[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No gear/All natural thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: raza2.jpg (12KB, 258x267px) Image search: [Google]
raza2.jpg
12KB, 258x267px
I've noticed a lot of questions about doing things with no gear and thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to it. I've been trying to hike barefoot and build up cold tolerance so I can sleep outside with no gear.

What can you do with no gear, or what questions do you have about not using gear
>>
>>1026972
Not doable outside the tropics, man. Cavemen wore footgear and used knives.
>>
>>1026972
>All natural
Humans had fur when they were all natural
>>
No gear, yes skillz.

And more than skillz: curiosity, playfulness.

For sleep, try different things. Trix are climate/soil/astrology dependant, so no 1 trick is magic bullet. Try:
• dig hole, maybe hole is warm.
• pile leaves for a blanket, like hedgehog.
• sleep in sun like lizard, travel at nite.

Also barefoot is possible for most peeps during non-freezing days. Lukewarm semi-wet mud best for feet, cold dry asphalt worst. Only remember: zen. Barefoot is problem if you hurry and sleepwalk mindlessly. When barefoot, forget goal; focus on journey. Care and slow is good, at first anyway; your feet will grow strong and agile and gentle and smart. Trust + rispekt + love + harmony <- these you learn to experience towards your feet, your body, once you set it free to grow.

Most shoes are foot prisons and foot torment chambers / humiliation chambers. Feet who grow in shoes for 30 years (like mine did) are like malformed retards at first, feeling only fear and pain and embarrasment when first time free... But persevere! Take it easy at first, start by walking on soft moist grass / mud / sand. Then rest, eat well.

If your feet hurt, take a day off. Give your feet a massage, a bath, a scrubbing. Bandaid the cuts / abrasions, use healing lotions and salves.

Try new shoes too, google "barefoot shoes" and save up that $$$ to get a nice pair of lite-weight/thin-sole/super-flexible shoes. Vibram Five Fingers(tm) meme shoes can be ok, but also try lite/thin/flex shoes that just have wide room for toes to spread; no 5-finga style needed really.

Read up, dream, try/play/experiment.

Build huts, dig holes, try using rock instead of axe.
>>
>>1027009
I can't even handle 60 on a windy night, so I've got room to grow there
>>
>>1027074
Many of us basically do still.
>yay Germanic genes
>>
This summer my 3rd year into my new life.

First foot not happy, pain. But new better shoes ($$$), foot get better. As said, most shoe is prison for foot. Not all shoe is bad:
• most shoe is humiliation for foot.
• good boot is like mecha for foot.
• good slippers: ok for the asphalt city, for walking faster when your mind is tired/preoccupied.

Variation and experimentation.

1st summer barefoot: good learning, trial / error. Also growth, foot bottom got thick and strong, agility +1, strength +1.

Then winter came, must wear shoes again...

2nd summer barefoot: yay winter is over \o/. But: feet again soft like babies. Feet get strong surprisingly quickly, but they also get weak again quickly once you go back to shoes for winter.

So every summer you must begin practice from 0.

...well not exactly zero, some growth is subtle and endures.

My 2nd summer of no shoes, i also begin parkour. For almost 30 years i use shoes and hate most exercise, opting to spend my summers playing Nethack and oogling at anime loli. But then i discover /out/ism and happy to say: despite years of laziness, the human body is quick to recover/adapt/grow. Human is strong, have faith.

Also i try more holistic no-gearing... Turns out its difficult! If day is good, you eat well, warm, nice, clear mind / no worries... if all good, then is possible to sleep naked on forest floor. That only happens (to me) once or twice a summer, as i am stressful and weak still. My crazy friend do it more often, but on the flip side i have gotten to train my medic-skillz on him; he is too crazy. He gets more naked nature sleep than me, but also he takes more time to recover from his extreme craze. I sleep under tarp now 8 months a year, and mostly with quality ($$$) sleeping bags. Couple months all i need is blanket, when summer is best. But all naked?: maybe one or two nights in the year, max, so far. My crazy friend sleep out naked more, but also sleep in mom's bed by mom's tiddy more, to recover.
>>
First i compete with my crazy friend: who is more extreme? Who is more bum? Who is more zen? Who sleep on broken glass in winter naked?

Competition was fun motive, but now 3rd summer. I turn 30year old this year. Now i look for mid way: sometimes sleep with only 1 blanket, but only when its comfy comf comffs doing so.

Some day go barefoot and drink water from holy fountain, no gear needed. Other day go FULL MECHWARRIOR MODE, with strong boots, knee pads, full backbag with laptop, goggles and tools, cybernetic existenz.

Contextual gear variation lol dunno.
>>
File: 1469144017328.jpg (99KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469144017328.jpg
99KB, 600x375px
>>1027151
>>1027158
I feel you anon, some days you need to go /cyb/ and others /out/

I feel society has strayed too far from nature. We need to live at one with it, like pic related
>>
Some cold nights I avoid falling into deep sleep, and try not to forget to keep shivering. Shivering becomes an art form when you are cold and tired. A yogic experience.

That said, I know a guy who has no toes; amputation after prolonged exposure.

Google brown fat; its a thing you get with genes+practice. Gotta eat well and plenty for brown fat to activate though. Cold + tired = survivable. Cold + tired + hungry = uh oh.

Cold? Keep shivering, rub yourself, curl up, fingers in armpits and anus for warmth. If ground is colder than air, or vice versa, alternate the side you sleep on to balance the exposure.

Depending on soil/plants/"earth lines"/etc, you can find ground up to 5 degrees warmer by just wandering around a bit in a small area.
>>
>>1027183
>fingers in anus for warmth.

How many can you fit in there anon?
>>
>>1027240
Train yourself up to a fist. It's all about training the body.
>>
>>1026972
>What can you do with no gear

What can you do with 0?
>>
>>1027183
You're a genius. Keked hard.
>>
would do this but my dick is small enough as it is
>>
i hike with no gear cuz I poor :'(
>>
>>1026972
Kind of want to go full on Neanderthal* for a weekend. I plan to bury car keys and phone etc. In a waterproof container, and go inna woods with nothing other than a knife, matches, quality clothes and water purification tabs so I don't die, and a tarp.
Sounds like a fun way to ruin a hobby and have a stomachache
>>
If you are going no gear/all natural, you might as well go no clothes too. That seems like it would add an interesting, fun element to it.
>>
>>1026972
>I've been trying to hike barefoot and build up cold tolerance so I can sleep outside with no gear.

so wait. you don't even build shelters? like brush huts?
>>
>>1030465
I've done this a few times. Don't expect it to be fun. Its more of an endurance test.
>>
>>1030465
Can be fun. Maybe bring some paracord to set the tarp, and a metal bottle to boil water?

Make tea from wild herbs. Try fashioning a wooden spear if you got potential spear fishing spots nearby. Or maybe bring line&hook? Try eating a bug.

For me the prime downside is starvation. I'm saving up for a quality bow, and this year started a (2 year) school for learning to identify/use wild veggies/berryz/shrooms, so I could finally escape the city for a longer period.

Also: cultivate a mind of playfulness. Or a mind for accepting suffering for what it is (spoilers: it's suffering).
>>
>>1027000
>Cavemen wore footgear and used knives.
Pretty much this

When I was a teen I found an ancient Anasazi burial. Among the bone fragments were pieces of woven rabbit fur and yucca fiber sandals and several flint tools.

'Primitive' peoples used some fine technology, and they didn't try to survive alone. They had family to fall back on.
>>
>>1026972

I don't think no gear is doable, not here in the northern boreal forests anyway.

What I do think I could do is go minimalist and supplement what I bring with skills.

For example - surplus sleeping bag, an axe, a lighter and a pot. I can improvise shelter, cordage, something to sleep on and tinder in the forest.

I reckon I could be reasonably comfortable overnight say if I had gone out for a day hike and got lost. But that's because the clothes and minimal gear I'd have with me would already be a good starting point.
>>
>>1026972
>1026972

lol dude, where the fuck are you getting this idea from? it's dangerous btw
>>
File: disgusted.gif (476KB, 220x110px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted.gif
476KB, 220x110px
>>1027108
>astrology
Fuck off m8
>>
>>1034314
>walking barefoot and sleeping outside is dangerous
>It's been done for tens of thousands of years
>>
>>1034360
>People didn't die in the past to predators or tetanus all the time
>life expectancy did not improve with reduction in risk and with safety / shelter / protective gear
>>
File: IMG_2011.jpg (592KB, 1202x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2011.jpg
592KB, 1202x2048px
>>1034360
So Why would people stop doing it as soon as they had the resources to do so?
>>
>>1026972
I know that penis gourds are kind of a meme at this point, but there's a serious consideration there. Your dick is kind of tender and vulnerable. Various ancient cultures in the Middle East developed circumcision (wasn't just the Jews, Egyptians and others did it, too) to deal with the issues related to getting sand and other nasty shit stuck under the foreskin. In a jungle, like you find in New Guinea, there can be lots of things at dick-height that will fuck you up if you aren't wearing anything at all. There's a reason that primitive cultures developed clothing that goes over the genitals first, and then figured it out for other body parts later.*

If you're talking about "all-natural" as in "naked," I have to advise against it. I tried it, and it didn't go so well for me. Sunburns, ticks, aforementioned dick injuries... not worth it, man.

* I know some asshole is going to come along and say something about neanderthals evolving before modern humans, and in colder climates, meaning that they were wearing insulating clothing before modern humans even existed. OK, yeah, and most of what we "know" about the early evolution of clothing is conjecture, anyway. But my point remains, there have been a lot of cultures that found loin cloths etc. to be really useful, even if they didn't wear anything else.
>>
>>1033083
This.

It's easy to forget that when people showed up in temperate and colder climates, they were accompanied by a band of other people, and had tools and supplies with them, even if it wasn't much. The notion we sometimes get that we should be able to just survive anywhere, all alone, and without any equipment because "lol, cavemen!" isn't really accurate at all.
>>
>>1034384
Same reason people started shopping at Walmart and sleeping in comfy beds. Convenience
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.