[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hatchet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: Estwing.jpg (32KB, 806x569px) Image search: [Google]
Estwing.jpg
32KB, 806x569px
Should I get a Estwing or a Fiskars hatchet?

Which one will last me the longest?
>>
File: Kershaw camp axe.jpg (270KB, 780x407px) Image search: [Google]
Kershaw camp axe.jpg
270KB, 780x407px
>>1028267

Of the two the Estwing is the better choice for durability, I have the longer camp axe with the rubberized blue handle, it will not fall apart like the stacked leather will.

If i had to do it over again, I'd get the kershaw camp axe, my friend has one; it's better for splitting wood.

pic related.
>>
>>1028267
Neither. Get a good one instead.
>>
>>1028312
name a good one then
>>
>>1028322
Good ones have wood handles.
>>
For the price and the size/weight the Kershaw does ok, though it's really more of a hatchet than an axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6NlLzpPUQ
>>
Hatchets are useless meme crap. Get sumpin with a longer handle or just USA a mora
>>
File: vaug1orig.jpg (37KB, 640x288px) Image search: [Google]
vaug1orig.jpg
37KB, 640x288px
Get en Estwing or A Vaughan. They're both great, Vaughan has wooden handles if you subsribe to that meme.
>>
A $15 thing from your local hardware is perfectly fine if all you want to do is split wood.
>>
File: KOhnhRC.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
KOhnhRC.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
>>1028267
I have never used an axe while camping. What do you do with them other than split wood. I usually camp way of trail so there are always enough dead branches to keep a fire going all night.
>>
>>1028401

If you intend to split wood, it's the best small tool to use. No matter how tough a knife is, it's never as good as a hatchet for splitting wood.

I carry a hatchet and a folding knife (orange Endura 4) when /out/. I can do everything with those 2.

An axe is too much, yes. A hatchet isn't much bigger than a "camp knife".
>>
>>1028267
Estwing from the hardware store is one of my most used impulse buys.

The blade cover kind of sucks though, you have to take it off by pulling it down the length of the handle.
>>
Hey OP, you're a faggot. Instead of making this shit thread and killing another you should've posted in the axe and forestry tools thread already up.
What is with people the past two days shitting up the board with their dumb ass threads?
>>
>>1028409
>What is with people the past two days shitting up the board
School's out for the...summer.
>>
fiskars
>>
>>1028409
not op, but i made the other thread and i felt really bad when i saw there was another one up in the catalog. i hit ctrl+f "axes" in the catalog but i didn't get any results, guess i was using the cyrillic "a" which looks the same and i didn't notice, so i made my thread.
>>
>>1028323
>doesn't specify hickory
>calls it a handle rather than a haft

>>1028344
Apparently Vaughn profile is shit-tier and requires re-profiling

>>1028267
OP just get a Hultafors, Wetterlings or Gransfor Bruks and be done with it.
>>
>>1028454
This is out there's line 15 threads just take 30 sec and scroll thru it
>>
File: 5yXGc.jpg (20KB, 327x262px) Image search: [Google]
5yXGc.jpg
20KB, 327x262px
>>1028558
>Apparently Vaughn profile is shit-tier and requires re-profiling
I hope this isn't true because I really like Vaughan †bh
>>
>>1028558
"I'm looking for a hatchet in the $30 price range, any suggestions?"
"Yeah, just buy a boutique Swedish handmade designer artisanal piece"
"I wasn't really trying to spend over $100 on a hatchet though"
"Well you're wasting your time, if the steel isn't cold hammer forged its useless"
>/out/ actually believes this
>>
>>1028744
At 30$ you're going to get average quality irrespective of brand. An axe is not a disposable item so what's the problem with dropping $100 on a tool that'll last your lifetime? Are you some kind of poor fag or just a summer child?

Also hultafors are no where near that expensive.
>>
>>1028558
Doesn't matter the wood as long as its not pine or anything soft. Hickory is a meme.

If I was to specify something it would be that straight thin handles beat thick dogleg ones every day.

Also, every axe needs reprofiling.
Don't buy an axe if you're shy of putting in the work it needs.
>>
>>1028409

>Hey OP, you're a faggot. Instead of making this shit thread and killing another you should've posted in the axe and forestry tools thread already up.

Unfortunately, your thread was and is trash and it deserved to die.
>>
File: right tool for the job.jpg (290KB, 730x548px) Image search: [Google]
right tool for the job.jpg
290KB, 730x548px
i love my fiskars
>>
>>1028778
I recently inherited the family business, so I got all of my grandfathers tools as part of the gig. Every day I use an estwing hammer he says he got before I was born. Obviously it's pretty worn but it works, and isn't that all you need out of a tool? Not to be a dick but a lot of the people who talk about how long things last end up replacing them in 3 years, I'd be surprised if you've owned your gransfors ax for longer than I've been running the company. Tools are expenses, and if you waste all the money you make on having shiny toys, you end up broke. That said I have nothing against spending money on things you appreciate, but at the end of the day if I can use a $20 hammer and get the same results as a $100 hammer (hatchets follow basically the same rule), why would I spend the extra money if I don't want to?

As far as reproducing and that sort of thing goes, who cares if they have to spend a couple hours making a cheap tool work as well as an expensive one? Unless your free time is very valuable, and you don't appreciate learning skills as a valuable time expenditure, why not?
>>
>>1029157
Meant reprofiling, I guess my mind was somewhere else.
>>
>>1028341
what does that mean? Rip the plastic handle off and slap two pieces of wood on for a handle?
>>
>>1029114
same setup, but with matching colors.
>>
I have the estwing, it's been pretty good so far.
>>
>>1029157
You don't buy expensive tools just because they last longer. (Hint: They actually do)
You buy them because they perform more efficiently and effectively.

Good shit pays for itself. And saves hours in the long run.
>>
>>1033743
Do you honestly believe an expensive hammer will drive a nail better than a cheap one? Because if so, I don't know how to help you. A better sleeping bag is warmer. A better tent stays drier. But fuck, do people on this board just enjoy throwing money at useless products?
>>
File: STI-TI14MC-16-2.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
STI-TI14MC-16-2.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>1034254
And expensive hammer made out if titanium is lighter then one made out of steel. It hits just as hard and you can swing it with much less effort. And don't say anything about the wood handle. It dampens vibration and costs about 5 dollars to replace if it breaks.
>>
>>1034254
>>1034261
While in some retrospect your argument has validity, it isn't absolute.
>>
>>1034281
Never thought I'd see a post like this on 4chan
>>
>>1034287
I like this post.

I also like how after that conversation I now can't form a clear intuition about which axe is even better to buy.

He question is almost whether you expect to have whelps who needs turn will whelp and that those ones will want an axe shaped hunk of steel.
>>
>>1034261
>And expensive hammer made out if titanium is lighter then one made out of steel. It hits just as hard and you can swing it with much less effort.

t.american education

its lighter thus have less energy and inertia. unless you start making bigger swings its going to have weaker blows.
you know that's why you have different hammer head sizes.

Also titanium is geartard meme tier
>>
>>1034261
>is lighter then one made out of steel. It hits just as hard
No it fucking doesn't, hammers work by transferring momentum. That's why they're heavy.

> dampens
damps
>>
>>1034369
>>1034376
>>1034254

Titanium is not a meme. I bet you think the only advantage is you get to carry a lighter load.
That's not really a big factor. You should be carrying around 80lbs of tools anyway.

Certain Titanium hammers have hardened steel tips.
Some are replaceable, because even steel waffles lose sharpness eventually.

How's this for education.
The lighter head translates to a faster, more accurate swing with less effort.

Higher velocity will set a nail home in two or three swings just like the added mass of a steel hammer would.
The result is tge same. The difference is you have just used far less effort.

It makes a hell of a difference if you have to hammer 30 nails sideways or over your head, or on a ladder. Just think about 300.

The lighter head is also better balanced, meaning again less effort in the connect and return swings, and also less shock gets transferred to the handle and your arms - which in results in both lasting longer before fatigue.

Now it should be clear that Titanium has several practical advantages, but that wasn't even the actual question.

Still wondering if it's worth the money?
Think about it this way.
The difference between a €30 hammer and a €200 one is a day's work for a skilled laborer.

You put one fucking extra day of work. Or spread it out over a month and its fucking nothing.
And you get to enjoy a superior tool for a lifetime. You get to finish the job quicker and go home less fatigued.
>>
>>1034261
A hammer made of titanium would probably require more hits to hammer in a nail.
That is why I carry a titanium hammer and a heavy steel one. Titanium is my EDC, steel is what I use when I know I will need to hammer many nails. I calculate when to use which based on kcal costs of carrying a heavier hammer vs doing more swings.
>>
oh god, I ordered a axe, and they sent me this fresh unsharpened axe. god I got to sharpen this things. the macheetes are fresh too.
>>
File: i-operate-on-another-level.jpg (208KB, 600x439px) Image search: [Google]
i-operate-on-another-level.jpg
208KB, 600x439px
>>1034398
>The lighter head is also better balanced
the balance is determined by the design / shape not density. a ball of steel will have the same balance as a ball of titanium. the only thing one could argue is that the metal - wood gradient is a tiny bit different. making titanium have a more inward center of gravity instead closer to the head.

>Higher velocity will set a nail home in two or three swings just like the added mass of a steel hammer would.The result is the same. The difference is you have just used far less effort.

thats wrong , its not less effort it's the same effort.
you are working with kinetic energy Ek = ½mv^2 to drive in the nail
you just swap the energy from more mass for v.
2 fast blows are them same as 2 heavy blows. kinda like the lever principle you only have to decide what level of reduction is desired.

>The lighter head translates to a faster, more accurate swing with less effort.
the density of steel to titanium is ~8000 to ~4500(kg/m^3)
so you have swing a lot faster (~1.75x times) to get the same impact. (energy) i would say any claimed benefits of accuracy are lost by having to swing and hit almost twice as fast...

working against gravity /overhead / long distance carrying is the only point i would say benefits a lighter hammer.

>The difference between a €30 hammer and a €200 one is a day's work for a skilled laborer.

kinda moving the goalpost or ? clearly there is a difference between outist larping and holiday use and skilled laborer everyday use. like recommending a fishing trawler for a hobbyist fishermen because the professional stuff if is more efficient, long lasting, and cost efficient with heavy use.

>pic related when you use your titanium hammermaster2000 pro limited edition aircraft grade titanium mil spec hammer to hammer in a nail to hang a picture frame
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.