[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tick Season

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: dicks.png (379KB, 985x710px) Image search: [Google]
dicks.png
379KB, 985x710px
Due to the warm winter, this summer will be a bad tick season, especially for us NE guys.
Why? The powassan virus

>symptoms of infection can include fever, headache, vomiting, weakness, confusion, seizures, and memory loss
>can also cause your brain to swell
>1/10 chance of dying
>no vaccine or medication to treat it

https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/
https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/symptoms.html

Stay safe anons. Don't leave the tick repellent in the car.
>>
>>1013445
Fuck ticks. First they were just an annoyance. Then came Lyme Disease. Now these motherfuckers can make you allergic to red meat.
Fuck. Ticks.
>>
>>1013445
PNW here
Almost zero chance of getting anything from a tick
>buddies gf gets out of truck at cabin
>immediately has a tick on her jacket
>freaks out and wants to go home
Ugh...
>>1013451
Jokes on you. I already can't handle red meats!!
>>
tfw no gf to check my ass for ticks after a day of hunting
tfw live in the Northeast
Just fuck my shit up
>>
>>1013445
good God i can't look at these things without feeling them crawling on me...
>>
What's a good tick repellent to use on a dog?
>>
>>1013673
Fire helps
>>
>>1013526
Jokes on you, you can't feel them crawling.
>>1013673
Picaridin is safer than deet.

Fellow northeasterner here. Treat your gear with permethrin, folks. It literally kills ticks, doesn't just repel them.
Other than that, bug juice, long pants, and high socks. Check yourself before bed and you'll be fine

Also, have no idea if this helps, but I wash my out clothes and myself in Dr bronners eucalyptus soap before and while out. Eucalyptus is one of the oils used in natural tick repellants.
>>
>>1013445
rural WI reporting in. there are parts of the state where these jerks cover the ground like sand.
>>
>>1015364
Columbia county Wi here, picked about 12 off my dog over the weekend.
>>
File: 1219219972.png (193KB, 500x684px) Image search: [Google]
1219219972.png
193KB, 500x684px
>>1013445
>>
>>1013459
>almost zero chance of getting anything from a tick
I had 2 medically confirmed cases of Lyme disease in 5 years despite religiously using permethrin on my /out/ clothes, blousing my boots, and using bug spray. In a state where it was rare enough the doc was like "fuuuuuck, now I've got like 9001 hours of paperwork to do reporting this to the CDC" (NC).

First time was kinda funny.
>develop textbook perfect bullseye rash on back of right calf
>go to doc
>"hey I'm pretty sure I have Lyme disease"
>Impossible, there hasn't been a case of lyme disease in this state in [a lot of] years!"
>pull pants up, show him bullseye rash
>....yep, you have lime disease. Shit. Uh, I gotta report this to the CDC
>starts me on the antibiotics, draws blood
>blood test confirms it

That's on top of at least 1 unconfirmed case when I was a kid (parents were poor and kinda dumb) and all the symptoms of chronic lyme.
>>
I'm currently enrolled in a clinical trial for Lyme disease vaccination. It's tolerated very well. Hope effective antibodies arise and this vaccine becomes a success.
Fuck ticks!
>>
Already had one while morel hunting. Had two my entire life, both within the past 2 years. Found them, pulled them out, and killed them. No ill effects. 1 was the Lonestar, but the other was too small to tell.
>>
File: gutbusters.jpg (29KB, 567x430px) Image search: [Google]
gutbusters.jpg
29KB, 567x430px
Dat dank doxycycline dookie dance...
>>
Live in NH and haven't been bitten in 6+ years, feels like a blessing I just dont get bit although I see them all the time on me.
>>
File: IMG_1640.jpg (35KB, 363x265px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1640.jpg
35KB, 363x265px
>>1015447
Wut dis
>>
>>1015360
>Jokes on you, you can't feel them crawling.
Are you being serious anon, do you have absolutely no skin sensitivity?
I usually can't feel them on my ankles but once they get above my knees I always can feel them.
>>
>>1015547
Not that guy, but I've found them latched to my stomach and didn't realize they were there until I took a shower.
>>
I wonder if covering your soft spots with mud/clay would work.
>>
I got bitten on the dick by a tick a few years ago.
It was down buried in my pubes where your dick attaches to your body. I think it was there for a few days. It left a lump that stayed there for about 6 months.
>>
>>1013673
Seresto collar 8 months protection.
>>
>>1015397
I got bit caught it soon, no bullseye- but I called my pcp and he put me on antibiotics. Never was tested after that. As a kid I'd spend my entire summer in the same woods. It is statistically inevitable that I got bit because I never checked myself until 2 family friend's lives were ruined by it.
>>
File: P1070615.jpg (235KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1070615.jpg
235KB, 1024x768px
There are roads like pic related near where I live. I started running recently and need to know how high is possibility to catch tick assuming I will never leave the road.
>>
>>1016494
They can jump. Buy a treadmill.
>>
>>1016494
They will literally jump/fall off overhanging branches. However, it's much much less likely than picking one up from walking through tall grass.
>>
>>1013445
I've had four ticks in my life. Never from going /out/ and always paralysis ticks. I religiously wear full trousers and gaitors and thoroughly check myself for parasites at the end of the day.
>>
>>1015774
You don't wash yourself?
>>
>>1016588
>>1016667
They don't jump and don't climb on trees, that's a myth.
>>
>>1017058
Nigga have you never been /out/? I have them fall on me all the time.
>>
Had hundreds of ticks on me growing up. I don't understand why so many people are afraid of them.
>>
File: hhhehehehe.jpg (188KB, 994x664px) Image search: [Google]
hhhehehehe.jpg
188KB, 994x664px
>>1016667
>They will literally jump/fall off overhanging branches.
>>
>>1017065
No. If you find a tick high up on your body, it either climbed up your clothes, or you brushed against a branch that it was on. They don't drop down on you.

At least dog ticks and deer ticks don't. Other types of ticks that we don't have around here might do that.
>>
>>1017067
There was also a time when you could have a hundred dicks in you growing up as well and AIDS wasn't a thing. Times change anon. Lyme is a yuge problem and getting worse.
>>
File: mox_forte_100.jpg (72KB, 600x818px) Image search: [Google]
mox_forte_100.jpg
72KB, 600x818px
>>1015447
>>1015521
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/43/9/1089/422463/The-Clinical-Assessment-Treatment-and-Prevention
>Early Lyme Disease - Erythema migrans. Doxycycline (100 mg twice per day), amoxicillin (500 mg 3 times per day), or cefuroxime axetil (500 mg twice per day) for 14 days (range, 10–21 days for doxycycline and 14–21 days for amoxicillin or cefuroxime axetil) is recommended for the treatment of adult patients with early localized or early disseminated Lyme disease associated with erythema migrans, in the absence of specific neurologic manifestations (see Lyme meningitis, below) or advanced atrioventricular heart block (A-I). Each of these antimicrobial agents has been shown to be highly effective for the treatment of erythema migrans and associated symptoms in prospective studies. Doxycycline has the advantage of being effective for treatment of HGA (but not for babesiosis), which may occur simultaneously with early Lyme disease. Doxycycline is relatively contraindicated during pregnancy or lactation and in children <8 years of age. Antibiotics recommended for children are amoxicillin (50 mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses [maximum of 500 mg per dose]), cefuroxime axetil (30 mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses [maximum of 500 mg per dose]), or, if the patient is ⩾8 years of age, doxycycline (4 mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses [maximum of 100 mg per dose]) (A-II).

Opinions regarding Fish and Bird Antibiotics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaL4fLXXEJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x248zWZkHM

Stock up:
https://www.campingsurvival.com/fish-and-bird-antibiotics.html?limit=48

Antibiotics Guide:
>Online database
http://www.bpac.org.nz/Supplement/2013/July/antibiotics-guide.aspx
>PDF
http://www.bpac.org.nz/Supplement/2013/July/docs/Antibioitcs_guide_2013.pdf
>>
Are head aches a symptom?

I had three ticks on me last summer season and for the next few months i didn't feel right but couldn't place it.

No headaches now but I feel like checking long term symptoms as I never got.a blood test (or bullseye) but headaches and some joint pain, but I have had that for a few years as is so hard to tell if it's more.
>>
>>1013445
Garlic.
>>
>>1013445
Is this relevant for EU? I don't care about Lyme. I'm just super serious about it, had dozens of ticks always check months after the bite areas.
But this.... Not be able to eat red meat again.... Nonononono
>>
>>1019883
Yes, relevant for EU.
Friend's daughter is a vet in Portugal.
>>
>>1020008
Thanks for the reply Anon
>>
>>1019883
There is also risk of encephalitis but you can get vaccinated against that.
>>
>>1015360
>I wash my out clothes and myself in Dr bronners eucalyptus soap before and while out. Eucalyptus is one of the oils used in natural tick repellants
For want to eucalyptus, I think spice bush could be used. It contains eucalyptol, which is one of the active ingredients in eucalyptus. If you're one of those all-natural-organic-fags who won't use deet, or just like making medicine out of plants, spice bush is a good plant. Also makes a great tea.
>>
You can also toss your /out/ clothes in the dryer on HOT for 15 minutes or so. This will kill them on your clothing.
>>
>>1013445
Can someone do a test for me?

Clove oil is a proven Acaricidal that kills scabies, but does it have the same 15 minute effect on ticks? I live in the country but i can't find a good sample size.
>>
File: journal.pone.0012079.g002.png (503KB, 1743x2417px) Image search: [Google]
journal.pone.0012079.g002.png
503KB, 1743x2417px
>>1021432

Just to continue on the point, I'm looking for speed of death and treatment effectiveness. clove oil sees a massive mite die off at any percentage in permithrin sensetive mites, and 6.25% in permithrin resistant mites.

Theoretically, if you bumped the guaranteed minimum amount by double (about 5% permithrin is used in skin treating parasites and 10% in lawn treatment products) would you see better results? Or do the ticks have a resistance to it?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0012079
>>
Are there a lot of ticks in FL? I really don't want to get Lyme disease.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.