[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Illnesses, injury and close encounters while /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: giardia-trph1.jpg (11KB, 541x464px) Image search: [Google]
giardia-trph1.jpg
11KB, 541x464px
Pic related, Giardia the worst I've ever gotten while going out. It was just from drinking creek water. Fever and vomit for a day then my burps smelled like sulfur for a month.

Has anyone here had anything cool?
>>
File: 1472397630471.gif (2MB, 320x316px) Image search: [Google]
1472397630471.gif
2MB, 320x316px
>>1023361
went to Africa
got aids
>>
>>1023361
>be 8 years old
>spend all day every day growing up dicking around innawoods
>constantly turning over rocks and logs to look for cool animals, plants, fungi, etc
>contract pinworm
>oh shit, my butt itches
>it's okay though since now I get a chocolate doughnut that my mom put the pinworm medicine pill in
>eat doughnut
>go back outside

zero fucks given
>>
>>1023361
>illness
I've had medically diagnosed Lyme disease twice, and I have all of the symptoms of chronic Lyme.

Got trichinosis from a bear fry. Nobody even fucking told me it was bear. Assholes.

Couldn't tell you the number of times I've had some intestinal bug or similar from drinking contaminated water (always either with treatment or from a commercial source that was supposed to be trustworthy). Just goes to show that anything other than boiling isn't foolproof.
>injury
Following my dad down a trail and a hawthorn branch had snagged on his pack. Naturally it ripped out and whipped me in the face, driving a ~4" hawthorn spine clear through my nose sideways. Still have the scar 22 years later, looks like a chicken pox scar. Missed my eye by less than an inch.
>>
>>1023361
got bitten by a rabies positive bat
seven injections initially and several followup injections over the next few weeks
>>
>the usual ring worms, pinworms, lice

I almost did get skewered once when I was like 10 by a tree broken tree branch. Fucker was at least 4 in in diameter.

Now thinking about it I've been pretty lucky considering how much stupid shit I do innawoods.
>>
File: 0612200801145345.jpg (39KB, 708x435px) Image search: [Google]
0612200801145345.jpg
39KB, 708x435px
I've told this story before on /out/ but i'll tell it again. Had a 3 day weekend a few years ago, and decided to go camping at my spot, about 8 miles from my vehicle. I got there friday evening, and decided to go for a swim after I got my tent setup and split a little wood. When I was in the water I cut my foot a bit on something sharp, but it wasn't too deep and I went on with my night and forgot about it.

When I woke up the next morning my foot was throbbing, and I felt feverish and weak. Walking was totally impossible. My entire foot was swollen and I couldn't get my boot on, and I had a red line going from my ankle towards my knee. It was super hot that day and I ended up laying in my tent with the zipper open, covered in bugs while alternating between shivering and sweating buckets.

I don't even remember much of Sunday, and when I woke up the next day the abscess on my foot had burst, leaking a massive amount of puss all over my tent floor. The smell was incredible, but the pain in my foot was not as bad. I was so thirsty I drank right from the stream, managed to get on my boot and hiked out of there leaving my tent and most of my gear there. It took me 6 hours to get to my truck, as I was still weak as hell and had to stop and sit down every few hundred yards. I ended up driving to a hospital where I was treated for the infection and dehydration.
>>
>>1024949
Do you wear water shoes now?
>>
>>1025001
No, I just don't camp alone.
>>
>>1025006
You bring people along to prevent Darwin's award?
>>
>>1023361
I once went hiking in Mexico and got the Montezuma's Revenge. It was a day hike, so I figure it was just from being in Mexico, not from anything specifically related to hiking.

Last time I was dumb enough to eat shorts in the woods, I got bitten up so bad by mosquitoes and stuff that at a normal checkup a little while later, the doctor thought I had a scary virus until I told him what happened.

I've had swimmer's itch, too.

Other than that kind of stuff, I've never really had anything impressive.
>>
File: towerfall.png (31KB, 490x776px) Image search: [Google]
towerfall.png
31KB, 490x776px
I posted this ages ago but it's still a good'un

>be about 12
>every day after school going out into the woods to work on fort
>fort complex includes ~30' high tower made from trees I cut
>climb up the tower hammering-in diagonal supports as I go
>near the top securing last of the branch supports, standing on branches i hammered in along the way
>branch i'm standing on pops loose
>i fall straight down through the center of the tower
>head face and limbs barely miss all the crossbeam supports as fall
>land on ground bellyflop style with one leg under me
>barely miss like 3 short stumps that are only about 2" wide (could have been impaled on them)
>legs and pelvis busted up
>vomit
>crawl home through the forest dragging myself with hands and one leg
>get in tub and try to recover before parents get home from work
>recover enough, leg has never been the same since
>>
>>1025102
Was it 3 feet high and you are just a big baby or did you imagine the whole thing?
>>
File: tauer.jpg (445KB, 1816x2000px) Image search: [Google]
tauer.jpg
445KB, 1816x2000px
>>1025104
It was tall anon, at least 5x my height. I have a VHS tape somewhere with some footage of it that maybe I'll try to find someday. I built it lying on the ground and then raised it with the help of a couple friends. Pic related.
>>
>>1024936
Howd your dumb ass manage that
>>
>>1025098
>Last time I was dumb enough to eat shorts in the woods
>dumb enough to eat shorts in the woods
>eat shorts in the woods
>eat shorts
Don't do that, anon. It'll make you even more of a potato than you are now.
>>
Hit my foot with an ax chopping wood. Got real lucky, only made like an inch or so hole in my foot
>>
>>1024949
you had some hardcore septicemia
you must have cut your foot on some sharpened feces
>>
>>1024949
Did the hospital say specifically what you had? Or was it just general bacteria shit
>>
>>1025600
God damn it. I meant to say "wear," but autocorrect fucked it up.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.