[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: 91+l2c3Y0qL._SL1500_.jpg (164KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91+l2c3Y0qL._SL1500_.jpg
164KB, 1500x1500px
Kershaw Leek
>mfw just ordered one for $36
Let's talk about knives, especially everyday carry knives, and, in particular, *this* knife. I've loved Kershaws and am intrigued enough by the steel(s) used in this model to pull the trigger and get one, especially after handling another Kershaw while camping just last weekend and reading the following articles today...
>_<
http://morethanjustsurviving.com/best-edc-knives/
>_<
https://besttacticalreviews.com/best-edc-knife/
>_<
Kershaw Leek just got to me; did I get meme'd?
>is $36 shipped a good price for one?
>>
File: kershaw-leek.png (66KB, 959x703px) Image search: [Google]
kershaw-leek.png
66KB, 959x703px
>>1028193
>op again
>mfw only 3 left in stock now
>>
>>1028193
>>1028195
holy shit this is the worst fucking shilling i've ever seen. you should try to at least PRETEND like you're not an advertisement.
>>
>MFW LOL OMG
>>
File: benchmade north fork.jpg (825KB, 1200x857px) Image search: [Google]
benchmade north fork.jpg
825KB, 1200x857px
>>1028193

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.
>>
>>1028199
I'm actually larping that I'm shilling but really I'm just trolling for feedback on if I paid too much and got meme'd and how much I should have paid and what I actually should have gotten.
>begin
(props to everyone who replied to this thread)
>>
>>1028216
;_;7 you'll be missed, anon.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0A-G3kPd3Q
>relevant video
>>
>>1028227
>44 minutes
not a fucking chance
>>
>>1028221

It's not a particularly /out/ knife.

It's a good little folder if you don't really do much with it. The steel is pretty good. The assisted open mechanism will fail eventually (mine took several years).

All in all it's good value for the money but I would choose a $30 made in china spyderco over it any day.
>>
>>1028240
>he doesn't want to give his money to americans
It's like you want China to win; thanks anyway for the good reply.
>>
>>1028193
It's a good knife and a great EDC folder, and that's a good but not great price for that model.

Framelock>linerlock.

It's too delicate to be an /out/ knife.

I have 2.
>>
I've owned two leeks. They're awesome light use EDC knives but the blade is delicate. I have other knives for innawoods but the leek lives in my work pants.
>>
>>1028260
>>1028310

This all the way. Kershaw Will replace the blade for 10 dollars though although it takes a bit. it really thins out at the tip.
>>
File: IMG_20170531_224040.jpg (3MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_224040.jpg
3MB, 2592x4608px
Is this brown shit on my Mora rust or patina?
>>
>>1028423
if it is the stuff near the handle, probably rust

sand it down and re-patina it
>>
>>1028251
>>he doesn't want to give his money to americans

Buy a Buck 110 from Walmart if you want to support America
>>
>>1028470

>Buy a Buck 110 from Walmart if you want to support America

>want to support America

>walmart

kys
>>
OP you did good for the price, it won't hold up to very rugged tasks though... but for everyday life you couldn't do much better for the price on a non-import knife with a spring mechanism of some kind. As stated above, the spring will eventually go out on you, but Kershaw will replace this for you since I believe it's under warranty... of course you could always just buy bulk of springs and just do it yourself. Or when the spring gives you could just use the thumb stud like a regular folder.
>>
Thanks for your informative responses; eagerly awaiting its arrival some time next week.
>>
>>1028470
who in their right mind would want to support "america"
>>
>>1028216
This is a fine serving of pasta. Tasty and filling.
>>
File: m1613z.png (38KB, 920x412px) Image search: [Google]
m1613z.png
38KB, 920x412px
>>1028193

I've had a CKRT M16-13Z for a little over a year now; used it for backpacking in poor weather in northern Arizona and since then its seen a lot of day-to-day use opening and prying.

Really nice knife for the price range.
>>
File: IMG_1921.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1921.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1028713
I convinced my sister to buy a Leek awhile back. I told her to get the one with the better steel. She seems to like it.
>>
File: daysgoneby.jpg (51KB, 619x960px) Image search: [Google]
daysgoneby.jpg
51KB, 619x960px
>>1028216
if your g-pa was as good at telling a witty joke as u may he r.i.p.ip
>>
>>1028193
Carried a leek since 07. I have the model with a serrated blade but its a great knife OP. Hasnt let me down yet. Ken Onion ftw.
>>
>>1028193
You did just fine. I loved my Leek but I'm a knife whore so I moved onto other ones
>>
am i the only one here currently at mid end of production folders considering high end , or even midtech knives?
for a long while ive been considering a $500 midtech
>>
>>1029439
My belief is that anything over about $200 is too far into diminishing returns for a general use knife.

I've got knives spanning the gamut from $25 to $200, and while I can definitely see/feel a build quality difference across the gamut there are enough cheap knives made "good enough" for routine use it makes it really hard to justify the money for the higher end knives.

Normally, the biggest difference between a cheap knife and an expensive knife is blade steel, but this is changing. You can get a $20 chinkshit folder now with 440 or S30V, and 10 years ago you could get an American-made $30 folder with D2 (the Ka-Bar D2, which was the step above the K2). While they may not be the absolute pinnacle of blade steels, they're all a fuckload better than your run-of-the-mill production knives with 420 stainless or the 8cr-series chink stainless. And for the $20 you spend on a Sanrenmu or Ganzo, if you get one with a crappy heat treat you can send it back via Amazon or eat the loss and keep buying them until you get one with a good heat treat and still come out ahead of the game compared to a Microtech/ZT/Sebenza/semicustom.
>>
>>1029443
the knife range im curently in is $180-250 and i justify that price based on build quality, and knowing if i totally destroy the knife the company will do ther best to fix it, and if they cant theyll uually replace it
( also the fact i use my knife multiple times daily sometimes 50+ times and i do need a decent steel to not have to sharpen super often

agreed on the curve of deminishing returns dealio though
the 500 midtech ive been considering is completely sealed from grit and grime, hence my consideration, since i work in some very filthy places, and getting grit and shit in them ruins the action etc
>>
Since this is a knife thread, I'll ask here:

I got a janky tac Force knife from my boss, it's ok and I only really use it to cut cords and boxes, easy to sharpen. The clip came off though, what's the easiest way to Afro-engineer a clip back on there? I don't have the screws or clip anymore.
>>
>>1029459
eppoxy, if you can add back screws as well do that
>>
crossposting >>1030082
>>
>>1028423

a patina is rust, you dumbass.
>>
>>1030586
And if you weren't retarded, you'd infer the meaning between rust as in a patina, and rust as in "keep this shit off my steel" rust
>>
>>1029449
As someone who got issued the more expensive Benchmade knives (940, Nimravus) back before they went full-mainstream for military usage, I can tell you with 100% certainty Benchmade and several of the other knife makers that had a median price around $200 would absolutely throw you under the bus if their knife failed, even in routine usage much less extreme circumstances. Even, or I suppose, especially if you had a cool story about why it broke.
>>
File: IMG_9532.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9532.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>1029459
Since this is a knoife thread...

Make sure you get a good fire steel too!
>>
>>1028193
>op here again
It just arrived today; I am pleased at its ideal heft, nice balance, sharp blade and perfect fit. Its patented SpeedSafe action make it an ideal alternative to those silly fidget-spinners (too bad blades over half this length which open with spring assist are illegal to carry in my state).
>>
>>1028193
I had one of those. Good knife I liked it paid about the same ~$30 or so on amazon like 5 years ago.

Then got black out drunk and passed out in a ditch, next day couldn't find the knife. Oh well.
>>
>>1032147

might as well get a new one... so many new colors to choose from! it's like they release a new color of this knife every time one of Kershaw's employees contract a new std
>>
>>1029041
>Well treated nails
you need to post more pics of her desu.
>>
Knife general? Nice

I have an issue. So I bought some sharpening stone from Lowes, to put an edge on some no name folder I use every day. I'm starting to think that the stone is only for things like lawnmower blades maybe?

It failed to put an edge on my knife, then took the edge OFF another knife. What grit should I be using to get actual sharpness? Never really sharpened my knives before
>>
>>1032472
I wouldn't recommend going coarser than 45 micron grit size for general knife use. This equates to roughly a medium arkansas stone.
>>
>>1032478
So if you were shopping on Amazon for a replacement stone to put an edge back onto a folder what would you look for?
>>
>>1032484
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Natural-Arkansas-Sharpening-System/dp/B001KN3OKY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496778462&sr=8-3&keywords=medium+arkansas+stone
>>
>>1032472
>Never really sharpened my knives before
there's the problem

>>1032484
>So if you were shopping on Amazon for a replacement stone to put an edge back onto a folder what would you look for?
or
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4
>>
>>1032521
I think my technique is okay, I mean there's only so much room for error, right? I made sure I had a 22.5 degree angle and took my time with one knife, about 45 minutes with the folder I mentioned, but I've still got a very dull edge. Dull as in, will cut through rope if I saw for a bit, will not shear paper. The stone is kinda rough though, I've noticed...

I'll invest in the more appropriate stones and see what I can come up with.
>>
>>1032530
even a junky, rough stone can be effective for some tasks

if you couldn't get it to easily cut rope after 45 mins, the problem is with you, not the stone

get a better stone and try again, otherwise get a lansky kit, and or a knife with a scandi edge
>>
>>1032530
Sharpening's a tricky beast. I've been sharpening blades for 10 years, and I'm still learning.

45 minutes is a long, long time. In 30 minutes I took a chipped out parang, ground off the edge, reset a new edge and took it to shaving sharp by camp firelight.

The thing that takes a while to get a grip on is that a knife will be blunt for 5 minutes of sharpening, then suddenly 8 strokes later you've finished. Even the most coarse stone will give you a working edge. Just keep very consistent angles and move on to something finer to finish the edge.

Practice is always the key, though. Try sharpening some paint scrapers or re-sharpening utility knife blades.
>>
>>1032530
There's a few things that will help you develop sharpening skills quickly. The three finger technique is absolutely indispensable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1o70tMHYM
Ignore the bathrobe.
>>
File: bubbles256.jpg (93KB, 680x459px) Image search: [Google]
bubbles256.jpg
93KB, 680x459px
>get a chip in a SV30 blade
>can't remember using it on anything inappropriate
>>
>>1033199

That's because the inappropriate part is using mould steel for knives.
>>
thing one and two
>>
File: WIN_20170610_22_21_07_Pro.jpg (48KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170610_22_21_07_Pro.jpg
48KB, 640x360px
>>1035658
forgot pic
>>
>>1032538
>if you couldn't get it to easily cut rope after 45 mins, the problem is with you, not the stone

My first sharpening device was a Spyderjew Sharpfaker.
I spent hours trying to put an edge on a KaBar.
The ceramic stones were too fine and even after taping 120grit sandpaper on the ceramics I never did successfully sharpen that knife with that system.
>>
File: 1430970212780.jpg (54KB, 303x566px) Image search: [Google]
1430970212780.jpg
54KB, 303x566px
>>1035659
Nice camera, anon.
>>
>>1032530
>he fell for the angle meme

Never listen to anyone who tells you your knife needs to be at a specific angle.
22.5 degrees per side is 45 on both sides. Not even a cold chisel has that obtuse an angle.

For utility knives, always use the lowest angle you can without scratching the side of your blade.
Go lower slightly than the thumb stud opener thing. Your fingers will eventually settle on angle that feels right.
Numbers do not matter.

On a knife with a factory edge, always start on a coarse stone until you get a burr. Learn to check for a burr if you don't know already.
Once you get that burr 95% of the job is done.

The only stone you will ever need is a Norton IB8.
>>
>>1028193
>did I get meme'd?
yeah, your 8crmov is going to be dull within an hour of use
>>
>>1036539
The only knife that doesn't get dull within one hour of use is a knife that never gets used.
>>
>>1036572

Pretty much

Just opening dozens of cardboard boxes in a day at work dulls the VG-10 Delica I use for the job. VG-10 is a pretty hard steel too.
>>
>>1036599
that's what utility knives are for
>>
>>1036572
ive got a knife in s110v and it can do hours of cardboard cutting and still stay relitivley sharp, though i use it for zipties, and get microchips and it dulls pretty quick
>>
Does /out/ make their own knives?
>>
>>1037122
I've made a couple. First one when I was a kid out of a fleamarket file and my dad's bench grinder. Somehow didn't fugg the temper, it actually stays sharp. The rest out of blank kits, with varying degrees of success.
>>
File: Puukos.jpg (159KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Puukos.jpg
159KB, 960x960px
>>1037122

sort of, I'm working on a couple carving puukos right now. I have woodworking tools but haven't got the equipment for bladesmithing. Good Finnish steel is pretty cheap, at least.
>>
>>1037122
I used to do blacksmithing, made some knoves from bar stock as well as found materials - rail spikes and damascus from random stuff like steel cable and drive chain... if youre using primitive tools like a coal forge, hammer and anvil, and no wheel for finishing, it likely wont be worth your time
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.