[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

budget/cheapo gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

File: 2448-hr1.jpg (590KB, 1500x1500px)
2448-hr1.jpg
590KB, 1500x1500px
What gear do you have that's cheap, free, or unconventional way to save on cost, weight, etc.?

>pic related for $20
>mora
>restored free boy's axe
>cheap ebay firesteel
>seltzer bottle instead of nalgene

>inb4 knowledge
>>
>>1022243
Milsurp and slavshit. Also have a mom that loves you and gets /out/ shit for your birthday even though you're 25.
>>
>>1022243
Milsurp pants are usually pretty good on comfort and durability, although a lot of them are heavy. US summer BDU's are pretty awesome tho, 65/35 or 60/40 ripstop nyco depending on how old they are (anything after 1991 was grid ripstop and 65/35, anything before was "ripstop" and 60/40), available in sizes to fit pretty much any human to ever exist, can be had in meh condition for like $1-2 a pair routinely at places like Goodwill and Salvation Army or under $20 in lightly-used condition on the various milsurp websites. Still cloned by a half a hundred companies, new production shit can be had in any camo and color you can imagine, including pink urban camo.

The USMC assault pack is fucking awesome as well if you can stomach the camo pattern. It and the USMC ruck are made by Arc'teryx. They're extremely high quality. Can get the assault pack, which is ~35L, for around $60 most places in either unissued or excellent condition through places like ebay or the sportsman's guide, or if you live even remotely close to a Marine base check the pawn shops. Avoid the full ruck, it's cut specifically to work well with body armor and feels weird as shit without it.

I would avoid most other milsurp, it's cheap and usually durable at the cost of being heavier than 3 fucks.

Reusing commercial water bottles is a good idea too. Some of them are pretty fucking sturdy, like Smartwater and Fiji. They're all BPA-free.

If you have an even kinda-sorta /out/ job try to hook yourself up with pro deals or Experticity to get humongous discounts on /out/ shit. Discounts run 35-70%.

Check your local thrift stores/Goodwill/Salvation Army for shit. You'd be amazed at some of the stuff they have tucked into a corner, and you can usually get big-brand /out/ clothing for a couple bucks.
>tfw scoring an Arc'teryx Alpha jacket that looked pristine for $18 at Goodwill
>>
>>1022243
I like thread.

USGI sleep system is a good way to get lightweight bags and a bivy for pretty cheep.

Amazon has a bunch of good and cheap ponchos.

Never buy hiking meals. Pasta Sides, Instant Mashed Taters and ramen are the way to go. Jerky, tuna packs, and lotsa granola are way better and easier to use.

Fed-Ex envelopes are tyvek and can be used as decent dry sacks. I usually bring one or two for food. After a few trips they get pretty nasty, so toss and repeat.
>>
I'm looking for a pair of boots/shoes. Any recommendations? Cheep would be good.
>>
File: 10046287.jpg (134KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
10046287.jpg
134KB, 640x640px
>>1022813
here ya go.
>>
>>1022728
I second the USGI sleep system.

I just picked up the green patrol bag used but great condtion on amazon for $18. Its probably the greatest deal of all deals. The intermediate bag goes for around $30 and the bivy $35. I've used the newer sleep system innarmy and while its not the greatest in terms of moisture, its a damn good sleep system.
>>
>>1022813
If theres one thing not to cheap out on its boots. Find what is comfortable to you. I'm not a fan of heels and tight toe boxes so I go the minimalistic approach which can be pretty expensive, but find something that fits your budget that will last a long time.
>>
File: BagBagBagBag.jpg (46KB, 584x410px) Image search: [Google]
BagBagBagBag.jpg
46KB, 584x410px
>>1023473
Nice dude. Welcome to the club.
>>
>>1023351
WHATTHEFUCK
>>
File: grandma-gatewood.jpg (225KB, 550x784px) Image search: [Google]
grandma-gatewood.jpg
225KB, 550x784px
Fucking pansies.

Also,
>needing a firesteel

Heterosexual alternative: two small bic's and a few matches with heads covered in wax.

One on beltkit, one in pack, matches in rectal concealment device.
>>
I bought surplus swiss leather gaiters to help protect me from fuckin taipans
>>
>>1022243
to be honest buying used gear seems like the best way to go by far

instead of buying cheap shit, just look for one of the hundreds of expensive pieces of equipment someone bought for one trip then left to become a shed ornament
these people often have more money then sense, so aren't actively trying to sell the gear

flint and steels are stupid primitive ways to make fire, because you have to fuck around using them, and getting tinder when with a cigarette lighter you can light small sticks directly
yes they are kind of unreliable and lack durability, but as they are virtually weightless just bring a few
if you want to be really anal store a few spare flints for one in a bag or something

ponchos are really cheap, light and usefull under a variety of conditions
they are perfect for collecting rainwater, and can easily be fitted around a tree branch to sweat water from the leaves
word of caution though, get a good poncho
when you are only spending 3$ getting one, it's worth an extra 2$ to get a better quality one

it's nice to have a jacket that is warm AND waterproof because they tend to breath better then a plastic poncho over a un-waterproof coat; but that being said the difference isn't huge

the best milsurp gear is the mundane, wicking undershirts are fantastic, socks, field jackets, mess kits
leave the bayonets and MOLLE for the cosplayers

if cold weather isn't a huge issue, get your own sleeping mat cut at a pool supplies store or somewhere like that

might not count but a dehydrator/ shrink wrapper can be bought very cheaply; and provides you with infinite dirt cheap meals
I buy masses of seasonal fruit and dry it for the whole year, you can sometimes buy nuts cheaply in larger quantities

crocks are good camp shoes because they fit well over hiking socks, and double well as water shoes

>>1023474
this

your boots are yours for life, if you can re-sole them they are a worthy investment
>>
>>1023579
Can anyone actually sell me on firesteels? I could see having one around just in case, but two bics and maybe some cottonballs/vasoline just seem lighter (hue) and more likely to get 99% of your fires started. We went camping recently, I forgot my matches but my friend had a firesteel. Couldn't start a fire until I got some spray onto the fire. In his defence the kindling was dampish but still firesteels just seem meme as fuck to me now.
>>
>>1023652
They're a great thing to keep around a hunting/fishing cabin but pretty shit to carry. There's literally no reason to pack one over a second and third butane lighter for backpacking.
>>
>>1022479
shipping costs on slavshit in the US can make it unfeasible. US milsurp is simply expensive.
>>
>>1023652
I keep one around for emergencies, and that's really it.

my primary fire starter is bics. I carry 3.
my backup is storm proof matches.
firesteel is only there for the scant and crazy possibility of "oh shit im lost in the woods for 6 months".

your issue with finding tinder can be solved by simply carrying toilet paper and making prison wicks. they light pretty easily and have a shape conductive to using a fire steel.
>>
Backpacks are one item you don't want to go cheap on. I bought a $100 Maxpedition Condor-II last year and even on that one of the straps tore off recently. Had to sew it back on which was a chore. You don't want that happening on a hike.
>>
>>1023678
>simply carrying toilet paper

Or carry birch bark in a plastic baggy, better than anything you can make at home or buy cheap.
>>
>>1023681
>BBBBbbut it said "hard use gear"
>>
>>1023676
US shipping is extortionate period.
when I mail to the US I post to a moving house in the US, and they forward it privately overseas

*free market* my ass
>>
>>1023683
TP is more multipurpose. i would rather wipe my ass with that than birch bark. you can't bathe with birch bark either.
>>
>>1023579
>rectal concealment device
kek, you got me there anon.
>>
>>1023618
I like all that you said anon.

Haven't heard about getting a mat cut at a pool supply store tho- care to explain?
>>
>>1023681
I mostly agree with you anon. If you are willing to pack super light/minimal you can get away with something cheap and small. I guess what I'm saying is Jansport school bags are relatively cheap and if you can fit your shit in that and it's under 30lbs go for it. All in all tho, I've had a two backpacks fuck up on me while out and it's terrible, so don't cheap out 99/100
>>
File: bowl.jpg (104KB, 910x615px) Image search: [Google]
bowl.jpg
104KB, 910x615px
>tfw paid full price 2 days ago
FUUUUUCK!
>>
>>1023351

I wanted a pair to try out, but not at that price point. Good lord.
>>
>>1026340
Don't most credit card companies pay you the difference if something you buy drops in price less than 30 days after the purchase? You could buy a matching cup then too
>>
>>1026340
Just a bowl? For what purpose?
>>
>>1027052
you're asking what you do with a bowl...?
>>
File: burner.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
burner.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
Prob the best piece of gear I "Bought" used a amazon giftcard I won for free and bought this burner. Probably used it about 100 times and never failed. Etekcity has some hidden gems.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Ignition/dp/B00B4FY8YO
>>
For cheap, waterproof bags, put your stuff in trash compactor bags. They are essentially heavy duty garbage bags. They are way cheaper than expensive, name brand waterproof stuff sacks. I mainly use them to store my sleeping bag, and as a pack cover.
>>
>>1027052
to shit in when it's too cold to leave my tent
>>
Goodwill ma dude, check it out every other week or so. Wool commando sweaters for a dollar, and a bunch if camping gear most people don't know what it is if its complete or what its for.

Pic related found it last week, now I have a decent way to take my stuff when I hike or camp other than a large drag bag.
>>
File: 14962008891641439792880.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
14962008891641439792880.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1027437
$3.99 at goodwill, read someone mention jansport stuff ripping. It doesn't seem very thick but I'll take some patches and a small sewing kit and shit to make some on the fly repairs if needed. Still not bad.

Sorry about pic orientation, posting on mobile.
>>
>>1023579
Oh shit my sides!!
>>
File: MODEL_TERLAN_HINTEN.jpg (172KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MODEL_TERLAN_HINTEN.jpg
172KB, 500x500px
>>1027437
>>1027440
this second hand stuff is great! if you in a big city check for stores in the rich areas of town.
you get great gear a few season old. and very often fantastic wool products if you are into that.

>>1022243
also in my country work clothes are very cheap and often very durable and made from good material. they have many pockets and extra layers or stretch where it counts. some times they are modular, or at least have a set for every season. the is look ok but have a very distinct worker look.
>pic related
>>
>>1023652
At altitude theyre the only thing that work
I use a lighter when im not uppamountain tho
>>
>>1022243
Everything from Canadian Tire
>>
>>1028504
Reverse image search gave me Ivan speak.
Do you mind listing a few brands of these excellent pants you're talking about? I might wanna buy a pair.
>>
>>1028531
>Canadian Tire
I just looked this up and is very nice. How does it compare with Harbor Freight?

Also, Harbor Freight is a good place to get good cheap shit for /out/
>>
>>1028617
im German so it might be very different to what you can find or whats on sale in your region.

the picture i used is the "Arbeitshose Terlan" 2015 model for 32€ or so.

this the 2017 model from google is found here i think.
>http://www.et-eurotools.de/cms/index.php/hosen-m/bundhose-terlan.html

you can find many different brands in many online shops or hardware stores.
you can filter it a bit by profession. fore example carpenter stuff has more lops and might have ripstop chainsaw stop fibers. deliver guy stuff will have summer vent or rain protection and less pockets. and light reflective bands. metal worker stuff will be more fire retardant.

check the material listed before you buy, i often take stuff thats poly cotton with elastan.
as full cotton is trash for wet and cold. and not everything is good for the outdoors.

often check the local store as quality might differ massively from brand to brand and the might have seasonal sales or a cheap house brand.
>pic related is at my local store for 59€ so i might get them as winter pants.

the only names i remember are engelbert-strauss and Pionier. but from what i have seen 95% are very often similar or same stuff. often just a re-brand /private brand.

or just check work oriented stores i find with google.
>http://www.kraehe.de/Arbeitskleidung/Hosen/Bundhosen/
>>
File: IMG_0618.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0618.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>1028618
>recommending Hazard Fraught tools
>>
>>1028709
never said tools bub. go fuk urself
>>
>>1028695
I appreciate the detailed post anon! I need to see if they ship to the youessayyy, but this is a great start : ) Danke!
>>
I got one of those "handed made in Nepal" type wool sweaters from this site before for like $50 CAD. Some of the other stuff looks okay, finding a good size is difficult.

https://www.liveoutthere.com/
>>
>>1022243
The holy grail of cheap-o gear
Mountain Warehouse

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/us/

Also: I have a 65L pack that I bough at Aldi (the grocery store) for $25 and it works great.
>>
>>1030019
You can find some mental bargains at mountain warehouse, i got a 150g windshwll for like 30 quid, but in general its all cheap for a reason
/spoiler/ its shit /spoiler/
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.