[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air mattress vs Sleeping pad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 71kpVWPFhjL._SL300_.jpg (13KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
71kpVWPFhjL._SL300_.jpg
13KB, 300x255px
So a few weeks ago I went backpacking with a few friends and when I was on my way to pick up my friend I realized I left my sleeping pad home. Instead of me turning around my buddy said he had an extra air mattress similar to pic related. Once it was time to set up camp and call it a night, the difference in quality of sleep that night and every other time I'd spent on my shitty sleeping pad was worlds apart.. st a difference in weight that was hardly noticeable.

Can you bros with knowledge on the topic give me some pointers in best value, quality, weight, and durability for what air mattress and what size to look for?

I am fairly fit, 5'11, 175 lbs but I have a pretty wide back, my buddy's mattress that night he slept on was fairly wider than his old one he let me borrow for the night.
>>
Inflatable or self inflating? The thermarest xlite is amazing, packs really small and really comfortable - newer models dont crinkle much either. For self inflating id normally say thermarest too but sea to summit have released some new ones which look very similar in weight warmth and pack size but are thicker
>>
Different guy than OP but is there anything out there that is
>comfy
>at least moderately light
>at least moderately warm
It doesn't get too cold here and I don't mind a little extra weight, so I don't mind compromising a little in these aspects to save some money.
>>
>>1017088
Oops, meant to say these things and also fairly cheap.
>>
CCF pads and inflatable mats serve fundamentally different purposes:

Closed cell foam - purpose: infallible, guaranteed warmth. Comfort is minimal and not it's primary function.

Inflatable sleeping mat - purpose: Actual comfortable night's sleep (relative).
May or may not provide insulation.
Fallible and thus may not be sufficient for insulation depending on conditions.

>>1017088
The Thermarest neoair venture ticks all the boxes. Exceptional comfort for the price decent warmth. Very durable, have never worried about risk of puncture. Very little crinkling for a Thermarest.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/sleeping-pad/therm-a-rest-neoair-venture

Would probably shill out a few more sheckles for a sea to summit comfort plus or comfort plus insulated if I were to buy another mat.

If you need more insulation throw a 15dollar ridgerest under your mat. The R value will stack.
>>
File: 05-12-10.53.26.jpg (2MB, 2643x1982px) Image search: [Google]
05-12-10.53.26.jpg
2MB, 2643x1982px
>>1017084
OP here.
My sleeping pad is self inflatable, but it can't be more than probably 2 or 3 inches thick when inflated, you Can't compare it to the 5 or 6 inches (I'm guessing?) Of the inflatable one my buddy let me use.

I have to agree with >>1017088
I rather compromise on weight than on my rest at night. A good night's rest can make the hugest difference on your overall mood, and energy for the next day and rest of the trip. If possible is like to get something that isn't going to break the bank or overpay for a meme brand name, at the same time I don't want to buy some made in China pos that's going to break, rupture or malfunction just cause I wanted to save me some autismobux
>>
File: 20170512_090044.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170512_090044.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1017160
Thanks, will definitely look into this one
>>
>>1017070
>Sleeping pad

These will last longer and never give you trouble and not take up your time inflating or deflating.
>>
On a related topic, where can I buy fabric to make my own air mattress? I have an idea I want to prototype.
>>
>>1017070
>Short trips and very cold weather
Nemo Zor. Self inflating joby. It's warm and comfy enough.
>Longer trips 3 season
6 panel z-lite. Won't pop, warm enough and just comfy enough.
>>
Rei's brand of self inflating are pretty good for the price. I prefer air pads and use a sea to summit comfort light. Its pricey of course but uber comfortable.
>>
>>1017287
I believe that these things are still just made from fibre-impregnated vinyl. Since prototypes don't really need to be as durable, standard vinyl should do the trick. I'd also recommend one of those cheap hand-held sealers (like a press-and-seal, except without the vacuum) for joining your seams; everything else is going to look like crap.

Now that I think about it, I could probably make a pad for 1/10th of what they sell that shit for. Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>1017070
Are you a back sleeper or a stomach/side sleeper?
>>
>>1018402
Side, even face down sometimes. But if I'm tired enough I just pass out anyway as soon as I'm down on the ground.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.