[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever have something like this happen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_5126.jpg (5MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5126.jpg
5MB, 3264x2448px
I was hiking along and I stepped on some upper meadow type of plants, they are all over, but these plants were hiding a mud puddle. You can see my leatherman for scale.
>>
File: IMG_5127.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5127.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
but I couldn't feel the bottom of the puddle and it made me think of the "what happens to the missing hikers" thread. Luckily I fell forward and was able to grab the "bank" or edge of the hole.
>>
File: IMG_3895.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3895.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is what I was walking on
>>
>>1011091
Somebody call David Paulides!
>>
In the South, these are sometimes called Sloughs, though I think it's an incorrect term. Regardless, you'd do well to pay attention to the terrain and plant life in that area. Sometimes larges patches of plant or fungal life will spread over what's effectively a forest sinkhole. Water's rise and fall brings just enough soil to the top, the water sits underneath, and it looks solid. Then you step, and down you go.
>>
Looks like a bog to me. I lost a nice boot to one a few years back when I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. You gotta use a trekking pole or a stick in bog country
>>
>>1011090
This happened to me when I was hunting last fall. Tried to sneak up to a pond to jump sure ducks and all of a sudden half of my body is in the mud and I'm still sinking. Told my dad about it and he said that entire area is filled with sinkholes and shit.
>>
>>1011090
This is another reason I like my trusty hiking pole, for poking things like this
>>
>>1011090
bigfoot footprint
>>
Well that's pretty fuckin' scary.
>>
>>1011196
David Paulides pls
>>
File: bog-snorkelling-620x400.jpg (106KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
bog-snorkelling-620x400.jpg
106KB, 620x400px
>>1011090
Don't walk through bogs if you can avoid it. Otherwise go slow and do as >>1011099 says and use you pole to feel it out.
Or dress accordingly. Pic related.
>>
>>1011090
Should have brought a Mora instead
>>
File: 0000188a.jpg (3MB, 4840x4880px) Image search: [Google]
0000188a.jpg
3MB, 4840x4880px
>>1011090
Looks like the bogs we have locally (bottom left image). They are essentially death traps. Some of those watery muddy holes can be 15 feet deep. The boardwalk through one has pilings that are 25 feet to keep it from sinking, yet it just looks like a long floating dock-like walk way.
>>
>>1011090
when I was 12, I once fell waist deep into one of these fuckers. in wintertime too. shit was spooky.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_mat

Or bogs. Used to do conservation work in such areas. You'd be standing on a patch of grass only to suddenly find one leg balls deep into the water. Good thing we did the work in summer.
>>
lil' background music for this thread

https://youtu.be/WxgmAwoqr4E
>>
>>1011090
Nice sphagnum moss you found. Those holes can go pretty deep, had a buddy who fell in one and was up to his neck holding on to some cat tails. Check out bodies they've found in those hundreds of years old beautifully preserved because everything takes so long to decay.
>>
>>1011100
>I was hunting last fall.
I actually was hunting grouse. From my pic the hole was only as round as the muddy part, everything else was solid ground as I was standing next to the hole.
>>
>>1011090
We have a bog by where I grew up that is approximately 50 foot deep but has so much moss built up on the surface that there are full grown trees standing on it and they sway if you jump on the mat. I've heard stories about people falling through, but AFAIK it's never been confirmed and the park rangers keep it locked up pretty tight, so I doubt it.

Either way, you don't want to fall through the mat and have to try and fight your way back to the surface because 9 times out of ten you will loose that fight. Please be more careful where you are walking.
>>
When you're in country like that, always keep hold of a nice walking stick
They're good at poking in front of you to check the ground, and in the case you do step into a deep one you can prop it across the hole on whatever mostly solid bits you can find to climb out, or at least not sink further.
>>
>>1011979
I was hiking out in the par 40 at the local Boy Scout camp looking for a spot for a new campsite, and ran into one of those.
It just looks like the rest of the woods, but if you jump or stomp, the ground ripples.
It's like ten feet of moss and mat, but it's still bizarre. My walking stick saved my ass when I eventually fell in, it went sideways and I used it to pull myself out.
>>
>>1011979
seconding this. I live next to a bog exactly like that and a few dozen people have been killed there hiking, picking berries or mushroom hunting.
>now you see me, now you don't
>>
File: 1473917179706.jpg (2MB, 2183x2936px) Image search: [Google]
1473917179706.jpg
2MB, 2183x2936px
just take a swim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2s5jFFjncE
>>
Thanks /out/ now I have a new fear. For the better I guess.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.