[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recent Buys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_9619-620x330.jpg (78KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9619-620x330.jpg
78KB, 620x330px
Just got this biolite cookstove, gonna take it on my next trip. Bought the kettle too, its pretty fucking shiny.
>>
>>1028978
Is it too late to get your money back?
>>
>>1028980

I needed a stove, whats wrong with it :(
>>
>>1028991
nothing's wrong with it anon. haters gon' hater is all.
>>
>>1028991
>>1028994
>NYC based startup makes gimmicky stove
This product is 95% marketing and 5% trash. Stop shilling for it.
>>
>>1028996
o well
>>
>>1028996

Do you have a reason tho?
>>
>>1029024
>Paying money for a useless USB charger
>Expensive
>Heavy
>Unknown durability compared to proven companies like MSR, Primus, Optimus, etc.
>>
doesnt look like anything id put a fire near know what i mean?

I like my whitebox alcohol stove, weighs all of an oz
>>
File: WhisperLite_International.jpg (48KB, 532x450px) Image search: [Google]
WhisperLite_International.jpg
48KB, 532x450px
.any stove but this
ya dun goofed. it runs on
>white gas
>kerosene
>motherfucking gasoline
why dick around with some gimmick bullshit?
>>
>>1029029
>Paying money for a useless USB charger

It's not a USB charger, it's a battery powered fan that feeds air into the fire.
>>
>>1029113
Equally stupid.

>>1029094
Pretty much the best stove, although there are a few other multi-fuel stoves that are just as good.

Alcohol stoves are also nice for certain uses.
>>
>>1028978
Why do you even need a stove? I've only hiked / camped at National Forests where campfires are allowed, so I don't see the need for a fuel burning stove unless campfires are disallowed.
>>
>>1029123
>Why do you
>I've only

The answer lies in your own post.
>>
>>1029123
>i haven't been to such places, so they must not exist
>>
>>1029123
Campfires are indeed not allowed in some places. Stoves are also useful if you want to cook indoors in a cabin or enclosed shelter that doesn't have an existing stove or heater.

Also consider that a reliable stove can be used for an all-night light source that doesn't have to be stoked and maintained.
>>
>>1029029
Its only 50 dollars for the stove and 50 for the kettle.

Its not that big of a deal.

>>1029092
You put the fire inside it

>>1029094
Yea let me carry 5 days worth of fuel, sounds great.
>>
OP your stove is fine. It's quite a good solution to a number of potential problems - like not being able to have an open fire or needing to be stealthy, or just the fact that with the fan assistance it's smaller and hotter than other options but still allows you to feed it with scrap from the forest floor. I really don't see the butthurt going on here.
>>
>>1029205
Fuel is light. Let's just run the numbers for a MSR whisperlite international stove

Stove weight = 318 g
Fuel canister (0.59l) = 113 g
Fuel (white gas) = 424 g

Total weight for stove and fuel = 855 g
That's enough to boil 26 liters of water, more than enough for 5 days
Let's just assume you use 1/5 of that fuel every day (84.5 g)
That means on average you are carrying 685 g for your stove and fuel.

Meanwhile the biolite comes in at 725 g every day.

If you want to save weight, the biolite is not the way to go. Not to say anything about having to deal with gathering sticks and getting the biolite stove going (even harder in wet weather). You can also add on to that the whisperlite puts out more kJ and will boil your water faster than with the biolite.

Overall the biolite is a shitty product that doesn't need to exist. The electronics are just another thing to break and when they do you are left with what is basically a tin can with a few holes punched in it, and it cost $50+. I honestly couldn't tell you how long one of those biolite stove will be operable, but can tell you there are MSR stoves working as well as ever after 20+ years of hard use that will likely outlive every single biolite stove.

Don't give biolite money, they are just trying to cash in on techie city dwellers who have more money than they know what to do with, have no experience outdoors and want fanzy gizmo to take with on their overnight. It's useless shit and anyone who has used a stove outdoors regularly knows this. Reliability and maintainability are what you want from a stove, not an electric fan to tickle your asshole.
>>
File: HL50.jpg (264KB, 1600x1074px) Image search: [Google]
HL50.jpg
264KB, 1600x1074px
>>1028978
just bought it online yesterday. was reduced to 30 from 50. enough just justification to gear whore
>>
Anyone go woodburning stove? There is a collapsing "nano" something rather that doesn't seem terrible.
>>
File: 1467059112495.jpg (22KB, 700x519px) Image search: [Google]
1467059112495.jpg
22KB, 700x519px
>>1029231
Its just 100 dollars, do you guys not have jobs or something?

gas is fine as a backup but I dont like the idea of going out into the woods and bringing a finite resource for my fire. Its lame.
>>
>>1029247
No, what's lame is shilling for a product that's so shit the only pro is "it's only costs $100" to burn wood.

>has liquid fuel stove
>can't start a campfire as a backup
How fucking dumb are you?
>>
A Victorinox Excelsior

They're cheap and handy little things for a backup blade
>>
>>1029233
Sexy
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>1029273
Neat
>>1028978
After loosing bushcraft mora that was mainly used for cutting food i went looking for cheap folder and got a Shirogorov f3 'mini' clone from chink express
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFK8OXNy78
Blade came in razor sharp thought not sure how good it will hold. Spine is able to strike firesteel just fine, blade is on bearing, locks in pretty tight. For a $17 knife its pretty fine.
>>
>>1029205
to all three points: KEK

"only" is a word you use to justify "only" wasting 50 bucks

have you never used a small wood stove before? when you only have a small burn area they require constant attention, doesn't compare to the ease of stacking up a fire to get a good bed of cooking coals

energy density of fuels is a key consideration. gas, white gas, petrol, etc all have high e density, higher than the meths I use, but for me the advantage of meths is I typically do 1-2 nighters so I can take exactly the right amount of fuel and it's less than packing a full canister.

>>1029247
so you'd rather take a fragile piece of gear that is dependant on electronics?

if you were a purest you'd be using either a woodgas stove, or just cooking on a fire.

>>1029233
head clip design looks good, better than the zebralight system (mine is starting to wear out), the square bezel looks like it'd be an issue for pocket carry tho
>>
>>1028991

It weighs more than a practical stove. Doesn't work in the rain.
>>
>>1028978
/thread
</thread>
/.thread
>>
>>1029119
>>>1029113
>Equally stupid.

Yeah anon, then how do you accept a stove to get any air to the fire without a fan. Dumbass.
>>
>>1029704
But anon, that's not a bic.
>>
>>1029743
Clipper > bic
>>
File: pipeinvention.jpg (39KB, 480x393px) Image search: [Google]
pipeinvention.jpg
39KB, 480x393px
>>1028978
>He bought the memestove

MmmhehehheHEHEHehehe
>>
>>1029135
A group on everest just died from using their stove in their tent but you promote the technique
>>
File: 5037617-RED00.jpg (13KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5037617-RED00.jpg
13KB, 600x600px
Just bought this folding saw, gonna try it out tonight at home then bring it with me next trip /out/. Always used an axe before but this is smaller and lighter so hopefully it works well.
>>
I've used the bio. It's a stove, at least. The fan meant it was burning hotter and boiling water faster than wood burning, but still not as fast as a gas stove. Between the pain in the ass of getting wet wood burning, and the fan's annoying programming to start back up if the fire's still going, even if you turn it off... I went with another option.

For long hikes, it was nice to have a self-recharging phone charger, but the slowness of charging up from fires, giving charge to the phone, and of course that damn weight, make it less handy.
>>
>>1030180

In my experience they do the job pretty well.
>>
>>1030066
they should have known to have adequate ventilation and correct fuel type.

do you not know that stoves are used for heating as much as cooking in subzero conditions?

>>1030180
GJ dude. I have no experience with silky saws but love my bahco laplander pruning saw and my boreal 21 bow saw.
>>
>>1030192
>>1030212
Not gonna lie I bought the silky saw after watching a bunch of survival Russia videos but was gonna get a saw anyways. It's got a pretty tight kerf and leaves a fairly fine cut. Tested it out on an old cedar fence board this afternoon.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_202407061-L.jpg (69KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_202407061-L.jpg
69KB, 799x450px
New riding hat.
>>
>man spends 50 bucks unwisely
>NEETs sperg out

It's like pottery.

But yeah, make sure you know how to start a wood fire okay before you rely on it for anything.
>>
File: IMG_20170604_142058.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_142058.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
Just got an Esbit stove (repro) used by the Wehrmacht in WW2. Really lightweight and has nice solid fuel tablets if you can't find wood to burn. That is highlu unlikely where I am (northern Europe) but it's nice to have options

As for the obvious question: Making a full campfire is not always smart due to risk of lighting the entire forest on fire, with this handy little thing you can contain the fire more efficiently.
>>
>>1030190
>but still not as fast as a gas stove. Between the pain in the ass of getting wet wood burning

If you had used dry wood , your experience would have been much differnent
>>
>>1031102
how much does it weigh? I didn't realise you could use it for twig fires also. Not a fan of esbit tablets but some of the other solid fuel alternatives are great - the modern US one is good, burns clear and odourless
>>
>>1031119
Almost nothing, I think it's like a 100 grams. What fuel tablets do you mean? The ones that came with it were 20 grams a piece an when I tried boiling half a liter of water one was not enough to boil it, close though.

Kind of windy that day, so maybe that was the problem.
>>
>>1028978
Do you even jetboil bro?

Picked up this minimo because I wanted to be able to simmer stuff and do more than just boil water. It's pretty nice.

But... I pretty much jist boil water with it still.

It's a nice stove, although jetboil is beginning to lag behind the competition somewhat. I picked with up on sale for like $70, so I can't complain.
>>
File: IMG_2107.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2107.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1031122
hexamine

currently using a whitebox stove which weighs 30g but alternatives are always good.

don't have a better pic I'm afraid
>>
>>1031129
Oh, another nice thing about the Esbit is that the fuel tablets (6x40 gram) store perfectly inside the stove.

Will have to look into that Hexamine, thanks for the tip m80.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.