[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/ings with a pipe thread #5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 88

File: IMG_7517.jpg (18KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7517.jpg
18KB, 200x200px
Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
Accessories needed: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $20.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Pack it looser and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try packing using the Frank Method, detailed here:
Part 1: http://youtu.be/kJP0JaNRw6Q
Part 2: http://youtu.be/9U5QbtyNxhA
Part 3: http://youtu.be/OMtHOAiO8CI

Old thread >>992997
>>
Don't let /pipe general/ turn into fishing and tackle.

Keep pipe smoking manley.
>>
File: IMG_7740.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7740.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Pipe of the Night

Sandblasted Charatan with 3 Nuns
>>
File: IMG_7520.jpg (406KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7520.jpg
406KB, 1600x1067px
>>1011866
It all depends on your perspective, I guess.
I have no problem with the notion of getting comfy with an attractive girl, but to each his own.
>>
>>1011893
I'd rather see pictures of fat and ugly guys who are real smokers than amateur models who don't smoke anything but the photographer's pole
>>
>>1011866
Wish i could find a lady that smoked a pipe.
>>1011901
Dunno about the fat ugly guys, but I agree about the models
>>
maybe we should start using old paintings? for the comfy aesthetic
>>
the calabash i posted in the last thread has been sold to some other lucky guy, oh well.
>>
>>1012036
Unlucky, but you will find another one cheaper soon
>>
Pipe smoking looks so relaxing, to bad NZ taxes the fuck out of tobacco
>>
Th'smokest ye pipe too, m'lady? Verily I tippest my hatteth :)
>>
>>1012050
It went to a happy home in sure
>>
>>1012060
That's ok. If history is any indication, it will fail.
People will learn how to farm it, or pay a contract farmer to grow their stuff for them with supplies they buy (so there is no official, per se "commerce in tobacco" that can be taxed). It's not illegal-or even especially expensive-to buy fertilizer, germination trays, topsoil, gas for tractors or wood and nails for a curing barn-all of these are common things. Further, each plant produces about 100 grams of prepared tobacco at the end of the process, all while making thousands of seeds apiece. Divide that up by 1 gram per cigarette or 1.5-2 grams per pipe bowl, do a little math for your habit, and you too can find out how many plants it will take. Add a few more for waste, spoilage and not wanting to smoke the worst quality leaves (the lowest ones on the plant are usually lowest quality), and you're in...well, not "business", because that's taxed. Let's call it "productive gardening."

What NZ's anti smoking do-gooders did with their taxes is probably the best thing for the domestic tobacco industry in over a century. All outside competition has been effectively eliminated, yet due to the very small size of tobacco seeds, the taxes don't affect their prices very much.

All it takes is knowledge and will. And if you've got the latter, the former is easy to come by.
>>
>>1012096
What are you even talking about?
There's a difference between smoking some badly cured virginia you've grown in your garden and smoking a mixture comprised of tobaccos grown all over the world possibly aged 20-30 years..
>>
File: IMG_7742.jpg (85KB, 594x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7742.jpg
85KB, 594x396px
>>1012107
I see you're not familiar with New Zealand's tax rate for tobacco.
It's now $1051.83NZ per kilo of tobacco content, and the rate increases annually.
So your average 50 gram tin of imported pipe tobacco that costs you $15-20 in America would otherwise cost NZers $40NZ or so due to shipping it halfway around the world. Now thanks to the taxes they have to pay, it shoots up to $90NZ+.
Per 50g tin.
And because it's a tax on tobacco content, bulk buying doesn't help you either.
Meanwhile, a single pack of 1000 tobacco seeds-which will produce more than enough to supply two chainsmokers for a full year (3-4 if you're good at growing it and/or not as picky about leaf quality)-costs $10NZ. After that, the seeds your own plants will produce makes it free.

At American prices you're right, it makes no sense to grow and age your own. At NZ prices, the taxes make it not just economically viable, but a virtual necessity.

Besides, what do you think your tobacco is, anyway? There are only two real varieties of commercial tobacco-Virginia and Burley. Everything else is just a different cultivar or preparation of one of those two varieties.

You're acting like this is rocket science; it's not. It just isn't cost effective FOR YOU at current market prices. But when NZ manipulates their market so drastically, it becomes cost effective for them again.
And Tobacco is easy as fuck to grow. It doesn't need insecticide, and aging it just means tying the leaves into bundles (with other tobacco leaves) and hanging them up in a shed for a while. If ignorant, illiterate farmers could grow good quality tobacco-and they can-you can do it too. It's not even hard.
>>
How many times in a row can you smoke a corn cob without giving it rest? I've got some midnight oil to burn
>>
File: gina-roode-smoking-a-pipe-10.jpg (765KB, 1201x1800px) Image search: [Google]
gina-roode-smoking-a-pipe-10.jpg
765KB, 1201x1800px
So how unhealthy is pipesmoking anyway compared to cigarettes?

And how would homegrown tobacco even compare to store-bought?
>>
>>1012318
>So how unhealthy is pipesmoking anyway compared to cigarettes?
if you care enough to ask, smoking is probably not for you

>And how would homegrown tobacco even compare to store-bought?
no clue
>>
>>1012222
I've done 4 bowls back-to-back and it was fine. You'll know when it needs a rest-the bottom of the bowl will start getting soggy. When this happens just let it dry out in the sun for a day and it'll be good to go again.
Also, be aware that repeated rapid smoking for a long time may cause the glue holding the stem in the bowl to let go, and the stem to fall out. Easiest way to reattach it is with regular white glue.
Or if that's too much work, just spend another $7 and get a new pipe.
>>
>>1012327
i already have a brand new one lined up to replace it so i guess its not much of a problem, could actually be interesting to record down some details on the "experiment"
>>
>>1012329
Be warned: it may take longer than you think to kill it.
One of the heavy smoking guys on another forum decided to do a torture test of a plain-bottomed MM cob. After smoking 10 bowls a day in it for 4 months and posting results weekly, it still didn't give up the ghost. By the time he lost interest, admitted defeat and started passing it around, he had logged somewhere north of 1200 bowls in it. It currently has over 1400 and is still going strong.
>>
>>1012318
I like to think it's healthier since it involves fewer organs/less surface area (since you aren't inhaling the smoke) but it's still risky the same way chewing tobacco puts you at a high risk of mouth cancer. Cancer risk aside you don't have to worry about emphysema or reduced lung capacity, which is good for me because I run a lot.
>>
Has anyone here made their own corncob pipe? If so I'm curious about the durability. I read that companies like Missouri Meerschaum use cobs that have dried and hardened for two years. Obviously I'm not going to wait that long to make one, but I'm wondering what sort of lifespan I could expect out of a homemade pipe
>>
>>1012156
Wow, I did not think it was that bad. I thought we were taxing it heavily in scandinavia.

But yea, im not disputing that the growing part will be easy enough, it's the curing and the blending im worried about. And also that most people wont have time, money or a place for this.
>>
>>1012318
>So how unhealthy is pipesmoking anyway compared to cigarettes?
Much less unhealthy, provided you don't inhale the smoke.
If you do, it's like swapping filtered cigs for unfiltered.

>And how would homegrown tobacco even compare to store-bought?

That's like asking how a block of wood in your workshop could ever be compared to a wooden sculpture you saw at the store. It can be pretty comparable if you know how to get to the end from the beginning; most people just have no idea. But if you're wanting to learn and not afraid to start, you can achieve a lot.

The big step is learning how to cure the tobacco to make it smokable. But that was figured out 200 years ago. The knowledge is out there, and a lot of NZers are learning it thanks to their government trying to tax them into bankruptcy.
A few simple web searches will get you pointed in the right direction fairly quickly. There are even whole forums about it.
>>
>>1012359
Pretty long if you have a little bit of hardwood at the bottom of the bowl. That's one of the secrets to MM's durability-their stems are hardwood and extend all the way across the bottom of the bowl.

The only other thing to think about is making sure you have enough corncob available to drill a big enough bowl. Most modern corn strains have been bred to have smaller cobs. So small, in fact, that that MM had to work with the University of Missouri to develop a corn strain that had cobs big enough to work with (the variety is now available on seed websites).
>>
File: 20170510_231229.jpg (231KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
20170510_231229.jpg
231KB, 1000x668px
Heh, this thread made me remember that I had a moment in my life when I was about 15 or 16 and was a tryhard hipster who wanted to smoke pipe.
Which is now 8~9 years ago and I still have the pipe that I bought back then, all done in secret because I didn't want to get caught by my parents.
I smoked it a couple of times but I haven't touched it in years, I might break it in again.

I kinda wonder though, why it went out of style at all while cigarettes are still commonly consumed.
>>
>>1012419
>why it went out of style
i've wondered this myself and the convenience and relative inexpensiveness of cigarettes seems a likely answer. buying pre-rolled packs that didn't require any special tools would appeal to a lot of people. i know many cigarette smokers who haven't ever tried to roll their own (something i did a lot when i smoked cigarettes) so i doubt they'd be interested in smoking a pipe. it's the difference between people who go to starbucks versus people who make their own coffee at home
>>
>>1012426
I guess I haven't really given it much thought.
Smoking a pipe definitely takes a bit longer and is more of hobby kind of thing, wouldn't you say? Whereas a cigarette is almost exclusively smoked as a result of addiction which can be quickly consumed in mere minutes.
Maybe still considered as more of an old persons hobby.

I also very much enjoy putting some time and effort making a sweet espresso at home with simple tools.

Also, a fun little video I came across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Ssw_WQ-y4
>>
>>1012429
it's definitely a hobby nowadays, but at one time it was simply how you smoked tobacco. but yeah, people who smoke cigarettes typically do so just for the addiction and not necessarily to enjoy the tobacco flavors. once cigarettes became introduced on a big scale (in the late 1800s) i'm sure it was simpler for people to buy a pack, smoke them whenever, not have to keep and maintain a pipe, etc.

i love homemade coffee (i don't have an espresso machine so the best i've done is a faux-spresso with a moka pot.) grinding the fresh beans, measuring out the water, getting just the right temperature, etc...it all goes toward brewing a great cup of coffee. being involved in anything you consume makes it so much more rewarding
>>
>>1012429
>Smoking a pipe definitely takes a bit longer
this matters more then you think, both time wise, smoking breaks in under 10 minutes, "just having one while waiting for the bus" etc but also psychologically, it becomes a vice more akin to biting your nails, something you can do so quickly you barely notice your doing it

nad yea Pathé has some great pipe vids,
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DeKDiXQy_A
>>
File: IMG_7758.jpg (702KB, 2755x1639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7758.jpg
702KB, 2755x1639px
So my $25 Peterson arrived today.
It's seen better decades.
>protip: a wooden bowl and vulcanite stem should not be the same color.
The pipe looks like someone tried to refinish it and then gave up. The mouthpiece is also stuck in the pipe stem.
>>
File: IMG_7759.jpg (573KB, 1720x1740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7759.jpg
573KB, 1720x1740px
>>1013107
A shot of the bowl. It had a cobweb inside of it which I removed just prior to this photo.
>>
File: IMG_7761.jpg (588KB, 2777x1312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7761.jpg
588KB, 2777x1312px
>>1013109
...and that's a split bowl. It's small, but it's there, and it didn't show up on the photos I saw beforehand.
Trying to decide now if I want to restore it or just toss it.
Thoughts?
>>
>>1013107
I can't wait to see an after picture. I've restored a few and it's the most rewarding part about the hobby of pipesmoking. Good luck!
>>
>>1013135
I would try to fix it. You just have to decide for yourself how much time/money you want to sink into it. When doing a project like that you have to find a balance. Sometimes it gets to be more work than its worth, or cost more than you want to spend.

Nice looking pipe tho, just needs some TLC
>>
File: IMG_7765.jpg (446KB, 2700x1291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7765.jpg
446KB, 2700x1291px
>>1013135
I can't catch a break today.
Picked up a plain looking meerschaum for cheap and I open up the box to find this.
The stem isn't broken off in the pipe. It looks like the original bone screw got snapped off sometime in the past and they just glued it together with superglue.
>protip: never glue a pipe together with superglue.
So now I've got to send that off, because I have no clue how to repair bone screws in pipe stems.

>>1013145
It won't take much cash to fix up-except for the split in the side of the bowl. That's what I'm most worried about.
Everything else can be fixed for cheap or free.
>>
File: IMG_7766.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7766.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1013169
15 minutes in the freezer loosened the stem enough for the pipe to come apart without damage. Which is good, because this thing is FILTHY. A few alcohol-soaked paper towels on the outside and a pile of pipe cleaners on the inside and the mouthpiece is clean, if not pretty.
Time for the magic eraser.
>>
File: IMG_7767.jpg (588KB, 1785x2465px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7767.jpg
588KB, 1785x2465px
>>1013205
A piece of magic eraser, some warm water and a little (okay, a lot) of elbow grease later, and you almost can't believe this looked like >>1013205
just an hour ago.
Add a thin coat or two of wax to the mouthpiece and it's almost good as new.
>>
>>1013208
what sort of wax do you use? also, any advice on getting tooth marks out of it?
>>
File: IMG_7768.jpg (718KB, 2611x1916px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7768.jpg
718KB, 2611x1916px
>>1013208
And finished for the night.
The bowl isn't pretty but at least it's clean and prepped for whatever finish I decide to put on it.

Still worried about the crack. Need to figure out an unobtrusive way to fill it that would be both permanent and fire resistant.
>>
>>1013211
Buff the hell out of it.
I was lucky with this mouthpiece in that there weren't that many deep marks that neededto be buffed out, and the ones that were there were mainly on the underside. On previous mouthpieces, I just knocked the oxidation off and didn't try buffing out the tooth marks. I'm a little wary of rendering them invisible, especially when I'm not sure how much material I'd have left at the end. The fix could be worse than just leaving it alone.
>>
>>1013218
It's looking good so far
>>
>>1013223
>>1013211
Also forgot to mention I used turtle wax because it was around. Sure carnauba is glossier and makes for a nice durable finish, but this is proof-you don't need to pay a lot of money to get good results.
>>
>>1013218
I cant really spot the crack, but you could try leaving it as it is rather than filling it with some product.

This was my first pipe. It has two long cracks down the bowl that fixed themselves with tobacco resin/cake, and i kinda like the look of it.
Just smoke carefully in the beginning.
>>
File: IMG_20170512_125022.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_125022.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>1013342
Forgot pic
>>
>>1013343
damn she rough
>>
>>1011840
This should be on b or soc.
>>
>>1013366
It's an outdoor activity by default.
Hence why we're here.
>>
>>1013389
>>1013366

Yeah. What kind of heathen smokes inside in this day and age?

Its the perfect relaxing ritual to spend time in the great outdoors.
>>
>>1013107
Would you be able to recommend any online tobacco retailers or point me to a big-box store that carries something other than the shitty bulk bags of tobacco?

I used to live near a pipe and cigar shop that had extremely high quality pipe tobacco, but I moved and now I have my choice of Walmart or a 3-hour drive to a cigar bar that sells a slightly higher grade of stale bulk tobacco.
>>
>>1013410
Your Walmart sells pipe tobacco? Lucky.

But seriously, Smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com are the two big boys in the online pipe world.
>>
>>1013429

Walmarts and such generally only carry like, the most plain jane cheapo stuff or RYO cigarette tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco.
>>
>>1013354
Yea it's pretty beat, but it's very plain so at least the imperfections give a little character, or so I like to think.
>>
>>1013448
Not where I'm at.
Think I bought the last pouch of pipe tobacco (Prince Albert) off their shelf a year ago. They haven't restocked.
That said, I won't complain too loudly. Tobacco's a local business here in The South-and we love supporting our local businesses.
>>
>>1013477

The store I work at (a grocery) has like, big containers of prince albert and something else, and maybe 3 or 4 small bags of other stuff. I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy any of it in the almost year and a half I've worked here. and our GM manager who is in charge of it seems to corroborate that observation, saying she never really stocks more of it.
>>
>>1013429
1lb and 5lb bags of Borkum Riff, which expired in like 2002, and 3lb cans of Gambler Menthol.
>>
>>1013429
I can't say enough good things about Smokingpipes. I've used other sites and Smokingpipes has the best and cheapest shipping for me. Not to mention they've got a great selection and their stuff is actually in stock most of the time (unlike Pipes and Cigars which is always out of things I want and have been having shipping/warehouse issues for a while since they moved facilities.) Also, if you like Cornell & Diehl or G.L. Pease then you'll get the best price with Smoking Pipes because they're owned by the same company
>>
>>1013613
P&C seems to have gotten their act together. I placed 2 orders over the last 2 weeks and got them promptly within a few days. I've been usuing them for about 3 years now and only had problems when they moved. You are right about their stock tho. They never seem to have everything i want. I haven't bought anything from Smokingpipes, guess i need to check them out.
>>
File: IMG_7770.jpg (484KB, 1633x1701px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7770.jpg
484KB, 1633x1701px
$25 Peterson Day 2

The rim was uneven and all chewed up, so I decided to straighten it out a little. There are still some small bevels from previous jacknife wear, but I didn't want to remove too much bowl depth. For the most part it's now clean, square and level.
>>
File: IMG_7771.jpg (692KB, 1821x2017px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7771.jpg
692KB, 1821x2017px
>>1013885
Last shot before the stain goes on.

I've chosen a red mahogany stain because I like how well a deep red color works with the natural color or briar as it ages. I tried fixing the crack in the bowl, but it now looks like it's just a deep scratch. Still, can't quite get it out, so I'll be staining over it.
If this comes out right I'm a genius. If it doesn't, the Internet led me wrong.
>>
File: IMG_7773.jpg (813KB, 2706x1881px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7773.jpg
813KB, 2706x1881px
>>1013906
After 3 coats of stain it's darker than I thought it would be. The market pen didn't say anything about how many coats to apply or how long to let it sit. But the wood stain maker's website did.
>often people achieve their desired color in just one application
Shit.
I was hoping to get some extra color on there so when I started rubbing it off of places, I'd have a more highly contrasted look on the finish.
>>
>>1013920
I really like that color. Hopefully it will lighten with age or as it dries to balance out the darkening of the underlying wood as you smoke it.
>>
File: IMG_7778.jpg (636KB, 1532x2893px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7778.jpg
636KB, 1532x2893px
>>1013920
After a couple of coats of wax it's lightened up a little more and is more like how I wanted the finish to be.
This thing looks really good now. I almost can't believe it came to me looking like a wreck, and it looks like this.
>>
>>1013926
I've been hesitant about investing into some of the estate Peterson's on eBay since they looked a lot like >>1013107 , but this makes me think it may be worth it.
>>
>>1013926
That's turning out great
>>
File: IMG_7779.jpg (684KB, 2636x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7779.jpg
684KB, 2636x1564px
>>1013926
The pipe she is done.
I noticed when I was waxing that more and more stain was rubbing off with the excess wax. Did a couple more tries with wax until stain wasn't coming off when I buffed and called it good.
From >>1013107 to now, it's been a pretty dramatic transformation for the old Pete, and easier than I thought it was going to be.
>>
File: IMG_7782.jpg (1MB, 2260x2683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7782.jpg
1MB, 2260x2683px
Pipe of the night

Freshly-restored Peterson Standard filled with War Horse Bar.
This is one I had to work for, so I'm smoking something you ALSO have to work for to smoke properly-the War Horse, which has to be cut off of the plug. It too was an Irish tobacco once upon a time; now it's just Irish-style, but still strong and tasty.
This is my first Pete, and I can see what the fuss is about.
Quite satisfied and comfy tonight.
>>
File: 1493669700547.jpg (22KB, 303x499px) Image search: [Google]
1493669700547.jpg
22KB, 303x499px
Does anybody have experience with filters getting stuck in their stems?
Moisture managed to make it's way into the stem and part of the filter tore off. It's pretty annoying.
>>
>>1014508
I never have, but that sounds like a giant hassle.
Have you tried getting it out by spinning a properly sized drill bit in your fingers? I've done that more than once to clear out airways blocked by debris.

Makes me wonder if that's why Dr Grabow filters are coated with plastic now...
>>
>>1014778
I have several 9 mm pipes that will grab the filter and not want to turn loose. I gently pinch the filter with a pair of side cutters or needle nose pliers and turn, twist it back and forth. Those 9mm tubes with charcoal in them tend to come apart, the ends will pop out and spill shit everywhere, just be gental. Find 9mm drill bit >>1014778 and run it into the stem with your fingers. That will usually stop them from sticking. I don't have any trouble with the 6mm Dr. Grabo's, the plastic coating helps.
>>
File: IMG_7788.jpg (1MB, 2097x1717px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7788.jpg
1MB, 2097x1717px
Pipe of the night

1930s-era GBD bulldog with Dunhill Flake
>>
File: camel non filter.jpg (197KB, 800x1250px) Image search: [Google]
camel non filter.jpg
197KB, 800x1250px
I have a question

So, I have been a pack a day smoker for 5 years, but I just recently got sick and didnt smoke for 2 days (the longest I have gone without a cigarette). My smell began to come back and I realized how much normal people can actually smell the world, and how the experience of being outside, etc is drastically different with smell.

So now I am trying to quit smoking to achieve this, but I still like nicotine. Would smoking a pipe every so often keep my facilities? I am starting to grow my own tobacco as well

>pic related, what I'd been smoking for the past 6 months, after smoking 27s for 4 years
>>
>>1015565
I wouldn't start smoking pipe just for a nicotine fix.
Maybe it would be wise to quit first to get over the addiction as best as you can.

Also, good luck with your tobacco, I've been wanting to grow some too but I have no space so I need to think of something.
>>
>>1015565
Very nice pipe! Haven't a pipe with the stem that shape before. Does it feel good to smoke?
>>
>>1015565
Sorry. This >>1016048
Meant for >>1015177
>>
>>1015565
i agree with >>1015616 in that you should get over your nicotine addiction before trying to get into pipesmoking. i tried to switch from cigarettes to a pipe at one time and it left me craving cigarettes more than if i had just stopped smoking altogether. however, after a few years of being a non-smoker i had some major urges for tobacco and got into pipesmoking since it offers the best choices in flavors imo. of course, i don't think you need wait longer than a few weeks to a couple of months, but give it a try and see how you feel. you might want to start with a burley since they have more nicotine.
>>
>>1015565
Get a vape man. You can get the nicotine without 95% of the harm of smoking.
>>
File: IMG_6681.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6681.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1016048
It does. I love it.
That mouthpiece shape is just a taper stem, and the "proper" one for the classic French bulldog shape. It's quite comfortable-the taper causes the pipe to rest on your lower jaw and center itself on your upper teeth as you hold it in your mouth, your teeth sliding down to hang on the button.
I like it because it's light, not huge, comfortable, smokes well and looks absolutely right.
>>
>>1016112
Man. I Need a bulldog in my life
>>
File: IMG_7795.jpg (21KB, 300x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7795.jpg
21KB, 300x480px
Thoughts on brylon pipes?
>>
Thinking of buying my first pipe (corncob). Smoking a pipe seems like a nice /out/ activity. I've got a question about filters. Are they necessary when smoking a pipe? If not, then what does it do? I see them often recommended on sites that sell pipes, but they're not included in the 'starting kit' in the OP. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
>>1017282
>Are they necessary when smoking a pipe?
no
>If not, then what does it do?
moisture control, if the draw hole on your pipe huge it stops tobacco getting sucked up (though ive never encountered a pipe where this happens, also prevents sucking up sludge.

but its largely unnecessary and generally more a hassle, having to change the sludged up filters and such
>>
File: kramer_large.jpg (18KB, 174x174px) Image search: [Google]
kramer_large.jpg
18KB, 174x174px
>>1017325

allright, thanks bud!
>>
>>1016739
Not sure if it varies brand to brand, but the one I tried (which was bought new) tasted like shit even with my favorite tobaccos.

That being said, if you need an inexpensive and durable travel pipe and smoke something strong, it may be an option.
>>
>>1017282
Differing opinion here
>Are they necessary when smoking a pipe?
No, BUT after trying your pipe with and without them inline,!you might enjoy having them there.
>If not, then what does it do?
Traps some moisture and tar, keeps the ashes in the bowl from being sucked into your mouth when you draw.
You can suck ashes with those pipes if you're not careful. When I do, I'm done right there. It doesn't matter if it's halfway unburnt, I'm dumping it.
So that's what I use them for-ash management. They're cheap and widely available if you want to use them. If not, no big deal.
>>
File: IMG_7797.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7797.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Pipe of the night
1970s era Terminus billiard filled with Three Nuns
The Terminus is an interesting design. It's got a huge stem with two draw holes and a tube In the middle. The mouthpiece also has a smaller tube that plugs into the bigger tube. The tubes have small holes in them and by sending the smoke through a tortuous route, wetness and gurgling were supposedly eliminated.
It works ok-the pipe certainly smokes well, and the two draw holes keep it from clogging up as much-but it is a bitch to clean.
>>
File: IMG_7705.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7705.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>1017580
Here's a close up of the stem with the two draw holes.
>>
>>1017581
Interesting
>>
>>1011866
>unironically thinking you are manly for smoking a pipe

holy cringe, undeniable proof insufferable nu-male hipsters from reddit populate this board.
>>
>>1017749
We've been over this.
Thanks to universal indoor smoking bans, it's now an /out/ activity by default.
That's why we're here.
>>
File: pipe.jpg (57KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
57KB, 650x433px
r8 my pipe guys
>>
>>1017807
would freebase/10
>>
>>1017778
The most popular bar in my town (small-ish KY college town) has a huge outdoor patio that skirts around that law. I go there with buds a lot and smoke.

It's pretty comfy, especially during the summer when classes are over. It's up on a hill and faces west, so you can watch the sunset and there's nowhere near as many people there.
>>
File: 20170518_143014.jpg (2MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_143014.jpg
2MB, 1500x1125px
fishing with a buddy, coffee, beer and a good smoke

good weather too, prefect Thursday
>>
File: 20170518_172130-1.jpg (4MB, 2099x2382px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_172130-1.jpg
4MB, 2099x2382px
First bowl in my "new to me" Savinelli Polo. Got it loaded with some Frog Morton on the Town, and it is smoking like a dream.
>>
>>1018145
>On the Town
absolutely one of my favorites. it introduced me to english aromatics which has easily become my favorite sort of blend
>>
>>1018150
Totally agree. While Cellar was my first Frog Morton as well as my second pipe tobacco, I fell in love with it as soon as the flavor hit my mouth.
>>
File: 20170519_002125.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170519_002125.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Made this pipe today out of maple and walnut.
Problem is, I'm 20 and in California you need to be 21 to buy tobacco.
Does anyone want it? I'll ship it anywhere in the US free of charge, just use it and post feedback on here when you get it.
>>
File: rage.jpg (353KB, 2048x1447px) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
353KB, 2048x1447px
>>1017988
fucking NEETS
>>
>>1018500
have you tried ordering tobacco online? every site i looked at only mentioned the customer needed to be over 18, which i assume is based on a federal interstate commerce law which would supersede your state law. give it a try. also, that's a nice looking pipe. hold on to it
>>
File: 20170518_181924.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_181924.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
Does PipeGen smoke and bike at the same time?

>>1018512
not NEETs, just students
>>
>>1018518
Mads, what is this vehicle of yours?
>>
File: 20170518_135258.jpg (2MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_135258.jpg
2MB, 1500x1125px
>>1018521
Nihola Low, non electric
>>
>>1018527
Mads you're a fucking hipster but nevertheless I love that thing.
>>
>>1018500
Is maple and walnut safe to smoke with?
>>
>>1018545
the handlebar mustache is growing in very nicely, thank you very much

yea, its a great bike,
>>
>>1018560
why would it be unsafe? even inexpensive pipes like corncobs have hardwood inserts that cover the bottom of the bowl
>>
>>1018609
so, you're saying the only IRL people you know who smoke pipes are old people and hipsters? all right then, fair enough. i guess it's just more common where i live. we do have loads of tobacco farms around here so there's that
>>
>>1018609
>it just makes you look double cringe with your fedora.
nice 2012 meme.
>>
>>1018560
Yes
>>
>>1018609
>le fedora meme
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1012318
pipe tobacco is very similar to cigars except for some reason pipe smoking feels lighter. Honestly I like cigars more just because you get thicker smoke.

Pipes and Cigars aren't inhaled, the smoke shouldn't go any further down than your upper throat.
>>
>>1012359
just use a large cob and dry it out in the oven on low heat for a few hours.

Or just not give a fuck and get a chunk of oak or birch and drill some holes in it. Literally the only important feature of a pipe's material is that it doesn't add odors when you smoke them.
>>
>>1012419
cigarettes are inhaled and provide reliable nicotine in about 5-15 minutes. You can also distribute individual cigarettes to other people with no issues.

cigars proved thick smoke and bold flavor over 90 minutes or so, remain lit easily and are easy to pass out to guests.

Pipes require packing and need relighting if you put it down for more than a minute. Plus you can't really pass them out to guests unless you keep spare corncobs.
-more difficult to smoke
-additional equipment limits sharing
>>
>>1018515

Have you ordered recently?

A lot of sites have bumped it up to 21 because of commiefornia from recent casual looks. It doesn't effect me because I'm old, but it does pop up. I know the pipes and cigars catalog I get every other month says they don't ship to those under 21.
>>
File: IMG_20170519_182852.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_182852.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
Smoking some OGS in a new estate pipe that I got today.
What would you guys call this shape?
>>
>>1018730
bullmoose
>>
>>1018723
SmokingPipes still shows 18 on their site so check with them
>>
>>1018718
what about pecan? there's an orchard behind my house so i could easily get lots of branches to fuck with
>>
>>1012419
>I kinda wonder though, why pipes went out of style at all while cigarettes are still commonly consumed.
Couple of reasons
Convenience thing (smaller, less fiddly, more sharable, easier to smoke in a car) matters as others have said. With the car the world had become much more mobile, and cigs fit that better than pipes do.
There's also marketing. Cigarettes were (and still are) marketed much more aggressively than pipes. It's a higher profit item than pipe tobacco is, because you're selling less tobacco for more money.
>>
>>1018730
A bulldog bowl with a round stem is called a Rhodesian.
>>
>>1018743
Pecan works too.
>>
Not pipe related, but where could you acquire the necessary components to roll your own cigars? Are there any kits available? I haven't checked yet (don't reeee) as the thought just occurred to me, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks
>>
>>1018793
with the captcha, its was literally more effort to post about it here, then to google it
>reeee
>>
>>1018793
The only bits you would really need are whole tobacco leaf and cigar molds in whatever size you intend to be rolling.
Those you can find at places that sell whole leaf tobacco.
Everything else you can make do with what you've got until you decide it's for you or not.
>>
Little mid-day frog morton at work.

Our new EMS station is beinng built in the middle of a sorta wooded parcel, looking forward to some more /out/sy surroundings. I can practice tent and hammock setups and shit in our evening downtime there and pipes will be way more enjoyable.

Here we sit between a volly fire station and an air strip.
>>
>>1018939
interesting rim

now that´s something i never thought i´d type ..
>>
File: 2017-05-19 14.42.58.jpg (635KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-19 14.42.58.jpg
635KB, 2048x1152px
>>1018939
Although the runway plow with a tree growing from the sand hopper is pretty damn scenic...
>>
>>1018942
Its a Baraccini. The rim was what sold me, its a pot shape if I recall. Love the finish and handfeel. Sometimes it gurgles a bit, but not awful if I dont huff and puff.
>>
>>1018944
is the light green bit the tree growing on the car?
>>
>>1018951
Yeah. Looks like a little poplar I think
>>
>>1013107
Alright, dammit, your little string of posts has me all jazzed up looking at estate pipes.

What are good brands to look for as estates?
Im looking on ebay. Is there a set of terms or some other way/other website to find more beat up pipes to try and restore?
What prices should I look for, roughly?

Would really prefer something I can work on.
>>
>>1016089
Yeah maybe have a Monster energy drink while youre at it and listen to some Five Finger Death Punch. You could make some sweet youtube vids of your vape clouds bro
>>
Thanks to the anon who posted this nifty pipe roll in a past thread by the way, if you're still here. I showed it to my wife and she got it for me for early fathers day.

It suits me perfectly. Lets me take a few smokes to work and stores well enough for /out/ this season. Plus I love the canvas and leather.

Of course, I cant resist not bringing the extra tin of Durbar, even though I have Frog Morton, Old Dublin, and Old Dark Fired in zip locks. I should have a churchwarden soon, with a little care it might fit decently too.
>>
>>1019140
Patricians choice image, my dude.
>>
>>1019129
I got the bug for a Peterson, so that's what I searched for and bid on one that looked like I could afford it.
If you're just looking for SOMETHING that catches your eye, I'd just search for "old pipe", "estate pipe", "used pipe" or "pipe lot" and go from there. You'll find all sorts of everything and some of nearly every brand, big or small.

For a pipe, especially one you're looking to restore, I wouldn't go much higher than $10, plus shipping costs. For a prestige brand like Peterson, Savinelli, Barling, Dunhill, Comoy or Sasieni, the price obviously goes up to whatever you're comfortable with-just don't get too carried away.
Don't be afraid of a bowl packed with cake, yellowed and chewed mouthpieces or even the finish being all worn off. As you saw, all of that can be fixed pretty easily-even a chewed up rim can be sanded back flat.
The thing that is a real deal breaker to me is a cracked open bowl and/or stem. Those send any pipe to the trash bin; that's why I was fretting about it so much with my Peterson.

If you want some good pipe brands to look for:
GBD, Comoy, Butz-Choquin, KB&B/Kaywoodie, Dr Grabow, Ropp, Genod, Savinelli, Chacom, Rossi, Rattray, Hardcastle, Dr Plumb, Stanwell, Barling, Charatan, Nording, Alpha, Design Berlin, and Webco. But good smoking pipes can have almost any name-or no name at all-on the stem.

I'd recommend starting out on a less valuable pipe at first. That when you screw up (and you will), you won't be too torn up about it.
>>
>>1019265
Thanks!

Just poking around this evening I actually found a couple of cool tyroleans I bid on, but I'll find a couple of less expensive options for practice before I dive in to them.
>>
File: 1491506063266.jpg (34KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1491506063266.jpg
34KB, 640x400px
>>
Strong tobacco and IPA beer. So fucking good
>>
Aaannnd day two of the set. Home stretch to tomorrow morning. A bit of Old Dark Fired in my Wessex.

This was my first pipe and at $20 smokes better than my Baraccini a lot of the time.
>>
>>1019662
Huh...lets try an image with that
>>
>>1019665
neat pipe
>>
File: IMG_7817.jpg (687KB, 2143x2607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7817.jpg
687KB, 2143x2607px
Down by the lake fishing with some Half and Half in the bowl.
One match lighting, no tongue bite and a mild smoke down to ash-I could get used to these cheap burleys.
>>
>>1011889
Clean your table and empty that ash tray
>>
>>1011901
I'd rather see the models
>>
>>1012060
You don't need a license to grow baccy in NZ unlike the communist republic of Australia. The only reason I started smoking a pipe was because pipe tobacco is the only stuff I could find that wasn't overly processed and sprayed with a million chemicals. I bet you could find some cocky selling tobacco underthe table by the side of the road,
>>
>>1011901
confirmed as failed photographer
>>
>>1020624
You think I'm a failed photographer because I don't like contrived photos? Okay then
>>
>>1020624
>>1020657
And just to clarify. I'm not against photos of real people (including women) smoking pipes. But the shots of models posing as smokers irritates me. Have a picture of a female pipesmoker
>>
>>1020617
>comment on a post that is 2 weeks old
Already done long ago.
>>
File: IMG_7820.jpg (280KB, 703x905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7820.jpg
280KB, 703x905px
>>1020659
What I find funny is that the girl in the OP-the one that started this whole kerfuffle in the first place-actually IS a pipe smoker in real life.
http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-babes-2014/

There's this perception that all the women who smoke a pipe have to be old and ugly.
But it's not true.
Some guys just have to do their "He-Man Woman-Haters Club" thing, I guess.
>>
>>1020673
That's good to know. I appreciate you bringing some light to the discussion. I'll gladly admit I was wrong about the woman not being a smoker, however it was never about "women can't be young and attractive and smokers, too." I have a friend who is an avid hunter and models in various hunting magazines so the concept of models also being participants isn't lost on me. But you're right that some of us (myself included, of course) were quick to judge the woman based on her looks.
>>
>>1020677
I understand the sensitivity, and I'm familiar with the concept.
I've seen a bunch of those where it's obvious the girls don't know what they're doing. They look like they're holding a wet frog while trying not to be scared.

That's why I chose her as the OPic.
She didn't look like that.
She looked comfortable, because it's what she already does.
>>
>>1020659
im not gonna lie, i would not pass on her
>>
tfw no pipe smoking gf
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBQUWeRFRbw
>>
>>1020659
same, especially after you read up on her
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millicent_Fenwick
>>
File: 1354.jpg (2MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1354.jpg
2MB, 1500x1125px
I think this dog i caught has autism, didn't even wanna smoke
>>
File: 20170401_145554.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_145554.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
post your fav lighter
>>
>>1022379
not my exact one, but i like it because i can angle the flame and also adjust it. i typically start with a really low flame to get the bowl going and once it's about halfway down i turn it up a bit to reach the tobacco
>>
File: 14585.jpg (6KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
14585.jpg
6KB, 280x280px
>>1022381
>>
>>1022382
doesn't the length of the lighter make it awkward? havnt tried myself, but seems to make sense in an odd way
>>
>>1022383
I haven't had any issues with the length. The first time I used it was out of necessity and I liked it much more than matches (which get blown out too quickly when I smoke in my backyard) or a Bic style lighter.
>>
>>1022385
i´ll definnitely need to try this, of nothing but then just for the laugh of carrying around a grill lighter in your jacket
>>
File: IMG_7826.jpg (601KB, 1791x1839px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7826.jpg
601KB, 1791x1839px
>>1022379
Pic related, an old Ronson Standard.
Keeps fluid and lights pipes better than a Zippo, and even a dedicated pipe lighter. Probably the best one I found outside of matches. And I've tried a LOT of different lighters.
>>
>>1022390
I haven't carried it anywhere since I only smoke at home, but yeah, I'm sure you'd raise some eyebrows.
>>
>>1022510
I love when hipsters try to justify their less-efficient, subpar choices and not just admit they got it because of "style".
>>
File: Match.jpg (108KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Match.jpg
108KB, 480x640px
>>1022379
No... No, I don't often smoke outside.
>>
>>1022517
>hipster
That's a new one.
I've been called a lot of things, but never a hipster. I promise you, I'm not very hip.

And like I said, It's my favorite for a number of reasons, and none of them are because it's rare or expensive (it's neither).
>>
File: IMG_7827.jpg (589KB, 1492x2797px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7827.jpg
589KB, 1492x2797px
965 in a cob on the lake
>>
>>1022510
thats a good looking lighter man, is the flame directional or does it just come straight out the top?
>>1022525
matches are fantastic, just the whole act of ligthing the match, holding it over the pipe, so much more satisfying in a way then a lighter, too bad you gotta be lucky to use em outside
>>1022624
looks like a great way to spend a day! hope you had fun
>>
>>1011840
What's the point of smoking a pipe? Seems to me like a mouth fedora
>>
>>1022910
>Mouth fedora

Those are vapes
>>
I used to dip and smoke. I got a tumor in my throat. had to get it removed.
>>
>>1022910
>What's the point of smoking a pipe?
the taste of the tobacco
the ritual of sitting down, taking you time, relaxing
the hobby itself, collecting, learning about tobacco, shapes/styles of pipe,

tons of stuff
>>
>>1022907
Just straight out the top. The little cap on the left covers the wick and keeps lighter fluid from evaporating so quickly. It's not as wind resistant as a Zippo, but the flame can be maneuvered into different places much more easily.
>>
>>1022910
>What's the point of smoking a pipe?
Seems to me like a mouth fedora.
It's not.
It's actually underrated. Try it yourself and see-check the OP to see how you can start for cheap.
>>
File: 13052017034.jpg (1MB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
13052017034.jpg
1MB, 3000x2250px
>>
>>1023040
never had that baccy. hows it?
>>
Do any of you age your tobacco? I read good stuff about just leaving a tin in the cellar for a year or 10.
>>
>>1023054
I´ve not gotten to that point yet,
I feel like im still exploring what i like, too much to buy the quantities of tobacco that would make sense for aging, but its definitely very interesting.
the way people talk about a tobacco changing taste over time, man id love to get more into it
>>
File: bill murray is steve zissou.jpg (262KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bill murray is steve zissou.jpg
262KB, 1600x1200px
best tobacco and why is it 965?
>>
File: 20170310_104324.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_104324.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
>>1023061
Peterson Irish flake is best girl
>>
>>1023042
top notch, ultra slow burning cross cut, real Syrian latakia, just enough orientasl to calm the beast down. take a small to medium bawl with a good draw and and this will take you to Balkan heaven.
>>
>>1023079
sounds good man, enjoy it!
>>
>>1023060
You don't need to age a crate of it. Take a tin you like and leave it in a cellar.

And while I'm a newb to smoking, fermentation should change many things.
>>
File: IMG_2196.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2196.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just bought myself my first fancy pipe lighter. Was wary at first but it works great and is easier and smaller than a box a matcheds. Also pictured is a new H&B corncob I just picked up
>>
>>1023070
Mah nigga, Irish flake is fantastic, one of my first tobaccos
>>
I see a lot of pics here with tobacco stored in jars. I've been keeping mine in ziplock bags I get from the tobacconist. Does it make a difference?
>>
>>1023095
looking good man! is that leather?
>>1023096
she wasn´t my first, but she was my first love.
wow that sounded gay as fuck
>>
File: do people levitate.jpg (50KB, 906x669px) Image search: [Google]
do people levitate.jpg
50KB, 906x669px
>>1023105
>is that leather?
more like pleather
>>
>>1023103
visually i guess, modern plastics shouldn't impart a taste should it?
>>
>>1023103
probably not. though some would argue that plastic can give off taste
which is bullshit of course.
>>
>>1023103
Plastic bags aren't airtight like jars so it only really matters if you're keeping the tobacco in there for more than a few weeks.
>>
>>1023103

I'm pretty sure mason jars seal better than ziplock bags. I know I can smell the tobacco through a bag, but not through the seal on a jar.
>>
>>1023095
ohhh! just noticed its got tools in it as well!
whats the name of it? searched the name but couldn't find it.
>>
>>1023139
I don't know the model name but it's a Vertigo brand lighter, I've had some trouble with them in the past but this one works well
>>1023105
I believe it's leather, could be pleather. Either way it works and looks good
>>
>>1022985
I'd rather not get cancer
>>
File: 20170306_173645.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_173645.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>1023201
Living causes cancer.
guess you better just hang yourself my dude!

just kidding of course, lol!
>>
>>1023201
You already are cancer.
Might as well own it and smoke too.
>>
>>1023061
Because if it wasn't you'd never believe us.
>>
>>1022510
Fell inlove as soon as I saw it. Just bought one on ebay.
>>1022517
I just got it because of 'style'
>>
>>1021683
>heh look at that guy across the river fishing and smoking a pipe
>huh that's a bit autistic
>I dunno I kind of like it.
>oh gross he just dredged up a dead duck
>is he.. is he taking a photo of it?
>w-with his pipe..
Op you have autism, god bless your soul.
>>
>>1014447
I hope your proud of yourself. You really pit in some work and it shows
>>
File: IMG_7839.jpg (62KB, 300x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7839.jpg
62KB, 300x405px
>>1023692
Quite proud. It's the most complete restoration I've done, and it came out looking very good. Not quite as good as new, but handsome nonetheless.
It's funny-at first I thought I hated the way Petes looked and now I'm crazy about that pipe, P-lip included.
I even caught myself looking for more of that same model online (309, aka Shape 4, XL339, "Dutch Billiard" and the pipe in the "thinking man" logo they still put on their accessories), only to find out that they'd been discontinued in 2013 due to low sales.
>dammit

http://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/ceci-nest-pas-une-kp-goodbye-shape-309/
>>
File: IMG_7843.jpg (1MB, 2864x1668px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7843.jpg
1MB, 2864x1668px
Pipe of the night

Small WWI-era army mount pipe filled with Three Nuns.
The night is clear, the fire is low and the only sound I hear is crickets.

It's a comfy start to a long weekend.
>>
File: IMG_7838.jpg (1MB, 2405x2104px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7838.jpg
1MB, 2405x2104px
Pipe of the night

GBD Sauvage Bulldog filled with Dark Twist
>>
>>1025807
Very interesting pattern o that bulldog
>>
>>1025948
Looks like the stitching on a baseball
>>
File: davidoff_mini_cig_gold.png (146KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
davidoff_mini_cig_gold.png
146KB, 400x400px
Are we allowed here?
>>
I've noticed my tobacco kind of retracting from the walls of my pipe as I smoke

Basicly creating hole all the way around the tobacco all the way down

What the hell is going on
I'm using a MM corn cob and Orlik
>>
>>1025997
Is the tobacco just rising as you light it? Are you able to tamp the tobacco down and eliminate the holes?
>>
>>1025954
I'm not much of a cigar smoker but I welcome all tobacco discussion
>>
>>1025949
I kind of like the way it looks, but I like the way it smokes even more. It's what made me appreciate GBDs. Just so easy to get good results with it.

>>1025997
All tobacco with moisture in it will fluff up a little and curl just before it starts to burn.
Basically it's only a problem if it messes with your draw. Then it's time to use your tamper to move things around a little.
>>
File: backwoods.jpg (66KB, 265x414px) Image search: [Google]
backwoods.jpg
66KB, 265x414px
I used to enjoy cheep cigars (Backwoods, etc) when /out/. I would never smoke cigars any other time, it was only for the special occasion of going on a long hike or campout or both.

Sadly I quit smoking ciggies a few months ago and I fear my days of enjoying cigars are over. I feels like I'll be on the verge of taking-up smoking again for the rest of my life, and puffing a sweet terbacky cigar innawoods might just turn me back to the dark side. Like with addictive drugs or alcohol, when you quit ciggies you're never fully back from the brink, you're perpetually just "recovering". Feels bad.
>>
>>1026000
>>1026038
It's not the fluffing up. It's like maybe 1-2 minutes into the smoke
>>
>>1026090
The tobacco will continue unfurling as you smoke since the ember will be passed down through the bowl. But beyond that explanation I'm not sure why. Could be the way you're packing the tobacco. Also, make sure the flame is touching the tobacco in the center of the bowl when you light it.
>>
>>1018742
Yeah, and they don't really have much in the way of age verification anyways, other than just ticking a box as far as I can tell. With pipes and cigars I actually had to send in a picture of my ID (normally they can just use census data, but I hadn't been living in the US for long enough). Another one that I know that is also just over 18 is 4noggins.com, but their site is pretty outdated, to be honest, so smokingpipes is a lot easier to use to find what you want.
>>
>>1019140
I totally agree that the culture around vaping is cringe as fuck, but at the same time, I kind of agree with other anon that if you're concerned with the health problems of tobacco and are looking to quit, it's not a bad choice, especially since the first person said that they were looking to regain their sense of smell, which smoking a pipe really would not help with. I think that for the sake of people who are looking to quit smoking, it would be great if the culture around vaping would change so it could be easier. I'm not really looking to quit smoking myself, but I totally get why people want to.
>>
File: 2356127349404ewq213.jpg (25KB, 355x507px) Image search: [Google]
2356127349404ewq213.jpg
25KB, 355x507px
>>1026202
im not sure i understand what your saying, or f you understand what im, saying, lol

so i tried making a picture, the black is the hole/gap that starts to form after a while, the grey is the ember-base.

yellows corncob ofcourse
>>
>>1026253
and then sometimes the black/hole/gap gets even larger
>>
>>1026253
Someone in another thread had the same issue where the tobacco would only burn down the sides of the bowl faster and leave a hole or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure what the explanation is. I have the opposite problem which is noticeable when I tamp the bowl where the tobacco around the edge will be higher and it's concave in appearance. Sorry, m8, I'm not sure. Does it happen with different cuts and in a different pipe?
>>
>>1026258
it happens with my corncob and my White Star.
no other.

the thing is, its fairly recent thing with my corncob, had it on the white star from day one, but its only recently developed on my corncob.

i have a friend who studies physics, and he was pretty fascinated by it, he recons its that if a pipe has a larger surface area in the bottom, its more likely to make draft along the edge, so the wider bottom, the more draft, i´m a dummy so i dont know if he is right or not, but the White Star does seem to have a fairly wide chamber bottom, and you know how the shank on a MM corncob goes all the way through? the sides of the shank at the bottom of my MM corncob have basically filled up so its flush. could that be it?

man. i dunno.
>>
Are bongs actually for tobacco/ is there a proper way to use it with them?

What's the effect of drawing tobacco smoke into the mouth and releasing, other than bad breath?
>>
>>1026272
>Are bongs actually for tobacco/ is there a proper way to use it with them?
im not sure but i im pretty sure thats how chinese water-pipes work before they switches exclusively to opium.

seen a bunch of the for sale on local antic stores, ,might get one if they actually work with tobacco and not just opium

>What's the effect of drawing tobacco smoke into the mouth and releasing, other than bad breath?

well. not sure how to break this to you, but thats basicly how you smoke a pipe
>>
>>1026272
You can absorb nicotine without inhaling if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>1026279
>>1026280
That's why I'm wonder but it seems like you need to inhale with water pipes and hookahs. I know you can and it's obviously a much slower absorption process; what my question is whats the actual debate of mouth vs lungs? Less healthy, less effective?
>>
>>1026286
pipe is mouth exclusively. basically
>>
>>1026286
It's definitely less healthy to draw smoke into your lungs. The water in hookahs and bongs helps to filter a fraction of the shit in the smoke (mainly the tar, I believe) but it's not enough to make it safe. I'm not very experienced with them aside from smoking some of them at hookah bars, but the appeal is that the smoke is nice and cool and very flavorful. You don't necessarily need to inhale.
>>
on hookahs and water pipes and stuff

i´m good friends with a couple of guys from Syria due to work,

and since the pipe, as westerners know it is basicly unheard of, and only known from old films

one of the guys literally asked me "if it actually worked"

they tried a few pipes of my tobacco, had a fun time talking about latakia, kind of as an ice breaker, I tried some of the water pipe stuff, we both agreed we prefered our own stuff and laughed about it.

also, if you think middle easterners dont drink, man, i had some raqqa, its the name of a town but i couldnt figure out if it was from there or what.

basically, if youve ever had absinth, it was kinda like that, but the anise flavor was turned up to 11, and it was a milky white collour
>>
>>1026294
>raqqa,
no damn you auto correct
i meant Arak
>>
>>1026301
>>1026294
That sounds just like turkish rakı, so I'm kind of guessing it's similar. It's essentially just vodka made from grapes (not grape flavored, though) that is then flavored with anise. It's clear in the bottle, but turns cloudy when you add water because the flavor oils from the anise don't mix readily with water. Kind of cool, imo, and a great drink.
>>
>>1026344
>(not grape flavored, though)
i honestly have no clue what "american" ... "grape" flavor is
>>
File: 1036-article_item.jpg?2016.jpg (43KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
1036-article_item.jpg?2016.jpg
43KB, 630x354px
>>1026383
pic related and grape bubblegum always come to mind. american "grape" flavor is a super sweet candy version of grape and tastes artificial as fuck
>>
File: assad.png (373KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
assad.png
373KB, 600x775px
>>1026294
>latakia

I hope they supported /ourguy/ anon
>>
File: IMG_7859.jpg (731KB, 1693x2116px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7859.jpg
731KB, 1693x2116px
Finishing off the last of my 965 in the GBD.

Just as good as the first bowl-the little flavors of the Latakia are dancing-and smoking it last time made me remember just how good this pipe is. The draw is so easy it almost smokes itself. A real treat, and a nice way to end the long weekend.
>>
>>1026286
Hookah and bongs use water mostly to cool down the smoke. This combined with the moisture makes it less irritating to the lungs when it is inhaled.

And the lungs have over 2500x the surface area of the mouth and nose combined. This makes absorption much more immediate and massive than the normal method of smoking a pipe.
>>
>>1012318
My grandpa made it to 86 in spite of spending his entire adult life smoking a half dozen bowls of Sir Walter Raleigh a day.
>>
>>1011840
Captain Black Royal(fit for a king) is the only tobacco I will smoke in my corn cob.
>>
>>1026657
Not me.
Cobs work well with almost anything, so that's what I smoke in them.
>>
>>1026655
86 isn't that old to die to natural causes actually.
Also this is the worst defense for the safety of anything, tobacco of any kind increases the risk of cancer, not only the smoke but the tobacco itself is a carcinogen.
Not expected to be a carcinogen, but is one.

If you are pipe smoking correctly and not doing it every day of the week, all day, then I assume there is something else in your life that will give you cancer.
>>
>>1026839
>86 isn't that old
Yes it is.
That's a good, full and long life.
That's longer than the average life expectancy for someone born TODAY, let alone when he was born.

For reference, both of my grandfathers were temperance preachers. One didn't even drink caffeine-he died at 73 of a heart attack. The other one died of Alzheimer's at 82.
So I'm inclined to say anon's pipe smoking gramps did pretty well for himself, considering.
>>
File: 12165.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
12165.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I think I'll try making one lads. Got some briar burl and carving tools, wish me luck. I know rudimentary woodwork but some things give me pause.

I hear its a good idea to filter it to not suck ash and steam. How do?

Also is tung oil a good varnish for the outside or something else commonly available like linseed and beeswax?
>>
>>1026839
Slipping in the bathroom has at least 10x the odds of killing you than tobacco. If you're that worried, how many handrails have you installed in your shitter?

My mom never touched a dangerous substance. She never eats meat, smokes or drinks. Both tits out for breast cancer.

An iota risk from pipesmoke is insignificant. Simply not doing stuff you like is more lethal by stress
>>
File: 12174.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
12174.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1026871
Holes aligned. May have made the airhole a bit big, dunno.

Regarding age. I know people like to jerk themselves into a frenzy over elon musk and crispr saving us from mortality but fact remains a) magic science can save from cancer too and until its there b) passing 80s will wreck younwitg joint pain, frailty, Alzheimer's spectrum diseases, impotence and oh yeah, death of loved ones.

Just enjoy life responsibly
>>
>>1026884
How big did you make the airhole?
Most unfiltered pipes' draft holes are 3-4mm if metric, and 3/32-5/32 if American.
To drill out the stem for filters just drill the stem and mouthpiece holes wider.
There are 2 common filter diameters, 6mm and 9mm. The 6mm filters are usually 6cm (2-1/4") long, and 9mm filters are about 35mm (1-3/8") long
>>
>>1026896
To follow on, you drill both a little wider so that the filter stands out a little bit when you separate the mouthpiece from the bowl. This makes it easy to grab and change.
>>
>>1026902
OK so its actually the stem tenon that accepts the filter, in a slot?

And I made the hole quarter inch wide. But I think the mouthpiece hole will mitigate it's draft rate.
>>
>>1026871
The regular filters don't necessarily filter ash, just excess moisture. Go for an activated charcoal filter if you insist on using anything at all.
>>
>>1026908
I've seen both ways, but most of them have the mortise holding the bulk of the filter.
Both styles work.
You just have to decide which way you want your pipe to be.
>>
>>1026920
They block most of it from reaching your mouth by mere fact of being there. That's good enough for me.
>>
Do you guys know what dottle is? If you're getting ash in your mouth you're smoking too far into the bowl. Leave some dottle instead.
>>
>>1026931
I smoke my cobs no differently than any other pipe I have. I have to watch that I don't suck ash on my cobs; I don't have to do that with anything else, just smoke it thoughtlessly. The only difference is the cob's draw hole is 3x the size of any other pipe's.
So yes, draw hole size matters.
>>
>>1026993
And I'm not trying to smoke everything to only fine white ash. There's still dottle.
I'd just rather not leave 1/4 bowlful of tobacco in the bottom of my cobs all the time.
>>
>>1026993
Of course draw hole matters, but what sort of cobs are you smoking? I have seven assorted ones from Missouri Meerschaum and I've yet to have the problem you're having. Do you know the model name? I'd like to avoid that particular one, not trying to sound like an ass.
>>
>>1027030
Have three of them that do that.
Two drugstore Legends and a Twain.
But since they all take filters, and the filters prevent that, that's what I keep in them.
>>
>>1027047
I take out my filters on all my pipes, cob and otherwise, so I guess I'm just lucky
>>
>>1026867
>>1026879
Did not pay attention to my point at all, I didn't say pipe smoking would kill you, I said that anecdotal evidence doesn't matter at all. Just because gramps lived a good while shooting up heroin doesn't mean heroin isn't bad for you, so don't go telling people something isn't unhealthy just because you yourself haven't seen it.
Never said I'm too worried about it either, I smoke cigarettes more than out of a pipe and that's even worse.

If someone asks if their health is at risk you shouldn't be giving false information, either link them to studies or tell them the truth: Pipe smoking can cause mouth cancer and rarely lung cancer. It's not as dangerous as inhaling smoke but its risks should be weighed.
>>
>>1027147
You didn't say anything like that, or at least not so clearly. Go read what you wrote again.
I get what you're saying, and I agree-Anecdotal evidence is just that. My own bigger point in bringing up lifespans was there's a lot of variation anyway-some people have got shit genes, some don't, some are unlucky, others aren't.

Does pipe smoking cause forms of cancer? Of course it does, and I 'm not arguing that. As for myself, I do point people to those studies, and do tell them there's a risk of cancer with it. But I also tell them that it's less of a risk than smoking cigarettes, because the smoke isn't (supposed to be) inhaled. And the research supports that.
>>
>>1027269
Maybe not as clear as I intended, no.

It's very important to me that one a younger person asks the risks of some hobby (be it rock-climbing, pipe smoking, in some cases even weed) that the more experienced users are transparent.
I should of explained myself better, instead I should of directly responded to the poster and explained to them the risks, because that's what we should do.

Don't over-blow the risks to scare them but make sure they know that their are risks.
>>
>>1027391
Ok, sorry if we're unclear. You'd have to be at least a little retarded to miss all the anti-smoking propaganda. Everyone here knows they're playing around with a non-zero dose of a carcinogen. It's kidna assumed you know what you're getting into.

The other lads are defensive because pipe aint as bad as darts, by several orders of magnitude.
>>
File: 12177.jpg (905KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
12177.jpg
905KB, 3264x2448px
OK I wanted to test a rough pipe outline and remove the worn/oxidized crust. Ordered some number 10 vulcanite stems off ebay. There's a big bump under the stem that has no purpose and can be trimmed for weight.

What bowl shape should I go for?
>>
>>1027644
A bent billiard shape would look good with the chunk you've got.
>>
Since most of us are in north america, has anyone thought of buying tobacco from a reserve and smoking/curing it for later use? I hear a massive duffle bag of darts is like 20bux there so it should be cheap if illegal. Or is their tobacco ass?
>>
>>1027900
Do you mean a Native American reservation? I should look into that since I live fairly close to one. No idea about if they grow tobacco or the quality, though. If it's cheap enough it'd be worth looking in to especially if you're going to cure it, case it, whatever. The quality doesn't have to be stellar since you're going to improve upon it through whatever process you choose.
>>
>>1027661
seconding this
>>
>>1028458
Thanks. I'm gonna get the stem and the steel ring that keeps burl from cracking, then resume carving.
>>
File: IMG_7529.jpg (19KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7529.jpg
19KB, 400x225px
>>1028537
You probably don't need a steel ring.

Those are usually for stems that have ALREADY cracked, or as stem protectors in "army mount" pipes like pic related, or System-type Petersons. Those pipes are specifically designed for the mouthpiece to be removable while the pipe is still hot.
For most other pipes, they're supposed to be disassembled only after they've cooled down.
>>
File: 20170601_150014.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170601_150014.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
A god day
>>
>>1028793
*good
>>
>>1028794
What difference does it make?
>>
File: 20170523_134428.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_134428.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1028863
You tell me
>>
File: Pipas.jpg (2MB, 3605x2569px) Image search: [Google]
Pipas.jpg
2MB, 3605x2569px
I have not posted for almost a year but I am very glad that our battle to have a Pipe Thread in /out/ is over

Now time for OC

To the poster that keeps posting nightly reviews, please keep doing it I absolutely loved that you were doing those when the Pipe Threads first started!!
>>
File: pepos (3).jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
pepos (3).jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1028888
I have found a home for those pipes and have added a few more to my collection, mostly leather clad Meerschaum and another Peterson since the above picture

Building my own pipe cabinet for the remaining Churchwardens and others that did not fit in the Sherlock Holmes cabinet
>>
>>1026871
>>1026884
>>1028888
Pick up some Carnauba Wax and hit it with a buffing wheel at slow speeds for Briar

It should be available from a Pipe store, from Amazon or elsewhere
>>
File: IMG_7877.jpg (1MB, 2043x2066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7877.jpg
1MB, 2043x2066px
Always a good time fishing.
>>
File: IMG_7882.jpg (218KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7882.jpg
218KB, 1000x750px
>>1028863
If you need to have a godly smoke...
>>
>>1028793
Clean that damn rim, Mads. I know they're cheap, but shit man, just spit on a rag and wipe that off
>>
>>1029039
If I have an iron spike to use as a tamper I'll be happy
>>
File: IMG_7744.jpg (83KB, 441x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7744.jpg
83KB, 441x437px
>>1029108
You should see how a cob looks when it has 1,400 bowls put through it.
It starts looking like a freehand.
>>
Question:

Does anyone know the penalty for trying to bring counterfeit cigars across the Cuban border?

Do you go to commie jail, get fined or just have them taken away?
>>
>>1029298
Thanks to one of Obama's last actions, it's legal to bring some over for personal use.
You can't buy them here, and no business can legally import them, but if you buy them overseas, you can now bring in up to 100 without penalty.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/limits-slashed-on-cuban-cigars-19049
>>
>>1014508
Pipes have filters?
>>
>>1018518
Too much cardio
>>
>>1018939
Local area doesn't have frog Morton, but I got a local whiskey blend.
>>
>>1029349
OK but I was asking about a)the illegal knock off kind and b) the Cuban authorities.

See, there is a large underground cigar industry and its pretty much par for the real ones. They sell for 80-20$ a box depending on your haggling skills.

I want to know how much trouble I'm in if caught
>>
>>1029424
Cuba won't care that you ship them out, and the US won't care if you bring them in. But the moment you try selling those things as real brand name Cuban cigars, it becomes a felony.
Up to 10 years for the first offense, hefty fines, AND they destroy your shit.
https://www.naw.org/govrelations/advisory.php?articleid=563
>>
>>1029242
Damn, that looks fucking nice. I clean my rims by default on all my pipes but I might actually stop doing it on my corncobs just to get that effect.
>>
File: adsorba-sm.jpg (204KB, 1000x531px) Image search: [Google]
adsorba-sm.jpg
204KB, 1000x531px
>>1029366
Yeah, some do like in pic related
>>
File: 20170602_202623.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170602_202623.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
All those birds though
>>
>>1029596
Where's that?
Looks like some kind of amphitheater, looks kinda relaxing.
>>
Is smoking a filter pipe without a filter bad or can I safely do that?
I bought en estate pipe online and it turned out to be a filter pipe, but I have never used filters..
>>
>>1029678
Don't bother with the filter if you don't want to use it. I discard all mine if they come with a new pipe and I haven't had any issues.
>>
>>1029678
Most of the time, the filters are completely optional.
On some designs, like the Carey Magic Inch design, the filter is absolutely essential for the pipe to function properly. But for most pipes, it's personal preference.
>>
>>1029742
>>1029760
Good to know, thanks. Ill keep on smoking it filterless. It's this one >>1018730 btw.
At first I couldnt understand why the tenon was so big, but then I remembered filters and it made sense.
>>
File: IMG_7886.jpg (804KB, 2019x1928px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7886.jpg
804KB, 2019x1928px
Pipe of the night
1930s KBB triangle stem "Rocky Briar" loaded with War Horse

Can't say for sure, but I think the Rocky Briar line was KBB's line positioned between Kaywoodie at the top and Yello Bole at the bottom. It looks great and smokes like a champ.
These 1930s KBBs are fantastic-some of the very best the company ever made-and the off brands can be very affordable. For a $10 pipe, it's a steal.
>>
Any cigar smokers here? What do you like taking out?
>>
File: 20170602_203207.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170602_203207.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1029602
It IS an amphitheatre!. Very comfy spot.
>>
>>1029927
was it used to be roman?
>>
>>1029929
nah, was build in the 50´ as part of some great pseudo-utopian city planning project
>>
>>1029846
How do you like war horse?
>>
File: 4768f.jpg (90KB, 676x600px) Image search: [Google]
4768f.jpg
90KB, 676x600px
Ultralight general reporting in. Muh pipe
>>
>>1030113
Eltang project: sailor pipe

Nice! Tom is a very nice person. Had the pleasure of shaking his hand about a month ago at a pipe gathering at the Danish pipe shop. Great guy. Showed off some of his new stuff. Too expensive for my wallet at the moment though

Great pipe dude! Can you post OC as I've been wondering about the diameter of the inside of the stem
>>
>>1030148
Sry, broken my phone (hence, camera). Buying new SD-card for my old camera come Tuesday... Will snap some then...
>>
>>1030087
Strong, but familiar.
It's pretty potent stuff, but not very harsh. I read a review that said it tasted like the original formulation of Three Nuns (VA, dark fired and perique). I wouldn't know, because I've never had the original 3Ns, but like the new formula I've tried.
WH is stronger and with a spicier edge than new style 3N, which is probably due to the plug tobacco presentation and the presence of perique in the blend. Because it comes in a plug you have to cut off thin slivers to smoke it, but that's not hard. And once it's been done a couple of times you can crumble chunks off the block pretty easily and use them to fill your pipe.
>>
File: IMG_7916.jpg (792KB, 1737x1854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7916.jpg
792KB, 1737x1854px
Pipe of the night
Butz Choquin full bent with 3 Nuns

This pipe and tobacco just sing together. A nice ending to a nice weekend.
>>
Have another post
>>
>>1029867
Yes but I'm the casual above that said he liked fake cohibas, so I wouldn't say I have taste.

Mine is "second cheapest, not covered in leathery bluntwrap".

That said, man I wanna go back to Cuba and trade my old cell for a box of fatties. Oh and pick up brown girls
>>
>>1029867
Negro you can't go wrong. Fuck the h8ers!
>>1026040
>>
>>1029867
The only ones I take out are Bandidos cheroots. They're dry cured so they don't need a humidor and they're cheap as hell without tasting terrible (though they aren't great by any means, but serviceable.) I keep some in my car and some in a backpack I always use. They've yet to let me down
>>
>>1031293
That is one aesthetic pipe.
>>
File: 7b2.jpg (21KB, 418x323px) Image search: [Google]
7b2.jpg
21KB, 418x323px
>>1031475
>>
File: IMG_7920.jpg (1009KB, 1442x1005px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7920.jpg
1009KB, 1442x1005px
>>1031474
Indeed
I saw it and said immediately
>suck it Magritte
>C'est un pipe
>>
NEW THREAD >>1031492
NEW THREAD >>1031492
NEW THREAD >>1031492
>>
>>1018500
Hell Ill take it, looks good
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 88

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.