[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tarpaulin thread? Thinking about going tyvek. What is the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 17

File: DD_SL_Tarp_gallery_03.jpg (255KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
DD_SL_Tarp_gallery_03.jpg
255KB, 750x500px
Tarpaulin thread?
Thinking about going tyvek.
What is the best tarp material ?
Best tarp deployment?
>>
>>1029703
>Best tarp material
That would be cuben fiber.
>lightest
>smallest pack size
>more tear resistant than tyvek
>relatively cheap
>easily sewn, taped, glue-patched, etc
>>
>>1029746
>>relatively cheap
Is the cost of complete items so high due to the manufacturing?
>>1029703
The best set up is situation dependent. A set up for shade in a hot place of going to be way different to how you set up in a location where high wind and rain are likely.
>>
>>1029958
>high wind
Can you even use a tarp in high wind?
>>
>>1029746
>>relatively cheap

umm wat? compared to what, a tarp made of solid gold? CF is the MOST expensive tarp material.

>>1030131
of course you can
>>
So a walmart tarp that is 6x8 costs less than 3 bucks
How much do these other tarps cost?
>>
>>1029746
are you on fucking drugs, shitlord? CF is insanely over-priced.

OP, personally I don't go for tyvek because it's the least stealth material out there. It's loud, it's bright.

I tend to carry a green ripstop nylon tarp. It's not even remotely heavy by any rational standard, it blends in well, and it's durable.
>>
>>1030244
Significantly more, but they last a lot longer
>>
>>1030244
A similar sized Cuben Fibre tarp will cost about $200.

A similar sized silnylon will cost about $90.
>>
>>1030355
What can I get for under 50 bucks?
>>
I am trying to figure out a good tarp system for my van.
This one is too much stuff to haul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SHypko-1A

any ideas on a more minimal setup?
>>
>>1029958
>is the cost of complete items so high due to the manufacturing?
I would assume so, since it's less than $2 per linear foot and even a 10' square tarp will only use 20 linear feet.
>>
>>1030266
So fucking make your own, if you care about both quality and cost. You can make basically any size or shape of tarp or rain fly out of cuben fiber for under $50, it's $1.70 per linear foot.
>>
>>1030398
How hard is that to do ?
I am up for it if I can do it with no special tools.
>>
>>1030244
The cheapest premade cuben fiber tarp I've seen was around $110. However you could make a 6x8' one for about $40

Premade sil nylon tarps start at about $60 and can be DIY'd for under $20.

Premade "parachute" nylon tarps start at about $45 and can be DIY'd for under $10, pretty much every sewing/craft/hobby store carries the material for under $1 per linear yard.
>>
>>1030399
If you own or can borrow a basic sewing machine and can sew a single straight line, you can do it. It's literally retard easy.
>buy cuben fiber cloth
>buy cuben fiber seam tape ($0.28/yd)
>lay two sheets of cuben fiber cloth on top of each other and line the edge up
>use a glue stick to stick the edges of the cuben fiber to each other
>feed it through a sewing machine in as close to straight a line as you can, about 1/2" from the edge
>fold the edge back on itself
>sew another straight line down it
>open them up like a book
>apply tape straight down the seam that forms so you don't have water leaking through the needle holes
>>
>>1030406
Interesting, how about grommets? Will they weaken the tarp if they are added after ?
>>
>>1030416
Yes. Generally you sew on guy-out loops instead of punching a grommet through, they're stronger and work much better with woven fabrics. They're also lighter and can't rust.

Alternatively ball a small rock up in each corner and use that as a tie-out.
>>
What is the advantage of tyvek?
>>
>>1030833
It's cheap, 100% waterproof (doesn't just rely on surface tension like woven fabrics), and sort of light (compared to woven poly tarps as found at walmart). It's also available at every single hardware and home improvement store in the Western world.

The downsides are it tears, stretches, and punctures easily and doesn't have a lot of tensile strength, so you need to use bunched corners for tie-outs and it sucks for use in even moderate wind. It's also shiny and loud so the "stealth" campers hate it.
>>
How about oil canvas?
>>
>>1031033
Pros
Water proof
Tough as nails
Easy to diy
Paintable
Low visability depending on color

Cons
Heavy as hell
Bulky
Weighs a metric fuckton
Made of neutron stars
>>
>>1031062
Samefag here pro tip to make the weight and bulk less of a factor i sewed lether straps and buckels to my oilcloth tarp so it could be folded up and used as a duluth pack i did a lot of living history though
>>
>>1031062
>Made of neutron stars
Since I will be using it mostly as an awning for my van, this might work out ok.
Thanks for the info!
>>
>>1030388
Not a lot unless you want to make your own.

Also depends on what size you want. If you are going cheap, there are dozens of cheap tarps on Amazon, hex, diamond, square shaped... all kinds for under $50.
>>
>>1030406
Where are you finding it at that price?
>>
>>1031706
Makeyourgear.com for both the fabric and the seam tape.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion you failed at third-grade reading and are thinking the cuben fiber itself is 28 cents a yard. That's the seam tape.
>>
File: high_ground_hooded_sweatshirt.jpg (49KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
high_ground_hooded_sweatshirt.jpg
49KB, 460x460px
>>1030395
>>1030398
>>1030401
>>1030406
>>1031706
>>1031843

Where are you guys finding cuben this cheap?

makeyourowngear.com sells it 1.5ft by 4.5ft for $16, which means you'd need 8 to make a tarp that's 6 x 9 ft (two pieces 6 x 4.5, one seam) which means you'd be spending $128 for just the cuben material alone.

diygearsupply.com is my usual go to because they carry some factory left overs/seconds (shit is cheap there) but they don't have cuben in stock.

Please someone tell me there's cheaper cuben out there.
>>
>>1029958
The high cost of cuben fiber products is made up of a few things.

1)high minimum orders for cuben fiber from the companies who sell it and it is expensive compared to sil nylon and tyvek.
2)Manufacturing requires precise taping of all joints for stress since cuben cannot be sewn effectively
3)Relative rarity and being super new to the industry. Coleman likely has a warehouse full of old nylon tents so big they could give them away for free for a decade but mountain hardware and zpacks are just some people with really oversized garages

Slightly off my point but for >>1029703
The company that made cuben fiber just recently made a version that allows one way transpiration of water vapor so you can make a bomber ass 4 season tent and not drown in your stayfresh pouch
>>
>>1030388
under?
a 3'x5' sheet of any cuben fiber you want, maybe even the tape, grommets and shit to make it into a proper tarp.
cuben is about $25~$30 per yard in a 5' wide roll, little more for the thicker stuff but also a little less for the most popular thickness's
>>
>>1032365
say it ain't so!
>>
>>1032366
I must sadly say it is. However don't fret, a cuben fiber tarp is really just there for the same people who want to pay the extra $$$ to have a titanium spork with weight reducing holes pre drilled in it. If you get the $3 walmart blue tarp it will fall apart in the wind and crack in the sun but not at 30x the speed of the cuben tarp. by the time you spent $100 (the cheapest 6'x8' cuben tarp i could find) on blue tarps you will be so good at tarping that you could stretch newspapers and your old ladies meatflaps into a respectable shelter.

On the other hand though the lighter weight cuben fiber is semi transparent and the idea of being snug and safe from wetness and bugs but still being able to view the outdoors is pretty sexy.
>>
File: disgusted.jpg (101KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted.jpg
101KB, 1024x904px
>>1032369
>old ladies meatflaps into a respectable shelter
lol

you're right tho anon- at that price, cuben really is for those with more money and autism than sense. If anything, it makes sense to wait a few more years and it'll be a more reasonable price soon enough. I remember when it was fresh on the market and a shitty little .5L ditty bag was like $150

I like that it's semi-transparent- you can rub one out in privacy but still have enough light to maybe see a nipple in that JCPenny bra section.
>>
having some trouble with tarp ropes

I'm in the middle of SEA and can't find any bloody rope that isn't the kind of hard plastic you can't tension

also having trouble integrating a fly net, hammock and tarp, I've got rope everywhere

>>1030419
this, fuck grommets
>>
>>1032376
I'd suggest dropping some industrial hemp seeds to get all the high quality rope you could want but in SEA having a field of "not pot" might get you thrown from a helicopter...
>>
>>1032369
>>1032373
The draw of cuben fiber isn't its durability, its the weight and bulk.

A 6x8 cuben tarp will pack at about 2/3 the size of a sil nylon tarp, and weigh a little under half as much. Being no-bullshit submersible-waterproof instead of relying on surface tension is a very minor bonus (and the tradeoff is it doesn't breathe).

While it is unequivocally "the best" tarp material, it's also priced as such. Assuming you can afford the extra 4-6oz in weight, a 1.0-1.5oz/sqyd silnylon tarp will be much more durable and mildly more comfy due to breathing. And a good bit cheaper to boot, at around $6-8 per linear yard depending on brand and thickness.
>>
>>1031843
>Although I have a sneaking suspicion you failed at third-grade reading and are thinking the cuben fiber itself is 28 cents a yard. That's the seam tape.

And I have a sneaking suspicion you're an elitist asshole who thinks themselves better than the masses.

>>1032020
this guy gets it and confirms what I already suspected, you were under estimating CF prices for the sake of your rhetoric.
>>
>>1032405
I'm aware of this, but thanks for the run down anyhow. For tarps it makes sense, but I remember seeing rain shells and was like
>whut
But yeah, I really wanted it for the packability (I remember my friend's tarp was ludicrously small in his hand) not necessarily the weight. But $30+ bucks per yard is a bit much.

It was originally used in competitive sailing, and has other uses these days so I don't think the tiny cottage industry that is ultra-ultralight is really affecting the market price much.
>>
>>1032405
I'm only going to disagree a little bit here, yes the weight and bulk are the primary draws for outdoors enthusiasts but the durability is most definitely not to be ignored. Most catastrophic damage to gear is from punctures or tears rather than shearing and folding which are long term wear concerns. Cuben fiber is far stronger than anything you can carry into the woods to these occurences, if your cuben fiber tent were the same weight as your nylon one you could fill it like a swimming pool and push it down a hill at passersby.
tldr; sure its really, really, like stupid light, but so is toilet paper and cuben is stronk too!
>>
>>1032509
Cuben is less tear and puncture resistant than grid-ripstop nylon. But it weighs a fraction as much. It's very strong for its weight, that doesn't make it very strong over all. Especially when compared to the typical woven-tarp-bottomed, 3oz/sqyd car-camper tents.
>>
>>1032515
www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA513823

That is a link to an ultralight UAV document detailing the design of future UAV's, in it they go over the current ripstop nylon skins versus cuben fiber skins.
The findings show that cuben fiber is identical to kevlar (their chosen nylon composite) in every way for strength except it has poor elasticity compared to nylon (resistance to stretching and shearing).

Also being strong for its weight is explicitly what makes something strong when we are talking materials.
>>
>>1032525
You're kinda missing the point.

The point is, the 0.51oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber is an ultralight fabric that's "strong enough" for routine uses, but is still kinda fragile. It is less everything-resistant than several other fabrics that while they are heavier, are still "light enough" for the intended usage.

If you're hard on your gear either due to environment or lack of giving a shit, you're gonna tear up anything made out of cuben fiber. Compared to other fabrics used to make the same or similar products (tarps, tents, backpacks, stuff sacks) it's fragile.
>>
>>1032525
duuuude if the military starts contracting cuben fiber, that shit is going to become dirt cheap!

I started researching why the shit was so expensive and it's mostly demand. It also has to do with the fact that it was developed and patented in 1992, so it has only become available to manufacture by other entities recently.
>>
>>1029703
Tarps should cost you at least 500$ or they are an oversized klenex tissue + you'll die from hypothermia. We had this before already
>>
File: IMG_0354.jpg (40KB, 720x729px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0354.jpg
40KB, 720x729px
Got your standard issue light blue tarp at Home Depot. 8'x10'. Have a tent too, but will use this as rain cover when cooking or windbreak, and might tarp-only if it works well and I git gud. Is this an adequate choice and is there anything else I should know?
>>
>>1030244
keep in mind that the walmart tarp is far heavier and packs down to a much larger size
>>
>>1033649
But it is more robust
>>
>>1033655
You don't need something that robust. The only thing that will destroy a silnylon/cuben fiber tarp is a gold ball sized hail storm. Carrying a 3lbs tarp just to be safe for that one freak occurence when you could be carrying a 10oz tarp for any other scenario makes no sense.
>>
>>1036081
Not even. If you pitched your tarp well and/or recognized the weather was going to be rough and pitched it in a more protective area (like a nice thicket or something) most variations of sil nylon would be fine in big ass hail.

>>1033592
I used one of these for a long time until it was filled with holes. I pitched it over too many fires and then dgaf when the fire got too big. It was all fun and games until one very wet night. If you don't care about the weight and size, this is the perfect tarp for you.
>>
File: grandma gatewood.jpg (35KB, 414x425px) Image search: [Google]
grandma gatewood.jpg
35KB, 414x425px
Does anyone have recommendations on how to best make a tarp out of Tyvek? I scored a roll and wanna make one to test out on an overnighter Imma do soon.
>>
>>1036181
Tyvek stretches pretty easily and will tear if you try to put grommets in the corners.

I would recommend reinforcing the ridgeline with something (I've used duct tape) and do gathered corners for tie-outs. Kinda SOL on mid-side tie-outs that way though.
>>
>>1036187
Huh. Thanks for the fair warning. Do you have any sites/youtubes or whatever that you used?

It's some off brand- that doesn't matter does it? ("Everlast", I think?)

I've heard of guys making packs out of it as well. Any words of wisdom on that?

I'm interested because, well I scored a roll of tyvek, but also because I was hiking the long trail a few years back and there were some AT hikers called the "Tyvek Twins" apparently to save money, they made a bulk of their gear out of tyvek. I never met them (I was hiking to catch them, and I think I missed them in a town or something) but the idea was interesting enough for me to want to dabble in it.
>>
>>1036197
I just muddled my way through it until I figured out something that worked. I can get it super cheap at any of the home improvement stores since it's used as a moisture barrier under roofing and siding.

They make tapes specifically for tyvek and similar HDPE sheets, would probably stick and last better than duct tape. It's kinda expensive though at between $10 and $20 a roll.

Home Depot sells an off-brand under the name Typar. 9x100ft rolls are $100 and would make 10 fairly good sized tarps. Otherwise DuPont Tyvek is $110 for the same amount. I like the typar since it's not so blatantly branded. Or if you wanna go full homo, Owens Corning produces it in pink to match their insulation.

I've only used it for tarps and ground cloths. It stretches a little and you can't sew it so I'd hate trying to make a pack out of it (you'd have to glue and tape the seams), and it's not so much appreciably cheaper than a light-denier nylon or polyester ripstop that there'd be more than a couple dollar difference in materials cost. Though I suppose it would be a no-sew option if you don't have access to or can't use a sewing machine.
>>
>>1036235
huh. This gives me a lot to consider. Thanks for the info mate.
>>
>>1036314
GL to you.

Also if you or anyone else is wondering, Dupont brand Tyvek is 1.9oz per square yard or linear foot (9'x1'). Light, but still heavier than the thinner sil nylon or sil poly (which get as light as 0.93oz/sqyd).

To compare costs:
>buying it by the 100' roll, off-brand tyvek is around $1.00 per square yard
>buying it by the linear foot, Dupont-brand tyvek is around $2.25 per square yard
>MYG's 0.9 Xenon sil is $6.50 per linear yard but is only 58" wide, which works out to 1.61 square yards, so $4.04 per square yard.
>MYG's 1.1 Xenon sil is $6.00 per linear yard and is only 58" wide, which works out to $3.73 per square yard
>MYG's standard sil nylon (1.36oz) is $5.00 per linear yard and is 58" wide, which works out to $3.11 per square yard
>0.51oz cuben fiber is ~$16 per linear half yard and is 54" wide, which works out to $21.33 per square yard
>>
>>1036339
And another look at costs before anyone goes "hurr tyvek's 3x cheaper than the next cheapest option!"
>this is technically true, but.

Figure your standard 1 man shelter tarp is 8'x5'. That's 4.44 square yards. Assuming zero waste, that works out to $4.44 for a Tyvek tarp, or $17.96 for a 0.9 xenon tarp. Most people would consider that a fairly minor difference, although the 4.3oz difference in weight is also "fairly minor". Both gaps will shrink with the other fabrics as well.
>>
>>1036344
For me the appeal is Tyvek can be gotten free as scrap/left overs from construction sites. There's a bunch of development in my area, so it's nice. I don't know if I would buy it just to have a ground cloth tho.
>>
>>1036369
It's actually a pretty decent option as a ground cloth. Thicker and somewhat more durable than the ultrathin coated fabrics, cheap, readily available, and should be seamless for most applications since its default width is 9'.

The only two real downsides to it are that it is vapor permeable (breathable) so if you pitch on lush grass or something you'll get dampness through as the plants perspire, and that it's difficult bordering on impossible to sew (though it is easily glued with readily available and cheap adhesives and the bond from these glues is stronger than the tyvek itself down to around 0*F).
>>
>>1031524
If I made my own what size would I want? My sleeping setup would be just a tarp and sleeping bag. I was thinking 10*10 just to have enough
>>
File: tarp.jpg (76KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
tarp.jpg
76KB, 1136x852px
>>1037228
I've started working on my own silnylon tarp using ray Jardine's kit. It's $75 and it includes all the materials + instructions. Not really worth it for the savings but it's a fun project and not too hard.
>>
>>1037228
For a ground pitched shelter tarp a 6x8' is plenty. Hammocks require a bigger tarp, usually 10x10 or 11x10.
>>
>>1037230
Are you a girl?
>>
>>1037562
Are you a faggot spending too much on a tarp? There is nothing wrong with sewing.
>>
>>1037895
Caling me a faggot inna goddamn tarp thread
>>
>>1037562
No. Making your own gear feels pretty great senpai, you should try it. Very rewarding.
>>
File: 1497071061329.png (1MB, 933x729px) Image search: [Google]
1497071061329.png
1MB, 933x729px
>>1037921
>Tarp Thread
>Trap Thread
close enough, YOU ALL ARE GAY.
>>
>>1038007
Uhg, why are doctors so gay?
>>
who makes the best heavy canvas tarp?
>>
>>1039275
define heavy canvas
>>
>>1039511
I...i cant
:(
>>
>>1029703
Got a question for you tarp folks. How do you keep the bugs out? Especially in the setup in op's pic. You can call me weak, but I don't want creepy crawlies over me when I'm asleep. Just get a mummy sleeping bag?
>>
>>1039527
an hammock
>>
>>1030398
Cuben fiber is around 35 dollarinos per yard if you knew shit about DIY you'd know that no one sells shit by "linear foot" whatever the f that even means. Which means a 6 foot tarp is going to cost you $105 dollars, most likely twice that depending on how wide the fabric is off the roll and how wide you want your tarp to be. That's already a 210 dollar tarp without buying any fancy d-rings, grommets, hooks, or doodads you want on it.
>>
>>1039527
Dunno. When I'm in my home country where I'm familiar with the wild life I just let them crawl but if in foreign parts and the bugs are all foreign I just use a bug net. Not hard.
>>
What is the best way to set up a tarp for ground sleeping?
>>
>>1032565
The point was that cuben fiber is a more durable material at a lower weight than nylon, it is also more expensive and for my money not better enough for the cost yet.
I get that you find the current cuben products to be understrength when compared to nylon equivalents but that has little to do with the resilience of the material and more to do with the price point being kept low enough for people to buy cuben gear. Cuben is very expensive and the lighter weights of it are cheaper than the heavier ones by a notable amount so when purchasing and selling large quantities of cuben you have to go with lighter weight material to keep a backpack from costing $400 instead of $300.
I do agree that current cuben fiber products are far too focused on being as light as possible and are $$$expensive$$$, but don't kid yourself that a 2.5oz cuben product wouldn't shit all over a 2.5oz silicone ripstop nylon one. It would cost you a few months salary but you could noodle badgers in a volcano.
>>
>>1039603
You're a special kind of fucking retarded aren't you?

Several places sell cuben fiber by the "linear half-yard" which is a 1.5 foot strip off their 58" wide roll. That's what linear [dimension] means, it's [dimension] by however wide the roll is.

Two of the most popular DIY-gear sites sell it for $16 per linear half yard. A roll is 58" wide. A backpacking tarp is, coincidentally, about 60" wide, which means you don't need to sew two pieces together (just bind the edges), just buy an ~8 foot long strip of it, which will cost [8/1.5=5.33, 5.33*$16] $85.33. Add in about $1 worth of grosgrain for tie-outs and less than 50 cents' worth of high-end thread and you've got a usable tarp.
>>
File: 411VdXfWF7L._SY300_.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
411VdXfWF7L._SY300_.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
do you guys use these things?
>>
>>1039847
If they're on whatever it is I buy I may- depending on how useful they are.

The right knot will also do the same thing, so it's up to you.
>>
>>1030131

As long as you're not retarded and know how to set it up correctly
>>
>>1032376

Buy rope from Australia then, postage shouldn't be too much
>>
I need you to tell me if this idea is stupid

>get one of those ponchos that doubles as a tarp
>use it as both shelter and rain gear
>carry way less weight
>????????
>profit
>>
>>1039885

I've heard of doing this as a weight saver but it's really only useful in an emergency. When you're camping normally:

1 it's raining
2 you get to camp sites
3 take off poncho to set up as shelter and get soaking wet in the process
4 huddle under poncho shelter shivering and wet while sitting on wet ground with no groundsheet

Unless you carry two but by that point you may as well just bring a larger tarp
>>
>>1039885

Also it won't be "way less weight", it's a few grams at most. If your pack is too heavy then I guarantee there's other shit you need to cut out first.
>>
>>1039847
no because I'm capable of tying knots?

just one more thing to carry that can be broken or lost. take the time to learn the knots, the skill you carry with you everywhere...
>>
>>1040087
I"ll tie yer fookin mum
>>
Seems like dark canvas would just absorb heat and make your space even hotter
>>
>>1039885
I do this for hikes where I don't anticipate much rain, and when it will be relatively warm out so it's not as much a safety concern.

It does suck if you need to take a shit and it's raining.
>>
>>1029703
My scout troop had a bunch of dads who worked as engineers at WL Gore and Associates, they waste a bunch of raw goretex sheeting on the production line at the plants, and raw goretex is light and completely impermeable. It makes the best tarps, raincoats, tablecloths, whatever the fuck else that I have ever seen.
>>
Tentfag here, I am interested in getting a tarp and bivy for short 1 or 2 day trips but I need to know, how do you keep your equipment dry?
I live in the UK, it's always a good chance that it will rain, and a bivy can only fit one, so how do you keep your equipment from getting soaked from the wet ground, even if it doesn't get directly hit by the rain.

Also any opinopns on this: DD Tarp 3m x 3m?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XX98823/ref=sr_1_3?s=camping-hiking&ie=UTF8&qid=1497987414&sr=1-3&keywords=tarp
>>
>>1041638
Yea I've seen Gote and eVent tents

>>1042150
Dd 3x3 is good man. I've had mine 6 years and it's been abused over the years.. The seams have delaminated but it's easily got over 100 nights on it, and had been through some serious gales.

As for bivvys, I'd go for an alpkit xl if your using it in combination with a tarp, mild weather just use it as a ground sheet and jump in when it's bad.
>>
>>1042202
One time some kid forgot his rain shell jacket in a deluge and we made him a raincoat out of raw goretex and duct tape. We gave him a pointed hood so everyone would know he was being shamed, but Goddamn if he wasn't the driest out of all of us that night when we made camp.
>>
>>1042150
You just put your gear under the tarp, next to the bivy. If it's raining you pitch the tarp low and wide, no way any rain gets under it. You'll have a 2.5m by 2m dry area minimum.
>>
>>1041638
This got me hard.
>>
File: 1497201340065.jpg (49KB, 455x224px) Image search: [Google]
1497201340065.jpg
49KB, 455x224px
>>1042150
If you're gonna be in a bivy, I would have a smaller tarp- or just use a poncho. It's overkill, so it doesn't really matter. Just a little more tarp to fuss with and not as multifunctional.

I would try just the tarp and a groundsheet. I have a big groundsheet that has tie outs that I tie to the corners of the tarp to tension it, effectively making a bathtub bottom.

If you're looking at bivies, and especially if you're trying this out and don't wanna drop a ton of money without knowing if it's for you I'd look into the USGI modular sleep system bivy. Or you could try making your own out of tyvek,
>>
>>1042150
PNW anon here. I think we have similar weather. To prevent water soaking your gear from the ground up. I use a 2mil (not 2mm) painters drop cloth cut down to fit my sleeping mat. It has an extended tab that fits my pack. It's shaped like the letters 'P' 'p' 'b' & 'q' depending on what your favorite consonant is.

An the other anon mentioned. If it's raining pitch the tarp low and wide. You can cook under them safely while it's raining. Unlike a tent.
>>
>>1043443
>make your own out of tyvek

Awful awful idea
>>
>>1042202
>>1043443
>>1043324
>>1043446
Thanks, I think I will get a cheep bivy from amazon with that Dd tarp and make a waterproof groundsheet to protect my equipment, if I enjoy it then I will get a better bivy when the summer is out.
The reason I am not going with a hammock is because I can't trust every campsite in the UK to have a good set of trees, also a lot of our national parks like Dartmoor and Snowdonia are fairly treeless.
>>
>>1043556
PNW anon again. You can probably skip the bivy. I haven't found that I've needed or wished for one yet. I camp year round here fwiw.
>>1043446
forgot about 'd.' Can't forget 'd.'
>>
Just buy a thick, cheap 3x3m one for a few bucks from your local store like I did, and ignore all the fucking geardos.

>>1043861
>>
>>1043446
>It has an extended tab that fits my pack. I
what?
>>
>>1044219
>what?

Read more. You illiterate fuck. Its shaped like a 'P', p, b, d, or '' depending on your favorite consonant.

"Its" as in the ground sheet. It is shaped like a "P, p, b, d, or q"
>>
>>1044286
Your tarp is shaped like a P?
>>
>>1043556

Yeah I'd say that's the way to go. Bought an army bivvy and a dd tarp before I went to Dartmoor and was happy with the set up.
>>
>>1043868
I am paranoid about bugs and shit crawling all over me as I sleep
>>
>>1045722
i just sleep right through that stuff
no harn done
>>
>>1045722
get a bug bivvy then
>>
>>1045722
>>>1043868
>I am paranoid about bugs and shit crawling all over me as I sleep
And? What's wrong with that.
>>
What the hell is a bivvy
>>
>>1047005
A waterproof or DWR coated sleeping bag that has either or both a rain hood over your face or bug mesh over your face, ostensibly with the idea that you then don't need a tent/tarp.

They're also extremely uncomfortable to sleep in and unforgiving in setup, and relatively fragile.
>>
>tfw so poor that I consider getting cheap-ass construction tarp
Guess it would be okay for the first time.
>>
>>1047005

It's a waterproof shell that you put your ground mat and sleeping bag in, which allows you to go without a tent, tarp or groundsheet (although most people still use a tarp).

Don't listen to >>1047046 he's a complete faggot

They're only fragile if you're too cheap to buy a proper one made of gortex, and they're perfectly comfortable if you have the right setup.
>>
>>1047005
It's backpacker burrito you sleep inside with your sleeping bag and usually has an attacked bugnet/ headtarp thing to save 100 grams versus using a tarp and real bug net and actually being comfortable
>>
>>1029703
tyvek and cf is shit

anyway im a fag that uses those walmart nonrip tarps that are heavy as shit
because they never fucking rip
I had a tree fall on my tarp and it still didnt rip
took another tree with it, but not my tarp
>Alternatively ball a small rock up
Did this when I first started tarp camping
fucking sucks
massive pain in ass, just go through the effort to sew loops or add grommets
>>1030350
ive had the same walmart tarp for almost 10 years anon
though i wont lie I have to trim the edges down ever few months worth of camping, but since it's so oversized it isnt an issue.
>>1030131
if you couldnt then nobody would use tarps. Just get it really low. Put it simply, stake it all the way out and put your stick in the middle.
>>1047066
you mean those shitty clear things? they suck. even for overnights. get the walmart tarps with grommets for just a few bucks more.
>>
>>1047005
It's a sleeping bag condom. I've never understood the point carrying a shelter that you can't even roll over in.
>>
>>1047455
a lot of people sleep on stomach or back
>>
>>1047454
>you mean those shitty clear things?
No, I mean those blue/green things(Poland here) you use to cover materials and stuff. Those already have rings for rope
>>
>>1047454
>tyvek and cf is shit
Have you ever used either?
>>
File: 3_im.jpg (791KB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
3_im.jpg
791KB, 2736x1824px
>>1037230
I'm this anon. Finished my tarp last week. Posting some pics because I think it's pretty decent. I'll be using this in warm southern Europe weather.
>>
File: 5_im.jpg (833KB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
5_im.jpg
833KB, 5472x3648px
>>1047555
>>
File: 7_im.jpg (756KB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
7_im.jpg
756KB, 5472x3648px
>>1047557
>>
File: 8_im.jpg (792KB, 3283x2189px) Image search: [Google]
8_im.jpg
792KB, 3283x2189px
>>1047558
>>
>>1047555
>>1047557
>>1047558
>>1047559
Look's awesome anon! How much does it weight? How did you find the process? What's the thickness of the silnylon?
>>
File: 20170523_160056.jpg (751KB, 2125x1196px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_160056.jpg
751KB, 2125x1196px
>>1029703

750 polyester fine for me.
>>
>>1047568
I haven't seam sealed it yet (bad weather here atm) so the weight isn't final yet. I'm guessing it's going to be 400-430g when I'm done with it.

The actual sewing part was pretty easy, since the instructions only use basic flat felled seams. The annoying thing was doing 2.5m seams on a small desk machine. I imagine a professional with a full-sized table machine could do what I did in two weeks in less than an hour.

The fabric is 1.37 oz/yd2 silicone-nylon. All guy lines are 2mm Dyneema cord, with Clam Cleats mini line-loks. I use 2 large titanium V-stakes for the ridgeline tie-outs, 4 Y-pegs for the corners and 4 tiny hook pegs for the sides.

Full summer setup will be 400g-ish tarp for rain, 200g bivy for bugs, 100g tyvek groundsheet and 100g in stakes.
>>
>>1029703
What about a plash palatka? Its heavy for sure, but is cheap, and probably wont rip unless you rape it.
>>
>>1047455

>can't roll over in

The fuck? How small is your fuckin bivvy?
>>
>>1047769
I mean c'mon friend. Seems a bit silly to just bring a sleeping bag to put your sleeping bag in.
>>
>>1047772

That's exactly what your tent is, except larger
>>
>>1047772
What? Bivy's are just extremely small tents anon.
>>
>>1047769
Dunno about him but both of my bivvys are exactly the size of a mid-range 30*F mummy bag. Literally the only difference between them and a regular sleeping bag is they have a tube for a hoop pole to keep the goretex face flap actually up and off your face.

And he's right, if you have the hoop pole in it you can't toss and turn at all or you fuck everything up or outright break the pole.
>>
>>1047772
A bivy is a waterproof cover for your sleeping bag. Don't tell me you want your sleeping bag to be flooded and you eaten alive by mites.
>>
>>1047549
tyvek is too loud
cf is too expensive
>>
>>1047855
>cf is too expensive
That doesn't make it shit... You can get a cuben fibre trailstar for like $380 which IMO is a price.
>>
>>1047809

You've bought one that's way too small. I have a medium sized uk army bivy and its got plenty of room.
>>
>>1047869
Right, it isn't shit because it's expensive, but it's impractical. Most people arent willing to pay 400$ for a tarp, when a 3$ tarp from walmart is going to do just fine, and for saving maybe 1 1/2 lb of weight.
>>
>>1048530
>but it's impractical
I'm with you here. But it's sort of subjective. CF is pretty niche. One it fills well well if you're willing to pay for it

My main gripe is that, from what I've heard, it's not the most durable material in the world. I'd buy a nice CF for a thru hike but I'll keep my short trip tarps silnylon.
>>
File: tarp.png (62KB, 1589x422px) Image search: [Google]
tarp.png
62KB, 1589x422px
What do you guys think of: L.L.Bean Camping Hammock Rain Fly for $60
>>
>>1048971
Kinda small for most camping hammocks, but would work for a ground shelter.

Assuming the sewing quality is there (I have my doubts, being LL Bean and after the 80's) it should do pretty well.
>>
>>1048534
CF will be more durable than 1.1-2.0oz/yd sil nylon. It's fragile compared to the higher denier stuff but it's strong as fuck compared to anything close to it in weight.

It also doesn't stretch at all, so no fly droop like you get with nylon.
>>
>>1048530
Factory, hammock-sized CF tarps start around $200, and if you can glue 2 edges together you can make your own for around $80. If you only need a ground shelter (which are generally much smaller than a hammock fly), you can do it for about $65.

Yes, comparing a DIY CF tarp to a factory-made silnylon/silpoly tarp isn't really fair, but if you want "da best" of any category they're gonna be comparable in price.
>>
>>1048971
Honestly it seems kind of small and heavy but at least it's cheap I guess

>>1048530
I agree with the sentiment but walmart tarps are terrible and weight a ton compared to say paying twenty dollars more for silnylon fabric and sewing two rectangles together to make a 10 by 10. Comparing that to cuben fiber you're only getting a few grams difference in weight
>>
>>1049011
>>1049011
I have heard anecdotal evidence of CF stuff being really bad at handling abrasion, I know this isn't something that a shelter has to deal with a lot, but it's still something to bear in mind.

Also my silnylon shelters have lasted years with heavy use. From what I have heard this isn't something that can be expected from CF.

Like I said I would probably buy it to use on a thru hike aware of the fact that it probably wouldn't be up to much afterwards. Unless you have experience to contradict this? I'm genuinely asking.
>>
>>1029703
https://vikingoutfitter.com/collections/camping-tents/products/naturehike-outdoor-beach-awning
>>
>>1051714
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>1032525
>Also being strong for its weight is explicitly what makes something strong when we are talking materials

Totally true, but we don't get to choose fabric weights. So what matters in this context is whether cuben of the kind you can buy is stronger than the various deniers or ripstop nylon or poly or tyvek or whatever.

When cuben is popular enough that they sell it in different weights, then your point becomes relevant.
>>
I am thinking about epoxying some rings to the roof of my van to attach a tarp for an awning.
Has anyone tried this?
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.