[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternatives to sleeping bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
So I'm considering switching to using just a sleeping bag slip and this wool Pendleton blanket instead of my sleeping bag. The coldest it should get where I'm going should be in the low 40's to high 30's. With appropriate long johns and a good wool cap, will I freeze /out/?

Alternatives to sleeping bags general, anything you've used or heard of being used?
>>
>>1031187
Why? That's bulkier, heavier, and more autistic than any sleeping bag.
>>
>>1031190
I've done it before and found the blanket to be more comfortable and basically as warm, didn't smell either after two weeks (unlike my bag). The weight was frustrating though. I'm just curious if anyone else has tried something similar and has any advice
>>
"Hop in anon! It's fresh and still warm!"
>>
>>1031187
I sleep with a down topquilt during the warmer seasons. The sleeping pad provides all the warmth and padding so a sleeping bag is just more weight that isn't doing anything under you
>>
>>1031187
How about meth. You can go a week without needing a sleeping bag.
>>
>>1031215
Seems expensive, desu.
>>
File: firebed.jpg (71KB, 490x363px) Image search: [Google]
firebed.jpg
71KB, 490x363px
Pic related is super intensive but I can only imagine its comfortable. Never have done it and it seems like a good hassle but it's gotta be worth the effort you put in.

And no need for a sleeping mat, just get a tiny blanket to avoid wind chill.
>>
>>1031233
Umm fire needs oxygen to burn anon
>>
>>1031345
But earth is a super effective insulator, so the embers will stay hot for hours.
>>
>>1031187
Just use a sleeping pad an quilt.

Not like a quilt your grandma made, but a top quilt. Lighter than a sleeping bag and much less restrictive.

Wool blankets are amazing until you have to carry them. They're just too heavy.
>>
>>1031735
This + a wool liner for added warmth and all the odor prevention benefits of a wool blanket
>>
File: lul.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
lul.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>1031199
lol
>>
>>1031233
Enjoy root fire...
>>
File: inter.jpg (182KB, 500x619px) Image search: [Google]
inter.jpg
182KB, 500x619px
>>1031225
Not if ur rich in head teeth.
>>
File: traditionalKilt.jpg (135KB, 516x672px) Image search: [Google]
traditionalKilt.jpg
135KB, 516x672px
>>1031187
So as everyone likes to jerk off about, dudes used wool blankets before sleeping bags. I like it so I'mma throw in my 25cents.

>Spoiler I know they're heavy, less efficient, not perfect whatever. I own real sleeping bags and quilts, I just like to do this for my shorter personalized brand of autism for reenacting history larping faggotry.
Without any further ado.

>How to Camp Out by John Gould
Legit civil war vet gives the young hipsters of 1890's advice on how real men camped. He describes in pretty short but good detail how to chose & use a blanket. He recommends sewing two together and lining it with a cotton "twill" sheet, effectively making a BAG that you might sleep in. Who woulda guessed right?

>Kilts
No, I'm not talking that mini skirt that your wear when you're on chat roulette trying to trap. Real deal kilts are big things of cloth. It might be annoying as shit to try and put one on in the middle of a rain storm, but it's a way to not wear pants so it's cool in my book. Pic Related.
>>
File: confederate-prisoners.jpg (182KB, 1000x922px) Image search: [Google]
confederate-prisoners.jpg
182KB, 1000x922px
>>1031855
>one last thing
You'll need to seriously consider thickness of blanket. Thick wool blankets get expensive fast like- this shit belongs on a $20,000 couch set in a mansion expensive. Especially when those shits are pendletons or whatever name brand crap.

If you want something you can sleep in innawoods and not GAF, sew two or three thinner surplus blankets together instead (like completely together, not a bag).
>>
>>1031187
Get job in the city and get a hooker on the weekends. Eventually you will make one of them your girlfriend
>>
>>1031765
A silk liner can serve about the same purpose if you're weight conscious. S
>>
Also OP, do you even woobie?

Google poncho liners. They're great cheap blankets that can be used in a variety of ways.
>>
>>1031200
I want to try a top quilt but my problem is that I toss and turn and fold my legs and all kinds of shit. The sleeping bag goes with me. Will I find myself still within the top quilt like I would a blanket, or?
>>
>>1032023
Many quilts have a foot box and many more have straps that you can run under your pad. To me, it's really nice being able to stick my foot out if I get too hot- just like at home.
>>
>>1031199
Is this how skinwalkers are born?
>>
>>1031917
I've gone back and forth on getting a woobie.

>Lightweight sleeping bag

What temperature are these comfortable to? How far could I push one?

>Insulation layer when you take a break in the fall

I could easily see a liner working for this.

Cons:

>Bulky?
>Looking like a tryhard tacticool wannabe?
>Not really great at anything?

How warranted are those, do you think? The ones I see that don't look like cheap garbage all seem to be in some camo pattern.

I've also considered an HPG Mountain Serape for this role, but a woobie seems like a cheaper way to test the idea. Also, do I look like a wanna-be if I call it a woobie? It's fun to say.
>>
>>1032122
dude, literally no one cares if you have a woobie in the woods, let alone what you call it. Just get one and try it out. I feel like 99% of people who've tried one like it.
>>
>>1032122
I can see it being useful.

My current set up is either a -20C surplus bag, OR a 5C down bag which I supplement with a DIY down quilt when necessary.

I could see a woobie replacing the down quilt with the only downside being compressibility and weight.

I like the idea of a bomb proof version of my down quilt basically.
>>
>>1031855

I have used a large wool blanket done up like the bottom right pic and can confirm it was maximum comfy. Don't know about hauling it through the woods, but it's fucking amazing.
>>
>>1031867

Alternatively just use a wool blend and get the highest ratio of wool you can afford. Even 80/20 wool/poly is significantly cheaper than 100 wool.
>>
>>1032276
Oh yeah definitely. The blend makes it last longer, and much more resistant to shrinking. Wayy better for out shit.
>>
>>1031187
bulky, heavy as fuck
why would you?

if you want more ventilation than a sleeping bag there are far better options than wool even if you insist on getting a blanket

the big issue is loss of insulating air, if you get wind chill all night oh boy are you in for a shitty time, especially if water or insects are involved

some people say a liner+blanket combo, it would probably work oK but at that point what are you really gaining, you're in a sleeping bag that can get tangled or fall off
>>
Did it one time June in southern ontario with a blanket, mosquito net and a tarp shelter.

Definitely one of the worst nights I've ever had. Freezing cold, bug net was too small and tarp only blocked wind from 3 directions.

I was an idiot about it, but I think it shows that its only really applicable in certain scenarios.
>>
File: IMG_1572.jpg (30KB, 511x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1572.jpg
30KB, 511x288px
I have this one. Is smaller and lighter than a sleeping bag. And it keeps you warm.
>>
File: blanket_snow.jpg (196KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
blanket_snow.jpg
196KB, 1200x800px
>>1031187
Go ask a the homeless thread what kind of blanket they use. They prolly will have the best idea
>>
>>1032878
>only blocked wind from 3 directions
Huh, how is that an issue? What kind of weird dimension do you sleep in where wind comes from all 4 directions?
>>
>>1033282
The 3rd one i think m8
>>
>>1032248
God I am oddly turned on by this.
>>
>>1033462
So you decided to bed down in a tornado?
That takes some balls of steel anon.

Wind doesn't just go in all directions at once, it some times shifts directions, but not all four at once. Even so, why are you not picking a spot with natural shelter from at least one direction of wind?
>>
>>1031192
I'll take a light fleece blanket when car-camping with my family in the summer, it's usually too hot for any of my sleeping bags anyway even on a "cold" night.

Otherwise, hammock topquilts are pretty fuggin' awesome for anything other than deep-winter or high-alpine camping, even when used in a tent. 99% of the benefits of a mummy bag at about 70% of the weight.
>>
>>1032122
>what temperature are these comfortable to?
There's 2 varieties: The military issue ones that are generic polyfill, which is warm enough down to about 60*F as a standalone (they're really not very warm). Then the aftermarket ones that are Thinsulate, which are warm enough down to around 45*F as a standalone.
>I could easily see a liner working [as an insulation layer for breaks]
It would, but take a gander at the "field jacket liner". Same material but sewn into a pseudo-jacket, designed to be buttoned into an M65 field jacket for cold weather. Military calls them smoking jackets or woobie jackets.
>bulky?
Yeah kinda. They're not really compressible. However they don't weigh much (thinsulate ones weigh less than polyfill ones).
>looking like a tryhard tacticool wannabe?
They make them in several solid colors as well as all the current and recent mil camo patterns. Doesn't get much less tactical than NWU or ABU pattern, and nobody's gonna give a shit if you get it in M84 woodland (which most of the surplus ones will be).
>Also, do I look like a wanna-be if I call it a woobie? It's fun to say.
Generally only prior mil will get the reference, everyone else will just assume you're a millennial. The mil guys won't give a shit or congratulate you on knowing its "true" name.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.