[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar Panel Chargers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 719ZiSTOhvL._SL1500_.jpg (238KB, 1500x1224px) Image search: [Google]
719ZiSTOhvL._SL1500_.jpg
238KB, 1500x1224px
Anyone have experience with these?

What brands do you recommend?
>>
Now that we have a gear thread you should use that
>>
>>1021444
Not that anon but fuck off? /out/ is a slow board and solar panels isn't exactly a typical gear question...
>>
>>1021451
Stupid gear threads with disposable questions like yours take up space that otherwise could have been used for quality discussion.
It's not even sn /out/ related subject anyway.
Either google it, or fuck off.
>>
>>1021464
A sc/out/ asking others about their experiences using a product specifically designed to be used while /out/... is not an /out/ related subject? Fucking hell mate you are hitting levels of retard I didn't know were possible.

>>1021241
No experience with foldable jobs. I'm also curious about how well they hold up.
>>
>>1021451
It's possible to ask in existing threads.
A thread died for that bullshit, you faggot.
Calling the police.
>>
>>1021451
typical or not it's still gear

put it there
>>
>>1021464
just because you shit all over the thread doesnt make it a quality thread.

The gear thread is basically, lets talk about common shit like bags and trousers and ignore any specific questions asked.

To be fair OPs content is pretty poor but all you weak ass faggots bitching about content, what, we probably lost one of the four knife threads currently going, or maybe one of the other REREREREPEAT topics, such as train hopping, hobo'ing, skinwalker, or whatever
>>
>>1021473
Well I've called the cyber police.

Better prepare faggot cause the consequences will never be the same.
>>
>>1021541
>The gear thread is basically, lets talk about common shit like bags and trousers and ignore any specific questions asked.
What makes you think people won't ignore this thread?
>>
I'm interested, bumping
>>
I use an Anker 14w. It has 3 panels. Works great.
>>
Sorry, 21w.
>>
File: ....jpg (50KB, 413x449px) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
50KB, 413x449px
>>1021464
Shut your suckhole, fagsterino. It smells of semen.

Seriously, get a load of this guy.

As for anon, i bought two solar cells, will post the useable and light one later.
>>
>>1022129
As an upstanding gayfag member of this board and /out/ culture in general, pls don't associate my sexuality or my occasional semenbreath with that insufferable faggot. Thanks anon.
>>
They're shitty because anywhere worthwhile going /out/ is full of woods and tree cover. Just get one of those rechargeable battery packs.
>>
>>1021241
one of the main reasons why i so rarely lurk on this site is the over the top arrogance of many of the posters here.
i probably wouldn't use one of these myself, but had a close friend asking my opinion about this.
he knew i have plenty of /out/door experience, and had discovered mixed opinions regarding these while researching them.
so here i am thinking i might learn something myself and what do i find?
a bunch of primadonnas bickering over over nothing of importance.
thanks for the help.
>>
>>1022270
yeah pretty much. a contentless thread.

as to the topic, I think choice would depend on length of trips, if you're <3 days you might be better off with a power pack, obviously electronic needs and season dependant also, with weight of a panel vs power pack also a factor.

Personally the only electronics I have inna with me are a fuji camera (3 spare batteries) and my Zebralight (1 spare 18650).
>>
>>1021241

I don't have one either. I've seen very mixed reviews and these seem like more marketing than practical right now.

Anybody actually have experience using one?

I will say that the little folding cell battery boosters with the panels built in are more about getting a few extra hours out of a battery that you pre-charged off house current than about the sun providing continuous charging.
>>
>>1022520
I bought a GoalZero, whichever their 3-panel/1000mAh deal was, when they first came out.

It was barely enough to keep a Garmin Etrex charged through sporadic use in an extremely sunny environment (New Mexico) in summer when I was getting 15+ hours of sun with it strapped to the outside top of my pack. It also broke in 2 years of modest use (still in warranty period) and I got a partial refund instead of getting it fixed/replaced.

Now, I know photovoltaic technology has come a fair ways since Goal Zero first produced something (I don't even remember how many years ago that was) and while 1000mAh was huge capacity back then it's pissing in a hurricane now, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed. There's no way in fuck the one I had would even keep a small and efficient flip phone charged under light use. Unless there's been drastic improvement, you'd be better off humping around a 10kmAh battery block, that's at least around 4 full recharges of most smartphones (which seem to hover in the 2000-2400mAh range).

Sorry my info isn't current.
>>
>>1022640

First helpful post in thread, you have nothing to be ashamed of.
>>
>>1022520
I use a bunch of old Solios on my trips, really useful for recharging a gps. It's a bit better if you charge them on the car roof on the way to the trails, but I'm guessing the new ones are more efficient.
>>
Solar works if you buy a lot of it. You will need huge capacity to charge as fast as you can at home.

The little index card sized solar/battery bank combo units are useless.

You want literally as much wattage as you can carry. 5-7 watts is minimum useful amount to charge a phone. 10 watts is better. You can get folding arrays up to like 30 watts that fit in a backpack, that's what I use.
>>
>>1022129
post it
>>
>>1023528

It's almost always best to charge a battery with your panels, then charge your stuff from the battery.
>>
Have a RAVpower 24 watt one, I like it. Under summer sun conditions you can charge 2 USB devices at the same rate as you'd get from the mains.
>>
I got myself an Anker 21W PV because I am offgrid for at least a few weeks regularly and was sick of stumbling through forest or up and down some rocky slopes without light or using a fucking candle.
I'm using it with 18650 Lithium batteries with matching flashlights and a charger that doubles as power pack and it kept my light, tablet for navigation, audiobooks etc and camera working so far.
Even charges pretty well with partial cloud cover.

All in all it's about a kg more to carry but totally worth it, if you don't have access to an outlet for a longer time.

>would buy again
>>
>>1021451
Is that a question?
>>
>>1022640
>10kmAh
>not saying 10Ah
kys Burger-boi
>>
>>1021241
I agree with >>1022084 and >>1024552 recommending Anker. I've got a 21 watt trifold panel from them, it's nice. I use it to charge my little 0.5Ah battery packs, charges one in a couple hours of woodland hiking.
>>
>>1021451
Go die. This is a shit thread. Why should we tell OP how to think instead of him just simply googling what he is looking for?
You are cancer
>>
File: IMG_20170504_164433.jpg (739KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170504_164433.jpg
739KB, 1200x1600px
>>1027875
>hurr durr jus googol it
You, sir, are the cancer. Not one of your posts ITT has contained any quality discourse. Some other anons have at least provided input to the conversation; you're just using the thread as an echo chamber. Congratulations on being an utter waste of breath and bandwidth.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.