[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the ultimate /out/ activity and why is mountaineering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

What is the ultimate /out/ activity and why is mountaineering?
>>
File: yurt.jpg (73KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
yurt.jpg
73KB, 600x400px
Sorry OP but you don't get more /out/ than living in a yurt off-grid in Mongolia.
>>
>>1030245
>more out
>living in
>>
File: DSC_5880.jpg (447KB, 1920x1282px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5880.jpg
447KB, 1920x1282px
>>1030241
I agree with you op. Combines camping, hiking, technical skill, and gearfaggotry in one perfect place. Love mountaineering, it pulls from all of my other outdoor activities.
>>
>>1030362
>freezes to death in shorts weather
>drowns in 4" of stagnant water
>carried off and eaten by an owl
>>
>>1030301
Not to mention enormous amounts of physical ability. My mountaineering friends and I train as much as college athletes.
>>
>>1030544
Yup. The high resistance cardio I've been doing 5x a week for the last 8 months really has paid off on my last few trips.
>>
>>1030427
>Freezes weather to death
>Drowns 4" of water inside of it
>Carries off and eats owls
Tactical chihuahuas are scary, man.
>>
>>1030241
I think mountaineering is to /out/ what F1 is to racing.

Sure you don't need millions to go mountaineering like you would to start a racing team, but it's only accessible to very few people because of the gear and travel required.

To be honest, I think I'd rather race rallye than F1, were I a racer. Similarly, I'd rather spend my time /out/ skiing and hiking than travelling all the time to bag mountains.
>>
>>1031369
Maybe I'm biased because I was born and live within an hour of the North cascades, but the gear is a one time purchase but the travelling is the only real continuous cost.
>>
>>1031369
>it's only accessible to very few people because of the gear and travel required.
depends. I live in the PNW; Rainier is 2 hours away. Baker is 3. Hood was 4. Plenty of great smaller name mountains within a 2-3 hour drive. If you live in the PNW there's a challenging peak within 3 hours. If you want to go /out/ more and travel, yeah you have to pay for it, but you're also traveling presumably far, which is worth it in its own merit just for the experience.
>>
>>1030241
Tfw Floridian
Feels so fucking bad
>>
>>1031388
Disappointment cleaver route is barely technical, prominence has no bearing on difficulty, you're retarded and don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1031369
I'm both a poorfag and a flatlander, and I still go mountaineering at least once a year. If I can pull it off, almost everyone can.
>>
>>1031212
>high resistance cardio I've been doing 5x a week
Post your routine here plox >>1023876
>>
Yet another instance of dejamoot. I stay away from the boards for a while and come back and there is a thread of what has been on my mind. I've been venturing in Alaska for a while and seeing all the mountains has me inspired to climb. What type of stuff do I need? Where can I practice? I am leaving this state soon so it isn't where I will likely be practicing.
>>
>>1031637
Geographical prominence is moot if you start at pradise, at 5,400 ft. Mt fuji is one of the most prominent peaks in the world, and also a walkup.

>but you need a team
You don't have a team of 2-3 friends with glacier travel / crevasse rescue experience? Feel bad for you tbqh. Try reaching out to your local outdoor community and see if anyone is interested in letting you tag along.
>>
>>1031388
You don't need 10+ years of ice climbing and you can solo it with a permit.
>>
>>1031388
>>1031637
>prominencefag
i think i've argued with you about this before. you're still wrong, and your ignorance about the importance of prominence tells us everything we need to know about your actual knowledge on the topic of mountaineering

>>1031555
>>1031701
don't bother. he's just arguing for the sake of arguing (unless that's also something you're interested in, in which case carry on).
>>
File: Granite-Peak-042-2.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Granite-Peak-042-2.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
Probably a long shot, but anyone ever done Granite Peak? I've lived in Montana most of my life but have never attempted. Apparently it's one of the more difficult state high points to summit.
>>
File: orchard.jpg (57KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
orchard.jpg
57KB, 960x720px
>>1031388
The fuck?

Not a mountaineer yet but my local club has an open Rainier trip that is accessible to people just graduating their mountaineering school looking to challenging themselves. And they are extremely safety-minded. The Cleaver from what I've heard is mostly just a long slog as long as you avoid the ocassional crevasse.

Anyway, I agree, mountaineering is like the apex of land-based /out/. I would put circumnavigating in a sailboat right along with it but that's on the water, just takes equivalent amounts of preparation I'd say.

My goal is to at least do our big peaks here in the Northwest. Adams, Hood, Rainier. After that we will see where I go with it. I just learned to rock climb so I can get used to ropes and some of the technical stuff. If I do enough of it I'll take trad climbing and ice climbing this year, and then mountain school starts in the Spring which I will take for sure.

I love MTB and backpacking and other /out/ stuff, but everyone needs to pose themselves with a challenge in their life and this is mine. I guess it's kind of the final push for me, mentally, out of the diseased state I was in as a teenager til about 21. Out of shape, quiet, wimpy, bullied in school. I'll always be an introvert, but I'm none of those other things anymore.

It's hard. It takes skill and experience. It's something so few people do. And those summit views take my breath away. I have to do it. I have to. As challenging as climbing is, and as nervous as I was about my first rappel, as intimidating as it is to set up rope systems at the edge, these things all get better the more I do them, and at the risk of sounding cliche and cheesy, the siren call of those ice fields and summits is too much to let these insignificant obstacles stop me.

Random picture of my orchard 'cuz it's all I have on my work computer.
>>
I gotta emphasize how much more fun mountaineering when you train. So many go into it learning how to use an ice axe and how to tie a few knots, and end up miserable carrying a 60 lb pack up steep climbers trails. When you've done enough stair master and core work it all feels easy. You go faster and bag peaks in a day that take others two days
>>
>>1031893
That looks amazing.

I have a peak I want to try this year in the Sawtooths, El Capitan. Some class 3 on it I guess. It's a one day hike in on a trail that takes you by a few lakes and is like a 2 day backpack total. So I'm guessing El Cap would make it 3 but we will see.
>>
>>1031924
Just did Hood a few weeks ago, had a blast. Trying to do Adams once the fucking road opens up a bit. Have fun man.
>>
I live in Bama but want to get into mountaineering. Currently planning to go do some 14ers next year in Colorado. Also gonna take the RMI mountaineering class and hopefully do Rainier in a few years. Any tips on how to train where there are no mountains?
>>
>>1031991
cardio and leg endurance (esp quads). put on a heavy ass pack and hike up the steepest longest hill you have access to.
>>
>>1031995
I currently do a lot of strength training and try to do weekly hikes. I'll see if I can head up to GSMNP and do some of the mtns in Appalachian range maybe. Thanks
>>
>>1031996
The Summit Post entry on Granite says there's class 3 and 4, but I'm not a climber so I don't really know what that entails
>>
>>1030241
t. guy who has never been mountaineering
>>
>>1032042
not an argument.
>>
>>1031940
Thanks! Of Adam's and Hood, which is the better 'first' climb?
>>
>>1032032
class 3 will still be challenging and thoughtful, but you'll probably be able to do it.

class 4 means you will probably be very uncomfortable with the difficulty and exposure.
>>
File: DSC_5795.jpg (1005KB, 2560x1709px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5795.jpg
1005KB, 2560x1709px
>>1032070
Adams. Non-technical all the way to the top. Hood doesn't have much technical demand, but the pearly gates does require you know what the fuck you're doing with crampons and an ice axe, and being able to self arrest is absolutely essential. tl;dr just below the summit of hood is a 45 degree chute that is full of retards roped up. One slips and their entire rope team falls. Beneath you is a big bergschrund that you can fall in.

Both are long days, though. If you don't have em, get some mountaineering boots used on geartrade.com and get some crampons to go with em. I got some lasportiva nepals for $280 on geartrade and they're in great condition.
>>
>>1030241
Your post actually sums up mountaineering perfectly, the /out/ hobby for people that want to spend the most money to prove that they're better than everybody else.
>>
>>1032063
>t. steban molymeme
pretty sad to see someone claiming something is the ultimate anything without ever even have trying it. get off 4chan and actually work to accomplish your goals instead of just stroking your dick to other people doing it
fucking sad desu m8
>>
>>1030544
What is your routine?

>t. out of shape aspiring mountaineer
>>
File: The martian.jpg (2MB, 4849x2425px) Image search: [Google]
The martian.jpg
2MB, 4849x2425px
>>1030245
Looks like the Mongolians are herding their flocks on Mars
>>
>>1031940
The road is supposedly melted out to within 1/4 mile of the TH.

That's my backup plan this next weekend if the current shitty weather on Rainier holds up.
>>
Spearfishing
>>
File: Cod.jpg (67KB, 720x609px) Image search: [Google]
Cod.jpg
67KB, 720x609px
>>1032723
>live near the sea
>don't have a buddy to learn from and go spearfish with
>>
>>1032728
Dive underwater
Shoot spear at fish
Profit
>>
File: IMG_3090.jpg (1MB, 3000x3747px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3090.jpg
1MB, 3000x3747px
>>1032331
This book. Read it cover to cover. Start running, eventually trail running if you don't already. Get a heart rate app or strap sensor. Start praying to Allah.
>>
>>1032305
Still not an argument.
>>
Seems cool but how do you learn these skills without going bankrupt?

Also when is it safe experience-wise to try and go for more mountainy hikes/winter hikes? It seems beautiful and awesome but it can go so wrong so fast in cold weather id want to be really confident with it....how do you inch your way into this safely?
>>
Free diving and caving can probably be more hardcore. And squirrel suits.
>>
>>1032797
But anons were saying in another thread that it has a lot more to learn than just that.
>>
>>1034245
Find a friend / groups of friends more experienced and tag along.
>>
Im gonna be scaling Kebnekaise (swedens tallest mountain) late august/early september with a buddy of mine. It'll be the first mountain that I scale. Its not that technical, its mostly just trecking, but supposedly it takes around 10-14 hours to get up and then down again.

Any scandibros here with experience of scaling Kebnekaise? What should I expect?
>>
File: Kebnekaise.jpg (47KB, 637x288px) Image search: [Google]
Kebnekaise.jpg
47KB, 637x288px
>>1035876
forgot to post the picture, I'll be going the green route
>>
I hope climbing the Month Blanc.. because that's what I'm doing it for.
>>
>>1030241
How do i cut down trees and make a fire above the tree line?
>>
>>1032718
Just came back from doing Adams.

The snow is melted to within 100 yards of the TH. Even so some lazy tards got their Subaru stuck today trying to get even closer.
>>
Is peak bagging 14ers mountaineering? Excluding Rainier for obvious reasons
>>
>>1039250
Sometimes. If it's just a trail you can walk, no. If it's a climbing route with steep snow and a gear climb, for sure.
>>
if god put a mountain there, he probably didn't want you to go that way.
>>
>>1030245
Thats a morrowind screenshot
>>
>>1039302
All the more reason to climb it.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.