[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Montana/Idaho/Wyoming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Best outdoor areas in Montana/Idaho/Wyoming?

I'm passing through this area for about a week and I want to see the best this area has to offer
>>
>>1021940
Rocky mountain front. Really any of the national parks in the areas. Idaho has nice natural hot springs if you like that
>>
I don't know what you mean by "outdoor areas."
>>
>>1021940
Yellowstone is obvious, although since it's past Memorial Day it'll be you and about 300 billion other people there even on weekdays.

Otherwise for Wyoming you have Jackson Hole, the Bighorn National Forest, the general Cheyenne area, Laramie, Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest, and a few other places.
>>
>>1021940
Yellowstone, Tetons, Idaho has some nice lava field hikes, you might even be able to hit salt like or parts of Utah like the Moab and arches. Big island in the sky, etc. Can't go wrong passing through there.
>>
>>1022049
Early June is not prime Yellowstone season. It will still be cold there and snow will be on the ground in places.
>>
>>1022064
I go to a trade convention the second week of June in Cody, and stay through the 4th of July every year.

Yellowstone is fucking PACKED the entire time I'm there. Like, east gate has hour-long lines to get in, bikepackers and bike tourers shit up the roads with 30-50 bike convoys, and Cody is full of fat middle-aged couples with their dozens of screaming children. School let out either today or late last week pretty much nationwide so everybody's taking vacations places.
>b-but that's not now!
It's in 2 weeks, close enough.
>>
File: Idaho enlarged.jpg (174KB, 1659x792px) Image search: [Google]
Idaho enlarged.jpg
174KB, 1659x792px
>>1021940
Idaho fag here. Where you gonna be at? If around Boise you have the Boise Nat. Forest and Sawtooth Nat. Forest right there. It will be packed during memorial day weekend though. There are of course alot of hot springs throughout the state which is nice. If you want a detour go to Craters of the Moon. Its an active volcano site and its pretty cool with all the igneous rocks. If you want to rock climb look into City of the Rocks which i cool. There is also the Bruno Sand Dunes which is fun but it gets windy af and dont swim in the water, it will give you swimmers itch. For Fishing you can try the Boise and Snake river as well as Lucky Peak, Anderson Ranch, Arrowrock, or CJ Strike. All of those are Resivours of lakes. CJ strike has the best fishing if you ask me although its a bit out there and it helps to have a boat. Also going into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is fucking awesome. There are alot of mountaineering hikes there including Mount Borah (Idahos Largest Peak). So in general Idaho is pretty good
>>
>>1021940
Glacier, Bob Marshall, Absaroka/Beartooth for Montana
The Pintlers are nice too and pretty much unknown to tourists
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-25-16-15-24.png (142KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-25-16-15-24.png
142KB, 1080x1920px
>>
Thanks for the suggestions people

>>1022980
I'm driving down from Alberta to Yellowstone. I have 9 days to do it so my schedule can be pretty flexible. Thanks for the suggestions!
>>
>>1024583
So, if you take US 89 from the border, you'll get the rocky mountain front, then lewis and clark national forest, then the crazy mountains ending in paradise valley. you can also do 89->287, and stick closer to the rocky mountain front. there is great camping, dayhiking, fishing, and some dinosaur digs along the way. at this time of year it'll be pretty barren of tourists. outside of augusta you can drive up to gibson reservoir which has a few campgrounds and trailheads. this part of the state has huge upthrust ridges and valleys and some of the trails are basically endless pleasure walks along a ridge with crazy views. also if you stop in great falls there's a bar with girls in mermaid costumes swimming in a giant tank...if thats your jive...
>>
>>1024634
Great ideas, thanks anon!
>>
>>1022980
Thinking about moving out to Idaho from the east coast, Looking for hiking and dirtbike trails that never end. Got any more tips?
>>
File: DSC_0198.jpg (1MB, 1800x1205px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0198.jpg
1MB, 1800x1205px
I spent a week in the area last summer, I have a truck camping setup though so my options won't work if you're just in a passenger car and planning on staying in hotels. In Idaho there's some nice areas outside of Sun Valley, heading directly East out of town there's a dirt road with great dispersed camping. Northwest of there there's a big network of very rural areas/dirt roads around Atlanta. Montana you can't go wrong around Glacier and the surrounding wildnerness areas. I dispersed camped right outside the park to the NW near the Canadian border.
>>
>>1026517
Nice. North Fork country is my happy place
>>
File: Loon_lake_6172L.jpg (269KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Loon_lake_6172L.jpg
269KB, 1200x800px
>>1026471
Boise is probably gonna be your best bet then. For hiking go into the Sawtooth Nat Forest and Boise Nat Forest which then leapfrogs into multiple other Nat Forests (look at google maps). That is for hiking at least. For dirt biking the Boise Foothills will be great for you. There are hundreds of trails that go throughout the foothills. On top of that you can dirt bike most trails in the National Forests.
>>
>>1024583
Yea. If you go from Boise to MT or the other way around, dont take I-15, do the way through the desert through Arco via US-20. That way you will be able to Craters of the Moon.
>>
>>1027363

The part through Silver Creek is beautiful as well. If you have an extra half day have lunch in Ketchum head north to Stanley and then west towards boise
>>
>>1027488
This
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.