[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else Prepping here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: CHGqt_uWgAIuolT.jpg (61KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
CHGqt_uWgAIuolT.jpg
61KB, 600x398px
I feel like a lot of people here ate preppers, survivalist, ect...
What are you doing to prepare? What do you feel like you have a good handle on? What don't you? How's growing your own food going? Energy? Medical herb garden? Let's critique and help each other out!
>>
File: 1481082875285.jpg (72KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
1481082875285.jpg
72KB, 800x516px
>>1023796
Yep. Trying to raise as much food as possible. Got a garden, some chickens, and a few months worth of food storage. Got a berkey water filter and some anti biotics. A few gallons of water stored, but a water collection system in the backyard for emergency only. A few guns for protecting the family. And I lI've in the rural parts of nc with a good community of like minded people.

Mainly I just like living in my own way and not being overly dependent on "the system". As long as you keep it sane and fun, it's healthy and smart. Just don't go full "doomsday"
>>
>>1023796
Yep. Same as guy above me. Few months of food storage (rice/beans/wheat/canned goods) should last about 7 months. Trying to get a good crop garden going. I raise rabbits due to noise from chickens and they are actually great at fertilizing my yard in their rabbit hutch tractor. I got a smaller water filter than yours but also keep a gallon of bleach on hand to disinfect rapidly. Also, I have medical things and lots of hand sanitizer on deck should the water get stopped or infected.
>>
>>1023814
Where did you buy the food storage from? What breed of rabbit?
>>
Just disaster preparedness. Some clean water, non-perishable food, fuel, basic meds, etc.

Anything additional seems like a waste of time/money for living in the US.
>>
>>1023828
I bought it from Sam's Club. It was a few hundred bucks but I think it was the best price per calories provided. I bought new zealand rabbits. They are fast growing and provide a lot of meat
>>
>>1023833
Yeah, I started with those. Then I started looking into how the world is right now and decided I'm going in deeper to ensure I will never go hungry again. (I was a child during the German siege in Leningrad, I will never let that happen to my family while I have the power to help it)
>>
>>1023839
Fair enough. I don't really buy into the doomsday scenarios that most preppers seem too. It is too large an investment for something that will probably never happen. In order to fully protect yourself from something like your childhood, you would need to really make prepping your #1 life priority. You'd need to move out to the sticks, live off the grid, farm without relying on external fertilizers, and probably have a dozen kids to help tend the farm.

I try to support local farmers when I can. It's usually better produce and I figure a shorter supply-chain is harder to disrupt.
>>
Don't forget to buy some salt for your food stores.
>>
>>1023839
So you're 80 years old?
>>
>>1023857
Really once you are established and bought the stuff, it becomes maybe a few hours of work a month in the garden. It's relaxing but still gives me piece of mind.
>>
>>1023865
84 last week! But I only feel 75. :-) my great grandchildren help out thier old dadyshka a bit these days
>>
I'm prepping to remove antifa.

Pretty set as far as food/water goes. My main concern is economic collapse more than anything. Global warming is just going to make my area a temperate forest if the rain and snow keep up this pace
>>
>>1023871
stop larping
>>
>>1023881
Yeah, gotta work on my helicopter maintainance skills as well.
>>
>>1023887
Heт
>>
>>1023895
кcтaти пишeтcя кaк ‘дeдyшкa’.
>>
>>1023796
Seriously speaking it is more of a life style then anything else.

A man could take my tool belts and have still no idea how to build a house.
>>
>>1023941
Very true. It's all Knowledge. Just like how proud I am off my Lamborghinis and shelves of book. Haha
>>
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6e3oH1LuRvzeGZlTHRkeHZQSkk/edit

Free eBook about the topic, if you guys are interested.
>>
>>1023796
I don't think of myself as a "prepper", but I've integrated habits into my life to be ready for disaster.

For example, I have an inordinate amount of shelf stable dry goods, my backpacking rig is always packed and stocked with 3 days of non-perishable food, and I tend to keep travel booking apps on hand just in case I have to hoof it to a greyhound station outside of an effected disaster zone or something.

I keep my car stocked with emergency equipment and lifeboat rations.

In my region, week long snow emergency is a realistic threat, so having extra food and equipment on hand just in case the world shuts down for a few weeks is simply something I feel like I have to do.
>>
Not a prepper. I just enjoy having a self-supporting system.

44 acres in E TN. Well, year-round creek. Solar and hydroelectric. 3 acre garden. 3 more cleared, the rest hardwoods. Basement stocked for about a year. Two barns w/ shop, garabe, and additional storage. Hasguns. Closest neighbor is 1.5 miles away.

Kinda hoping for it to happen. My area will do well. Most people here are similar to me. Very few minorities. Local cops are bro-tier and know their place. Wife and her family are on the same page.
>>
>>1023881
Eliminating locusts/freeloaders is one of the things I look forward to.

Very fortunate to live in an area of the U.S. that hasn't been infected with SJWs and liberal transplants; and the baggage that comes with both.
>>
>>1024849
lol post a pic of your gut and tell us your great life. Let me guess, student or retail? kek
>>
File: MAGA.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
MAGA.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>1024853
I don't get it?
Are you trying to say the sterotypical feminist progressive buzzwords are somehow fitizens? They literally the same people who cry about fat shaming.
>>
>>1024867

He's saying that because I don't live in an elite, intellectual, urban area I am, by default, a fat redneck and/or LARPer.

In other words, he's one of the locusts.
>>
>>1024849
The most liberal areas of the US are literally subsidizing the most conservative areas of the US.

Not sure who you think is freeloading, but I am willing bet freeloaders are disproportionately preppers compared to the overall US population.
>>
>>1023796
I basically just took a waterproof navy crate from my dad and filled it with non-perishable food, a machete, knife, axe, mule tape, nylon, jerky, mess kit, fire-starting supplies, mosquito netting, a sleeping bag, boots, etc. and placed it in my truck bed for any emergency situations. Not a true bug-out kit but it works for me
>>
Not prepping per se but I invested in a Mercedes 300td wagon this past year, feels good knowing I could fuel up at McDonald's kek
>>
The most conservative states are literally feeding the rest of America and parts of the world
>>
>>1025344
In response to
>>1025101
>>
I wouldn't really call it prepping, since it's just kind of what everyone does here.
>tornado alley
>floods every single spring and about 1 in 3 winters
>about 1 in 5 winters we get snowed in for >7 days
>experience >5 day power outages 7-10x a year due to above reasons and general incompetence of meth-head power company workers
I've got an LP gas generator capable of running my HVAC system, both fridges, and the deep freeze, fed off a 120lb cylinder. I've got 2 fridges and a deep freeze. I've got a full pallet of sand bags. I do home canning and have a small garden, coupled with a Sam's Club membership I've got enough nonperishable food to feed my family and a couple +1's for 6 months. I've got guns, which is expected and normal for the rural midwest. My house has storm shutters and hurricane film on all the windows, and is brick, so it should be at least moderately tornado resistant.
>>
>>1025101
Since this is a thread about prepping and why one does it, I guess the context and the implied future tense of my statement went about 10 ft over your head.

I'd like to know what you mean when you say subsidizing. Food? Raw material? Finished goods?
>>
File: 1485526424477.jpg (292KB, 703x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485526424477.jpg
292KB, 703x960px
>>1023796
The only people who hate preppers are city people who have become used to their comfortable lives. Being prepared and having the knowledge to endure a natural or manmade disaster is a very basic human thing.
>>
>>1025432
They feel like nothing can ever happen and we are literally crazy.

Good when shit goes down they probably wont even know how to reach us.
>>
>>1025344
>>1025345
Pretty sure it's California feeding the US
>>
There are a LOT of moths in my house, pretty sure I could live off those for at least a little bit
>>
>>1025101

You're quoting a fake statistic, one that's off topic for this board. Get there back to /pol/ and complain about it there.
>>
>>1024695
So jelly.
>>
My preps are a rifle and ammo. I would kill people for their shit if a scenario where preps were needed ever unfolded.
>>
I bought into the prepping meme in late 2000s but I kinda migrated to enjoying more /out/ than worrying about shit that may or may not happen. Where I live there are no natural disaster threats of any kind other than a meteor hitting earth.
Plus politicians and corporations are selling us /out/ anyway. They will throw everything we built under the train in exchange for shekels, the West is no longer proud, respectable and resilient.

>>1025444
>Good when shit goes down
Except it never happens. And maybe people like the guy in this thread who have lots of land can make it but if shtf for real the ones surviving it are the ones in the multi million$$$ compound with access to the latest and greatest medical tech, food sources, information, support chain and so one and so forth.
>>
File: 1479762774973.jpg (67KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
1479762774973.jpg
67KB, 500x276px
I prepped, a product of the '08 recession and poor upbringing.

Kept getting cash back for the past 2 years and ended up with $15,000 in the safe.

>Mfw everyone made 15%-35% in the market and I can't even launder my taxed cash into a mutual fund.
>>
>>1027341

My biggest fear in this scenario is desperate locals.

I'd actually feel more secure in a disaster scenario. Initial event + 30 days afterwards would take care of the lazy and the sick/old/medication dependent population.

A slow collapse worries me more. Gradual degradation of law, supply chain, and services would leave a large, stupid, entitled population time enough to start thinking and acting in really dumb, really dangerous ways.
>>
>>1027257

I'm 36, nearly 37. Took me 9 years to get to this point. I burned half my prime years so far to get this. Just to get out of the sick city culture and get some space to breathe. I feel 50 years old. Plus; it took luck, a massive failure in 2012, and then more luck and application of life-altering lessons. Worth it but, I get why most people stay at the "someday..." stage. I was simply too ignorant/stupid to know what it would cost.
>>
>>1023941

Yep. It's a discipline. Not cutting corners.
>>
>>1027296

You're the type that's trouble. Your little warlord dreams end with your head on a stick at my front gate.
>>
what do u do when nogs with guns and fire want gibs and ask where da white women at
>>
>>1027776

Warm up the backhoe and get my brother-in-law on the HAM.
>>
>>1025076
Lot of that going around here and on /k/. Fucking carpetbaggers
>>
>>1027893

They're not carpetbaggers, necessarily. They're just young. They haven't been passed over for promotion, or been nailed by taxes, or had a distasteful law shoved in their faces yet. There's time. At least they're here, and armed. Everything is still an abstract to them.
>>
>>1025344
>Whiter states sending more welfare to the south which is more Republican
>not recognizing that the south has a higher percentage of black people than any other region
Hmmm
>>
>>1027764
I'm 24 and just got into this kind of mindset in recent years. I'm at a point where I just want exactly what you have going. the thing is, I'm about to finish my marketing/business bachelor and have no idea of where to start. I just feel like I'm going the opposite way right now. I'm euro-based btw.
If you have any tips of things that you learned along these years, it'd be great if you could share them.
>>
>>1027839
As someone who grew up in rural South Africa I can assure you that is not a strategy for success.
>>
>>1028748

Preserve your credit rating. Save money - land isn't free.

Figure out what you're good at in terms of work and master it. You may not like it but, you get paid for being good at something. Not for being happy.

Don't start a business, or join a startup, that doesn't have a p!an, a defined market, and funding.

Whoever you work for, whatever company...they don't care about you. At all.

Don't do business with the Chinese. Don't get in a serious relationship with a Russian woman. Don't lend money to friends or family.
>>
>>1028815

So what is? Run away to a country of people that do defend their land?

Interesting, hearing from a citizen that contributed to the collective failure of a nation.

What, exactly, do you have to offer, other than being a living example of what not to do?
>>
>>1029186
>t. clueless
>>
>>1023796
Lots of guns and ammo. I plan to kill my way through any situation. I have 427 assorted rifles and handguns. Home made torches and gas food. I have 3 secret bunkers in the woods no one has found ever 11 years and counting
>>
Swede here. Not really 'prepping' though I have done some preparing. Mostly expanded my normal hiking stuff and having spares and some extra supplies stored from various sources.

40 MREs I've gotten over the years from the army.
Enough canned food for 2 weeks.
About a week of frozed lunchboxes along with about 10L of water frozen aswell.
Spare fuel canisters for my camping stove.
Spare ammo for my rifles and shotgun.

It really just comes down to buying in bulk during discounts and rotating. I also have the means to repair most of my stuff and keeping my stores topped off.

I want to be able to sit out most disasters for atleast a week and then make my way to my familys vacation house in norther rural sweden where we can *kinda* selfsustain.
>>
>>1023994
Good stuff anon, thank you!
>>
>>1031654

t. stateless
>>
>>1032540
>implying I'm an Afrikaner
lel. You're just a fucking retard to assume that what applies to the US would apply to SA where European descendants are so fucking outnumbered.
>>
>>1027776
You open fire.
>>
>>1031947
Your demographic situation is already a disaster
>>
>tfw just made my first batch of jerky
top round went on sale and I got 5+ lbs for 12 bucks, not bad

now to invest in a machete and a dual sport bike and I'll be fully /prep/ped
>>
>>1032860
>60% white only
Ok amerilard.
>>
>>1025455
People dont eat exclusively almonds.
>>
>>1025455
Just because people are Mexican doesn't mean they are from California you racist nigger
>>
File: 1426029546788.jpg (32KB, 405x376px) Image search: [Google]
1426029546788.jpg
32KB, 405x376px
>>1033254
>>
>>1023996
>I don't think of myself as a "prepper", but I've integrated habits into my life to be ready for disaster

This is what most preppers recommend. All the press goes to preparing for zombies or nuclear war or other end of the world shit but the truth is that everyone will encounter a local disaster of one kind or another.

Most Western governments recommend that all citizens keep supplies for at least a few days or a week.

Wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, blizzard, terrorism, supply chain disruption, etc. Something is bound to happen to you in your life. When it does, your supplies come into play. Meanwhile, it fosters independence, can be financially useful, and carry you through household emergencies. Or keep you going if you lose your job.
>>
>>1036351
>Wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, blizzard, terrorism
Feels good living in a place where none of that is a concern

>Supply chain disruption
Well this can happen everywhere I guess but the usual amount of food in my storage will keep me going for at least a month.
>>
I'm not sure if I'd be considered a prepper by some, but I'm preparing for a layoff. Saving up my cash and buying rental property to eventually replace my income.

I figure that a layoff is way more likely than any big shtf scenario, so I'll be happy if I'm just covered for that
>>
iv'e been slowly filling up the cabinets because why not. canned food is dirt cheap. got about 20 gallons of water.
>>
>>1027296
All of you fuckers will be wandering around bumping into other like minded idiots and killing each other, while preppers are lying low in safety.
>>
>>1027341
>you cant trust politicians or society so why bother being able to live without them
>life is impossible without modern technology
>i won't be able to maintain my sheltered and pampered lifestyle when shtf so why even bother preparing for it
if this is a well-disguised shitpost parodying the classic beaten-to-death anti-prepper mentality then good work, otherwise gtfi and have fun dying when politicianstein nuclearbunkerberg stands to profit from a sudden reduction in civilian affluence
>>
>>1023994
Thanks
>>
i got enough containers for a lot more water. But got to get rid of some to make room.
>>
File: 1497047153720.png (428KB, 576x469px) Image search: [Google]
1497047153720.png
428KB, 576x469px
>>1027296
*tips*
>>
>>1023796
Gather shit for a good BoB. Got nearly everything i need. Though i still really should learn more basic survival skills and i also dont have really much of a plan on where to go since i live in the city. Also europoor so no guns.
>>
>>1025455
Nah. 13 Midwestern states produce around 15% of all grain worldwide and nearly 40% of all beef worldwide.
>>
File: CQ9pZYWUkAAYRth.jpg (10KB, 254x321px) Image search: [Google]
CQ9pZYWUkAAYRth.jpg
10KB, 254x321px
>>1027346
>Mfw everyone made 15%-35% in the market and I can't even launder my taxed cash into a mutual fund.

I made some money in the stock market during the early recovery of 09 and 10 and paid off my remaining mortgage so i wouldn't ever have to worry about housing again.

>mfw 120k in the stock market in 11 would be worth 300k now

I hear ya...
>>
File: RED-GEAR.jpg (123KB, 567x800px) Image search: [Google]
RED-GEAR.jpg
123KB, 567x800px
Who hear /sips/ as part of their prepping? I got several cases in the basement. Don't want to be caught without my 140 mg of caffeine and 200%DV of four different B vitamins worth of hydration without any unwanted sugar or calories!
>>
>>1040563
> But the midwest makes corn syrup
Nobody considers that food except you anon.

>US makes less than 20% of worldwide beef, but muh midwest states make 40% of worldwide beef
Stay obsessed.

It's not even a problem that California is where your fruit and veggies come from, it's just an amazing place to grow quality shit year round.
>>
>>1042700
that image triggers me way too much, fucking consumerists.
>>
>>1042748

Do you need a safespace?
>>
>>1039052

That's great but where the fuck can you live that there are no natural disasters?
>>
>>1042748
>>1042809

If you're a magazine trying to cash in on prepping (or even an enthusiast trying to keep the lights on), then all the money is in gear promotion. Ads, "reviews" where nudge nudge the magazine gets some $$$, and selling your subscriber list to marketers.

Plus, a gear review is great. You get a free review device. The manufacturer gives you a fact sheet and a press kit that does all your research and writing for you. The article writes itself.

Plus most preppers are gear obsessive anyway. It's what they want.

Meanwhile, imagine now an article on prepping strategy and survival skills. You need to do real research. Maybe field tests. Maybe you have to have some credentials to write the article in the first place. There's always new gear, but what's left to say about nuclear war? And odds are you'll blunder into political or scientific controversy. Or even just fads and religious debates about survival opinions. That's a lot more work for an article that's not likely to be well received.

See the problem?
>>
>>1025455
>all you eat is avocados and almonds
>>
>>1027776

Affix bayonets
>>
>>1031885

Im really curious to see a picture of 400+ rifles with a timestamp
>>
im finishing my studies to be an engineer but my intermediate family all live on our homestead on the east coast of canada. We have pigs, sheep, two goats, two horses, turkeys, egg hens, meat birds, two dogs, and lots of bees. We grow hay, and a lot of produce and corn/potatoes. We have lots of ammo, and food storage and food presevres we make. My brother operates a micro brewery on the property, and our land goes to two ponds and a river which all supply us with water. We never planned it to be like this but it is. We also have a lot of woodland because our property is on the junction of dyke farmland/coast and boreal forest. There are blizzards here but snow removal infastructure is incredible out here and they can easily handle 100cm one night snows. There are weak hurricanes here but besides that, the only disaster which could befall us is man made. A crash. We're ready, though not intentionally.
>>
File: property.png (760KB, 969x720px) Image search: [Google]
property.png
760KB, 969x720px
>>1045452
dont have any other pictures but this is the boys
>>
>>1045361
Woah anonbruh that's a statist remark
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.