[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /out/ think of campers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: look ma im surviving.jpg (53KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
look ma im surviving.jpg
53KB, 720x450px
I've always had an irrational, seething hatred for campers in regards to /out/ings. There's something about their bland, corrugated metal appearance that makes me want to take a page out of the Indian's book and burn the thing to the ground, returning it to nature. Is this just me, or am I in good company? If not, at what point does it stop being a camper and start being a mobile home?
>>
>>1019646
But why? Why do you feel this way. You mention indians. are you yourself native american?

The thing is you qre probably feeling repressed hatred for a perceived wrong. And i would be glad to talk to you about it. But if you are making camp anywhere near a 35 foot camper, you are not trying to solve the problem.
>>
File: GENIUS.gif (2MB, 376x231px) Image search: [Google]
GENIUS.gif
2MB, 376x231px
>>1019670
That's a good possibility. I really don't care about campers when I see them in more developed areas though, so not sure if it's perceived wrong or just personal bias.
Ah, but you're avoiding the question. Do YOU hate campers?
>>
>>1019678
I hate literally everybody. That's why i camp.
>>
File: Trip (1).jpg (164KB, 675x507px) Image search: [Google]
Trip (1).jpg
164KB, 675x507px
I don't hate them. I feel like when I'm old and retired (if I even get that far without killing myself) I'll want one for touring the countryside, park the damn thing and head off into buttfuck nowhere. My only problem is when people say "omg i luuuv nature <3<3<3" and they've never wandered off the beaten path. That is, away from trails and campsites. I can't tell people I like camping because they'll assume I'm into pic related and I can't tell them I'm into backpacking because they'll assume I'm doing the same thing as 20 something year olds going on a trip to Europe, Thailand, Straya or whatever and then I can't actually explain what I do without coming off as a pretentious prick FUCKING GLAMPING NORMIES RUIN EVERYTHING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
OP Im pretty much with you. Campers make me roll my eyes especially since I have inlaws who have a 5th wheel thry camp in and a couple of relatives on their side who literally have to upstage each other with newer and 'better' ones. Then they sit outside them like fat retarded fucks roasting smokies and making bologna sandwiches, playing music, running generators, and go ride their 4 wheeler nownand then, and act like this is a great way to spend free time.

They pretty much are spending $40,000+++ to just drag a simulated version of normal life with them. To me that totally defeats the notion of escaping, which is why I camp; im escaping society, people, technology, and work to experience barebones life and nature.

So to me, going the other way is progress: from normal tents to floorless shelters or hammocks. From big wood fires to a simple little alcohol stove. And if theres any music, its something accoustic or folksy.

The camper feels and looks like prison.

And yes I hate them. They ruin the wild areas and look like shit and are intrusive and I cant see the benefit.

When Im too old to backpack, ill be sailing.

But Im also like
>>1019680
In the sense that I pretty much everyone, so I might be biased.
>>
>>1019684
Yeah, I enjoy the idea of using a camper for a nomadic lifestyle. It's just baby boomers with more money than sense that buy these 25ft monsters with TV, electric lights, running water, memory foam mattress, and a pantry big enough to hold a month worth of food AND THEN THEY CALL THAT CAMPING AND TELL ALL THEIR BOOMER FRIENDS HOW RUGGED THEIR HUSBAND IS BECAUSE HE CAN START A FIRE WITH GASOLINE AND ONE OF THOSE STUPID BBQ LIGHTERS that rustle my jimmies.

>>1019689
Dang, you've perfectly put into words what I've always felt deep inside me. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>1019689
Oh, the other irritating shit these fucks do:

>Hey anon want to bring your wife up camping?
"Yeah i guess we will come up for a night"
>Anon you guys should really get a camper. You can find a great deal on craigslist right now blah blah toy hauler blah blah slideouts hurrrr then youd really be comfortable

No asshole, Id rather just stay home then. IM IN A TARP ON PURPOSE AND ITS COMFY AS FUCK, STOP TRYING TO FOIST YOUR BURDEN ON ME. And no I dont want to go ride 4 wheelers, if I wanted that noise ill just drive around with my windows down since my exhaust rusted out years ago
>>
>>1019693
I totally agree on the 4 wheeler part. I see 4 wheelers as a means to get somewhere, not as a means to experience somewhere. If I don't have anywhere to go, I'm not on anything with tires.
>>
Oh look its another "SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE SO I'M GOING TO BITCH ABOUT IT AND ACT SUPERIOR BUT COMPLAIN THEY ACT SUPERIOR" thread

Stfu. If you don't like what someone does then don't do it. If they want to spend their money a different way than you would then let them. quit being a fag
>>
I used to own an old popup camper. They're nice for camping trips in the winter and also for trips where I'm mostly hunting and fishing and can lock everything up. I ended up selling it for a boat though and don't really camp too much. My weekend trips now consist of fishing and drinking. If you can't catch a fish, you can always catch a buzz,
>>
>>1019709
True. Pop up campers have always been the exception for me. I guess they're lacking the luxuries of normal campers, so they're more in the realm of traditional tents.
>>
File: 20160701_174942-picsay.jpg (675KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160701_174942-picsay.jpg
675KB, 2048x1536px
I have a camper. I like it. Bought it instead of going on a honeymoon with my wife. We used that, and the money we got from our wedding, and a gift from each of our families from the wedding, and bought our camper. Pic related.

No, it's not camping. I also backpack, which is my way of camping. Being in a camper is a little different. I have a young daughter, and staying in a hotel with a 1 year old sucks. In our camper, it's like being at home. It's just easier. Its also only $25-40 a night to camp, so its a cheap enough vacation to get away for a long weekend.

I guess I like campers because I grew up at campgrounds like the pic here >>1019684 . I have a lot of great memories around a fire with my family. We always brought friends with us on our camping trips, and we had boats and jet skis so we spent all day boating, and all night sitting around a nice fire.

It's also nice because I have a camper, as does my brother, my parents, several aunts and uncles, several cousins, and several friends. All in all there's about 12 families that I'm friends with or related to that have campers as well.

My camper has an outside kitchen. It's nice to be able to have a fridge full of beer, and to cook outside just relaxing. We also use the camper as a basecamp when we get to an area, so we can go off hiking, kayaking, biking, and then come back and be nice and comfortable at night.

You don't have to like it, but it's pretty odd to have a hatred of something you've never even tried.
>>
>>1019726
Oh, I've tried it. Like you say, it's not camping, so I guess all my bottled up hatred and malice is more directed to wannabe outdoorsmen that so often inhabit said campers. Not that I'm trying to build myself up as some kind of survival god or anything, it just really gets my goat whenever people trot out "camping" as to make themselves out as some kind of woods guru. Kind of like ultralight backpackers, I have no issue with the practice itself. Just the holier than thou individuals who talk about it like it makes them better than you. I guess my point is that rich people with campers are irritating and I'm a bitter husk of a man who needs something to blame all the evils of the world on.
>>
I have a small tow behind one, and I love it. It's incredibly useful for shit like expedition hunts and fishing trips, or traveling to skeet tournaments, but not something I see myself using for shit like weekends at the local KOA.

I do fully understand the disdain of RV campers though, beyond the fact that the majority of them are destructive assholes with no respect for the environment camper campgrounds always look and smell like traveling trailer parks.
>>
>>1019762
You know as I was reading, thats exactly the description that started to come to mind: travelling trailer parks. When my wifes side of the family has their group campouts (at the same spot every year) this is exactly what it is. A handful of RVs parked around with dogs on cables and everyone just sitting around talking about nothing.

I will say though, my wife and I have talked about a pop-up or something for when we travel. I cant do gross motel rooms whatsoever so our lodging budget is usually considerable. Doing the math we actually would save money in the long run, plus we would be able to cook meals and have our own food stuffs, no cleaning staff etc. In that regard it is appealing and frankly Id just park it at Wal Mart since they let you do that assuming youll spend money there. Plus then we can people watch.

Ill also admit that for people like my FIL who was a logger and trucker his whole life, this is about the extent to which they can camp without being in immense pain or just plain unable. I can respect that. But the extravegance of these things is still ridiculous and really can ruin otherwise nice areas for the rest of us vs. Something smaller and understated.
>>
>>1019806
Because of what I do with mine (medium term meat and firearms transport), I couldn't do a popup.

I currently have a 17ft "travel trailer", which seems huge, until you open it and realize I've stuck 2 big deep freezes and a rack with 6 20lb propane cylinders (to run the generator, since theres no way in fuck I can stick enough solar panels on it to handle the deep freezes) and 2 humongous deep cycle batteries in it, plus a small gun safe. I've got the kitchenette and a hammock in it, plus the microscopic bathroom, and that's it for living space. It's there to facilitate 10 day plus excursions with no resupply, not to be a land yacht.
>tfw took it on a 17 day public-land prairie dog hunt and had to get it weighed at a check station
>the station clerk's face was priceless when it was almost a thousand pounds heavier than he thought it would be
At least I had the foresight to get a trailer brake system installed.
>>
>>1019646
I would only want one for really long term purposes, like /homelessgeneral/ or living out of on an owned lot of land far from ""camping spots"" like >>1019684
>>
>>1019849
Sounds legit. I only say popup because of considerations of cost and mileage. I don't wanna shed more MPG than we have to. Plus I like that I could store it without having to build another damn storage building on my property.

>>1019851

My inlaws actually semi-retired in to theirs and when they aren't camping they live on a little RV pad up my driveway a ways. People make fun of the arrangement but they pretty much keep to themselves. I actually like having them there...they kept the entire driveway plowed all winter, they watch our dogs when we aren't home, and with some of the strange cars that have tried to come 'visit' I don't mind having someone watching the place.

Plus we're about to be parents and it's going to be cool for the kid and them to get so much time together.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.