[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fix this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 32

File: IMG_0141.png (357KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0141.png
357KB, 1553x1202px
Let's settle this once and for all.
>>
>>1015699
Though I've never been, I find it really hard to believe that the plains states should be so low.
I dunno if it's just because a bunch of anons are butthurt because there are no trees there or something.

I do think WA and OR should be higher though.
>>
>>1015699
Washington should be at least an 8 IMO. It has everything California has, but in a more easily accessible form with less people and less regulations. I can't speak for Oregon but it's probably the same honestly.
>>
Utah is accurate. Huge variety of different /out/, highly accessible public land, something to do every time of year as well.

>inb4 Mormons
>>
>>1015699
Upper midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan) should be way higher. The people in these places live, eat, and breathe the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, camping, snowmobiling....much more than some California hipster taking a single day mountain hike in their expensive jacket.

Illinois, indiana deserve 0s.

Dakotas and montana should be higher.

Texas should at least be on par with New Mexico.
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (4KB, 240x144px) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
4KB, 240x144px
>>1015717
>It has everything California has
>>
>>1015722
Never mind thought montana was lower
>>
>>1015699

Texas should have a higher score, say 3.5 or even 4. It may not have the deep woods of other states, but it still has plenty of variety. Few states can boast the ecological range that Texas has.

Hell, Big Bend alone is worth at least a point. Then you've got places like Enchanted Rock, North Padre island and the hill country.
>>
File: no.jpg (25KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
25KB, 500x344px
>montana
>idaho
>utah
>no ocean
>8
>mfw
>>
>>1015724

Washington might not have a direct analog for everything Cali has but it certainly has different things of the same caliber. California might have Yosemite but Washington has North Cascades, which is like Yosemite but 5x more rugged if you want to get anywhere truly beautiful like the Picket range.

California has the redwoods and sequoias but Washington has the Hoh rainforest, which is the only ecosystem like it in the country.

Also Mt. Rainier and all the other volcanoes.

The only thing I can thing of that California has that Washington doesn't is Death Valley, but who the fuck actually goes /out/ in Death Valley? It's only notable for being hot as absolute shit. As far as scenery goes, it isn't terribly special. Most of Eastern Nevada looks identical.
>>
>>1015732
>Ocean necessary for being /out/
>>
>>1015739
Can confirm, th Hoh can be otherworldly
>>
>>1015732

>Ocean
>/out/
>>
What is the criteria for a good score anyway?
>>
File: P1580743.jpg (553KB, 1240x930px) Image search: [Google]
P1580743.jpg
553KB, 1240x930px
>>1015739
and california has the high sierra which is like the north cascades but 10x more rugged and 30x bigger. not to mention, in addition to death valley
>jtree
>anzo borrego
>lake tahoe

>>1015740
>>1015744
it's not for everyone, but if you want to have the max score you have to have options for the people who want it.
>>
>>1015699
Post the template fucker
>>
>>1015744
>>1015740
>Ocean
>Not /out/
Literally the ultimate /out/ you fucking mongs.
>>
File: 2017-05-15 20.08.47.png (125KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-15 20.08.47.png
125KB, 600x400px
The red part is all graded the same I couldnt put numbers in all those small ass spots

Cant believe I took the time for this

Is it finally settled?
>>
>>1015832
Also hawaii is 9
>>
>>1015717
>Washington should be at least an 8 IMO
>>1015716
>WA and OR should be higher
agree with this both should be at least an 8
>>
Ohio should be a 7 at least.
>mountains and national parks
>woods all over
>lakes for fishing
>one of the best states for 2a
>>
>>1015860
It has exactly one national park, and it's in the middle of a fucking metro area. And no mountains, only foothills. Too much farming country to say it's filled with forests and great for fishing.

Michigan needs to be higher up. The UP is god tier
>>
File: civildiscussion.jpg (29KB, 463x383px) Image search: [Google]
civildiscussion.jpg
29KB, 463x383px
>>1015699
This has worked out well in the past OP
>>
>>1015870
>and it's in the middle of a fucking metro area
90% of ohio is farmland surrounded by woods. And our national park is amazing and not filled with tourists from the city like most others. Ohio is one of the best freshwater fishing states. We have thousands of creeks and rivers plus lake erie for boat fishing.
>>
>>1015832
I like this map
>>
File: 8071918396_ae7b005c15_b.jpg (651KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8071918396_ae7b005c15_b.jpg
651KB, 1024x683px
>New Hampshire 5

It's at least a 6
>>
>>1015717
>>1015739
I'm from Port Angeles, moved to California years ago. Washington is nowhere close to the outdoor diversity/access that California has. If CA is an 8 a 7 for WA is generous.

>>1015860
Yeah, no.
>>
> from CA
> moving to Seattle
> having second thoughts due to thread

Then again, Seattle is where MSR, REI, feathered friends, and a shitload of gear companies are based. Plus all the mountain guiding companies. Just sucks for altitude training since anything over 9000' is glaciated and you can't just run up them like mt baldy in la.

Maybe I should move to colorado
>>
>>1015832
Kentucky is 10
Nothing is below 5
>>
>>1015916
No fuck off, we're full.
>>
>>1015916

I live in Shoreline (just north of Seattle)

Don't listen to >>1015888

>>1015716
>>1015717
>>1015739
>>1015742
Have the right idea. Washington is awesome. If you have any doubts, just do some reading about the area, anon.
>>
>>1015924
Actually, never mind. Yeah, this. Also the summers are terrible.
>>
>>1015920
Duh, America the beautiful
>>
File: 4702.jpg (517KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4702.jpg
517KB, 640x480px
>>1015699
>Arkansas, home of the Boston/Ozark Mountains, and The Ozark & Ouachita National Forests a 3
>Missouri, with the other part of the Ozarks and the Mark Twain National Forest also 3
This is blatantly wrong. For both, at least a 6.5, 7 if you're being generous
>>
>>1015832
Arkansas & Missouri could be a little higher
Other than that looks promising thanks Anon for your hard work!
>>
>>1015699
No such thing as a low rated state for outdoor activity all of them are at least decent

This map is shit
>>
>>1015943
See
>>1015832
>>
>>1015937
>Mountains
""""""""""""" """'''''''''''''''''''''''"
>>
>>1015929
I've read a lot and backpacked/mountaineered a little in the north cascades. Nice thing about Los Angeles is that you have non technical 10,000-11,000' peaks within 2 hours drive, plus climbing in tahquitz and j tree. Then you have the whole Sierra 5 hours away, with 14ers that are just long walks in the summer. You can do glacier stuff on Shasta (hotlum), though that's far. I guess to get my hiking training in in WA I'll be doing laps on the small mtns.
>>
>>1015964

Well, if you're that hardcore about high altitude training then I guess California might be a better bet for you. What are you training for that requires frequent high altitude treks if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>1015929
>don't listen to the guy whose lived in both states, listen to me, the guy who has never left the place I was born and thinks it's the best!
>>
>>1015699
Washington is at least an 8
>>
>>1015832
>tfw marylandfag
>tfw wanna go ina woods
Feels bad.
>>
>New York 3.5

Almost everything north of the city is /out/ landscape.
>Western NY
>Adirondack Park

Should be more like a 6. Lots of good places, especially waterfalls.
>>
I live in alabama, and it really has some great places to be if you look.
>>
>>1015887
>>1015699

To add to this. VT should be AT LEAST equal to NH.
>>
>>1015832
Shilling for Utah

>dunes
>forests
>mountains
>lakes
>seasons
>everyone is near to being /out/
>high boy scout population

Has everything but ocean, plus lots of unique things that are rare (salt flats, mesa Verde, rock formations....)
>>
>>1015920
Seriously. Back yards in a typical rural Kentucky household are an /out/it's boner. The pennyroll reason, especially.
>>
>>1015832
>Kentucky is better than Alaska
>Oregon is better than Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, New Mexico and Idaho
Hmm...
>>
>>1016568
Nothing is better than Kentucky.

Greatest place on planet Earth.
>>
>>1015699
Why should Alabama and Louisiana score higher than Texas?
>>
I think it depends on what you're going for. Quantity of /out/? Quality? Variety? Accessibility?

Alaska, for instance, is extremely /out/, but there are not be some features that Arizona has. California has tons of variety, but you might be a 3-4 hour drive to get out to enjoy it.

I think there needs to be a more accurate, quantifiable method of scoring. For instance: How many biomes are in the state? What's the population density? How long does the average person have to travel? How restrictive are the laws regarding outdoor recreation?
>>
>>1015722
Hoosier here. I would agree with you about deserving a 0, but southern Indiana makes up for the rest of the flat farmland. I'd say a 1 or a 2 would be accurate.
>>
>>1015719
I'm a florida native. Every time I talk about moving to Idaho I get the mormon cult meme jokes. Wtf do people in 2017 think its 1850s or something?
>>
>>1015832
>florida and Hawaii 8s.

No. Theres nothing here. All gulf coast states suck for anything besides dirtbiking/off roading/boating
>>
>>1016728
They're thinking of Utah. Idaho is potatoes.
>>
>>1016737
Its kinda both. But the retarded memes need to die. Like florida is beaches... NO. its not. Its saw palm and pine trees and swamp.
>>
>>1015699
1. You need to understand that the way Americans approach their states, in every state, there are no 0's in this country, and very few 1's. Compare any state in America to some other countries and we have it pretty good in virtually every single state. It's also OK to have some states be a perfect 10. I don't want to see any 0's on this chart, though. That just means that you haven't done enough research.

2. There is no reason for Texas to be so low. Even if there isn't much public land, there are plenty of private parks, and if you get to know people who own private land, it's very common to go out on people's land to go hunting or camping. There's also Big Bend National Park in Texas when other states don't have any national parks. Additionally, there is a long coastline where you can fish from shore or go on any sort of adventure into the ocean.

3. Nevada, Arizona and Utah are all very similar in variety offered, but Arizona should get a bonus for accessibility to the average citizen and development of the state. I've lived in Arizona and currently live in Utah and if I want to find somewhere warm in the winter (I live in SLC), I need to drive around 4 hours. In Arizona, most people live in Phoenix. For a change of climate from Phoenix in the summer, you only need to drive about 2 hours to Flagstaff. Similarly, while there is a lot of public land in Nevada, the vast majority of it is very far from Reno or Las Vegas, both located practically on the state border. On the other hand, Phoenix is very central to the state, increasing accessibility of all the state has to offer.
>AZ -> 8.5
>UT -> 7.5
>NV -> 7

4. States like Montana, Alaska, Minnesota and North Dakota should be docked points for being so cold and hard to live in during the winter. Likewise, Washington should be docked a point for being rainy and nasty for such a long time during the year.
>>
5. You can't rate those big Midwestern states "0," while rating those tiny Northeastern states "1" or higher. There are plenty of local pastimes in the outdoors in all of these states. For example, you might not be able to climb mountains in Nebraska, but in the summer, you can go water-skiing, fishing, ATVing, dirt biking, canoeing, hunting, camping, etc. You can also drive across the state line into Wyoming, Colorado or South Dakota and it would be a shorter drive than if you lived in Missouri. Although I've never been, I have a very hard time believing that Rhode Island has more outdoors opportunities than the entirety of Oklahoma and almost the same as Texas??? Something is not right here.

6. Similarly, I don't believe that many of the other Midwestern or Southeastern states should be rated so low. Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas have LOTS of hiking, fishing, camping, boating, hunting and even adventure.

7. California should be docked points for being over-regulated. I've taken trips out there and it seems like you needed permits for EVERYTHING, even National Wilderness Areas. If demand was too high one day, then you couldn't get a permit and had to totally change your trip to go somewhere else. And they do patrol and check that you have permits (your permit money is put to good use, let's just say). Finally, the fact that traffic is so awful in many cities can turn a 150 mile drive into a 5-6 hour ordeal just to get out of the city and to your destination.

8. Colorado and Wyoming have a lot of similarities and differences. I agree that they should have about the same scores, but I'd rate them both much higher, maybe all the way to 10. Colorado is starting to suffer from crowds and over-regulation, but it gets a boost because of accessibility and abundance of trails, while Wyoming is objectively more "wild" with more opportunity for adventure.
>CO -> 9.5-10
>WY -> 10

>>1015832
Kentucky is not a 10 by any stretch. Too many problems with this map to list.
>>
>>1016817
>Likewise, Washington should be docked a point for being rainy and nasty for such a long time during the year.
>rainy and nasty

The rain in the PNW isn't bad, very manageable if you have a minimal level of experience and the proper gear I don't think it should account for docking a point
>>
>>1016817
>>1016819
>caring this much
lol. countdown to tripfaggotry has begun.
>>
>>1015732
>almost no wind
>searing hot weather

This man gets it.
>>
File: us.png (97KB, 1020x630px) Image search: [Google]
us.png
97KB, 1020x630px
I was kind of bothered that the average rating was like 3/10

Here is an adjusted version so that the average is five stars. with the very best being a ten and the very worst being a zero.
>>
>>1016830
I've been on /out/ since day one, since even before that when we were still requesting the board on /q/. I helped write the sticky and was the one who suggested to use the bear at the picnic table instead of another image. I have no intention of tripfagging, but there's nothing wrong with writing a thoughtful reply to a thread. I might write one sentence replies on other boards, but I almost always use the entire character limit on /out/, if a thread calls for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Lived in/trekked in all these places:

California (t. Home State bias) - needs a 6.5/7 for the invasive mess of the authorities, lack of gun rights, and native wildlife being culled away and replaced with LIQUID RAPE AKA MOUNTAIN LIONS. NEARLY KILLED MY DAMN UNCLE WHILE TRAILRIDING.

Wisconsin (pic related) - deserves at least a 6.5. Milwaukee and Madison are utter urban shit, but the further north you go, the more beautiful the rolling, wooded hills get and the more /out/-friendly people are (excepting the town of the KillMidgets). The lack of gear restrictions (knives, guns) definitely helps.

Georgia - population and murderfauna aside, a 4/5 would be on point. Not a lot of space to mess around, but it's nice in Fall and Winter when the weather isn't as oppressive and you can go find some abandoned shit. Cicadas will fuck your eardrums to death.

Colorado - dead on. Hippies can't climb.

Maine - only spent 3 weeks up there, but it's pretty nice. At least a 6. Lots of tourists in summer and fall, but lots of dead space filled with goddamn treeeeeees. Really looking forward to work bringing me back out that way.

Alaska - 11. Fucking Skyrim.
>>
>>1016828
>if you have a minimal level of experience and the proper gear I don't think it should account for docking a point
Maybe I'm just spoiled living in states where it's sunny most of the days of the year, but this doesn't sound like a great endorsement.... The people I have talked to who live in Seattle all say that the weather is nasty until about August 1, which is a pretty long off-season.
>>
>>1016856
ooh, in that case you should be a janitor here. i hear the pay's really good.
>>
>>1016864
You're pretty smart. Maybe you should take Hiroyuki's job.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 262x200px
>>1016857
Almost forgot:

Virginia/West Virginia - on point. If you like driving by and through rolling hills and wooded peaks, great. You want to explore? Tough shit. You're on someone's ancient hillbilly feifdom and blood honor demands retribution, because Millard Fillmore told their mule to kill nignogs and dandies for the Constitution.

Actually got warning shots overhead when I was 10 visiting family and the van blew a tire on the wrong road.

Arlington has okay food, though.
>>
>>1016819
Kentucky is the best place in the entire universe.

You clearly have down syndrome.
>>
>>1016860

I would say it's nasty if you live here only because seasonal depression is a bitch to deal with especially in the larger cities where you get to deal with no sun and a ton of people. As to the rain itself it's more like a constant downward rain instead of a heavy driving rain like what you would find from a thunderstorm, the trees will protect you especially in the pine forests
>>
>>1016873
Let me give you a couple examples of states I'm familiar with and their merits. Maybe you can learn from me and contribute a more mature comment to the thread next time. Even if you don't (and you probably won't), other people will read this, and maybe they can format comments for states they're familiar with similarly.

>Utah (assuming most people would live in Salt Lake City)
-45 minutes from world class skiing in the winter
-30 minutes from trailheads that lead to average NWA land (highly "wild" and you will see deer and mountain goats, albeit parts are within line-of-sight of the city)
-1 hour from BLM land (dispersed target shooting is OK)
-1.5 hours from very wild/"high adventure"/very scenic mountains
-30 minutes from average trout fishing, 50 minutes from world class trout fishing
-4 to 5 hours from Salt Lake City to either Yellowstone, Moab or Zion National Park

>Missouri (assuming most people would live in St. Louis area)
-20 minutes from very good trail biking (not quite "mountain" biking, though)
-30 minutes from a put-in for boating on Missouri, Meramec or Mississippi Rivers
-1 hour from decent hiking in state parks
-1.5-2 hours from slightly more wild hiking, which includes access to a long "through trail"
-1.5-2 hours from very good canoeing and fishing
-2.5 hours from great lake boating, where many people have second homes
-4 to 5 hours drive to Ozark Highlands in Arkansas

Instead of acting like a 4th-grader and slandering downies again, why don't you use the opportunity to explain why you think Kentucky is such hot shit?
>>
>>1016873
What does Kentucky have that Tennessee doesn't have better?
>>
>>1015870
Vouching for Michigan here. Friendly reminder that Detroit doesn't cover the whole state and that the Upper Peninsula contains only 3% of the population but 30% of the landmass
>>
>>1016877
I'm not saying that Washington is a low level outdoors state, but in a chart like this, I really think that all aspects of living there should be taken into account. Having lived in Utah after having lived in Arizona, I really think the length of the outdoors season is important. Even in Utah, yes, you can drive four hours or so and get to canyon country, but the climbing season in the mountains is relatively short. What kinds of things does Washington offer in the off-season?
>>
>>1016737
Acktually Idaho has a higher per-capita Mormon population.

But you're right, Idaho is known for potatoes while Utah is known for Mormons.
>>
>>1015888
I gotta disagree.

Name an area better for /out/ activities than the Olympic Peninsula (pro tip, you cant).

Top tier camping, hiking, hunting, spearfishing, surfing, off roading, skiing and rock climbing all within 90 minutes of eachother.
>>
>>1016959
Oh and I forgot world famous salt and freshwater fishing.
>>
>>1015699
>Kansas
>0
Literally 95% of this damn state is privately owned.
Fuck the white man and his property lines
>>
Montana is a 2 pls dont move here :^)
>>
where my 808 bois
>>
>>1015699
Give Oregon 9 because of Portland
>>
>>1015739
>the Hoh rainforest, which is the only ecosystem like it in the country.
Alaska has rain forests.
>>
Pennsylvania is better than 2
it has the Appalachian trail lake erie presque isle
allegeneny national forrest etc.
>>
Im going to need to experience every state objectively in order to provide accurate scoring.

Im going to need an anon from each state to host me for a week while we go on adventures. You'll have to pay my air fare.
>>
>>1016910
>>1016918
Red river gorge
Lake cumberland
Cumberland gap
Mammoth cave
Land between the lakes
Orgasmic weather
BLUEGRASS
daniel boone national forest
You can cross the whole state north, south, east, or west by walking through the woods

The list goes on and on and on and on

And I did rate Tennesee pretty high
>>
>>1015832
You must have voted for Drew Curtis, but this is still a great improvement. I'd buy you a julep
>>
>>1017040
You're simply listing everything you can think of instead of making a big picture comparison, which isn't informative at all. If we were making lists, entire books have been written about outdoors opportunities in almost all of the 50 states. This is an approach that not only isn't helpful, but you can't win.

See, I can do it too:
>https://www.nps.gov/state/ca/index.htm
That url links to a list of all of the national parks, preserves, monuments and national recreation areas in the state of California, a state you gave a grade of only 8/10. There are 34 federally-designated "outdoors" areas in that list, which doesn't include state parks, national wilderness areas, national forests, state forests, BLM land or any kind of private outdoors opportunities in the state. Compare just the list of federal parks to the measly 9 items in the list that you created, and using this kind of non-informative comparison, I might argue that Kentucky is only 25% as strong as California, and should therefore only receive 25% of the rating you gave California, which would be a 2/10.

Here's a book describing 107 worthy day hikes in the state of Illinois, a state you only graded 5/10:
>https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Illinois-2nd-Susan-Post/dp/0736074740/
Again, this is JUST day hikes. Calibrating your scale from Illinois, we can interpret 107 items in a list as warranting a 5/10 grade. Therefore, your list of only 9 items for Kentucky gives that state an adjusted power level of only 0.5/10, which is lower than the outdoors opportunities that might be offered in the steel-roofed, domed cities described in Issac Asimov's science fiction stories.

I strongly caution against this kind of approach and instead recommend a big picture approach, like I gave you two examples of in >>1016910, but which you ignored because you incorrectly thought you were too smart to just copy somebody else's format.
>>
Maybe try ranking them. Then we can argue about it in greater detail.

Points for:
>different /out/ places
>accessibility due to proximity
>accessibility due to climate and weather
>crowds
>>
>>1016839
>NH 6
>VT 4

Something here is terribly wrong.
>>
>>1017077
>he thinks he can quantitatively rate quality

HA.
>>
>>1016839
This is so fucked up.
>>
>>1015699
>that one purple 3 in North Dakota while the rest of the 3's are red
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1015699
Hawaii should be higher. Almost every biome on the planet with the best possible weather, big outdoor community. Only problems are cost and private property
>>
>>1017349
>inb4 muh tourism
There's more than one island, Oahu is the only tourist trap
>>
>>1015699
>PA
>2
Are you fucking retarded or what. Black Forrest of Pennsylvania, Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. Potter, Tioga, Clinton counties - Centralia - fucking silent hill irl and PA gets a 2

>inb4 butthurt amishnon
>>
Texas should be way higher
>>
File: Blank_US_Map_(states_only).svg.png (151KB, 1280x791px) Image search: [Google]
Blank_US_Map_(states_only).svg.png
151KB, 1280x791px
I made this last time I saw OP's image. California should probably get bumped up, but I couldn't resist poking at arrogant Californians.
>>
>>1015699
Butthurt Califag who's never been to the east coast spotted
>>
>>1015887
Land is super expensive though
>>
>>1017549
while i agree with the godtier rankings, putting maryland above washington is just dumb
>>
>>1017662
never mind, i'm a fucking retard
>>
>muh desert
>>
>>1017221
What do you think this thread is about? Did you open the OP's image???
>>
>>1017684
fuck off OP
>>
>>1017549
Anyone who doesn't put Washington as god-tier clearly hasn't ever actually been there.
>>
>>1017684
There is a difference between rating places by how beautiful they are and rating places by how many fucking trails they have
>>
>>1015731
>texas
>no deep woods
>>
>>1015916
>9000'
gl finding anything much over 7000 that doesn't have glaciers or at least snow into august
>>
>>1016922
skiing, anon. the snowiest place in the world is in the north cascades, and there are like three ski areas within a 2 hr drive of anywhere in the main population corridor. also ocean fishing I guess
>>
>>1017716
>your photo
>deep woods
>>
>>1017549
>Hawaii is only a 3
Haole fuck
>>
>>1015699
New York should be higher. It has three amazing parks ( Adirondacks, Catskills, Allegheny), each have great mountains. It has the best trout fishing on the east coast. It has two great lakes that pull out big fish. The upper Hudson is beautiful. Aside from NYC, NY is a 6
>>
>>1017947
This, the adirondacks are the best /out/ place on this side of the country.
>>
>>1016819
>7. California should be docked points for being over-regulated.
As a Californian I disagree. The over regulation shit is mostly limited to areas near the major cities. Personally I think that on the map California should get broken up into 3 sections. LA area, Bay area and Everything Else. Everything Else Scores high, LA scores Medium, Bay Area scores shit.
>>
>>1015699
Michigan and NY should be higher. I'm from Ontario and I've been to areas very similar to the upper peninsula and upstate NY.
>>
>>1017221
>>he thinks he can quantitatively rate quality
>HA.
>>1017700
>There is a difference between rating places by how beautiful they are and rating places by how many fucking trails they have
Are you totally immune to sarcasm? The point of my post >>1017077 went right over your head. I mean, fuck. Look at THE. FIRST. SENTENCE.
>You're simply listing everything you can think of instead of making a big picture comparison, which isn't informative at all.

HOW WAS THIS NOT OBVIOUS?
>>
>>1018293
>As a Californian I disagree. The over regulation shit is mostly limited to areas near the major cities.

I've planned a trip to Golden Trout Wilderness (never went) and it has a paid permitting system. That's very far from any major cities.
>>
>>1015699
>Oregon
>not 9.5
>Washington
>not 10
Literally kill yourself, fucking dumbfuck.
>>1015722
>Hunting, fishing, camping, snowmobiling
>fat fucks sitting in a tree holding a gun
>/out/
lolno
But yeah upper midwest is great for camping and hiking, at least if you go at a time of year when there aren't mosquitoes all the fuck over.
>>
>>1018412
Hey don't be a douchebag.

Either agree or disagree that beauty is abstract and quantity of trails is totally irrelevent.
>>
>>1018414
>waah, i had to pay $5 and can't ride a dirtbike
yeah, it's like fucking soviet russia here. you should definitely move to another state. i hear montana loves californians.
>>
>>1018423
Well as long as they don't find out you're a worthless ass californian it should be fine.
>>
>>1018420
If you could interpret sarcasm, you'd know exactly where I stand.
>>
>>1018423
1) You can't take dirtbikes into National Wilderness Areas.

2) You said that only the areas close to cities are over-regulated. I just gave an example that proved otherwise.

3) Nobody is saying anything about coping with fee-based permitting. Of course you can cope with it. Just plan to arrive at the Ranger Station within the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm, M-F, or 10:00am-4:00pm, Saturday, before the start of your trip, and hope that exactly 15 other people didn't already arrive there before you to take all of the day's permits to go around, so that you can secure a permit to legally go into the woods that weekend with the government's permission. Now that's what I call adventure!
>>
>>1018464
Is having to pay a small fee to fish really over-regulated, or just regulated enough?

It's good for the year and you can get it online or at pretty much any store near a place worth fishing.
>>
>>1018471
What are you talking about? Who said anything about fishing licenses?
>>
>>1018423
>>1018471
If you are the same poster, you are really a detriment to this board and you should feel bad about being such a terrible poster. Stop bringing up unrelated bullshit to "prove" your point. If you can't read what I wrote and respond on topic to what I actually said, then you need to just not respond at all.
>>
>>1018417
HEY
It takes a long hike to sit my ass in a tree while holding my gun
>>
>>1018463
>I was just being sarcastic

Hey, fuck off m8.
>>
I think FL should be dropped to like a 3.

Where the fuck can I /out/ and have a good time?
Way too many people here, and not a lot of places to go. Not to mention the heat, insects, and humidity here.
>>
File: 1304323236269.jpg (55KB, 450x507px) Image search: [Google]
1304323236269.jpg
55KB, 450x507px
>>1018586
Stop externalizing your frustration. It was VERY OBVIOUS sarcasm to make a point and I even explained why it wasn't good reasoning IN MY POST, and not hidden in parentheses. It would be impossible to read the post without understanding that you were about to read some sarcasm.

I mean, seriously. You fucking asshole. Just read the post you are SO outraged about. Actually read it this time to understand it. If you still don't understand it, then just kill yourself.

>>1017077
>You're simply listing everything you can think of instead of making a big picture comparison, which isn't informative at all.
Right there in THE VERY FIRST SENTENCE it tells you how to interpret my point. EXPLICITLY STATED. YOU CAN'T MISS IT UNLESS YOU ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE.

When you see stuff like this...
>See, I can do it too:
>>https://www.nps.gov/state/ca/index.htm
>That url links to a list of all of the national parks, preserves, monuments and national recreation areas in the state of California
>I might argue that Kentucky is only 25% as strong as California, and should therefore only receive 25% of the rating you gave California
...because you saw in the first sentence how I feel about this subject, you know to interpret it non-seriously. THAT'S THE POINT. I'm making fun of the other poster because he was basing his assessment of Kentucky off a list of 9 incongruous items. Sometimes satire is an appropriate response. Get over it.

And if you took the time to read through the whole post and you STILL didn't "get it," there was the last sentence where I stated clearly and seriously how you should interpret what I am saying.
>I strongly caution against this kind of approach and instead recommend a big picture approach, like I gave you two examples of in >>1016910 (You), but which you ignored because you incorrectly thought you were too smart to just copy somebody else's format.
Motherfucker, it doesn't get much clearer than that. Suck start a shotgun. 10/10 because I'm mad.
>>
>>1018595
I'm not frustrated. You seem very frustrated. It's not my responsibility to identify purposefully misleading text over the internet, you poor sorry little ant.

Get better communication skills. Perpetually being sarcastic is anti-social behavior.
>>
>>1018619
Kill yourself.
>>
>>1018801
I'm sorry that you're frustrated about your personality problems

:^)
>>
>>1015950
Plateau. :)
>>
>>1018811
>>1018822
Do you come to 4chan just so you can act like a 4 year old and then project your frustration onto others?
>>
>>1018834
First of all I'm not >>1018822

Second of all not in the slightest. Sorry bud.

I love how you keep saying I'm frustrated though. Really jogs the noggin. Lol.
>>
>>1015699
Yea PA should be at least a 4. Its super wooded and has some pretty "ok" overlooks on the AT. There are also some caves worth exploring on the AT. Super good fly fishing deep innawoods if you know how to find spots and there are even some cool out spots in the shit city of philly. Tons of farmland for superb shroomie pickins and erie in the corner. Lots of good out opportunities here if youre not afraid to drive out of the city. Lot of cool momnpop out stores errywhere too. No niggers in the wood is always a plus. And we got us some sweeerrt mountain roads for those late night snake road touge sessions
>>
>>1018834
He was memeing about the Ozarks not really being mountains, which is true. They aren't really mountains. They're a plateau. Though, he probably meant that they aren't large enough to be, but he was technically correct.
>>
>>1016830
>countdown to tripfaggotry has begun.
I kek'd
>>
>>1018941
In Arkansas, there is a prominent rim of a plateau, but the Ozarks are indeed the remains of ancient mountains. Study your geology better.
>>
>>1016819
>go water-skiing, fishing, ATVing, dirt biking, canoeing, hunting

this is /out/ not /whitetrash/
>>
>>1015832
This looks like the IGN style of ratings system, it starts at 5 and goes to 10... I know I know, I'll fuck off back to /v/ later
>>
>>1015699
New York has some incredible state parks, the finger lakes region, the beautiful Catskills, and everything you could be interested in from fishing and hunting to rafting and climbing. I would put it above a 3.5 for sure. You'd be surprised how much of New York is preserved or rural.
>>
What kind of West Coast shithead made this map? Texas has mountains, canyons, forests, hills, hunting, fishing, hiking, cycling, scenic roads and it gets a lower score than the disgusting swamps of Louisiana? There's even equally disgusting swamps and bayous in Texas if you want them too.
>>
>>1019220
Maybe you should read the sticky and take a look around you.
>>
>>1019239
>Texas has mountains
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1015699
Iowa has some nice hills desu, 2.5/10. Kentucky has great rock formations and is not too hot, 6/10
>>
File: 1471296859477.jpg (126KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471296859477.jpg
126KB, 480x800px
>>1015699
>Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Iowa
>all zeroes

Why though? I live in kansas and there seems to be alot of /out/ people. Compared to Colorado or Wyoming, sure, it'd be lower, but a zero?
>>
>>1019561
as a kentuckian i can confirm this is a more accurate score.
>>
>>1019562
The ecological diversity in those states consists of
1: Monoculture fields
2: No
>>
>>1019644
>Monoculture
Where did you learn to use this word without learning what it means?
>>
File: whitetail.jpg (44KB, 610x436px) Image search: [Google]
whitetail.jpg
44KB, 610x436px
To do this right we need to go to a finer resolution than "state."
Then we should establish some objective criteria for the ratings.
All the effort wasted on this autism could instead produce something useful.
>>
>>1019664
I'm just curious, but are you American or are you from some other country?

It doesn't seem to me like you fully appreciate Americans' sense of state pride, even after reading through the massive amount of dick waving autism in this thread already. We all have different levels of identity: our nation, our city, our neighborhood, our workplace, etc., but I would say that for most Americans, state identity is very often primary - and when secondary, only losing out to national identity. States are not just lines in the dirt to localize the government's administration of bureaucracy. Your state is part of your identity.

You might be surprised at how many secessionist groups there are in different states and how active they are. It's not even a political thing, this is common to both left and right wing people. I agree that we need to have actual criteria for this thread to work better, but for a lot of reasons, it doesn't make sense to get any finer grained than the state level.
>>
>>1015699
No state touched by the AT should be less than a 5.

Also, southern states have a lot of forest. Severely underrated.
>>
>>1015832
Kentuckian here, obv bias, but Kentucky is for sure 8+, fuck that other map.
This dude actually knows what's up.
>>
>>1015699
Wisconsin and Minnesota up to 8. Easily the best /out/ states in the Midwest.
>>
File: california.png (40KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
california.png
40KB, 500x600px
>>1018293
>I think that on the map California should get broken up into 3 sections. LA area, Bay area and Everything Else.
agree with 3 sections, but this is more accurate.
>>
i wanna see an innawoods survivability score map
>>
File: 1493601521007.jpg (4KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
1493601521007.jpg
4KB, 227x225px
>>1020486
>Wisconsin and Minnesota are on the same level as Montana and Idaho
>>
File: french faggot.png (30KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
french faggot.png
30KB, 450x450px
>>1020486
>best of the worst
>must be an 8!
>mfw
>>
>>1015699
>MN
>4

Nigger have you ever been? There's all sorts of places to go. Shit, you can go canoe into the BWCA and not see another human for a few weeks if you wanted to. MN should at least be a 6, but it would easily be a 7.5 if it weren't for the fucking mosquitoes.
>>
>>1021040
>There's all sorts of places to go
>this lake
>that lake
>this other lake
>that other lake
>oh, and the lake over there
talk to me when your faggot state has a little more variety.
>>
>>1021047
>tfw living in Arizona and the only lakes are either big reservoirs in the desert used primarily by sport/motor-boaters, or else small ponds located on the White Mountain Apache Reservation that freeze over in the winter and you have to deal with Indian police in the summer

You sound spoiled on lakes.
>>
>>1021047
Lakes are the shit, boy. And MN has small-scale falls and a lot of rivers and great forests. Sure, it lacks desert, ocean, and mountains, but it has everything else in spades as far as I'm concerned.

PS - I don't live there so it's not my faggot state, just a faggot state.
>>
File: temple crag.png (94KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
temple crag.png
94KB, 259x194px
>>1021056
>You sound spoiled on lakes.
yup.
>>
>>1021058
>Sure, she lacks looks, personality, and intelligence, but she has everything else in spades as far as I'm concerned.
see how dumb you sound?
>>
File: State+of+wonders111614(036.jpg (1MB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
State+of+wonders111614(036.jpg
1MB, 1350x900px
>>1021040
You're an idiot, my friend. 75% of Minnesota is flat farm land. 25% of Minnesota is a 6 (the northern part), but the rest of the land is a 0. Cold as fuck in the winter, hot and humid in the summer, no mountains, terrible mosquitoes, shallow warm lakes where the fish taste like shit, chocolate milk rivers often because it rains so much and the soil is muddy rather than rocky, no elk, hardly any state land at all in the bottom 2/3 making all the hunters have to hunt in tiny wildlife management areas where you're literally within 150 yards of another hunter at all times... yeah OP's image is pretty spot on. I grew up in Minnesota and it fucking sucked dick. I remember the first time I went to Montana to visit my grandparents and I was fucking blown away. I remember feeling like I was on a different planet. Minnesota and the surrounding states do not even come close to the western states. pic related, what most of Minnesota looks like
>>
>>1015860
Ohio is probably the worst state aside from maybe Iowa. Sure it has lake Erie, but it's the side of lake Erie that doesn't get deeper than 15 feet and is full of massive algae blooms that make it more or less a huge slurry ditch. Ohio makes me depressed.
>>
>>1015699
NC should a 7, we've got the best section of the Appalachians, plus the outer banks are based.
>>
>>1015860
>>1015870
>one national park
>implying our state parks aren't GOAT

Hocking Hills is fucking great matey, its easily top 10 state parks in US. Also a shit ton of rivers and lakes
>>
>>1022057
Southeast Ohio is where its at. I live in Columbus though and Alum Creek and Highbanks are pretty good.
>>
>>1016728
Former Florida resident, current Utah resident: I'd take the Mormons over the southern baptists any day.
>>
File: Thielsen OR.jpg (1MB, 4174x2783px) Image search: [Google]
Thielsen OR.jpg
1MB, 4174x2783px
Oregon and Washington both need at least 8s
>>
File: 3635754756.jpg (981KB, 1610x1092px) Image search: [Google]
3635754756.jpg
981KB, 1610x1092px
Here we go~!
>>
File: *banjo noises intensify*.jpg (107KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
*banjo noises intensify*.jpg
107KB, 900x563px
REE-ing due to TN/MS ranks. Matter of fact, the whole South needs to be changed. On the mississippi Tennessee border it's a practical 3rd world country once you get out of Memphis. well, it's one inside of memphis too but you know what I mean. Take a five mile walk any direction and you've reached robin hood territory.
>>
>>1022683
And God Praise the TVA
>>
>>1022681
>wowzers
Kek
>>
Virginia should be a 8 easily.

Hunting in the mountain.
Fishing everywhere from little streams to big rivers to the bay.
Camping everywhere.
The AT.
Skyline Drive.
The beach.

The only thing it doesn't have is pretty women.
>>
>>1015699
>Both Virginias at 3
>Pennsylvania so low

Lmao
>>
Colorado is great, provided you ignore the eastern plains, which are pretty much an extension of Kansas and don't contain much of anything at all.

New Mexico isn't bad either. Some truly beautiful desert scenery, mountains and skiing...Cibola National Forest is also beautiful.

Most of the southwest is pretty god-tier when it comes to /out/ opportunities.
>>
File: USA.gif (2MB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
USA.gif
2MB, 400x247px
>>1022774
>ignore the eastern plains
another example of why state boundaries are useless

does it make sense to lump the Florida Keys in with the panhandle? etc
>>
>>1015732
Montana.
I always /out/ next to pristine rivers and streams.
30 minutes in any direction, deep forest.
I will never leave this state.
>>
File: Wrong.jpg (56KB, 542x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.jpg
56KB, 542x400px
>>1015699
>Maine 5
>New Hampshire 5
>Vermont 4
>New York 3.5
>Kentucky 2.5
>West Virginia 3
>>
File: MO pop density.png (62KB, 350x260px) Image search: [Google]
MO pop density.png
62KB, 350x260px
Missouri is great fggts. You just can't be in the red places.
>>
>>1017549

only west Wyoming is /out/

East is ugly as fuck
>>
West Virginia ahould be way higher. Half the state is a national park and if you have a gun you shouldn't need to worry about the pillheads in the woods.
>>
>>1023859
Isn't West Virginia basically an industrial dumping ground?

Hyperbole, but I've heard they do have huge environmental problems.
>>
Ok as someone who actually lives in the Midwest plain states, Illinois specifically, I can personally say that this shit doesn't deserve anything higher than a fucking 1.

Sure hunting may be ok here, but only In very controlled areas or privately own land, which rarely ever is even 60 acres. Plus half of it is done in corn fields or in brush bordering said corn fields.

Anything here remotely /out/ worthy is nothing more then a facade of nature. I don't think there is a single point in this state that you can be more than a mile away from the nearest human, and if there is then you are standing in the middle of a corn field.

In case you couldn't tell I hate it here /out/ wise, but job pays good enough money to keep me here
>>
Are there any nice woods in FL?
>>
>>1015929
Dude I was just driving through Shoreline the other day. How crazy is rent in that neighborhood?
>>
Arizona should definitely be at least a 7.
>>
Maine needs to be much, MUCH higher... At least an 8. It remains the most beautiful land and nature I have seen so far. It has mountains, the ocean, deep forest, beautiful coastal towns, and even a damned desert.
>>
>>1015699
Having lived in Oklahoma, it definitely deserves at least a 3: the Wichitas (near Lawton) have some pretty great hiking, and the wilderness to the north/northeast is beautiful (Ouachita national forest starts in that area).

And how the fuck do you justify giving Colorado a 7? A 7?? It deserves, minimum, an 8.5 (especially if Hawai'i only gets a 6)
>>
I currently live in VA and I agree that it's pretty shit, but West Virginia is at least a 4 or 5, blue ridge ain't so bad. I'm planning on going to school at UC Boulder if I get in, any anons go there or know how good the /out/ community is there? Worried it's just going to be rich kids that only want to get high.
>>
>>1015731
This
>>
>>1015832
is oregon really > california?
>>
>>1018417
>when there aren't mosquitoes everywhere.
So in the winter when it's 20 below?
t. From northeast wi
>>
>>1015716
I dont understand wtf is going on. /outn00b.
>>
>>1027340
California doesnt have crater lake now does it?
>>
Minnesota should be way higher, at least a 6.5. It has a good diversity of biomes (plains, wetlands, deciduous forest, coniferous forest,) and there are lakes fucking everywhere. Lots of the north and northeastern parts of the state have some sweet rock formations for climbing, and many lakes in that area are crystal clear and deep with beds of rock. Also, the boundary waters is one of the best wilderness areas in the country. In the summer it's nice enough, the rock formations are beautiful and it's great for canoeing. But during the winter, it's another story. It's absolutely barren, I've never heard a silence so profound. Head a few days in, stand out in the middle of a frozen lake at night, and watch the northern lights. To me, that's as good as life gets.
Sincerely, a butthurt Minnesotan.
>>
File: 1476737249182.png (347KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
1476737249182.png
347KB, 800x850px
which one of these states would be safe to go /innawoods/ without fear of getting shot? I'm of mexican descent. should i actually be cautious when camping in certain states or is it all propaganda? I've lived in jew york my entire life
>>
>>1028138
>I'm of mexican descent. should i actually be cautious when camping in certain states or is it all propaganda?

It's propaganda. Just don't act like little cuck bitch.
>>
>>1015731
I agree. There are light mountains, deserts, plains, plenty or rivers and fishing, hunting absolutely everywhere, Big Bend, as you said already, is awe-inspiring by itself, deep piney woods, swamps and bayou, relatively temperate but snows if you're into that sort of thing, hundreds of miles of coastline and a pretty well-funded parks program. It's pretty spaced out but if Alaska gets an 8.5 then 1.5 for The Lone Star State is a bs score
>>
>>1028121
>plains
flatlands
>wetlands
boggy flatlands
>deciduous forest, coniferous forest
flatlands with trees that would be considered bushes in real states

get the fuck outta here with that weakass gopher bullshit
>>
>>1022946
West Virginia and Kentucky are amazing, people who made this chart have clearly just never been there and imagine trailer parks. Look up Cave Run in Kentucky, shit.
>>
>>1022681
I think this is the best version of the map by far.
>>
>>1015699
Oregon should be an 8 or 9.
Utah should be a 2 because of skinwalkers.
>>
>>1022683
Name some cool trails to check out
>>
File: 1461963311782.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1461963311782.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>1022681
>that rant at the bottom
I didn't even notice it at first
>>
File: 2014-09-19-134137-DSC_4707.jpg (139KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-19-134137-DSC_4707.jpg
139KB, 1024x678px
>>1015699
You really can't beat a sign like this.
>>
>>1015699
>appalachia
>scores that low
wow, the pnw hippie bias sure is real
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.