[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honey, from legit companies not corn syrup, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: bees.jpg (537KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
bees.jpg
537KB, 750x500px
I am way to hesitant to purchase honey from a grocery store.

After reading that 70% of the honey products on the shelves are not even REAL Honey..

but a concoction of sugars, syrup and maybe 4% real honey. That's obscense... so if you know of any LEGIT honey product producers post em.. a pic of the product would help.

Oh and fuck off with your burt's bees products... before you even try google image search, fag.
>>
>>>/ck/
>>
>>1020822
google your states beekeeping association. Their website should have a map of reputable farms where you can buy raw honey
>>
>>1020827
Theres a beekeeper thread already in here.. so thought I might get some pro advice.
>>
>>1020822
Just support your local beekeeper and buy from them.
Also what shitty consumer laws do you have that they are allowed to sell something under the name honey that isn't?
>>
>>1020822
If you live in any of the Western world countries, manufacturers are required to list ingredients. Accurately. And their products are tested routinely to make sure they do.

So go to your favorite grocery store and buy whichever bottle lists only honey as ingredients.

Hell you can buy Fair Trade/organic/non gmo certified 100% guaranteed honey at fucking walmart.
>>
>>1020822
Just get your own bees
>>
>>1020833
Then why didn't you ask in that thread?
>>
And where did you read this?
>>
Don't listen to them OP, everyone posting itt is on Big Honey's payroll. You have no idea how deep this thing goes. If you want the truth, go to the source.
>>
>>1020839
this plus supposedly it can help with local allergies
>>
Buy unpasteurised honey, if it's pasteurised it has no side benefits.
>>
>>1020907
The source is actual bees. Just go find a wild hive or set up your own hive. It's that simple.
>>
Look around for farmer's markets, fruit stands, etc. I get my honey from the feed store.
>>
did you say bees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNqii0rQc4g
>>
>>1020839
this.
>>
Enjoy the honey now as bees will be extinct in 20 years
>>
Farmers market or fancy food co-op.

Same with maple syrup, most is shitty corn syrup, food coloring, and maple "flavor".
>>
File: ColinCanlove22.jpg (820KB, 1697x972px) Image search: [Google]
ColinCanlove22.jpg
820KB, 1697x972px
>>1020822
In the USA, it is illegal to call something "honey" if it is diluted or the pollen has been filtered out. There are similar laws for calling stuff "maple syrup" and "spring water".

Thus, companies will use additional terminology like "maple flavored syrup" or "honey blend" in order to get around this law while still name dropping in order to trick you into buying it. China is notorious for filtering honey to prevent people from identifying the pollen and thus where the honey originally came from.

There's also a problem where the bee keeper feeds the honey bees sugar water or HFCS during times when it is not needed for the bees' survival.

Buying from local apiarists or maintaining your own hives really is the only proper option. Everyone should buy their food from as local as they can or grow/raise it themselves, simply for food security and reduction of resource use and related costs.
>>
Here is why I started this thread.. I hate huffingtonpost.. but anyway:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/most-store-bought-honey-i_b_1118564.html
>>
>>1024680

"
The problem, according to the Food Safety News report, is that there is no way to tell if honey is really honey except by looking through a microscope at the pollen grains imbedded in it. And these highly nutritious grains are frequently filtered out of the final product leaving no way to determine whether it is really honey, or a highly processed syrup which bears that name.

It is for this reason that U.S. Food and Drug Administration rules state that any product that contains no pollen cannot be called honey. But the understaffed FDA isn’t checking. So the Food Safety News sent 60 jars, jugs and plastic bears of store-bought honey to Vaughn Bryant, a professor at Texas A&M University, the director of the schools Palynology Research Laboratory.

Bryant’s results were astonishing: virtually all drug store honey and small individually packaged honey served up in fast food outlets does not contain pollen, and 76 percent of the amber stuff sold in America’s leading supermarket chains is likewise devoid of this telltale evidence of its origins, and therefore does not qualify as honey by the FDA’s own standards. On the other hand, all of the samples bought at farmers markets, coops and health food stores were infused with the traces of pollen that proved it was real.

Commercial honey manufactures say that they ultra-filter it because shoppers want honey that is crystal clear and devoid of impurities. But there are other reasons the pollen gets removed, including the desire to conceal where it comes from, and lace it with cheap additives. Since pollen’s source is local blossoms, the type of pollens found in honey tells botanists where the honey originated, and whether it is authentic."
>>
>>1020907
Hint: Follow the pollen
>>
>>1022884

the issue is that it's still allowed to be called "honey" even after it's pasteurized - after this process is over, all the good enzymes are broken down and it's all simple sugars. "raw" honey indicates a bypass of this process.
>>
OP, buy some "raw, local" honey from your nearest earthy-crunchy store. they will certainly have it. i'd offer to sell you some of mine, but giving up personal info on 4chan is asking for trouble... good luck!

oh and don't get bees if your only reason for having them is to produce honey. you'll have a shitty time. lool
>>
Just don't buy from companies that process in China, and you'll be fine.
>>
I need to talk my dad into letting me keep bees.

>pollinate everything within 4 miles of the hive
>produce a tasty, high calorie food that never spoils if sealed properly, people have eaten honey they found in Egyptian tombs and didn't get sick
>make useful wax
>fun to watch buzz around

bees truly are the best bug
>>
>>1027054
Bees are based, friend. Hope your dad sees the light
>>
>>1020907
Hint, buying from a local beekeeper will get you honey. I'm pretty sure that Monsanto doesn't have a bee department
>>
>>1026032
Why would someone pasteurize honey, something that is inherently antibacterial?
>>
https://www.honeyflow.com
Also if you are way to afraid of fake products on shelf, I will let you know that 60-70% of everything we buy every day isn't natural, and was made by human hands in laboratory
>>
>>1020833
>a thread already exists
>therefore I will start a redundant thread on the same topic
>>
>>1027072
Keeps it from crystallizing in the jar when stored improperly.
>>
>>1026032
No, in the USA that is not true. If it isn't raw, you can't call it "honey" you have to add "pasteurized". As in, "pasteurized honey".
>>
>>1027214
No, the USA has no such labeling requirement.
>>
>>1027205

even when stored properly, raw honey will crystallize, especially buckwheat honey - that stuff will crystal up on you within weeks.

After pasteurization, the schmucks selling it can keep it on the same shelf for years on end without it going crystallized.

This is especially good for the plebs selling it in those tacky #2 HDPE bear-shaped bottles that would melt if heated up - after all, 30 seconds in a microwave will undo just about all the crystal formations in containers of honey under 1 pint, but of course this option is impossible once it's been sealed in cheap plastic bottles...
>>
>>1020822
I have never consumed supermarket honey. My grandfather kept bees, and his widow inherited the business when he died.
>>
Manuka honey from New Zealand or Australia is purest.

They even have a medical grade for use on wounds.
>>
>>1020822
if you go to a farmers market and/or live in a ruralish area it usually isn't too difficult to find real honey
>>
>>1020870
>get your own bees
its the only way to be sure
>>
>>1030030
No it's not the "purest" it's meme honey at best. And all unpasteurised honey van be used medicinally on wounds.
>>
>>1032633
>>1030030
Purity isn't a thing with honey since it is meant to be "impure," in the first place. Manuka and other honeydew honeys are actually pretty terrible tasting, but evidently good for your health, because going through 2 insects is better than 1.
>>
>>1032613

If you think you'll save money on honey by buying your own bees, you're gonna have a bad time
>>
>>1026032
What enzymes are in honey that aren't broken down when you digest it?
>>
>>1033025
Seems you know nothing about bee keeping. You should make all your money back and then some no later than 3 years after starting. The first year the honey goes to the bees to build their numbers higher. After that, you can put 60lbs of honey from a hive easy. If you are lucky you can get twice that much from a single hive. Even ordering all your items instead of any DIY stuff you'll pay less than $700 for all the tools, suit, and one complete hive setup. That's turnkey though. It is cheaper to lure your own bees in with a DIY hive, you'll save hundreds. Check honey prices in your area. They should be over $5/pound.

After your initial cost of equipment is paid off, you make money hand over fist, if you are selling it. I don't sell any of my honey. I get about 450lbs of honey a year from 5 hives. That's a couple thousand dollars in honey each year. I bought by equipment used from the local bee keeper's association and all my queens came from spring swarms over the years.

>>1033056
The wording is a legal thing so you know you are getting real honey and not something that has been altered. It is like comparing an apple with an apple pie.
>>
>>1033103
A different guy here, but beekeeper nonetheless.

I own an apiary and ranch. The thing to consider isn't really how expensive it will run a few hives to gain a yield. It costs virtually nothing to get a few brood boxes, deep and shallow supers. What the actual cost is coming from manufacturing and labeling of your honey to sell. Local, raw, unpasteurized honey can sell for around 12-15 dollars for eight ozs for one reason. Apiaries sell to farmers markets, and they also sell to "farmer's market" down the road near a commercial hub.

A real farmers market will sell for 10 dollars for eight ozs, but also sell for 15 dollars at the alternative location, near the cities. Same principal where real honey can be sold for 150-175 a gallon. There are 12 pounds to a gallon, a hive can make a surplus of 25-75 pounds, but I've seen an average of 60. But you look at your supers for that. A medium super will yield you three to four gallons of honey per harvest. So you do this three times a year with a few hives.

The point is, a few thousand is an underestimate because you can theoretically make more money than you know what you can do with once you get past the 10 hive mark.

All for virtually nothing.
>>
>>1020822
Dude, just go to your local flea market and but some from the Mennonites that are always there.
>>
Does your ingredients say that? All the ones I find say honey. Doesn't taste anything like fresh from the hive.
>>
>>1033815
Where I live you can't sell honey for more than $5.50 for 16 ounces. No one will buy it when they can pay $5/pound at the local store. The only difference has been eggs. 1 dozen is $0.99 at the store while I sell mine for $2 a dozen. Everything is free range and organic too. The honey is real honey of course; can't say the same for the store stuff for either thing.

That's why I only sell eggs and no longer try to sell honey.
>>
>>1033838
Flavour also depends on what the bees fed on, around here clover is popular. Followed by buckwheat and wild flower.
>>
>>1033872
It heavily depends on the state you live in. ND, SD, FL, CA and MO produces the most amount of honey. Whereas beekeeping is so sparse in VA, the government will pay you to bee keep and you can still retain maximal profits. However, we do have a cottage law system set up for new keepers which limit the max amount of honey one could sell. But it doesn't stop anyone. Not to mention beeswax and selling bees.

Good luck with your egg endeavors, friend.
>>
>>1034473
>Good luck with your egg endeavors, friend.

Thanks, but I really only have chickens to feed myself and selling the excess eggs helps pay for fence maintenance. Because, enough welded-sire fencing to encompass several acres to ensure "free-range" status is pretty damn expensive.
>>
>>1034475
You could theoretically contact a few 'good ole boys' to string up a fence for you for a cheaper rate than a company.
>>
>>1020822
>After reading that 70% of the honey products on the shelves are not even REAL Honey..
Burger problems...
When are you fuckers gonna kill off the corn syrup jewery industry?
>>
>>1034571
I put up the fence myself.

>>1034572
It is a huge problem in all of Europe too. You can blame China.
>>
File: wat.jpg (5KB, 251x205px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
5KB, 251x205px
>>1034580
>It is a huge problem in all of Europe too.
Never seen this problem here in Sweden, most grocery stores sell local produced honey.
>You can blame China.
Who the fuck buys "honey" processed in fucking China?
>>
>>1034630
>Who the fuck buys "honey" processed in fucking China?
1. People who are too poor to afford real honey or don't care and just get what is cheapest/available.
2. Companies who don't care and just get what is cheapest/available to use in their products.
3. People being misled when they think they are buying local/high quality honey.
>>
>>1020822
local honey right down the road, its delicious.

here's a way to get around your dilemma, dont goto a store to buy honey.
>>
>>1034580
Am in Europe, have not even seen Chinese honey in the stores. Would not buy it anyway.

I've only ever bought domestic honey, sometimes it's produced very close like 20 min drive away.

Check the local farmer's market. Around here they sell like 5 and 10 litre buckets of honey of locally made stuff from some mom + pop farm.
>>
>>1034630
Did you not read >>1024680 China exports it to other countries so that it can be shipped from there to the destination country, bypassing some regulations and hiding the country of origin.

If your store sells local honey, where you can call up the guy producing it and have a chat they that's really great. Some stores do the same thing here, but not all of them and most have local and imported side by side. Actually, the guy who sells to the stores locally goes to my family's church and is a friend of the family (yes, the Pastor actually went to his farm and prayed over the hives for good honey). I just eat the "pagan" honey from my own hives.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.