[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quilt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 5816_source_1479822516.jpg (402KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
5816_source_1479822516.jpg
402KB, 2048x2048px
Hey /out/lings, I am about to pull the trigger on an enlightened equipment revelation quilt. I'm a little held back on what temperature rating i should go for. About me...i live in bc, canada. I sleep usually moderately warm and i usually hike to some high mountain ranges... i also want to do winter camping in the same areas. I'm boiling this decision down to a 10 or 0 F quilt. is the extra weight and money worth it between the two? I also have a cocoon silk mummy wrap that supposedly adds ~5f to warmth. Thank you in advance :)
>>
I too am looking for a sleeping bag, Preferably not over £100(or not too much over) for -12 degrees Celsius, as small as possible, and no bright colours
>>
>>1031141
>cocoon silk mummy wrap that supposedly adds ~5f to warmth
9-10F
>>
>>1031167
What do you mean 9-10? It adds that much?
>>
Take whatever lowest temps you expect to camp in, and then subtract 10 degrees. That's the quilt you need.

Example, if you expect 10 degree temps, get the 0 quilt.

That gives you a little buffer in case the temps drip unexpectedly. Quilts are much easier to vent if you're a little too warm, so I wouldn't worry about being too warm. Id use the liner just to add a few degrees if you're expecting really cold temps.
>>
Does anyone know of a site that lists average alpine temperatures?
>>
>>1031288
I know... it is hard to pick for me because often the temperatures can change dramatically... not to mention the mountain tops i believe average 1C to -8C
>>
>>1031146
Kill goose, wear as hat.
>>
>>1031340
You can do the rule of thumb, subtract 3.5 deg F for each thousand feet of elevation. In reality forecasting in mountainous terrain is incredibly hard because of the topography. Best weather site I've used is spotwx with the HRRR NAM RAP models which are all non hydrostatic. People bring up mountain-forecast.com, but in my experience their forecasts are completely divorced from reality and science.
>>
>>1031146
For your budget down is downright out. But they are the lightest, so if you change your mind, check into East European down bags. You can find llight and good quality and they can accommodate custom choices at the factory. Not for 100 quid though.

Synthetic is generally cheaper so if you are hard set on 100 £ then you look for synthetic filling with your chosen comfort temp, it is a rather straightforward calculation as there won't be many choices.

Don't diss the bright colors, unless it is a real mission requirement vs. aesthetic preference. If you get into trouble it can save your ass.
>>
>>1031141
It's hard to say as only you know how you feel the cold.

Other than that, I have their 30F Enigma quilt and love it. Super bit of kit.
>>
Well OP here. I opted for the 0 degree, easier to take layers away than struggle for warmth. The waiting game begins
>>
>>1031382
Is that generally true? About 2° C for 1000 ft?
>>
>>1032027
Generally, yeah, it's called the lapse rate. But there are huge variations around the world and dependent on weather, so it's a very rough guideline.
>>
if you're cheap enough just carry garbage bags, sleep inside a garbage bag inside a shitty sleeping bag.
garbage bags are easily one of the best insulators you can wear for your money
>>
>>1032155
Ive always thought about that... but i always think that i will end up buried in the woods in my own bags
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.