[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wilderness Training in NoVA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: nunst075.gif (13KB, 384x247px) Image search: [Google]
nunst075.gif
13KB, 384x247px
Hey /out/ I live in Northern VA and I am looking to train myself in wilderness/primitive survival skills. Would there be anyone on this board that knows a good spot to start? Speaking in regard to a location that's rather uninhabited to practice or even books to pick up/videos to watch? I have pretty novice tier knowledge on this subject.
>>
File: skiff.jpg (405KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
skiff.jpg
405KB, 1536x864px
>>1024023
Welp, as someone who lives in Southeast VA, your pretty much boned in terms of places to go unless you go out of state, to the George Washington National Forest, or take an interest in kayaking.

If you do go somewhere to practice bushmeme/wilderness survival in the NF, try to do it a decent distance away from roads as most of the easy to access trails are pretty heavily traveled and people that do that lead to more restrictions for primitive campers.

Also, if anyone knows of some decent locations to camp/hike at in VA feel free to chime in.
>>
>>1024023
Lurk more
>>
>>1024086
I had a feeling this is the response I would get, bummer. I've been down towards GWNF before so I actually might consider a trip there.

Know of any good bushcraft youtubers that teach some good primitive skills?
>>
File: 1495838777858.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1495838777858.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>1024089
I rarely lurk this board faggot
>>
>>1024023
Alexandria? Also previous poster was right about GWNF. Monongahela in West Virginia is also good, and plinking is allowed there which may or may not be a plus for you. For the most part the trails I've done haven't had too many people on them, maybe one or two on average per 2-3 day trip. Would tell you which trails but I'd rather they stay pretty empty, if you know what I mean. I will say hiking upward can be helpful, they provide free topo maps (not the best quality but good enough) for the areas around some trails, which you can use to find less populated trails and cool features. There's also St. Mary's Wilderness, but I haven't been yet so I can't speak to how busy it is.
>>
>>1024102
For the most part I guess I really gotta go towards the Shenandoah area. A daytrip seems out of the way so I might have to camp overnight. Thank anon
>>
>>1024023
Move to The interior of the US. More land less people. Lots of state/public land.

Look at all public land in your area. Trails, parks, hunting areas, atv trails,timber land, tax forfeited land,etc.. should be able to fuck around in the woods, as long as it's not explicitly stated. Your states dnr or game/wildlife department website is a good place to look.

Never been to Virginia but the terrain looks sweet.

T. Minnesotan
>>
>>1024101
Then don't start threads here, asshole
Go back to wherever you came from
>>
Southern MD here. Monongahela is good but avoid Dolly Sods...too many people.
>>
>>1024250
Noted, thanks
>>
Hit up the Appalachian trail. Work up from 10 Mile day hikes to overnighters at a shelter to 3 day trips off the trail a half mile, in the normie free zone
>>
File: PicsArt_02-04-02.13.20.jpg (449KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_02-04-02.13.20.jpg
449KB, 1600x900px
>>1024023
Woodbridge fag here. I'm just a fisherman so I know fuck all about primative but Bull Run out near Hemlock has some allright trails. Trout fished GWNF and it would be the tits.
>>
You live in one of the shittiest parts of the country to practice survival. You'll never be more than a mile or two from any road. There's a hoard of college students, hippies, and thru hiker fags on the AT and adjacent trails all around you. Forest officials are always dicks. And you have to go basically into West Virginia to lose cell reception and really experience /out/.

I'd just suggest you move away from all of the congestion and sandniggers taking over every neighborhood.

t. former NoVA fag now living on 15 acres in Texas
>>
For anyone in Virginia that wants to join the VA S/k/out/ chat shoot me a message xvhamvx.
It's mostly /k/ related but we have weekend camping trips every now and then.
>>
>>1024023
If you have wheels and gas money, which I assume you do living in one of the richest parts of the country, drive into West Virginia. It's not that long of a drive and the traffic isn't bad. I don't go /out/ too much but I like the Canaan valley area. Dolly sods is supposed to be really nice as well, although I've never been there.
>>
>>1024023
Nova fag here.

I'm in Loudoun and we have some nice mountainous areas near pevs paintball off evergreen mills. Other than that I'm in the same boat as you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.