/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking in Lightning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0003.jpg (708KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003.jpg
708KB, 1600x900px
So I was supposed to start my 5-day hike on the app trail tomorrow but the weather is supposed to be SHIT. I'm constrained by time so I need to fit something in. Should I do two day hikes nearby while staying at a shelter or just stick to my five day plan despite the overwhelming downpour/lightning forecast?

Any harrowing lightning tales to put the fear of God in me? Any east coast bros braving the downpours?
>>
>>1021235
Obviously, I would be doing a three day hike once the weather clears up (Thursday - Saturday)
>>
>>1021235
Stop being a crusty, roastie vagina and just hike in the rain you sissy. You're more likely to win the lottery twice in a row than you are getting struck by lightning you scaredy cat.
>>
>>1021273
Well goddamn anon. It looks like a perpetual downpour two days straight, I'm not sure I'm up for backpacking 15 miles in torrential rain and pitching a tent twice in a row. I'm fine with hiking in the rain but dragging a 30 pound pack with me isn't ideal. It just sounds shitty. I think I'd rather day hike in the mornings with a light pack and chill at camp during the onslaught.

Am I a roastie vagina? Am I doomed?
>>
>>1021304
>roastie vagina
Yes
>doomed
I hope you get struck by lightning
>>
Just get some Frogg Toggs™ m8
>>
>>1021273
You are far more likely to have a tree fall on you that was recently struck by lightening though. Or become surrounded by a forest fire sparked by lightening. Hiking/camping in the rain fucking sucks anyway. Stay home and watch departures instead.
>>
>>1021350
>You are far more likely to have a tree fall on you that was recently struck by lightening though. Or become surrounded by a forest fire sparked by lightening
both of these are false.

we actually have statistics on the number of people killed by lightning, trees, and fires, ya know?

Lightning is one of the major killers of hikers, fishermen, golfers, boaters, etc.
>>
File: CIMG0833.jpg (999KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0833.jpg
999KB, 1600x1200px
Lightning isn't that big of an issue at Appalachian Mountain elevations. The only stories I've actually heard of people taking an indirect lightning hit while in the mountains have been when they were actually on exposed rock with clouds converging all around them.

The bigger issue I'd worry about would be flooding. Any creeks are going to be flooded during the downpour and any tributaries of larger streams could be backed up, causing problems if the trail crosses them.
>>
File: CIMG0832.jpg (1004KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0832.jpg
1004KB, 1600x1200px
>>1021365
This is one of the pictured river's tributaries - just a little creek you can step across, but because it exists in its own small valley, the larger river backs up into it during a flood, which flooded the trail here.
>>
>>1021235
Thinking about starting a section Friday. Woody Gap to Standing Indian and back, further depending on how supplies last. Fuck the rain.

If you're in the area I'll be the guy under the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone with an FN FiveseveN on the waist belt.
>>
>>1021350
>lightening
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.