[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are jetboils a meme??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

Thinking of buying one of these for a few overnight camping trips... I'm tired of only eating trail mix, protein bars, and dried foods. But is this really my best option? Is it only good for boiling water or can I heat other items such as canned soup or pasta in it?
>>
>>1014214
Depends how long you are /out/ for and where you are going. I prefer alcohol stoves as I can refuel wwaayy easier on longer trips in more remote places. Plus you can make a penny stove and it'll weight next to nothing.
>>
File: WhisperLite_International.jpg (48KB, 532x450px) Image search: [Google]
WhisperLite_International.jpg
48KB, 532x450px
anything with a canister is a fucking scam. buy pic related and run it on white gas, kerosene, or gasoline.
>>
>>1014238
This.

MSR running on a litre of petrol (yeah britbong here) lasted me and my daughter an entire week of cooking with quite a bit left over.

Easy to swap between fuels with a nozzle change.

Can get fuel near enough wherever there are other humans in the world.

Gotta say I do like making penny stoves out of old beer cans to amuse fellow travelers who have never seen it done before.
>>
File: Yama no Susume.png (670KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Yama no Susume.png
670KB, 852x480px
>>
>>1014214
They do what they're supposed to. I opted for the msr windburner but it's all about preference. They're really just for boiling water so if you want to do any real cooking then there are better options. As far as fuel goes, iso-pro cans are a little more user friendly but white gas platforms are more versatile in that they'll burn on almost any fuel and are refillable.
My hikes are mostly under a week long and a large can of iso-pro is usually plenty unless the wifey and kiddo are with me.
If you're wanting to eat freeze dried, pasta/rice packs, oatmeal and have some coffee or tea then the jetboil is fine.
>>
File: backpacker-stove1157-listing.jpg (29KB, 475x386px) Image search: [Google]
backpacker-stove1157-listing.jpg
29KB, 475x386px
got me one of these OP.
fuel is dirt cheap, stove was pretty cheap, lots of capacity but not that light. I am a pretty hard cunt so zero fucks given.
>>
File: FLASH-CBN_FLASHCARBON-001.png (108KB, 1150x1150px) Image search: [Google]
FLASH-CBN_FLASHCARBON-001.png
108KB, 1150x1150px
I have a jetboil minimo, it works pretty well. If you want to just boil water, the cheaper jetboils work just as good. If you want to cook soup or simmer anything, the minimo has a better regulator.

There are other products out there, but the jetboils are reliable, and have a decent warranty. There's nothing wrong with them at all.

As for a small alcohol stove, they are nice, but not quite as safe, and some areas do not allow them to be used.

Go ahead and buy a jetboil, just find one on sale. I think you'll like it just fine.
>>
>>1014238
OP, this is a much better choice. You can put anything that burns into it or use cuck gas cans.
>>
>>1014238
best stove I ever bought, there is no comparison
>>
>>1014214
I used to work at Sierra Trading Post and with my employee discound I got one for a friend for $50. Still prefer something with a better regulator. MSR Whisperlites all the way.
>>
>>1014238
Fourthed.
Mine is going on 18 years old, however I've only run white gas through it, just cleaner that way.
Small bottle lasts at least a week for one person.
>>
>>1014214
3 years back they were the only thing of it's type, now there are a plethora of similar stoves using the same heat exchanger technology. at this point I'd be shopping around-I've got a JB Flash and JB Minimo but compared to a Primus lite+ the build quality is shockingly poor and most competitors can be bought for around half the price of a JB in the UK

as a kettle they are great but are shite to actually cook in unless you have a newer one that you can control the heat output. The newer Minimos are easy to use though I cook on mine all the time. the gas run isn't as efficient as just boiling water though, you get about an hour's cook time out of a 100g gas can whereas I'd get about 18 boils of 500ml just using it as a kettle
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.