[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tent or Tarp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: download (2).jpg (9KB, 273x185px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9KB, 273x185px
What is the deal with tents? Are they required for /out/ or are they just a personal preference.

I always just bring a tarp and sleep on it. Have always been fine but I see you all talking about tents. If the weather is fair is their any benifit to bringing a tent over a tarp?

Im from NH if that means anything.
>>
>>1017844
Depends on where you are I'd say. Where I'm at it's wake up soaked and covered in ticks and leaves
>>
>>1017844
Required? Na. Arguably better with a tent though
>>
Some people dislike rain and wind and bugs.

Other folks don't care.

It's up to you.
>>
>>1017844
Some places they're required, either due to weather or the sheer volume of biting insects.

The privacy is nice if you plan on jerking it or fucking while /out/, or you're super self-conscious.
>>
As others have said, rain, bugs, privacy.

For me it mostly has to do with how far I'm hiking to camp. If it's car camping at a campground or just a short hike in, I'll take a tent. Anything longer and it's usually a tarp/bivy or hammock.
>>
>>1017844
Hammocks are where it's at.
>>
>>1017844
>NH
Mah nigga. Southern NH, near Keene here. Where are you?
>>
>>1017929
Plaistow, going up to the Whites this weekend
>>
>>1017844
Been using a generic blue tarp from Walmart for about 6 years now. It's awesome not having to fuck with a zipper flap and worrying about tracking dirt and mud into the tent. You just unzip your bag, put on your shoes, and stand up. No crawling to a door, sitting half-in half-out with your shoes and shit.

If there's bugs, I bring a mosquito suit. If there's rain/snow, it doesn't matter because if you choose the correct spot for your tarp you won't even get damp.
>>
Anons that camp with just a tarp: How do you set it up? Do you wrap yourself up in it, sleep on it, sleep under it? How do you stay dry when it's raining?
>>
I find the tent is worth the weight in exchange for privacy and bug free sleeping.
>>
Tent here, fuck rattle snakes.
>>
>>1017844
>I always just bring a tarp and sleep on it.

Well, you could pitch that tarp ABOVE you and get some actual rain protection, but the way you're using it, you're going to get very wet when it starts raining.
>>
>people talking about privacy

Don't get me wrong, if I'm in a campground with other people, I'll bring my tent, but if I'm going into the woods, privacy is not a concern at all, since I can make my campsite wherever I want to.
>>
File: Untitled.png (15KB, 819x460px)
Untitled.png
15KB, 819x460px
>>1018140
>How do you set it up?
I usually do either a simple lean-to, or a triangle tube.

>How do you stay dry when it's raining?
Pitch the tarp under a healthy tree with decent branches, or pick a spot that is away from any drainage area and throw a bunch of pine needles/leaves around you. As long as you angle your tarp to be facing away from the prevailing wind, you're gonna be dry.
>>
>>1017844
>Its an "I'm going to make a stupid thread asking stupid questions" thread.

You answered your own question in your first post. You prefer tarp, so obviously tents aren't "required"

Stop trying to bait /out/ into another tarp vs tent argument.

Saged.
>>
>>1018547
Quit being so upset, I was just asking a question.
>>
>>1018536
In both examples, the bottom line you drew represents part of the tarp, meaning you have a big enough tarp to be under you and over you, correct?
Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>1017939
Which ones are you going for? Good weekend for that; the weather is supposed to be nice and cool.

The only white I've done so far is Moosilauke but it was amazing. I hope to do Washington, Jefferson, and Adams this summer though.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.