[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on goretex alternatives such as pertex shield plus,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2769.png (352KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2769.png
352KB, 640x1136px
Thoughts on goretex alternatives such as pertex shield plus, eVent, and neoshell?

Thinking of picking up a lightweight shell to layer over my pertex windshirt for hill walking. Anyone got suggestions? <£150 because semi poorfag
>>
>>1025652
if you believe some of what is written on this board, gore-tex will never work and leaves you wetter than standing in the rain (according to them), some loons rant that they would rather be warm and wet wearing pile and pertex, yet nobody else seems to agree with them since no-one buys/wears it, eVent seems to have all but disappeared, neoshell is going the same way but both apparently work better than gore-tex but none of them actually work at all, but yet again nobody seems to be wearing wax/wool coats other than larping/wannabe bushmen that never go anywhere, but that's only because we all need to be 'woke' from the gore-tex conspiracy

and pretty much all fabrics become useless once the dwr wears out anyway since none of them will breathe once saturated on the outer layer which is why i re-proof everything every time i wash it... so take your pick
>>
Yep, rucksacks destroy jackets too. There are lots of systems, including ventile, and paramo, but I'm interested in a pack away waterproof. The 2.5 and 3 layer pertex looks interesting. I'm more interested in breathability than absolute waterproofing
>>
>>1025718
Also, with this lightweight gear you have to be OK with it only lasting a season or two.

And there's at least two P&P anons
>>
>>1025652
I have a shell from REI, forget which one, but it's eVent. I love that thing, and it's held up to 3 seasons of moderate to hard use.
Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>1025988
yeah eVent seems to be durable. You have to wash and treat it often though, right.
>>
>>1026072
>>1026072

Just wash it.
>>
man, /out/ kinda sucks these days. no anons have any opinions on technical shells?

I mean it's only your jacket, who wears one of those.
>>
>>1026878
/out/ has always been terrible. /o/ knows cars, /n/ knows bikes pretty well, /out/ doesn't know anything
>>
>>1026942
I could probably hit the character limit explaining why I don't use one, but that's not what OP wanted, right. I suggest searching for serious forums regarding different membrane technologies.
>>
>>1026878
Had an old ptfe surplus jacket. Bad breathability turned very bad when dwr failed. Restoring it was expensive af and would not last a season so, I ended hating the concept. When it was the time to upgrade I wanted to avoid dwr at all costs so, I tried my luck with the cheapest columbia outdry I could find.

I'm still testing it. Breathability is meh, but not worst than old gore-tex, and better than wetted out gore-tex and it dries instantly. Durability is fine. Aesthetically, ugly. I'm happy with it, but it is not what they claim, breathability wise.
>>
>>1026878
Marmot Minimalist is a great all season shell. It's also fairly rugged.
>>
>>1026949
I'm not a huge fan of hard shells either, but I'm looking for one to work as part of a system, over a soft shell for when it's heavy rain and wild weather.

What would you recommend as 'serious' forums?

>>1026963
I had goretex years ago, didn't really rate it

I've tried drop-liners, had an arktis smock for a while, but it was heavy and didn't breathe.

>>1027012
Not sure if I like paclite goretex

Currently looking at the Rab Downpour, which is their budget 2.5 layer pertex shield + jacket. I figure it'll give me a fair indication of how well the shield+ fabrics hold up, and if it performs favourably maybe I'll invest in a 3 layer shield+ jacket.
>>
>>1026072
All of them are durable when even halfway cared for.

I've found Goretex to be the most durable, with several pairs of boots over a decade old and going strong, a pair of hunting waders 8 years old and going strong, and some gloves close to 20 years and holding up fine.

And this shit gets used HARD.
>>
>>1027175
Not quite a fair comparison. My first real hardshell was the rab firewall, and its completely different to my gfs downpour.
The downpour is a great emergency piece at the price, but pertex shield plus can vary as much as any other waterproof breathable membrane.
In general tho youll love how soft and quiet it is compared to gore and the like
>>
File: 1471609616-74501400.jpg (39KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471609616-74501400.jpg
39KB, 1000x1000px
Well anons, I found a really good deal on a goretex active smock.

>montane
>recently given license to use goretex
>280g
>discount from £250 to £156

It's been ten years since I tried goretex, I figure this is a pretty good deal so I just pulled the trigger on it.
>>
>>1025652
If you really poorfag I think you could opt for pic. I got this Ferrino PVC poncho years ago during my scout time, it keep you dry for days and I buyed it for something like 10€
>>
Worked at REI for three years, older brother was Army infantry, later I spent two years in Russia, now I live in E TN on some acreage.

Goretex is the best. The failure points are in the manufacture and care of the materials in the jacket surrounding it.

Good jackets have either rolled and stitched, or laser-welded seams. Reinforced material at the wear points (shoulders, elbows, and wrist cuffs especially), gusseted arm joints, and damned good zippers.

After Gore tex, event is pretty good. Paclite is, too. In all of the complaint threads the actual membrane is fine, it's shoddy material and shoddier care in and of the jacket that causes the issues.

My personal favorites are a paclite arcteryx Beta LTand a surplus Army ECWCS shell.

Good brands are arcteryx, marmot, mountain hardwear, Patagonia, and OR.

North Face is hit and miss. Columbia is trash.
>>
Once gortex has been well used and it's letting in can it even be retested well enough to hang on to? My Patagonia shell is about 6 years old and has been well used. However, I was a little lazy in my maintenance son is letting in. Am going to buy some tech wash stuff and dwr spray stuff. Will it work? Or should I bite the bullet and get a new waterproof?
>>
>>1027684
Fucking good jacket mate, ive got the full zip and love it. Its gore active tho, so its not massively durable but it breathes almost like a shoftshell and the fit is great

>>1027755
Goretex should never let in water, even over time. The HH of the membrane, even on the pikiest 2 layers, shouldnt drop below 10,000. If youre getting wet its either because of
>a hole
Stick some tenacious tape on it
>abrasion of the membrane
Only really happens on cheaper, roughly treated or years old jackets, get a new one
>ingress through zips, hood, sleeves or hem
Shit luck cunt
>wetting out causing a lack of breathability
Wash and proof it

You should wash and reproof it every 30 days use anyway, more if youre in a coastal area
>>
>>1027711
Yea I use a silnylon poncho for when I bum around the woods, but they're absolute shit for climbing mountains.
>>
>>1027761
>You should wash and reproof it every 30 days use anyway, more if youre in a coastal area
Any recommended procedure and products to do this?
>>
>>1027761
>Fucking good jacket mate, ive got the full zip and love it. Its gore active tho, so its not massively durable but it breathes almost like a shoftshell and the fit is great

Nice one. That's exactly what I'm going for. I'd have gone for the full zip but it was sold out at the discounted price.

About the durability, have you had any issues from rucksack wear?
>>
>>1027786
Rinse cycle on your washing machine to clear any detergent in the system. Then use tech wash, leave to hang dry inside for a bit. Tumble dry twice, if that hasnt brought back the dwr use a spray. Dedbird made a good youtube video on it, but bear in mind you can only use the wash in proofer with 3 layer garms

>>1027820
Barely had it a season, so couldnt comment. I have heard of gore active piling at the hips and shoulders tho, though these were on the more minimalist versions
Also dont yank the pit zips it pulls on the seams. Shouldnt be a concern with montane quality, but something to consider
>>
>>1027761
Shit I'm guessing abrasion will be it. The jacket is old and has been roughly treated. I'm going to give it a good wash and reproof before investing in a new jacket so fingers crossed.
>>
>>1028491
Idk if they do it on the older jackets, but patagonia do a sort of kit recycling scheme, might be worth a punt
>>
>>1028487
> piling at the hips and shoulders tho

Yeah I've read similar reports. Only one way to find out! I'm hoping it's not going to be a huge issue as I am usually <10kg gross weight on my back for alpine camping
>>
>>1028495
Yeah good idea. Am going to embark on a wash and reproof after the weekend. Will report back.
>>
>>1027755
Contact Patagonia for repair.
>>
Why are there no water proof hardshell coats, They all come with padding and are made for winter wear.
>>
>>1030097
There are a ton of them, they just cost a fortune. Google "three layer goretex hardshell". Pretty much every big company makes one.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 697x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 697x1280px
>>1030156
>Google "three layer goretex hardshell"
I managed to find one coat but not my style, You weren't kidding about the price
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.