[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ in Alaska

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: Alaska.jpg (316KB, 3000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Alaska.jpg
316KB, 3000x1500px
How is it?
I don't have a lot of money but could I possibly get a round trip flight and just stay at a camp site instead of hotel?
I figure it could be pretty nice. Just exploring, and hiking for a couple of weeks.
Could also be pretty cheap considering that hotel is the most expensive thing. I wouldn't need anything besides food and maybe to get into a museum, park, or other.
>>
>>1026431
It's overhyped unless you're born and raised here. Was better before Discovery memed the shit out of it.
>>
Pack some fucking bug spray and a big gun.
Mosquitoes are the state bird. You can camp wherever the hell you want. You don't need a hotel. Watch out for bears and moose, moose especially.
Camp sites are uncommon since you can just sort of walk a mile into the woods. It's pretty much all untamed land, and most places you go probably haven't had human contact in years unless you're following around trails.'

Otherwise, you'll be fine. It gets really hot in the summer. Don't go in the winter. It gets uh... cold.
>>
>>1026534
>Was better before Discovery memed the shit out of it
I agree, there are like 3 current shows about Alaska or located there.

>>1026545
I want to go in the summer, which is when I have some time off. I can handle the heat, I live in South FL. Have dealt with mosquitoes a lot also.
Yea there is a shit load of dangerous animals, I am afraid to get mauled by a grizzly or some shit.
I might have to stick towards trails, getting lost is probably very easy.

Thinking about purchasing an AK-47 soon, so I'll probably be able to handle anything. Only issue might be taking it there, don't know how that would work.
Pretty sure I can OC also.
>>
File: mosq.jpg (99KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
mosq.jpg
99KB, 1500x1125px
>>1026552
it's hot, but it's a dry hot. it's not as bad as in florida.
i lived in alaska for 8 years and camped through most of it, personally never have seen a bear until i went to canada, saw plenty of moose though.

you sure you can handle mosquitoes?
>>
>>1026556
Do you think an AK would be good enough? From what I heard it might not be ideal for stopping big game, but I think I could fair well.

Please leave me some tips or advice, anything that could help out.

>you sure you can handle mosquitoes?
Fuck, I haven't seen this many mosquitoes even in the swamps.
>>
File: bigfuckingmoose.jpg (214KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
bigfuckingmoose.jpg
214KB, 640x853px
>>1026559
an AK would certainly hurt at the least but i have heard stories of people killing bears with .22s

if you can unload a mag into a moose or bear before it hits you, you will probably be fine. again, in 8 years i never saw a bear in alaska but i have very regularly seen moose. i think bears stay around towns and things because there is lot of trash for them to dig in.
>>
>>1026559
btw, the reason for all the mosquitoes is because after the snow melts in the winter, the land gets all swampy and its perfect conditions for mosquito breeding. problem is there are so few people, or even animals in general for them to feed on, so they travel in massive packs and swarm whatever they can find.
>>
>>1026568
I guess I should start shooting if it looks like it has any intention of coming at me. Grizzly with a .22? Must've hit the bear in the eye or some shit.

I think that is probably accurate, but I should be careful anyways.

>>1026570
Shit I don't think some bug spray would be enough, especially if they move in those numbers. May have to put shit on my skin, like tea tree oil or some shit?
>>
>>1026576
afaik theyre not protected and more than likely nobody would notice if you began shooting

we usually didn't use bug spray, around our houses we had those coils that you would light on fire, for the most part i just wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt. to keep mosquitoes away while camping, make fires, try standing in the smoke a little and getting the scent on you. it'll help
>>
>>1026580
Good to know, so I'll probably be good if shit goes down.

Yea I plan on wearing long pants, and a long sleeve. (Maybe a hoodie or something also)
I looked at the temperature and it's warm by Alaska standards but cold by FL standards.

I'll make sure to get smoke on me.
>>
File: stoeger-coach-gun-661x496.jpg (18KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
stoeger-coach-gun-661x496.jpg
18KB, 661x496px
>>1026559
A rifle is not the best weapon for defense in the woods. It's better than a pistol, but both have the same problem; you have to be pretty quick to get on target or you'll just make a loud noise.

Personally I'd recommend a good ol' 12 gauge double-barrel shotgun over a rifle, even a semi-auto rifle. Put a couple of loads of buckshot in and it'll drop anything that rushes at you, and you only have to be MOSTLY on target to have a chance at a good hit. You don't need long or even medium-range accuracy, since you shouldn't be actually trying to kill it until it's close enough to be a serious threat to you.
>>
>>1026600
Shotgun might be good, they're pretty fucking cheap also. I do like that you can just shoot in the general direction or mostly on target.
Ya think it can be pretty much any pump action 12 guage?
>>
>>1026604
Yes, but I recommend a double-barrel over a pump for things like this, for the same reason a safari hunter prefers a double-rifle over a bolt-action. You get the fastest follow-up shot you can have, all you need to do is move to the next trigger. Two shots is enough.
>>
>>1026608
Yea but if I miss I am fucked, unless if I have a backup pistol or something.
>>
>>1026552
>I agree, there are like 3 current shows about Alaska or located there.
They probably help with tourism. Even though they are scripted the only real bad one is Alaskan Bush People. I cringe when I see that. What's really cringeworthy is leddit has a subleddit where I'm at and it cracks me up. I don't even think they live here.
>>
>>1026613
I don't think any of them are real, I bet all of them live somewhere else. They make way too much money to be living in the woods.
>>
I've personally have been waiting for an AK thread. Last summer I spent a week in 2-3 different towns. We fished more than anything, and the mosquitoes.... my bites swelled so large even a few locals said they had never saw bites like those.

Going back for two weeks this summer trip is already booked and we're going to see more and Denali.

also

Would AK be the perfect place in a state of nuclear war? If any of the lower 48 gets hit AK is far enough right? Also right next to our Russianbuddies.jpg???
>>
>>1026906
Yea, I haven't seen an AK thread in a long time.
Did you stay at a hotel or just camp? I am broke so I can't afford to stay at a hotel for two weeks.

Who is we? I wish I had some friends that would be willing to go, but I have nobody. I would have a better time if I had somebody with me. I guess I need to start meeting some new people.

If you're in a remote location it may be good, maybe not the best though. In a nuclear war, the main cities (New York, Chicago, Miami, etc) would be targeted.

Please tell me a bit more about your previous trip, any advice is appreciated.
>>
File: IMG_1499.jpg (2MB, 2952x2214px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1499.jpg
2MB, 2952x2214px
>>1026912

I have family who just renovated a house, their property has a spring fed stream that never freezes pic related. they (at the time) owned an off-road hauler that we all slept in when we traveled, we as in my s/o and the rest of the family.

AK isn't like most states where cities/towns are close, and they all have that small town feel. We traveled 5+ hours south to fish the coast bc river fishing isn't easy when spawning isn't happening.

I'd definitely recommend doing research, there's some cool AK message boards out there. Money wise stuff is expensive there no way around it, I paid $13+ for a small plate of Mexican food off of a food tuck not much to expect being the farthest thing from the Mexican boarder.

But that trip was the vacation of a life time. The sun never went down, wild blueberries grew everywhere, caught huge salmon, ran around at 1am in the woods and yes we had fire arms
>>
>>1026570
It's not so much that they 'travel' in packs. There are just that many mosquitoes on every square foot of the North Slope.
It's much better below about 66 - 68 degrees north tho.
>>
>>1026600
Buckshot won't drop a grizzly or a moose.
You'll need slugs.
>>
>>1026934
Yea that might be an issue, I would be on foot. I doubt I could travel any significant distance like that.
Sounds awesome, really want to do it but I will need a bunch of money I think. Or some friends that live there, or that can come with me.
>>
Summer on the coast, winter inland.
>>
>>1027001
I guess next to the coast for the breeze?
>>
File: 3aaniy5minpy.png (52KB, 410x522px) Image search: [Google]
3aaniy5minpy.png
52KB, 410x522px
>>1026608
>not firing both barrels at once
>>
>>1026552
anon, AK-47 is not that big of a bullet, you're probably only going to make the animals angrier

I recommend at the very least a big bore revolver like .454 casull, and don't listen to fags saying "you just need bear spray bro", because bear spray works like shit on brown bears
>>
>>1027706
I am considering either revolver, or a shotgun.
>>
>>1027926
well, get at least a .454 casull revolver, or get a shotgun and slugs, whatever you feel that you can put more bullets downrange quickly and has a good penetration
>>
>>1027950
>.454 casull revolver
Revolvers are usually quite expensive, so I am gonna go for a shotgun.
>>
>>1027953
if you're willing to pick up a rifle instead, .338 win mag with 225 grain bullets do a good job as far as I can see people saying
>>
>>1027971
But that would be no quicker then an assault rifle.
>>
>>1028074
well anon, just search the internet for which one can make a deeper hole into a bear, there are a lot of people killing bears with a lot of calibers out there
>>
>>1026644
Was just living in a bush village for a few weeks. this husband and wife had an income over 150k. Long term subs make 400 a day in some boroughs.
>>
>>1028417
Doing what exactly?
>>
>>1026431
Go live with the bears lad
>>
>>1027645
>not firing both barrels at once then firing them again without reloading
>>
Bumps
>>
If money is that tight do the smart thing and explore somewhere closer to home. Alaska is probably nice, but if its anything like northern BC its amazing in good conditions and miserable in bad ones.
Instead of spending literally all your money on plane tickets, hop on a greyhound to whatever the best close /out/ state is and save most of your cash so you don't McCandless yourself.
>>
>>1026534
>Discovery memed the shit out of it.
and /out/ists lapped it up and posted about it here
>>
>>1032493
Lapped it up how?
I've seen very few posts about ak
>>
File: IMG_0310.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0310.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1026935
>be 50 miles south of Deadhorse
>wind blowing like crazy, about 45 degrees out
>stop for a snack
>within 30 seconds being swarmed by mosquitoes

It's incredible, they seem to appear out of thin air. For anyone who hasn't been, I recommend not going to AK unless you have 10+ days of free time. It really is a huge state, and you'll be doing a lot of driving to see different areas. I lived there for 5.5 years, and still have stuff to check off on my list whenever I go back.
>>
>>1032534
What part did you stay in?
>>
>>1026431

You're gonna want a few gallons of 100% DEET to bathe in.
>>
>>1032486
Good advice, I'll do this then. The best trails close to me are something like 4-5 hours away? Fucking sucks.
>>
OP You sound like my buddy Danny.
>>
>>1032534
Am I reading that gas is 6 dollars a gallon?
Fuck
That
>>
>>1028074

A 338 WM is show stopper on even the biggest brown bears. With the right ammo is penetrates like a runaway freight train.

A lot of guides backing up hunters on hunts use 338WM for brown bear defense.
>>
File: AKpipeline2.jpg (725KB, 1800x1012px) Image search: [Google]
AKpipeline2.jpg
725KB, 1800x1012px
>>1033938
I lived in Anchorage. It's a mixed bag, imo.
>>1034249
To be fair, I think this is the most northern gas station on the continent. The nearest city is 500 miles south.
>>
>>1026552
>>1026559
7.62x39 is a joke for anything in Alaska, you might as well use the AK for a dildo, since the bear or moose will maul you long before it dies from a gunshot or mag dump.

You want a .454 casull hand gun or 12ga slugs.

Out of those a 12ga is probably the easiest to use and a lot of Alaskan guides carry those for bear.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.