[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1492377465336m.jpg (182KB, 1024x702px) Image search: [Google]
1492377465336m.jpg
182KB, 1024x702px
How much land do you need to be self-sufficient for food? To have a semi well balanced diet for 12 months in zone 7, it has to be possible, right? How did people survive in the days before the industrial revolution as small subsistence farmers?
>>
>>1015575
1. Start with good soil. Don't got it? Make it with good cover crops, rotational grazing, tilling, fertilize with compost or manure. Think smaller animals starting out (chickens, goats, rabbits, ect) Give it a few years. (Or go easy mode with raised beds)
2. Determine how much you want to eat from the land. About 2000 cals for the average person. Find what plants grow well and have the caloric density to make them worth the trouble. Look up staple in your area (grains and tubers are the biggest and I suggest both should one fail.
3. Plant veggies that grow well in your area. This will provide a lot of vitamins for you and bring some life to your plate.
>>
>>1015587
4. Remember those chickens and rabbits you used to help fertilize the soil? Well, they also can providentify sustainable food if you raise them with some forward thinking. Think eggs mainly from chickens and look up meat rabbit breeds. (Buy enough to prevent inbreeding for a few generations)
4. Where can you store food without electricity? Youtube old storage techies for both plants and meat. Dig an old root cellar.
5. Collect rainwater runoff to water your plants.
6. Go fishing and hunting for what you can. Game was a lot more prevalent durine the 19th century though.
I'm trying to do this as well on 6 acres in North Carolina
>>
>>1015595
I can grow about 80 percent of my family (wife, 2 kids under 5 with another in the way) on less than 2 acres but I also have planted an acres worth of fruit trees this year from the arbor day foundation so it could be a few years before I get several more tons of fruit from that. This is just about an hour a days worth of work, and maybe 2 or 3 hours on the weekend. Let your system work for you and don't try getting it perfect, just functional and simple.
>>
>>1015601
Oh and I could grow 100% plus some if I didn't have a job and could just spend all day farming and spending time with my family. But I have a mortgage and you don't pay ye bills with fresh eggs and watermelon
>>
>>1015575
Zone 7 varies a lot. Which state?
>>
>>1015575
Define "well balsnced"
>>
>>1015575
>Wrath of Gnon
Based
>>
>>1015611
NC. Between Fayetteville and Raleigh.
>>
>>1015614
Dude, your gold. Sweet potatoes for life.
>>
>>1015613
Extra comfy incoming
>>
File: tumblr_o483hhALUP1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg (267KB, 1280x693px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o483hhALUP1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg
267KB, 1280x693px
>>1015624
>>
File: CistNVzUgAE5Dgm.jpg (116KB, 600x733px) Image search: [Google]
CistNVzUgAE5Dgm.jpg
116KB, 600x733px
>>1015625
I've got a few dozen of these. I love them.
>>
>>1015614
Grow some pipe tobacco
>>
>>1015575
Many wouldn't without a network of people who supported each other
>>
File: 1493531784075.png (25KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1493531784075.png
25KB, 440x440px
>>1015613
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.