KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
trak-2-touring-kayak-0.jpg
360KB, 750x500px
Anybody here into /seakayak/ing?
>>
hijacking your thread for general purposes.

i went kayaking last weekend, i don't know any of the details about the kayaks. i think they were pretty basic sit-in style. it was the first time i've ever kayaked. we went 17 miles on a level I-II river that was running a little low, so i was scooting across some rocks at some of the rapids. i loved pretty much every minute of it, and i'd like to get my own kayak (or maybe two [or three]).

we did some fishing from the kayaks we were using. both kayaks had a circular reservoir for water & fish storage. that was really nice. my cousin's kayak also had a couple of rod holder cup things that he said were for trolling. those were cool, also.

anybody have any advice/recommendations for a beginner looking at getting a kayak for some easy rivers/streams (like maybe up to level III), and a kayak for fishing reservoirs/lakes/creeks/rivers?
>>
>>1037409
If you are looking to kayak class IIIs, get a hardshell playboat and learn how to roll/understand basic hydrology. It can be expensive, but it's a fantastic way to experience the river. Usually swimming pools will let you practice during open hours.
>>
>>1037617
This is good advice. Look for a decent used boat. Craigslist, Boatertalk, Mountainbuzz.
Look up the local paddling club. They may sponsor pool roll sessions, etc.
Try and find a copy of a good kayak instruction video, Eric Jackson's and Ken Whiting's are good.
Remember, in addition to a boat, you need a good paddle (that fits you), a decent helmet and PFD, float bags (for the stern of a whitewater boat), spray skirt, etc...and a roof rack. It can be an expensive hobby. Easier to find gear and buddies if you live near a popular river.
>>
>>1037617
>>1037629

thanks for the detailed info.
>>
>>1032083

Jackson Kraken 15. Superb bit of kit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.