[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing General: Things I'll Never Do Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

>http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan/
>>
Honnold is a fucking machine. Not the best climber overall, but no one matches him in free-soloing. I've been climbing for two years and never get sweaty palms when I go, but every time I see a pic of Alex free soling I go clammy as fuck.
>>
>>1030188
Somebody finally did it. Wow.
>>
>even using mechanical winches to hoist themselves up, the two had struggled to keep up with him.

Honnold is a freak. I am a half decent free climber, though I mostly hangdog. Anyway I was climbing Mt Baldy at the same time as Honnold and it is amazing how effortlessly he goes up.
>>
>>1030250
You can go up something as fast as him if you continually practice that same thing for reps. Last week I flew up a route I've done countless times. Probably took me two minutes (just a simple sport route). I could solo it if I weren't a huge pussy.

Honnold is just at an incredible level.
>>
>>1030188
>Told Alex honnold to climb a vertical rock at Yosemite, the madman actually did it
>>
it's sad that he's literally going to kill himself doing this one day
>>
>>1030417
Cool to watch while it lasts though. Everyone has to go out somehow, and he's gonna go big or go home.
>>
>>1030417
I wonder if he'll ever be able to stop or if it's just too addicting and will end badly if he gets too old or just fucks up.
>>
>>1030188
These guys always end up dead.
>>
>>1030606
It's addicting. I don't do anything like what he does, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna blow out the ligaments in my hands or wreck my knees in a fall someday.

t. climber
>>
File: 1435945967217.gif (2MB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
1435945967217.gif
2MB, 320x384px
>>1030629
Protip: everyone always end up dead.
>>
>>1030718
not before they're 40 though
>>
>>1030743
Bachar was the free soloist for a long ass time. He died in his fifties.

Peter Croft, 59, is still going strong.

The other big soloist, Dean Potter, didnt even die free soloing.
>>
>>1030188
holy fuck. honnold is a champion.
>>
>he actually did it
absolute madman.
>>
Is solo bouldering outdoors a thing? Just bought a full top rope/sport set of gear after two years of using other people's stuff for work, but I bought my own crash pad as well and wonder if I'm gonna look autistic doing that by myself.
>>
>>1031096
totally a thing. the only time i boulder is when i'm solo. if i'm with another person that means i have someone to belay me, so why would i pebble wrestle?
>>
>>1030188
Mad respect to Mr. Honnold.

Part of me thinks however that unfortunately he is a living example of a survival bias outlier. Something beyond his control could go wrong despite absolutely perfect technical skill and improvisation capability. And then it is all over. I can't even begin to think how his parents might feel while he climbs, I would be shitting water at a psych ward.
>>
>>1031096
>I'm gonna look autistic
>not being an actual autist
weew, it's current year, mate.
>>
>>1031096
i'm not sure why you care, but it doesn't come down to looks, just safety. i'm not sure why one would care about the looks of it?
boulder problems with a flat landing area that go straight up are just fine to do by yourself without a spotter and 1 pad.
but what about something that traverses, or is overhanging, or is especially high?
without somebody to move the pad for you as you go, and to direct you on to the pad as you fall, or without a large number of pads, especially if the landing is uneven/rocky... you're far more likely to injure yourself bouldering than roped climbing. ankles man. ankles.
>>
>>1031423
>I can't even begin to think how his parents might feel while he climbs

there's a fascinating interview with his mother out there somewhere

basically she couldn't be happier that her son is following his dreams and she fully supports him
that being said, at least at the time of the interview, if doing a major solo he would only tell her after the fact, something which they both agreed was best ;)
>>
>>1031696
you can be happy for your kid and also terrified and worried at the same time.

source: i have a 2 year old and my entire life is pretty much equal parts joy and worry.
>>
File: tenaya.jpg (302KB, 692x922px) Image search: [Google]
tenaya.jpg
302KB, 692x922px
sierra passes will be opening soon bump
>>
>>1030188
We should breed him with female climbers and gymnasts to create superhumans.
>>
>>1034361
I hear he breeds with quite a few females.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.