[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kit Critiques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: 20170529_102237.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_102237.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I have been building this kit for a while now and it is enough done to post. I am waiting on the woobie for the poncho which will be rolled together. Also waiting on some actual pack straps. The adjustable ones I am using work but I would like something better.
>>
File: 20170529_102258.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_102258.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1026146
Connections are not ideal between bottom and top but they are solid and work for now. I will be trying out some clips to make it a quicker system. Even so the MOD straps combined with split rings is working well.
>>
File: 20170529_102836.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_102836.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1026148
Everything can break down and can be used for three distinct kit builds. The center piece holds two gsi cups that sandwich a 38oz ss nalgene. The lid has an elastic band I sewed in that retains my fire tin. The outside pouch holds basic food supplies. This is the first stage of the kit for small hikes that I still want to bring a decent water supply or some snacks.

Second stage adds on the side pouches. This is for a full day journey where some emergency preparedness is preferred. Right kit holds first aid and left holds smokes and dugout plus water filter, space blanket, and notebook with writing utensil.

Third stage is for overnight adventures. Poncho and woobie make for a sleeping bag, inside the pack is a base layer rolled up in socks, and a hammock.
>>
>>1026154
It looks alright, but I suggest you add rope, some duct tape and a bigger fire starting kit to it.

How well are you able to carry this, seeing that it is held together by clips, or am I missing something?
>>
File: 20170528_063448.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_063448.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1026157
>>1026157
You are not missing anything and it carries very well. Took it out for about 7 hours yesterday with no issues. This is a crappy pic and I hadn't cinched the straps nicely so it's not showing proper carry height on my back but a pic nonetheless. I look forward to my actual straps arriving cause its gonna carry so much nicer.

I am trying to figure best option to add cordage. Might just put a bundle where my smokes tin goes because I'm trying to quit anyway. Fire tin seems fine sized to me. Fits full size Bic lighter, cotton fuel balls, ferro rod, and steel wool.
>>
>>1026161
very /fa/ pic

anyway, yeah i can see it's strapped to your body so it doesn't move around when you move your torso. I find 5-7mm / 30m paracord the most versitile outdoors, apart from bankline. Honestly I've been in so many situations where I wished I just had a little bit of string, that's why i started carrying the bankline, useful as fuck

If i were you I'd just strap the paracord somewhere and throw in a bit of bankline and you're golden son.

I used to have the same fire kit, but then i just started to carry tinder with me. Coupled with a ferro rod. It's so underrated, the last thing you want when you need a fire badly is having to look for tinder imo
>>
File: turn_yor_head_and_coghlans.gif (2MB, 536x465px) Image search: [Google]
turn_yor_head_and_coghlans.gif
2MB, 536x465px
>>1026161
please tell me those are the Coghlan's™ 12-in-1 scissors!
>>
File: 20170529_114001.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_114001.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1026164
Yeah it holds tight. I improvise a chest strap with some nylon strapping and a buckle that works rather well considering it's ghetto status. Not amazing while running but not bad either. I'm hoping legit straps will help.

The tinder I don't stress on too much. The cotton balls are soaked in gasoline then dipped in wax. One spark and it burns hot and long. They are my cheaters. Tinder usually isn't an issue around my area either even in moist conditions. I will definitely take the bankline into consideration though.

>>1026166
No they are not the Coghlan's. These were on sale on amazon and seemed decent from what I could find to gave them a shot. Haven't done a penny test but they cut nylon straps no problem.
>>
>>1026171
Trust me the line is awesome.

Do you live near any bodies of water? Maybe add a fishing kit, it's the most handy way of getting food
>>
>>1026146
What this kit for? Give us a context.
>>
>>1026146
>>>1026146
>What this kit for? Give us a context.
Yeah what with all the stuff? What do you intend to do?
>>
>>1026217
>>1026224
Read here >>1026154. Three season focus.

>>1026214
There is plenty of water around but I've never had much luck with fishing. It's an area of /out/ that I have to learn more about. Same with hunting. Didn't want to put things in the kit that I don't know how to use efficiently. I plan to develop myself in that area along with foraging this summer.
>>
>>1026252
fuck ye cunt, fishing is awesome, no need to complicate it tho. Just learn about local fish and how to catch them. Carry a simple kit.

Catch a fish, gather a bit of mushrooms, what's better
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.