[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

File: Firewood_pile_DP1804.jpg (243KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Firewood_pile_DP1804.jpg
243KB, 1024x768px
What's the best smelling firewood?
What's that one smell you can catch on the wind that makes you nostalgic?

Forest service starts handing out cutting permits and maps of target areas on June 1st. Any dead tree standing or fallen in free game.

I'm probably going to stock up on fir or other generic pine courtesy of the pine beetles
>>
Birch for me don't know why.
>>
Fruit woods.
>>
>>1012380
Birch makes a wonderful smoke fuel. Tastes great on meats.
>>
>>1012387
Yeah I don't get /out/ much no one to go with and only do winter hiking. But I love birch
>>
>>1012272
Mesquite
>>
>>1012272
Pecan. But i doubt your gonna find many pecan trees in the nfs plots.
>>
Cedar, but it's not the best fire wood. Soft, and burns quickly, without getting too hot, but my god, that smell.

I gathered fatwood from a downed cedar, and saved a chunk to take home with me. Months later, I still pick it up to smell every once in a while.

Makes me nostalgic every time.
>>
Cherry smells best.
>>
For me, it's white oak
>dat bourbon smell
>>
>>1012567
I'll second that. I try to use it in fires whenever I'm back at home.

Friendly reminder to all anons: Don't use firewood from well outside of the area where you're using it. That's how destructive invasive beetles like Emerald Ash Borer get moved around.
>>
I don't think i have many good local options in Idaho. Burning pine doesn't have too much flavor. I may find birch but its kinda rare, can't tell the difference between them and aspen either.
>>
>>1012272
I always got pine from my grandparents so its nostalgic to me. I would very much like to try other woods
>>
Utah Juniper.
>>
>>1012657
Does wyoming juniper smell drastically different?
>>
>>1012541

mah nigga
>>
Hickory, with mesquite a close second.
>>
Bristlecone pine.

>truly unique smell
>only need one slab in your fire atl night

Just make sure to pick up from the ground and not the tree itself because they always look dead.
>>
>>1012720
>Only need one slab in your fire all night
Where do they grow and what are some distinguishing features?
>>
Ash.
There was a huge forest behind my house filled with ash trees.
My father would cut a few down every year and use them in the wood burning stove we had, it would heat the entire house.
My family was very poor back then, so the stove was our only source of heat.

I respect the fuck out of ash trees now.
>>
i just want to swing by and remind everyone of the the feeling you get when you are back at home and you pull a hoodie out of your pack or throw on a jacket that is just emanating the beautiful sent of of campfire.

just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye.
>>
>>1012745
Don't Tell him

They grow super slow and we don't need more nigger chop chop.
>>
File: e16.jpg (42KB, 240x410px) Image search: [Google]
e16.jpg
42KB, 240x410px
>>1012272
I love how people put useless copyrights on shitty images like they are some world class photographer.
>>
>>1012878
>It's just a damn wood pile picture
>>
>>1012272
cedar

one year a massive cedar fell down in our garden, and I spent weeks sawing it up by hand for the fire because my single mother wouldn't let me use the chainsaw

all winter the ancient cast iron stove we cooked pofertjes on smelled like pine cedar and hard work
>>
>>1013437
I tell a lie, I googled it and it was bunya-bunya pine
>>
Pine for me.
>>
>>1012878
I feel your pain, but if a marketing team uses the picture in the future at least ol' Danny can make 'em pay for it.
>>
>>1012272
walnut!
>>
>>1013449
>Burning sacred walnut
You mad man. Thats worth atleast $100/ft
>>
File: 0803161430.jpg (535KB, 1280x1924px) Image search: [Google]
0803161430.jpg
535KB, 1280x1924px
>>1012272
beech. best wood for smoking any kind of meat or vedge and super smooth on the nose anyway. i cut one down and chopped up bags of it for smoking last summer and now that i've moved overseas i fear i'll never burn or smoke food with beech ever again ;_;

pic related, steak redbones. but chicken, fish, and pork were even more glorious with mighty beech
>>
>>1013463
>burning
i've worked with it man.
sawed, planed, polished.
also the dry, sick, dead branches of the old neglected walnut trees from grampa's garden are just fine.
>>
>>1013463
You mean board feet? Man this meme really needs to die, firewood-grade walnut is a fucking dime a dozen. If you have veneer grade walnut sawlogs, then its valuable the majority of walnut trees currently standing in the US aren't quality timber, especially in unmanaged stands, aka where you would be harvesting firewood with a USFS permit.
>>
>>1013470
this

for every length of walnut lumber you get maybe six times that of good wood, and 10 times that of sticks, sawdust, off-cuts and bark

much more if it's just a random walnut tree, not in a forestry program
>>
>>1012272
Not nostalgic for it because I wasn't raised in the SE, but Longleaf pine smells amazing especially when aflame.
>>
File: _MG_7263.jpg (1MB, 2544x1696px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_7263.jpg
1MB, 2544x1696px
In my last flat... self collected and chopped wood: birch, acer, plum. i recommend wood from fruit trees , it smells like heaven !
>>
I thought pine wasn't good to burn because of the sap?
>>
>>1012745
There are two distinct subspecies, Pinus aristata, native to the high colorado rockies (above 8000') and P. longaeva native to the great basin of Nevada. The latter subspecies is the oldest known living single organism on Earth. This species grows so slowly that it is NOT sustainable for firewood collection please do not cut or harvest wood from bristlecone pines.
>>
>>1012691
No it doesn't, some Juniperus species are more fragrant than others but all relatively the same.
>>
>>1013552
doesn't the heat affect the painting?
>>
Mesquite and ironwood.
>>
>>1013559
as long as you dont put the canvas too close(: , when i thought it was too close i pulled it a bit away , the screws on which it was fixed have been not too far away from each other - so it was still movable. anyway you have to be carefull with drying color, heat and sunlight are dangerous for the drying process ..
>>
the only bad thing with fruitwood is the density.. actually its good because it creates more heat . I recommend a sharp axe - fiskars for example - because it grows in all directions (: birchwood can be chopped almost with a knife.. but it burns faster .. yew wood (taxus) is also interesting - burns like glowing iron
>>
>>1012852

He could easily wiki it, you double nigger
>>
>>1012272

It's not so much the wood but some eucalyptus species Ooze a sap like substance when they're injured. Grab a glob of that on a stick and you're in heaven. Plus, great at keeping mosquitoes away.

>only comes from major injuries
>can't get it from cutting the tree with your knife like a faggot
>>
What's a good way to tell if firewood is seasoned? Don't want to get ripped off...
>>
>>1013706
Buy a 35 dollar wood moisture tester from the store.
>>
>>1012272
Since when do you need a fucking permit to cut dead trees in the forest? Is this just for if you're hauling wood out?

>>1013706
Pick it up. If it feels heavy, it has too much water in it. If you don't know how much a split log should weigh, you're shit out of luck, pal.
>>
>>1013842
You don't need a permit to cut and burn dead trees. But with a permit you can take entire trees home.
>>
Cedar smells amazing
had a cedar fall down during a freeze this winter, burned all the brush a few weeks ago
>>
File: 1494034437329.png (587KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1494034437329.png
587KB, 680x680px
>>1012641
>installing hardwood floors
>it's white oak
>boss lets me bag up offcuts and scraps
>gonna burn them later tonight
>mfw
>>
>>1015644
My buddies dad does this, he's never had to buy or cut wood. But they take up and replace gymnasium floors.
>>
>>1015687
Unfortunately I work for a general contractor so probably won't do another flooring job for a while but I have enough to have people over for a fire at least a couple times.
>>
File: The_Mulberry_Tree_-_Alissa_Zhu.jpg (782KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
The_Mulberry_Tree_-_Alissa_Zhu.jpg
782KB, 900x900px
>>1012272
>What's the best smelling firewood?

I don't know what the best smelling wood is but the worst is mulberry; it literally smells like rotting meat.
>>
File: bois-darc-tree.jpg (1MB, 1818x1228px) Image search: [Google]
bois-darc-tree.jpg
1MB, 1818x1228px
Bois D'Arc smells like pancakes when you burn it
>>
>>1015999
The berries are pretty tasty though
>>
>>1012643
That is a good thought Anon but EAB is quite capable of moving on its own and it is highly unlikely that firewood quarantines have slowed the beetle at all.
>>
>ctrl+F "piñon"
>no matches

Holy shit, how can anyone here not know?
>>
>>1017034
>piñon
How could i forget
>>
>>1017034

>HOLY FUCK HOW COULD ANYONE ON THE WHOLE ENTIRE PLANET NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE SPECIFIC THING THAT I KNOW ABOUT
>>
>>1013554
Any tree that has a higher content of sticky resin or sap is likely to form flammable creosote in your chimney, however a proper burning fire with plenty of air and not too much wood will burn off most material before it can be deposited. Proper chimney care and proper fire management will remove the worry
>>
>>1012272
How many snakes and centipedes will be in that woodpile?
>>
>>1017211
Well over 2.
>>
>>1012272
I'm a pecan man. I use it when I smoke ribs and bologna, 5/5 and grows everywhere here in Okieland.
>>
>>1017034
This too. There's a mom and pop outdoor pottery shack called Grumpy's Garden in Tulsa, OK that burns pinon wood outside in their adobe fireplace and so the entire area smells like burning pinon. It's great.
>>
You guys really need to check this place out. Best smelling firewood I ever purchased. I still don't know what type of wood they use but it is amazing to cook over or just throw in the fireplace.

https://youtu.be/TBb9O-aW4zI
>>
File: 1466110255714.gif (277KB, 240x287px) Image search: [Google]
1466110255714.gif
277KB, 240x287px
>>1012541
>mesquite
>>
File: 1324676517001.png (4KB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
1324676517001.png
4KB, 300x163px
>>1019865
>>
File: 1460234526925.jpg (305KB, 1221x1454px) Image search: [Google]
1460234526925.jpg
305KB, 1221x1454px
>>1019865
>artisanal firewood
>>
>>1012272
Holy Oak
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.