[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long is too long when considering a coat/jacket for /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

File: Sandringham Black4.jpg (136KB, 488x866px) Image search: [Google]
Sandringham Black4.jpg
136KB, 488x866px
How long is too long when considering a coat/jacket for /out/?
>>
I have a surplus swiss wool trenchcoat. Fuck the haters.

/Fa/gs probably wear skinny jeans
>>
Anything beyond the knees is too long for my liking, though I guess it really depends on your uses. A longer coat would be ideal for sitting on wet stuff, but would get in the way of anything involving bending over.
>>
File: 1495465374924.jpg (508KB, 1296x862px) Image search: [Google]
1495465374924.jpg
508KB, 1296x862px
Ever worn a capote? Wear it down to your mid calf if you want. Capotes are fucking comfy. You do you anon
>>
>>1023301
where'd you get your surplus trench? I've been poking around and it seems like most of them are stupid expensive. Sportsman'sGuide and KeepShooting seem to have the best deals as far as I can tell.
>>
>>1023293
Can you define "/out/"? What you posted appears to be a duster coat. Dusters were worn in the old days when people rode horses to get around (instead of driving cars) and didn't want to get dust or rain on their nice indoor clothes. It would be the equivalent of a modern day motorcycle jacket, useful for a certain people who do a very specific activity, but not really ideal for anything else. Dusters are not fully waterproof (usually just oiled cotton) and they tend not to be very warm either (people didn't want to get too sweaty while riding under the sun).

Does your concept of "/out/" involve horseback riding to different places where you need to arrive in presentable clothing? If not, you may not find much real utility in such a garment, aside from making a /fa/shion statement. There's nothing wrong with being fashionable, but is fashion your main priority? If so, you should clarify that it is so people can recommend you something that you might like.

I think most modern outdoor activities probably DO NOT benefit from the addition of extra length to a coat. Long coats snag on things (ex., while hiking); they get in the way of your mobility (ex., mountain biking, trail running, climbing); and although long coats can add a bit of warmth, they don't replace insulated or water-resistant pants completely so you'll usually need both, and the longer coat is just going to be bulkier and heavier to pack away when you're not using it, especially if it's insulated.
>>
File: 1429315112867.png (166KB, 760x600px) Image search: [Google]
1429315112867.png
166KB, 760x600px
>>1023293
If you take too long to consider it someone will have bought it before you can!
>>
>>1023413
I see what youre saying anon but why cowboys wore the shit out of dusters and would spend weeks away from towns. Also most armies equiped their troops with long coats for centuries so there's must be some practicality for being out? I mean trench coats were borne of some pretty extreme situations in WWI and were popular after the war.
>>
>>1023423
>anon says why they're good for horse riding
>anon 2 says why did ppl who ride horses wear them tho
Wtf
>>
>>1023429
No.
>First anon says dusters are for polite in-town horse riding, when people didn't have cars and shit. They were essentially aprons or smocks that would keep your nice clothes clean.
>First anon goes on to state that long coats don't have a place outdoors.
>Second anon (me) claims they were used by very arguably out guys historically.
>Second anon (me) also included evidence that long coats were used for out activities even when not riding horses.
>We are having a debate about a certain topic.
And your drunk ass decides to skim a sentence or two and make a comment. Fuck off.
>>
>>1023423

This is why I asked how you define "/out/." Please clarify.

Do you intend to ride horses and for some reason you don't want to wear fully waterproof rain gear? Do you just need to keep dust off your clothing while riding horses and don't care about waterproofness?

Do you intend to participate in some sort of war reenactment, or is there some other reason why you need to ignore the advances in textile technology of the past 100 years?

Because you're not being very helpful to the other people in this thread trying to help you. If you just want to make a fashion statement, that's fine, but say so, so we can help you in that direction. If there's a reason why you only want to use materials and technology from 100 years ago, then please say so, and people will give you great recommendations. We can't read your mind.
>>
File: ROBSETAQUA2XL.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ROBSETAQUA2XL.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>1023317
nigga, that's a robe
>>
>>1023437
Can you just politely fuck off to /fa/?

>b-but muh assertions
>b-but muh hard evidence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duster_(clothing)

Educate yourself, you dumb fucking shit.
>>
>>1023437
>try to help a guy, ask him for clarification so I can give the best answer
>he doesn't clarify, instead comes back at me being argumentative trying to start some big thing

FOR FUCK SAKE. GOD DAMMIT, DUDE.
>>
>>1023438
I dunno dude. Seems like you were making some pretty broad claims. I was just pointing out that people wore long coats for things other than horseback riding.

I agree that it would look kinda autistic, and I agree that there's much better shit out there now days, but I was just trying to discuss.

>>1023441
why don't you read anything? Even the wikipedia article states that it was what most Texas Rangers wore. The guys who rode all over the state staying out for weeks at a time? Why don't you read the arguments we were making? You just stumbled in here and started making an ass of yourself. Get off the internet, sober up and read more.
>>
>>1023454
>STOP MAKING CLAIMS
>STOP TRIGGERING ME

This isn't a thread about the fucking uses of the duster coat. This is a very selfish clothing recommendation thread which belongs on /r/ or /fa/. I've asked you twice now to clarify your use for the coat, and both times you've ignored the question. I'm done with you. I'm not going to help you anymore, and I don't think anybody else will either, if your thread doesn't get deleted for being off-topic and belonging in /r/.
>>
>>1023469
I'm not the same anon who started this thread. But when I was poking around and saw your bullshit claim that dusters were essentially equestrian bibs for fancy clothes, I decided to call you out.

So far I've given you a reasonable argument- that dusters, and long coats in general were used by many people historically for out purposes. All you do is scream and cry. If you were an adult about this, you would either discuss your side calmly or you would concede the argument.

Instead you get salty, insist that this thread is miscategorized. You get angry and whine that the question wasn't clear.
>We're talking about clothing for use while outdoors. It's not miscategorized.
>You made a bad assumption, and I called you out on it. Grow up.
>>
File: 93294dc373266081226f78187e51c0b7.jpg (114KB, 564x1126px) Image search: [Google]
93294dc373266081226f78187e51c0b7.jpg
114KB, 564x1126px
>>1023301
>>1023352
You're probably meaning a greatcoat.
>>1023423
Dusters are not trenchcoats are not greatcoats. Dusters are riding coats against dust and rain; trenchcoats are infantry coats against rain. Both are made from rather thin fabric: oilskin or canvas for dusters, gabardine from various materials for trench coats. Greatcoats are for warmth (and somewhat water repellent) and made from thick wool.
>>1023413
>Long coats snag on things
Not unless you walk through thick brush.
>they get in the way of your mobility (ex., mountain biking, trail running, climbing
True.
>they don't replace insulated or water-resistant pants completely so you'll usually need both
Depends. You might want these for real extremes, but that's not what everyone deals with. A coat is also more breathable and adjustable. For example, walking with a coat will allow air exchange around the legs and give you less insulation than standing, so you've got a bit of automatic adjustment for your warmth.

Either way, there's good reasons people used coats historically and I'd prefer if it was still common and acceptable for men to wear them, they provide simple and comfy warmth especially for the legs. Women (who have both different fashion and are usually colder) still wear them. And there's no reason not to make a coat from modern fabrics.
>>
>>1023293
cold air sinks, I really don't see the point unless there are horses/quad bikes involved or you are planning on working in the rain on your knees
>>
>>1023440
A comfy ass wool robe though
>>
>>1023317
Post yours.
>>
>>1023619

>Either way, there's good reasons people used coats historically and I'd prefer if it was still common and acceptable for men to wear them, they provide simple and comfy warmth especially for the legs.

Another item in that category is cloaks.

https://youtu.be/yN8cYd3poIk
>>
>>1023623
Have you never worn wool socks and boots?

Plus, even with cold air sinking, only about 15% of your body is exposed (even less if you're wearing gloves and a mask) so you'll still feel hot as fuck.
>>
File: snowdrover.jpg (172KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
snowdrover.jpg
172KB, 1600x1200px
>>1023293
When I did lots of fence work, in bad weather for farms, I wore one of these (long, black, oilskin drover with wool liner.) It was great as a wind breaker, kept me dry, and prevented brambles, thorns, and barbed wire from getting through.

>reposted pic from 14 years ago
>>
File: 112907m2_ts.jpg (61KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
112907m2_ts.jpg
61KB, 1155x1155px
>>1023646
>>
>>1023650
Spooky
>>
File: Dark-City-Main.jpg (125KB, 970x623px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-City-Main.jpg
125KB, 970x623px
>>1023670
>>
>>1023637
I often overheat in a raincoat, even if I'm just n the garden weeding
>>
I feel mid thigh is a good length
>>
>>1023352
I bought it locally. Theres a huge surp store here. Not sure if they have anymore as this was last year

>>1023619
>You're probably meaning a greatcoat.
Literally the same thing. Trenchcoat evolved from the greatcoat and theres no reliable definition
>>
>>1023633
Which are notably also still worn by women.
Also, comparing jackets to coats to cloaks, they're even more versatile, even more of a hassle (and even heavier). Kind of a carry-around blanket back in the days. Plus without real waterproof fabrics, the best way to protect yourself from rain is more wool layers.
>>1023791
I just gave you a definition.
>>
>>1023931
>Which are notably also still worn by women.

I've never seen a chick in a cloak, on any of my /out/ings.
>>
>>1023979
not same dude, but all you gotta do is work with women ~50-60 years old. First day below 50°F and it's fucking ponchos, cloaks, & capefest 7k.
>>
>>1023991
I dunno where you're at, but the old ladies here just wear coats, scarves and carry around blankets.
>>
>>1023999
This + $5 plastic ponchos in the rain.
>>
>>1023979
>>1023999
Point is, it's still an acceptable fashion piece (more capes than cloaks usually, but still). Of course they don't wear cloaks /out/ because, as I said, their function has become obsolete.
>>
>>1024017
Again, where are you, that you have women prancing about in capes?

The most they'll have here is a knee length pea coat.
>>
>>1024027
Germany. My mom has one.
It's not exactly common but it happens and the women aren't considered autistic for it. It's just another fashion piece to them.
>>
>>1024032
Ah, here in the US of A, barely anyone wears shit that dangles past their thighs.

Although, when /out/ no one gives a crap about fashion, as long as you aren't visibly dying. Like shorts and a tanktop in a blizzard, or skipants in a heatwave.
>>
File: clint-eastwood.jpg (337KB, 1024x793px) Image search: [Google]
clint-eastwood.jpg
337KB, 1024x793px
>>1023991
I'm this anon
>>1023999
>>1024037
You can find it here in the US. All you gotta do is work in a non-profit community center.
-Only white male there under 55, ruthlessly hit on by the menopausal overweight hambeasts both sides of the desk.
-Make bullshit money, just trying to get experience to get into a good program
>Hey at least I can wear a poncho to work if I want to.
>>
This thread is cancer and belongs in /fa/.
>>
>>1023673
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.