[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping Bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: REIBag2.png (946KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
REIBag2.png
946KB, 1000x667px
Looking to get a 3 season sleeping bag that is small, lightweight, but warm. I think I found the bag I need, the REI Magma 10, but it's going to be $400 with tax.

That's over 4x the price of my current bag. Is there anything else I should be looking at that's as good but cheaper?

>pic related
>>
>>1018363
>3 season
>10 degree bag
do you not know what 3 seasons means, or do your seasons suck that badly?

assuming it's the former, buy a 30 degree bag and a good liner (which will serve double duty keeping you warmer and keeping your bag cleaner).
>>
>>1018378

I've camped in 22F and was freezing my balls off. I do plan on camping above 10k feet.

I mean the bag is 2lbs and not huge. Is it overkill for summer sometimes? Probably, but I can open it up and it's still light, but when I need it, it'll be warm enough for winter camping if I get a liner.

It's just the price that is a hard pill to swallow. So many nice things I want I could buy for that.
>>
>>1018381
as the owner of an rei bag i wouldn't pay $400 for one. i got a clearance igneo for $180 and haven't been particularly impressed with its warmth.

what kind of pad do you have?
>>
(not Op)
I own an Exped 7r sleeping mat
A Kelty comic 40 down
A Slumberjack Soujourn -20
and a sea to summit liner.

This combo lasts me any and all season, and costs barely more than your $400 for one sleeping bag.

If I had to do it over again, I'd choose the same set-up. IMO it's fantastic for cost/weight/quality.
>>
>>1018385

I got a big agnes blow up pad.
>>
>>1018390
you know the r value? i expect it's decent, but sometimes they'll be surprisingly shitty
>>
>>1018392

Umm... It's 1.
>>
>>1018392

Actually 1.5
>>
>>1018393
>>1018394
well, that's better than sleeping right on the dirt, i guess.

start by getting yourself a proper pad with an r value of at least 4.5 and go from there.
>>
>>1018381
You're gonna fucking sweat to death 7 months out of the year.

22*F is not "3 season" that's winter camping.

If you're ever actually cold in a sleeping bag and it's above its rated temperature, you're doing something wrong. You either don't have the proper pad, don't have the proper wind break, went to bed sweaty, didn't take care of your bag and something degraded, or simply don't know how to use a mummy bag. You're also not supposed to sleep naked/just in underwear.

For most men, a 40*F bag will be plenty for recreational 3 season camping, even at elevation. Women usually need a 30*F bag.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-WATERPROOF-0-Degree/dp/B003BR50D6

Get this and save your money you fucking moron
>>
>>1018363
>ooking to get a 3 season sleeping bag that is small, lightweight, but warm.
Can you define your use a little better? What are you doing with it? I.e., traditional gear backpacking, ultralight backpacking, car camping, bike camping, canoeing/kayaking, or what else?

Also,
>I think I found the bag I need, the REI Magma 10,
Think of it this way: "3 season" is going to cover summer, most of spring and most of fall. Depending on where you live, it might cover all of spring, summer and fall. It might be suitable for a warm weekend in winter if you live in a mild climate like parts of the lower Midwest. Most three season bags are rated to around 20-25 degrees - not 10 degrees.

>>1018389
Yeah, but two cheap sleeping bags are going to be significantly heavier and bulkier than a single down sleeping bag. That may not matter if your backpack has a really large capacity, or if weight and packed size don't matter (car camping), but it's a major amount of bulk and weight if you want to do ultralight backpacking. This is a perfect example of why purpose matters so much.
>>
>>1018466
>raditional gear backpacking, ultralight backpacking, car camping, bike camping, canoeing/kayaking, or what else?

Traditional backpacking, car camping, and maybe some mid altitude summer/fall mountain climbing. Like 10k feet or so. I'm talking in the cascades of WA.

Coldest I've camped was in the 20s in early Nov in the cascades. I'd like to be able to do that and a little colder if possible, even if it may be rare or never again.
>>
>>1018469
If you're going backpacking, I would definitely go with a quality down bag, then. You don't need to get the most expensive Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends ultralight bag (although if you can afford one, you definitely won't regret it), but if you apply your $300-400 price range to something made by Marmot or Mountain Hardware, you should be able to find something good.

I have to echo the other poster: >>1018385. My experience with REI sleeping bags hasn't been positive either. They might produce some bags which are better than others, but the one I owned (Kilo Plus) was so poorly filled with down that I got cold spots at 40 degrees and started to get chilly below that. The Kilo Plus was supposed to be a 0 degree bag!

If you get something cheap, I think it's probably more acceptable to cheap out on a synthetic bag. Just keep in mind that as synthetic gets compressed (which happens during backpacking), the fibers will eventually, over time, get damaged and lose their ability to loft, so they have shorter lifespans than down bags. That said, synthetic fibers of 2017 are significantly better engineered than they were 10 years ago last time I was shopping for sleeping bags, so it won't be THAT bad.
>>
File: camp-plcandownbag.jpg (19KB, 390x292px) Image search: [Google]
camp-plcandownbag.jpg
19KB, 390x292px
>>1018363
I'm also looking for a sleeping bag, they have pic related at a local surplus store for $180, it's what the Canadian Military uses.

Would it be worth buying as a poorfag? The outer and inner are both rated for -15 C (5 F) and together they're rated for -40 C/F. (For hot weather I guess you could just use the liner inside a bivy bag)
>>
>>1018650
are you going to have to carry it any appreciable distance or number of days? military stuff is generally heavy and bulky as fuck.
>>
>>1018654
Next year I want to trek across Canada, from Halifax to Vancouver, between April and September.

But for the time being probably the most is a couple kilometres
>>
May 19-29 REI is running a good sale on sleeping bags (and other shit) check the prices now, should be a little easier on mom and dads credit card
>>
>>1018661
a) you don't need that much warmth
b) you'll go insane after a couple days lugging that behemoth around and trying to comfortably stuff it in or tie it to your pack every day.
find yourself a nice, cheap, warm synthetic. i ran around with a marmot trestles 15 i got on sale for $60 and a $5 thrift store closed cell pad for a couple years and they never let me down. then, when i knew what i specifically wanted and needed i upgraded.
>>
Down. Quilt.
>>
>>1018466
>>>1018389
>Yeah, but two cheap sleeping bags are going to be significantly heavier and bulkier than a single down sleeping bag. That may not matter if your backpack has a really large capacity, or if weight and packed size don't matter (car camping), but it's a major amount of bulk and weight if you want to do ultralight backpacking. This is a perfect example of why purpose matters so much.

The Kelty bag weighs 12z. The slumberjack.com weighs under 4lbs for a - 20 bag. The bag liner weighs maybe 6z.

I only take one bag or the other, and the liner. I don't know how you got that I take both sleeping bags.

The cost of all that plus my pad is maybe 500. Definitely cheaper on sale.

As far as weight/warmth/quality, I'd recommend each of the pieces I listed.

Take advise from here, but make the choice that's right for you.

The only bad choice would be deciding on a bag based off of brand name, or pre-conceived choice. You say you wanted an rei bag. People advised its over priced and bad quality.

Get yourself in a store to see them for yourself. Talk to people in rei that actually go /out/ get lots of information.

400$ give or take is a huge investment and should have consideration and research involved. That's basically what I earn in a week after taxes. And I hate my job, so I make damn sure I spend my money on what is best.
>>
>>1018661
boring as fuck desu, do the Pacific Crest Trail
>>
>>1018768
>I don't know how you got that I take both sleeping bags.
Well you did say "combo," and other people do double up with sleeping bags in the winter, but I understand what you mean now.
>>
>>1018363
Kelty Cosmic Down 20

Best in class, easily ($150)
>>
>>1018460
>waterproof
>windproof
>breathable
>0 degree
>$120

Why wasnt this thread over a long time ago?
>>
>>1018926
>trusting sleeping bag manufacturers to honestly describe their products
Sounds like you are pretty new to camping.
>>
File: 20170519_191547.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170519_191547.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1019012
Owned it for years and it is all of those things. Best bag I've ever owned. Have used it upwards of 200 nights. My job requires me to spend weeks at a time in the woods. Glove is for scale.
>>
File: 20170519_191635.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170519_191635.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1019012
>>1019017
Other angle

The bag unironically has nothing even close to it on the market for the price and quality.
>>
File: PalisadeOGL2015.jpg (158KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PalisadeOGL2015.jpg
158KB, 1200x1200px
Katabatic Palisade.

Love mine in 900 fill power.

https://katabaticgear.com/shop/palisade-sleeping-bag/
>>
Considering this one m8

https://www.rei.com/product/896029/kelty-cosmic-down-20-sleeping-bag-mens
>>
>>1019017
What's your job?
>>
>>1020022
Forester up way north
>>
>>1019101
>the best
>>
Hammockgear.com has a good line of econ quilts out. Just picked up an 800 fill down 30 degree quilt for $140.
>>
File: review-haglofs-lim-down-1.jpg (579KB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
review-haglofs-lim-down-1.jpg
579KB, 2200x1467px
Haglöfs lim down. It goes in ridiculously small space and weight under half kilogram.
>>
My solution to the problem has been a MontBell U.L. Alpine Down Hugger #3. Comes in at 21.5 ounces and is rated down to 32F. I pair it with a Sea to Summit silk liner and (here's the secret) an Exped Downmat 9 which is 44.1 oz.

I end up using the down hugger as a blanket most of the time because I'll sweat profusely if it's zipped up. This combo has gotten me down to 15F one night in Bighorn National Forest. Absolutely no discomfort unzipped.

Take this as you will, I sleep hot. Also isn't the lightest solution out there, but I need a beefy ground pad to sleep well, so I save weight other places and it works out for me.
>>
What do you guys think of Slumberjack? Saw
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.