[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boots for Russian winter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0233.jpg (38KB, 421x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0233.jpg
38KB, 421x350px
Hey /out/ I'm planning a trip to Russia next January, wondering what boots to buy to handle the cold. I'm from Australia so have no experience with cold below 0c and have been told to expect -30c while in Siberia. Also any advice on other cold weather gear would be great, gloves, socks, pants, layering techniques etc
>>
Buy proper snow boots with removeable inserts. Buy large enough so you can layer socks as necessary.

Are you hiking or just visiting?

If visiting, think about a down parka, a single heavy layer is the tits when you have to go in and out from the cold.

If you're hiking you're going to want layers. That cold you no longer need waterproofs.

Gloves, consider liner gloves plus over mitts, mitts that keep your fingers together (rather than gloves that keep them individual) are warmer.

Personally I'd go for a set of long johns, regular technical trousers, a pair of softie type over trousers, a pile fleece, and wool jumper, over a cotton smock, with a supplementary layer for stopping (down jacket).
>>
>>1025118
Thanks for all the advice! In regards to the boots, can you elaborate on a snow boot? I've literally never seen snow in my life. We will be travelling from the train to the hotel, to a restaurant, to a tourist attraction and back to the train etc...
>>
>>1025118
Overnight in Chernobyl with 2 days of walking around there will be the longest amount of time outdoors
>>
What bunny boots or mickey boots?
>>
File: 1495453216965.png (265KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
1495453216965.png
265KB, 334x393px
>>1025126
>Chernobyl
>Russia
>Siberia
>>
Fellow Aussie here, I just wore RJays Rebel motorcycle boots and explorer socks, it was -20 when I touched down in Moscow and they were fine. The material got absolutely raped by the salty snow while crossing the roads though. All peeling and shit now.
>>
>>1025125
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kamik-Alborg-Boots-Beige-44-45/dp/B00284AH90/

i bought these for my trip to tromso and svalbard in january, i supplemented them by adding an insole from a ski boot into the liner and placing thin foil backed wool liners between the liner and the rubber base of the boot, wore thick socks wool socks and my feet were never cold

if all you are doing is walking between buildings and a train you may not need 'proper' snow boots, depends how long you will be spending motionless on snow/ice, decent hiking boots you already own with some extra insole insulation and full on thick winter sock (like smartwool https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CEO5GO/) would probably suffice
>>
>>1025221
>if all you are doing is walking between buildings and a train you may not need 'proper' snow boots

This. I have insulated mountaineering boots, gore Tex etc, but if I'm walking around in a city I just my LL Bean duck boots treated with sno seal. Who cares if my toes get cold if I'm going to be in a heated building or car in 30 minutes.
>>
>>1024815
I am also an aussiw and live in Moscow currently. I just wear timberland boots to work and regular old hiking boots if in the forest during winter. I just make sure to have good woolen socks on.

Don't bother layering unless you will be spending extended periods outdoors. The heating gets cranked up everywhere during winter and if you are wearing thermals indoors it gets uncomfortable quick... I just go for a good warm jacket on top of regular clothing unless it goes more than -20.
>>
>>1025207
Why?
>>
Is it important that they are waterproof?
>>
>>1025732
Because Chernobyl is neither in Russia nor in Siberia.
>>
>>1025746
Sorry mate did you want my full itinerary? I thought this was a thread about boots and gear...
>>
>>1024815
You will be fine in any boots just get some good woolen socks.
Source: I'm Russian
>>
>>1024815
>Russia next January
>have been told to expect -30c while in Siberia.
I had -30°C there last March, expect possible drops in temperature drops to -40 or even -50°C.

>>1025763
Not him, but given that this may make quite the difference in temperatures/air humidity, it isn't a stupid question.

>>1025733
Nope, too cold for rain. Windproof is important.

Anyway, if you're just going to be frolicking about the city, don't worry too much. Warm boots, liner socks and a pair of warm socks will see you through. Feel free to ask further questions.
>>
>>1024815
>never seen snow
>wants to go to siberia right away
its gonna be really harsh, just go to central Europe in winter alteast for a start, or somewhere where its not -40 in winter
>>
>>1026084
What city do you live in?
>>
>>1026169
I plan on getting something like icebreaker thermal underwear as my first layer but after that I'm not so sure, don't want to look like I'm about to climb mt Everest every time I enter a building.
>>
>>1026172
Yeah you are probably right but I won't get another chance to take a holiday this long for quite a while so I want to do something memorable and different to previous holidays. It could be 40c when I leave Sydney and -40c when I get to Russia! I figure if I do my homework on proper gear and don't leave anything out I should be ok, it's not like I'm going camping in Siberia
>>
>>1026410
Throw on a fleece and a warm (down) jacket and you're most likely good to go. Was /out/ on Lake Baikal for ten days and only needed my down jacket in the mornings when not warmed up yet or when sitting still. Bring warm gloves and something to cover your head as well.
>>
Get what has been recommended already and add a scarf to that, scarfs really help
>>
>>1026407
Vladivostok
>>
>>1026414
well either way
good luck
>>
>>1024815
I wear these in the NWT
>>
Mickey Mouse Boots. They're the warmest boots I've ever owned. I do plenty of ice fishing in sub zero temps and these coupled with a nice pair of wool socks do the trick.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.