[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rope thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 6432.jpg (6KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
6432.jpg
6KB, 228x221px
>I didn't practice any of the knots I meant to

I wanted to get a hammock for camping, I figure with a tarp and woobie as long as it isn't snowing out I can rough it with that for a few days. What poundage of rope would work for that though? I'm sure I should plan on taking more than I plan but I'm not sure either on that.
>>
woopie slings and treestraps for the tarp, paracord for the tarp
>>
>>1030521
for the hammock i mean and then for the tarp, i mean
>>
>>1030521
>woopie slings
I never heard of those. I'm only familiar with tents, while I love the things they do have a few drawbacks.
Is 440 cord okay for making those? Being able to adjust it is pretty clever using the berry I would of just used knotted loops and carbines. Going to try to keep an eye out for amsteel now atm only have some 440 cord. Preferably wouldn't even bother with it if I didn't have to but just for the sake of simplicity I'd rather keep it all one type of rope
>>
File: x-hammock-tree-straps-xx.jpg (271KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
x-hammock-tree-straps-xx.jpg
271KB, 800x800px
>>1030553
Well, in theory 440 paracord (which has a tensile strength of 44lb no?) would technically be strong enough but as I understand it, paracord stretches which will make it absolute schidt for a hammock, and also when it's wet it has a markedly decreased tensile strength. Amsteel doesn't stretch, fatigue, or absorb water. Tt doesn't wick water at all for that matter, meaning if it's raining there's less chance of water getting into your hammy from the ends. You're gonna need something better than paracord for the hammock, for the tarp it's fine. Also tree straps are a lot easier than rope and they don't damage the tree's capillaries.
>>
>>1030557
Well they say 440 pounds strength but I've heard not to test that too much, the polymer it's made out of I did hear doesn't hold up too well to water. Ideally I don't really want to go out if I think the weather will shift and the temperature doesn't seem too bad. Really my first time hearing of amsteel I don't really know too much of the benefits or drawbacks of it yet definitely something I got to look into.
I was just looking at this guys channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_HXPfy7X0 he's got a video on whoopiestrings, really clever how he hooked one bag on the line for the outside of the hammock then another one for inside I never would of thought of that on my own.
>>
>>1030560
what do you have for a hammock out of curiosity?
>>
>>1030566
Nothing yet. Just got experience packing a tent and there is no way I'm carrying a bag that freaking big or heavy unless it's full of water.
>>
>>1030571
Ah well, a lot of them come with slings, carabiners, and tree straps to begin with. If you get a really cheap one you'll have to buy those items as add-ons but it's easy to find pretty reasonable ones that come with everything you need.
>>
>>1030575
I was thinking I'd look for a higher end one, not going to skimp on something that'll drop me on my ass when the last thing I wanna do is get up and put my boots on when I'm trying to sleep, then fix some stuff in bad light conditions. Figure rope and straps and stuff are somewhat expendable in that they probably won't last that long. Probably won't need as much as I was thinking.
>>
File: my_sleeping_rig.jpg (136KB, 561x1443px) Image search: [Google]
my_sleeping_rig.jpg
136KB, 561x1443px
>>1030582
I suggest DD Hammocks if you want higher end. I love the tits out of mine. And I couldn't disagree less - you don't skimp on your sleeping stuff. Even a miserable rainy hiking trip where you're battle the trots the whole time can be pretty ok as long as you're getting a warm, dry, comfy night's sleep.
>>
>>1030571
Hammocks weigh more than tents
>>
>>1030812
I was drunk as fuck when I made this thread now that I'm hung over and thinking a little better. In a way weight isn't really the problem it's more about packing, setting up a punch of poles and carrying them around is like a solid foot tall by half a foot wide bundle broken down. I've gotten my sleeping bag down to a smaller size than I can get a tent before. I was thinking the rope was going to be a bigger pain in the ass but more experienced people seem to have some pretty clever systems figured out with all that.

>>1030590
That looks extremely comfy.
>>
>>1030553
Whoopie slings are basically a rope with a permanent slip knot in them, used to attach your hammock to your tree straps.

They're almost always made out of 7/64" Amsteel, which has a breaking strength of 1600lbs and basically zero stretch. Amsteel is available in diameters ranging from 7/64ths to over 3", as it was invented as a marine rope (those barge ropes that're ~3" thick and tow hundreds of thousands of tons are amsteel). You should be able to find it at any place that sells boat shit, like marinas and Bass Pro. Or buy it off makeyourgear.com, 25 feet will do 2 whoopie slings with a bit left over and runs $5.

Low or no stretch is very important for hammock suspensions.

Parachute cord (440/550) is shit at it, it stretches. Yes it's strong enough. It's also about the same price as amsteel (for quality shit and not the hobby/craft crap).

Amsteel is very versatile, you can use it for every part of your hammock suspension other than the tree straps themselves. Whoopie slings, structural or non-structural ridgelines, hell you COULD use it as guy lines (although it's overkill for that).
>>
>>1030812
Not when comparing even relatively similar price brackets, no. $100 will get you a hammock setup with bugnet and rain fly that weighs around 2lbs, a 2lb 1-person tent starts at $350.
>>
>>1030875
I must of accidently a word last night, meant I wouldn't bother with the tarp part if I didn't need a windbreak or rain cover*
>>
>>1030876
$200 will get you two hammocks, neither of which will work so you will never use them whereas $50 will get you a nice REI tent some faggy envirotard bought and never used so he sells on Craigslist to buy fair trade coffee
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.