[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of going medieval and replacing my sleep system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 677.png (413KB, 844x345px) Image search: [Google]
677.png
413KB, 844x345px
I'm thinking of going medieval and replacing my sleep system with a regular wool blanket and a bed sack. The wool blanket would be heavy and it would take a long time to find enough grass to fill the bed sack, and I'm still not entirely sure what I should use to make that sack. I would also need to bring a tarp but other than that it seems like it could be pretty fun to try out. What do you think?
>>
Why the fuck would anyone ever do this?
>>
>>1023099
I do this, mainly for the advantages in durability, especially when you sleep outside day in and day out for years at a time
>>
>>1023093
reenactors and history buffs tend to use wool blanket systems, but they will also tell you to not be stupid and try to use them in freezing conditions. learn the tenets of heat conservation
>>
File: sherpa.jpg (32KB, 410x287px) Image search: [Google]
sherpa.jpg
32KB, 410x287px
>>1023093
Getting a thick enough wool blanket is expensive. You'll prolly be better off with two or three thin/shit blankets sewn together.

A "bed sack" if fucking retarded. It would take you forever, it wouldn't be comfortable, you'd probly have a ton of bugs on you, if it is raining you're fucked, if it's winter and there's no grass, your're fucked, if you go someplace without much vegetation your'e fucked
>so many ways you could be fucked by trying to use a "bed sack"
not to mention destruction to the environment for no good reason, weird looks from other people out, trouble from rangers/landowners/police
>but sir, imma tryin' to reproduce the ancient lifeways of muh ancustursss

I've heard of using a thick wool blanket as a sleep pad. That's the way they used to do it. I don't think it worked well.

I have thought about using a tatami or some sort of bamboo mat because it is relatively lightweight, would keep you off the ground and could be relatively comfortable if made/used correctly. I feel like it'd work because the closed capillaries in the bamboo would be decent at insulating you from the ground.
>>
>>1023099
LARPing and cosplay is very popular on this board
>>
File: YOU MAY HAVE MY SWORD.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
YOU MAY HAVE MY SWORD.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
I carry a fairly thin wool blanket along with my sleeping bag. It'll turn it from a 0C to a -5C bag in my experience. The main reason I carry it is so that I can sleep by a fire without having to worry about sparks burning holes in my sleeping bag, plus wool keeps most of it's insulative value when wet. It also doubles as LOTR cosplay/cloak if it gets nippy.
>>
>>1023093
Wool is extremely heavy and not really all that warm. Plus it stinks. The primary advantage is that you can sleep right next to a fire (which isn't safe anyway) without worrying about your bag melting. Of course, you wouldn't need that fire if you were using proper gear anyway, so that's kind of a moot point.
>>
>>1025109
>it stinks

you wat m8. wool has natural anti-bacterial properties and smells LESS than cotton and WAY LESS than synthetics.

>which isn't safe anyway

okay now I definitely know you're a moron
>>
>>1025112
You want to keep a fire going while you're asleep, go for it, it's no skin off my dick. But you'll be the one getting a ticket for having an unmonitored fire and risking starting a forest fire.
>>
>>1025112
yeah, I agree with you dude. Wool is good. There's a reason boutique ultralight companies still use the shit. I prefer the coarser scratchier shit, I love the feeling of it- kinda like eating spicy food.

>>1025117
Lol.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.