[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming Self-Reliable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: 1494395236230.jpg (175KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
1494395236230.jpg
175KB, 1024x673px
Anyone else dream of being as close to independent as possible? Growing your own food? Having a water source? Knowing which plants make goof medicine? Growing your own pipe tabbaky, ect. I really want to start a small community of like minded people somewhere, where we all chip in for a good deal on land but divide it for each other and build a strong network.
>>
>>1013953
Did you watch the second Jordan Peterson- Joe Rogan interview. Holy shit that guy is amazing to listen to. I actually got goosebumps several times durine that podcast. Either way, I think I am going to finish sorting myself out on where I am at in life then do exactly what your talking about. Man needs to reawaken his dormant logos within nature.
>>
File: 1491853939249.jpg (20KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1491853939249.jpg
20KB, 500x625px
I listen to JP while hiking. Love him. Very inspiring
>>
>>1013977
Did he say this?
>>
>>1014015
I want to say no. He talks about embracing and understanding what you are truly capable of, but haven't heard him say to "love it".

Either way, OP how do you see this process happening?
>>
>>1014021
OP. Well. I'm looking at buying a few acres that has a water source on it. Wanting to go in with some friends who want a life like that also to raise family. -ie out of the urban/suburban areas. To live the the sweat of our own brow basically and raise a family in a close knit group
>>
>>1013953
me and some friends are all gonna buy land and do this together. i am gonna have sheep, one of my other friends will just grow food (he's vegetarian), someone else will do aquaculture, etc. we will all contribute to afford to pay off the land.
>>
>>1014042
That is really smart. Let everyone work a niche they enjoy and all can contribute and share voluntarily. Badass
>>
I cant believe how quickly he is becoming a household name.
Pretty compelling speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbjmIajj9g
>>
>>1013953
>Being near people that aren't your family
>Communism
Please stop this I'm going to be sick
>>
>>1013977
Nice pic.
>>
>>1016083
Capitalist pig.
>>
>>1016321
You can have a capitalist commune
>>
>>1016756

But most aren't economically viable. The problem is that when everybody chips in, people start slacking off. You may all own equally, but you won't contribute equally.

Clearly divided responsibilities and expectations can make up for this, but if you aren't going to trade then you need someone clearly in charge who can crack the whip.

Remember, you're all doing this for autonomy, but the way you're settling down, you will all be very interdependent.
>>
JP is a very inspirational and smart man.
But he said Trump is very smart. I don't agree with that in the slightest rofl.
>>
>>1017494
I can't tell if you know that your agreeing with him on the capitalist commune or not and it's honestly confusing me...
>>
>>1017497
Dumb people do not succeed like trump has.
He may be an nsane clown but he is by no means stupid
>>
>>1017656
>Get born into wealth
>Get primed/groomed to do some algorithmic work based on successful formula
>Repeat n times, also become involved in popular culture, diversify
>Have an entourage which writes your life/script for you

Wew, he sure is an autonomous person! What a clearly not stupid person.
No, Trump is stupid. If you're handfed everything in life and you've been taught the ins and outs of how to run top tier shit and know how it's done there, than it's a piece of cake. His presidency is showing how utterly incapable he is of doing actual shit that matters because he doesn't know how to go off his script, even with his entourage still with him. Foreign territory for this man is where he drowns.
>>
>>1013953
>>1013962
>>1013977
>>1014806
>>1017497
JP is overhyped first-year philosophy class tier.

If you have any sort of higher education at all then he's not going to tell you anything you don't already know.
>>
>>1017661
You are wrong. He might not be the smartest president ever but his IQ is at least north of 120 or so.
Bush was 126, not brilliant but far from stupid.
The left imagines everyone on the right is under 100 IQ.
This is amazing confirmation bias at work
>>
>>1017758
So I guess that's why he is attracting so many college males to his talks? Or was invited by the Canadian senate to testify in regards to c-16? Guy is very smart and able to articulate things in such a way that resonates with large groups of the population. He may be speaking at a university level, but isn't that were we should be having these talks? Or would you prefer to keep it at the sophomoric level?
>>
>>1017758
Failed philosophy major detected.
>>
>>1013953
This board is one of the youngest / poorest / most butthurt boards

Every other thread is how to be a loser with no income / why society is ruined / autistic fantasy land (this thread)

The way to become independent is to become successful financially. It is financial prowess and responsibility that enable independance.

Want to call all the shots? Decide where you live? Where your kids go to school? How many kids you can have and whether your wife can stay home to nurture them?

Get a good career, wait to have kids until you have the career and income and maturity necessary, find a good woman who shares your values and is loyal. Be frugal and create yourself a fortress of powerful friends, assets and investments so that no one can touch you. That's independence. That's the way to live life the way you want and have the power to change you and your loved one's destiny.

I'm surrounded by losers. I love backpacking that's what keeps me coming back here. None of you little bitches are results driven, you're immature idealists with good intentions, also know as left / progressives. That's why you hate businessmen and others who succeed. To quote the Almighty Pook: "You are not free to be nothing. Nature has given you a gender, one you did not choose. You must act like a man, look like a man, and be a man. If you refuse to do so, you will not attract the women you want, and Nature will burn your life with melancholy."
>>
I will just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Hez7iYAHo
>>
>>1018772
Oh fuck off. Stop forcing a narrative down the collective board's throat, some people want different things out of life. Such as to prove to themselves they can live as independently as possible; some just like to talk and think about it

If you have to posture about your masculinity on an anonymous imageboard; you are definitely very far from that ideal
>>
>>1018803
No you fuck off
I didn't start this, the rest of you did.

And by the way, I didn't mention myself as in what I do how much I make what I do with my family etc. Im not posturing; I'm bitching about the state of this outdoors board, and I'm trying to lay down my definition of actual independence.

The masculinity quote is based on the male trait of independence / self reliance
>>
>>1013953
We bought ten acres ten years ago.
The goal was to be as self-sufficient as possible.
Made 1, 3, 5, 10 year plans.
We now have a well, orchard, animals, gardens, trees, brambles, fences, out buildings, wood stove, cisterns, radio net, bikes, etc.
We're still working on the greenhouse, root cellar, aquaponics, and solar.

We also originally thought that we wanted to get into a group of like minded people, until we found out that individualists generally don't do too well in groups. Go figure. Too many Alphas. Same thing with the group land buy. Those who barter tend to have less than ideal credit ratings. That's why the stories always start out with the eventual hero winning the lottery or inheriting a small fortune / family farm with no liens and back taxes.

Better to have a loose mutual assistance group of similarly-accomplished people you can trust to leave you alone until you all need each others help. Go slow and patient, though. Lots of undercover leeches out there. You'll find each other when you stop actively looking.
>>
I've done a lot of work and thinking about getting independent. My opinion is that the entire concept of self-reliance is best done on a mostly financial level. Going off-grid is a ton of work for very little payoff.

There's a blogger called Ran Prieur who has a writeup on his experiments becoming off-grid and ditched the "grow your own food" pretty quickly. Instead, he says having a cheap on-grid home in city outskirts is by far the most efficient way of doing things and I definitely agree. Far enough to get you out of the hustle and bustle, but close enough that things like emergency services and groceries aren't an issue. Google him and give his stuff a read, especially how he organizes his housing.

BTW, in my mind, housing is the most critical piece to the entire plan. People spend more on that than any other single cost in their lives, so look first to optimize the cost/benefits there.

but in general, you're far better off spending your energy learning finance/investing and just buy what you need from that income.
>>
>>1019217
>People spend more on that than any other single cost in their lives

This is why i live inna van.
I take home about 1200 bucks a week and save almost all of it.
>>
>>1019390
That's good for the short-term, absolutely. But after awhile, I'm sure you'll want to look at other less limiting options.
>>
>>1019093
See, I forget this can be a longer process. I'm very action oriented so I just want to do everything up front and suck up the financial punches. How do you feel about how long the process is taking? You got amy designs for a greenhouse/root cellar?
>>
>>1017609

That they're possible? Sure, Israel still has a few (heavily government subsidized).

I'm telling OP that his plan while not outright impossible is very, very hard, probably won't be economically sustainable, and won't solve any of the life problems he has that he thinks this will fix.
>>
>>1019422
How is a moving bedroom limiting?
>>
>>1013953

I'd love to have a house with land but I wouldn't want to have to rely on farming for my existence. Incredibly hard work 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week. At the complete mercy of the elements. Too much rain or not enough = completely fucked.

If you think you're going to be sitting in your rocking chair chewing tebaccy, you're as far wrong as you can be. There's a reason people moved into cities.
>>
>>1019422
>>1019754
Dude, not cool. Leave the poor guy alone. He obviously has bills and responsibilities that require him to be stuck in the same place working year after year and isn't able to just get up and go wherever he wants at the drop of a hat like we can. Wagecucks deserve our pity, not to be taunted relentlessly by constantly reminding them that we get to enjoy 12 months of vacation every year.
>>
>>1014042
How much is the land per acre? Desert land is appealing to me but I know it's mostly useless
>>
>>1019831
>Desert land is ... useless
Check out Slab City's East Jesus. There's a growing community there that focuses primarily on sustainable agriculture in the California desert. Also, the land there is "free".
>>
>>1019823
I sense heavy irony in this, however anon if you'd just crane your four necks just a liiiiittle bit up towards >>1019390; you'll see this guy is earning just a smidge more than anything a government check hands out.
>>
>>1019904
Why does it matter how much he earns? I probably made less than 1200US in the last year, but since I don't have a mortgage or bills, that's all spending money. When I worked full time and payed rent, a car payment, various insurances and whatnot, I had less than 100/mo for myself. So without working anything other than the occasional odd job, I end up with the same amount of spending money that I had when I worked full time, but now I get to spend all my time fishing and hanging out at the beach instead of sitting in a cubicle.

If you're upper middle class or above, keep on working for sure, but if you're working class and don't get to keep any of your money anyway, you might be better off not working in the first place.
>>
>>1019904
1200 american a week is not bad for a blue collar job where I live.
Do you live in silicon valley?
>>
>>1019458
You cant just throw money at every problem
>>
>>1018772

Who is Almighty Pook?

I searched for the entire quote and the name on Google and could not find it.
>>
File: pook.jpg (44KB, 586x445px) Image search: [Google]
pook.jpg
44KB, 586x445px
>>1020684

Oh, found him on twitter just now.
Here's some more quotes from the almighty, his twitter is full of top tier preaching.
>>
>>1020692
>>1020692

dude...

https://bookofpook.neocities.org/
>>
>>1020778

So first of all that twitter Pook is not the same guy? And the real pook is a self help, PUA artist?
Not to shit all over your red pills but I am still confused.
>>
>>1020800
disregard everything except for the link I gave you
>>
>>1020820

I have looked at some of it, and while it was better than the twitter profile its not really a solution to all problems.
Looks like most of it is a goal on success with women through the means of self improvement. Also looks like this happened on the "sosuave" forums and also shares a lot of PUA lingo.

Now I'm not sure if you're >>1018772 but I dont feel reading this guys diary is enough to project this hard.

While I agree with the sentiment of the message it is clear that youre trying to AMOG here while not recongnizing that there are more ways to rome, so to speak.

True independence is subjective and cannot be gauged by financial status alone. Calling /out/ists young, poor and butthurt while quoting TRP e-celebs shows you are not following what they have been preaching
I'm trying to say "stay humble" I guess.
>>
File: djenne garden.jpg (585KB, 1200x920px) Image search: [Google]
djenne garden.jpg
585KB, 1200x920px
>>1018772
>This board is one of the youngest
What's wrong with that?
>poorest
Tons of gear threads posting and recommending expensive things
>most butthurt boards
I find that most people here are actually pretty nice and super helpful.
>Every other thread is how to be a loser with no income / why society is ruined / autistic fantasy land (this thread)
Human beings are drawn towards their fundamental origins, some more than others. It makes sense that those who feel strongly about nature would gather here and share in what is actually a wonderful appreciation for the natural world and a simple lifestyle. Believe it or not anon, some people value different things than you.
>The way to become independent is to become successful financially. It is financial prowess and responsibility that enable independence.
Other things have to happen first for a lot of people before they can get their life in order and make income. Plenty of folks here have dealt with injuries, disease, loss, disaster, etc, and lots of them find the outdoors as a way to heal. Clearly this type of struggle is outside of your experience. Not a judgement, just an observation.
>Want to call all the shots? Decide where you live? Where your kids go to school? How many kids you can have and whether your wife can stay home to nurture them?
Of course.
>Get a good career, wait to have kids until you have the career and income and maturity necessary, find a good woman who shares your values and is loyal. Be frugal and create yourself a fortress of powerful friends, assets and investments so that no one can touch you. That's independence. That's the way to live life the way you want and have the power to change you and your loved one's destiny.
No one is arguing with you about any of this. We simply acknowledge that this isn't the right path for everyone.

Growing your own life well is admirable, but getting angry at others for not doing the same is foolish. You can't judge what you don't understand.
>>
>>1013953
If you're Australian, move to Tasmania, its realllllly cheap for land. 38,000 for like 100 aches. It's really cheap but if you're Australian.
>>
File: 1495434793943.png (234KB, 447x352px) Image search: [Google]
1495434793943.png
234KB, 447x352px
>>1021723
I agree.
>>
>>1021861
Is there water on this land or just desert?
>>
>>1017758
he is giving more depth to a subject you go over, most universities fly right into post structuralism, he just hovers over Jung
>>
>>1017661
sour grapes/10
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.