[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone figure out this compasses directional system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4936.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4936.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I have never seen a compass that goes from 0-62 (unidentified units.)its not minutes nor degrees. I am wholly unfamiliar with it.
Anyone know what system its using. Its an old brenton
>>
>>1010542
Those are mil-radians. They are used to find offsets. 1 mil = a one meter error at 1000 meters.

6200 means it was for a foreign military.

For more info - http://www.compassdude.com/compass-units.php
>>
>>1010547
Thanks for the info.... thats really strange.... its been in the family for a while..
>>
>>1010547
It doesnt mean foreign necessarily. Artillery uses radians and also pretty much the only reason you need a mirror. So thats probably an artillery compass.
>>
>>1010553
Yes but American mil-radians are 6400 to a circle. 6200 implies different country regulations.
>>
>>1010561
Annnnd I'm an idiot. I just took another look at the pic and saw the missing 200 inbetween 6200 and 0. Making it an American 6400. I need more coffee.
>>
File: hurrbears.jpg (123KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
hurrbears.jpg
123KB, 960x540px
>6200
Care to have a look at the section between 62 and 0?
>>
>>1010563
Op here thats my fault i said it only went to 62.
Just another reminder that op is always fag
>>
>>1010542
Sure friendo, a google search of "0-64 compass" yielded plenty of answers. Here is the best result:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RealTruthAboutMilDots.asp

Have a good day and high accuracy with the artillery you call in.
>>
>>1010569
Yeah sadly its missing all manufacturing and id material on it.
>>
>>1010566
How dare you. You pig rapist.
>>
>>1010586
I could tell you why some special units get shit without manufacturing marks. And it is not government secrecy.

But i would wind up dead in a government park after committing sucide with 2 shots in the back of the head.

Just postulate, on your own, why military suppliers would ship freebies to the dominant units.
>>
>>1010542
It's a Brunton M2 made by Ainsworth in Denver Colorado. Military issue.
Brunton still sells very similar pocket transits today. New, they range from $350-$500.
>>
>>1011837
Do you have a link to a comprable brunton compass with a level and a baro? They all have mirrors now evem though that is retatded except for artillery.

Can you post proof this is a brunton?
>>
>>1011846
The mirror is so you can see who's lost! Actually most all sighting compasses have a mirror so you can hold the compass at arms length and read the bearing of the landmark you are sighting on.

It says "Ainsworth Denver Colo." on the face. They made the Brunton M2. Look it up. Pretty common. You can get working but beat up ones off eBay for as little as $50.
>>
>>1011847
I will take your word for the trademark i dont care about that now. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT THE MIRROR IS FOR. you would haveto subtract 180 to het your reading. The standard mil compas has a magnifying glass with a mark on the direction once lined up in the viewfinder.

I have heard all kind of excuses for mirrors on compasses on this board, normally back tracing which is almost valid for what they are designed for.

But mirrored compasses are for ligning up artillery and mortars. Otherwise, turn around.
>>
>>1011867
Serious question, without a mirror to sight properly what compass is better at triangulation and forming maps based on far away landmark?
And what 180 thing are you talking about, you sight a landmark and the read reading is just that, no flipping it at all.
>>
>>1010542
it's 0 to 6400 nigger and it's mils
>>
>>1010542
360 degrees = 6400 mils
OP compass dial goes from 0 to 6400 (0 to 360)
on that dial 6400 is at the 0 mark
just like 360 degrees on a conventional compass is at the 0 mark
>>
>>1011867
dude, if you had the compass out in front pointed due north, and the mirror flipped up, the arrow will still point at zero...

optical reflection doesn't reverse magnetism
>>
File: silva.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
silva.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>1013922
Other compasses often have a view port on the compass housing. You look along that like pic related and can see the bearing, works fine.

Flipping 180 (3200mil) you would only do if you want the back bearing from the feature to yourself, rather from yourself to the feature. Useful when finding your position. You get the back bearing from 3 features you can identify on both the map and the ground, convert the mag back bearings to grid back bearings by adding the current MV of the map you are using, then draw these lines from the features on the map. They'll meet in a small triangle which is roughly your position.
>>
>>1015204
I've used compasses like you described in the field before, in particular cave mapping.
So if am I correct, you are saying that while the mirror can effectively sight, a view port is easier UNLESS one needs to line up two features, like artillery might?
>>
>>1015213
I think they're just as easy as each other, it's just a difference in design. Mirror designs are more aimed towards shooting very accurate bearings for fire support, artillery etc, while others are more aimed towards general navigation? Some of the features on OP's one like the spirit level you don't need to simply get around
>>
>>1015222
Well I was assuming we weren't talking about general navigation, I've had to use mirror designs to create maps of large areas where equipment would be hard to enter. I understand artillery needs to be extremely precise, but I feel a mirror design is great for sighting distances thousands of meters away.
Of course both would work for this purpose, and I have had used both designs.
>>
Currently in a Mortar Platoon and have been a Fire Controller. We don't use the mirrors to line up our shots brobeans. We don't even use those compasses, most of us go out and fork out for a Silva that we can rely on and doesn't take up a shit ton of space.

You'll also find that the majority of nations not stuck in the past have Laser Range Finders that will lase a TGT and if you hook it up to a GPS, will give you a 10 figure grid out to about 6km. It's cheat mode.
>>
In addition, the mirrors are so you can read the numbers when it's up to your eye. But the only reason you're giving a direction when you're calling in fire is because it's a. A polar mission, or B. The direction for adjustment, which doesn't have to be mega accurate because you're moving with troops.
>>
>>1011867

I have a geologic brunton, and the mirror is used for sighting landmarks or as a signaling device. And yes, you do have to flip what the white arrow is pointing to 180 degrees to get the correct reading, but that's just a fact of life as its a multi use instrument. You use it for navigation and mapping features, hence why it has a clinometer.
>>
File: 20170517_195432.jpg (218KB, 1716x965px) Image search: [Google]
20170517_195432.jpg
218KB, 1716x965px
In fact, here, have a figure from the Compton field manual, the one every geologist should own a copy of that has all the good details on how to run a field study.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.