[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best places in Europe to hike/camp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 092.jpg (2MB, 4912x1080px) Image search: [Google]
092.jpg
2MB, 4912x1080px
I'm going with my family to Europe in just two weeks and I want to stay longer. The problem is I don't know where I want to go. I want to see some culture but I also want to do some camping/hiking which is why I'm asking /out/ instead of /trv/.

So... where in Europe is the best hiking camping, or just general ideas? So far Switzerland/Italy/Slovenia looks cool.
Anyone have experience backpacking (/out/) style while there? Is there anything special I have to do. Also anyone know if I can fly with my whisperlite?
>>
File: IMG_0148.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
>>1027897
Rules regarding whether you can camp freely or in specified and often overbooked/expensive/shitty campsites will vary country by country so check that out.
Personally never been to slovenia but triglav national park looks fucking beautiful, as for switzerland i can confirm its bloody amazing but wild camping isn't allowed though like in many places if you're discreet you can get away with it.
Culture you'll find almost anywhere desu, my personal favorites (besides switzerland) for /out/ are Norway and Sweden as wild camping is allowed and they're pretty scenic, romania, italy, spain, montengro are all really neat countries too
(Pic is interlaken in switzerland)
>>
>>1027897
Northern Spain is pretty good, or unique at least. England is god tier in the summer, since you can just stroll down to the pub. North Italy is good as long as you can find a space in a campsite. The Polish forests are supposed to be out of this world, though I've never tried it myself. I'm thinking of camping in the German Black Forest this summer.

Don't do Russia. Mosquitoes.
>>
>>1027897
Both Norway and Sweeden is very accessible for /out/ stuf with basically any sports store having maps and out-gear and a load of markes trails and parks all over the countries. Also legal wild-camping anywhere. Biggest con is that both Sweeden and Norway are quite expensive - especially Norway.

Where in Europe are you staying?
>>
>>1027897
>whisperlite
As long as you have no fuel
>>
>>1027990
>Biggest con is that both Sweeden and Norway are quite expensive - especially Norway.
It's what is stopping me from going there, but I guess if I go /out/ and tell cities like Stockholm and Oslo to fuck off (who wants to visit little Kabul anyway) maybe I can get away with it for cheap.
>>
>>1027990
I'm flying into spain but will want to visit someone in Germany so will probably head to central europe. Maybe I'll see some stuff in central then take a regional flight to norway or iceland (?) if it's feasable or worth seeing.

Thanks to all for the info so far.
>>
I would advice you to go to the south spain if you want a really different culture that will definitely choke wth yours. The north is really beautiful but down on Andalucia or at the east (Valencia) you will find always a nice weather for adventure, beach, culture and to live for a while in a very different way than you are used to. (Sorry for my english, still learning)
>>
>>1028068
your english is good. Thank you for the recommendation.
>>
>>1027897
Some places allow wild camping. However, best to assume it's illegal and camp accordingly. Pitch late. Break early. Leave no trace.

Scotland has some really wonderful /out/ no language barrier, except for the accent. If you have experince and want a challenge look at the Cape Wrath Trail. One of the best routes Britain has to offer.

I've just been hiking in the south of France which was awesome, wild camped and met great people.
>>
>>1028012
No, going /out/ will not be that expencive since you can stay away from hotels and restaurants. Basically it's just tranport and buying food - which can be done cheaply if you don't live of freeze-dried meals specially made for hiking and such.

About the cities you should really stop trusting 4chan. I've been to Stockholm once and Oslo several times and they're both great to visit, and both have good areas for going /out/ very close by. Three summers ago I did a long distance hike in Norway, starting in Oslo and following a trail north. As soon as you are out of the city you're in a large forested area called "Oslomarka", and if you want to go to the mountains there's easy public transportation to the northwest.

>>1028060
I't depends on what you are looking for. Have been to Iceland twice. It's an expencive place (prices are high on food etc.) but the landscape is fascinatingand sometimes even alien-looking. Its very barren and traces of volcanic activity is everywhere. If you have the money renting a 4x4 car and driving around yourself will give you the best experience if you want to see several of the attractions and want to see the inland-parts of the country.

Norway - as I wrote to the other guy - has beautiful mountains, forests and fjords quite with good public tranport to get to it. Check out the National park "Jotunheimen" for examble. If forests are more your thing both Sweeden and Norway has them in abundance.

If you wan't to go /out/ in Germany i've heard some good things about the "Swartzwald" area but I don't know that much about the country otherwise.
>>
>>1028514
It's written 'Schwarzwald'. If you don't know the proper German name just use 'Black Forest'.
>>
>>1027897
Scotland/Scandinavia
>>
Guide for UK
>London
Brilliant city to visit but very expensive
Nice parks
/pol/ memes aside the inner 5 miles are pretty white apart from Chinese tourists and a few rich pakis
>Home counties
Nice rural vistas and gentle hills and pubs in every village. The problem is your never more than a mile from another person and roads and paths are busy
>Norfolk
More rural but mostly flat boring agricultural land
>moors
Closest you will get to actual wilderness in England. Fun if you want to be away from people
>Wales/Scotland
Good challengeing mountains
Allowed to wildcamp
Miserable weather
>Lake District
Good vistas but full of tourists and expensive hotels and campsites
>>
>>1030095
As a fellow brit I feel disappointed by your lack of mentioning the south/south west. All of Somerset is lovely. Devon has niceish areas around it, as does Cornwall. And in most of those places you're never terrifically far from relatively nice coastline
>>
>>1030095
>Lake district touristy

That's why you go to Dartmoor. Fucking A+ nature, nobody for miles of you go to the right areas. Plus heaps of comfy county pubs around the outside if you are so inclined. It was exactly what I was hoping the English countryside would be like
>>
>>1027897
Switzerland alps

/thread
>>
>>1030095
>Yorkshire dales
Good mountains and hills
>The two moors
Legal wild camping. Inb4 some American loses their shit over the term wild camping. It's we say. Get over it.
>The Welsh mountains
The SAS train here so it's got to be alright.
>>
>>1027897
Mer de Glace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mer_de_Glace
pic related
>>
File: Oeschinensee_4c0e586db8.jpg (373KB, 1288x773px) Image search: [Google]
Oeschinensee_4c0e586db8.jpg
373KB, 1288x773px
>>1034417
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oeschinen_Lake
>>
>>1027897
Corsica! Check out the GR20.
>>
File: 1475024526154.jpg (342KB, 2721x3628px) Image search: [Google]
1475024526154.jpg
342KB, 2721x3628px
Carpathian mountains in Romania

>wonderful nature
>lots of wildlife still
>waymarking second to none
>(un)manned huts all over the place
>Siebenburgen cities are beautiful
>functional public transport
>cheap as fuck
>>
>>1027897
You can fly with Whisperlite but not the fuel. Take the fuel out and clean it before packing.

You have to buy the fuel upon arrival.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.