[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Backpacks/Rucksacks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: images.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Hey /out/, I'm new to this board but figured you guys might be able to help me with a gear purchase.

What are some of the best ruck packs out on the market right now? Additionally, what are some excellent backpacks/rucksacks for EDC? Right now I'm checking out Maxpedition and Goruck, but I'm not sure if these bags are worth the price tag.
>>
>>1010507
/out/ is a slow board so feel free to use the catalog

you will probably find the best place to ask that kind of question is

>>1007099
or
>>1005297
>>
Goruck is kind of a meme.

Ive been really appreciating stuff from Hill People Gear. US made, efficient, and their shoulder harness system is one of the most comfortable Ive used to date.

I have their Tarahumara which is basically a day pack or a compression panel to a larger pack, their 'Original' Kit Bag and their bike frame bag.

The Tarahumara has a surprising capacity for something its size and Ill probably slap a compression sack on the back this year for some clothing layers or a light sleeping bag. I actually cary this bag at work also as a light 24 hour bag.

Check em out.

Other than that Ive been pleased with my Mountainsmith bag for backpacking and they are nice quality plus a nice warranty for their price.

For an EDC type bag though Im looking at Blue Force Gears Jedburgh pack. Kinda pricey but its understated and versatile and the modularity would really suit my needs without looking like Im trying to play Marine.
>>
>>1010507
Hill People Gear
Tactical Tailor
maybe First Spear
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Eberlestock is made in Vietnam, but still good

Don't buy some faggy goruck "ruck" that's just an expensive backpack

I've got a TT RR5100 ruck, which is excellent. Also, got a few HPG packs
>>
Greetings, I bought the Maxpedition Malaga over 5 years ago and I have used it in all my hiking and expedition around the AT and Quebec's mountains. My bag definitely looks beated and used, but still holds strong after all these years. I also use it in my EDC. The only complain I have is the size. The Malaga is a bit of a small size if you are going on a multiday Hike. But I have adapted it using carabiners here and there to hold other stuff very successfully. I am also a fan of sling backpack since I bought that one.
>>
>>1010507
I've been disappoint with anything osprey, for edc or out.
Currently rocking the atmos 50 and daylite.

I'm also a big fan of those light packable bags for going to the gym and junk.
>>
>>1011877
Hewboy, I've NEVER been disappointed.
Tablet posting problems...
>>
>>1010507
Edc is pretty easy. Jansport. Nothing beats the price point. Also >>>/fa/

Now if you want my help to select an actual pack, just ask.
>>
>>1011126
Been lurking here for a while.
Seriously what the fuck is a rucksack
>>
>>1010507
OP here. Pretty much settled on a Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. I really liked the design of the single strap packs, especially since I'm trying to get something rugged without being overtly military in its aesthetic.

>>1011806
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Maxpedition similar in content to this poster's experience and I've decided that they're probably the closest to what I'm looking for.
>>
>>1011942
German for backpack
>>
>>1011942
Daft fella
>>
My go to daypack, and even overnight pack is my camelback hog. I got no signatured it back in the army. Never really used it in the army other than playin opfor.

But 3l of water and it holds my tent, warm weather bag, and 2 days worth of food easy. I could probably do 100miles in just my hog.

I also have a medium and a large pack. Which are used for different things.

So what do you want to actually do? And dont fucking say everything
>>
>>1012125

Not OP, but what is a good pack around 40 - 50l which would be good for 2-3 nights /out/ (assuming there is a water source nearby). I want to ditch the big pack and boots in exchange for being lighter and more nimble, without being a richfag and spending excessive amounts of money on gear.

Also am in Europe.
>>
>>1012136
If i was buying a pack tomorrow i would probably buy an osprey expos with your consideratios. My medium pack is a rush72, which was free from the army so i don't complain (much). But it is heavy. An expos or an atmos at the 40l sizewill be your medium pack for many years.
>>
>>1010507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtKR49Su0HM
>>
>>1012125
OP here. Day hikes, up to two day hikes, in hilly areas, plains, lakeside woods, etc. Easy stuff. Also, something that is very easy to open up and engage on the fly, water resistant, and subdued enough to EDC w/out looking like a moron.

So basically everything.
>>
>>1012257
Well atleast you narrowed it down to 2-3 days max. You don't need anything larger than 40l. Also, since you want to do bottomland stuff i would reccomend a sturdy, although heavier, nylon pack. The atmos is a good pack but it is not edc unless you want to look like a german tourist. The rush 72 is pretty spot on, although everyone will think you're exmil, its VERY heavy, and the ones i saw at academy a few months ago were shit quality compared to mine.

So just take my recommendations into account and shop around.
>>
File: IMGP1695-3-2.jpg (2MB, 3151x4627px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1695-3-2.jpg
2MB, 3151x4627px
i like my backpack its comfy
>>
>>1012320
>weeb shit on /out/ gear
Absolutely disgusting and I'm as weeb as it gets.
>>
>>1012320
That pack is tiny but also has molle everywhere. It doesnt have a waist strap or under straps and has a horrible access system.

Do you feel operator though?
>>
File: 82997_ts.jpg (102KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
82997_ts.jpg
102KB, 1155x1155px
Would a cheap, surplus rucksack be alright?
>>
>>1012706
Depends on application. Hiking? E&E? EDC? Grayman? Urban/Wilderness? BOB/INCH Bag? etc. There really isn't a cover-all solution imo.
>>
>>1012706
Looks like you're going to miss a proper hip-belt with that bag. Many surplus bags don't have good/any hip belts since they're meant to work along with a rig.
If you're going to hike any serious distance you need a good hip belt - you' want to carry most of the weight on that.
>>
File: p-12887-4914.gif (1MB, 1352x2160px) Image search: [Google]
p-12887-4914.gif
1MB, 1352x2160px
>>1012706
I picked up something like pic related at my local surplus. It's great and has loads of places to attach new pouches/straps for whatever you need. Believe they are Swedish army L50's. Comfy as fuck aswell
>>
>>1012398
I'm not even weeb
>>1012458
It has all of those things and 35l is plenty big enough. Where do you get your information?
>>
I want to know as well, I 've found some inexpensive backpacks on Amazon, but I feel like they may be too cheap. and then there's these $200+ bags that look cool, but don't know if I should invest in one.
>>
>>1010556
>>1011126
Dudes HPG seems legit. Anymore you can suggest about them? I want to get an umlindi. Would it be decent as a daypack/weekender?

Also, how are the kit bags when running?
>>
Can't go wrong with alice pack imo
>>
Zpacks, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Palante Packs, MLD
>>
Why do ppl answer threads that already exist?
>>
>>1013253
Slow board so I'm necroing this.
Hazard 4 is hands down the best company to invest in. Their Sidewinder, previously known as the Switchback, has outperformed my every expectation. I just wish I bought the backpack version so it was better for hiking. If I could have any pack for the rest of my life, this would be it.
>>
well use the fucking catalog you dumb shit, we already have a backpack thread

sage
>>
>>1015190
Not anymore mate, this is now the oldest backpack thread on the catalog.

Now, anyone's thoughts on the following brands:

Black wolf
Denali
Deuter
Carribee
Companion.

Just asking because that's the main ones I can find in stores here (Australia).
>>
>>1010507
Jew! Go peddle your wares elsewhere. Trying to create a want in us so you can take our shakles then use it against us gas the ovens praise kek
>>
>>1016308
I use a summit gear pack. They are ultra simple, extremely comfortable and very rugged.

They are also hand and locally manufactured in Katoomba.
http://www.summitgear.com.au/

I use mine for Canyoning but they can be used for hiking, climbing or whatever. I know a dude who used his on an ascent of Denali.

Otherwise I would just get an Osprey atmos AG. That's shit is also comfy.

Don't go with milsurp. I have carried military shit in the military and it's putrid kit made by the lowest bidder. Throws every principle of effective load carriage out the window.
>>
>>1016327
Thanks for the tip. Summit looks good and would like to buy Aussie but a little out of my price range.
Definitely not going milsurp though.
>>
>>1015171
almost got one desu but i thought thats way too much for a pack like that. features seemed nice and all but a little gimmicky.
>>
>>1016333

Actually read your first post and yeah Summit gear is top notch but probs over kill for EDC.

For EDC it's really hard to beat the 5.11 rush 12 or 24 packs in terms of value for money. Heaps of organisation, solid construction and nice touches like fleece sunglasses pocket. Can be pretty low profile if you get it in black, however pals webbing all over it still looks wannabe operator. I picked my rush 12 up for about 90aud on sale from one Australian websites that stocks 5.11.

You might want to look at the Osprey Talon 22. It's one of the most highly rated daypacks you will find online. Osprey always has decent organisation and nice suspension systems, if not overkill with all the toggles and shit.

Whatever you do, don't go with goruck or Maxpedition as the shit will be well overpriced and will probably cost you to import from the states. 5.11 tactical gear is practically identical at a fraction of the price of a goruck pack.

Also I would highly recommend checking out: https://www.trekkinn.com/
They only charge Auspost shipping (despite coming from europe) and have basically wholesale prices for heaps of shit. Some of their retail prices for some products are cheaper than wholesale prices from Australian distributors.
>>
>>1016363
Yo, not that anon, but shoutout to you for that good shit info
>>
I need a 40/45 liter bag. Since it's impossible to get a Kelty Redwing in my country I am looking into other options. Found this 40 liter Miltec "US Assault Pack ca 40 L backpack woodland". Any experiences with this backpack or brand? Also, will I look like a cunt with this thing?
>>
>>1017254
uploading a pic doesnt work fml
>>
>>1017254
cheap and chinese. what country are you in
>>
>>1017267
Netherlands

It looks good and the reviews are pretty damn good desu. Just because it's made in China, doesn't mean it's bad. I've worked for several high quality companies in China that produce for American companies.
>>
>>1017254
Check out snugpak?
>>
>>1017274
yea but ive tried packs pretty similar. and while better than your avg normie backpack, they dont hold up well enough for me. stitching etc isnt the best. the similar pack i had never actually broke. but i wouldn't trust it for any real serious shit. cost me like £30. recently got a backpack worth about £70 (but it was reduced to 50) and the difference in quality is very noticable
>>
>>1017281
>>1017285
Snugpak looks awesome, but getting out all my shit everyday on a month long trekking is going to be annoying. But fuck it, I'll have to man up. The Snugpak Endurance looks high quality and 40 litres is exactly what I want.

Also, I was looking to buy a patch for a bag
>Woven patch in superior resolution and quality. Features hook backside to be mounted on loop id mounting surfaces
That means velcro right? WTF.. why aren't they being clearer.
>>
>>1017294
yea that means velcro

what kinda patch are you getting. post so i can JUDGE you
>>
>>1017295
Judge my nationalism, Senpai.

>>1017281
Thanks, definetly going for the Snugpak Endurance. Love all those molle points, definetly going crazy on the pouches. Already ordered a rip-away EMT one.
>>
>>1017337
No problem, I've had very good stuff from them, as have my friends. My go to is my rocketpak, basically the endurance with removable side pouches and no molle.
>>
>>1017378
>>1017337
Should also add that the top pocket is pretty big and perfect for storing the first-out stuff, and there's a pocket on the inside of the hood that's perfect for toiletry shit.
>>
File: Eddie_Bauer_backpack.jpg (235KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Eddie_Bauer_backpack.jpg
235KB, 720x1280px
>Backpack straps
>Handle
>Shoulder sling
>Had it for more than a decade
>Lots of pouches, two big openings for stuff
>Took it to Canada (Ontario) with me in 2010
>Was about $50-60 bucks, but I haven't ever seen another one like it

It is a boot-leg? Either way it's one of my favorite packs.
>>
>>1017378
>>1017383
Thanks for all the info man, it's been of great value. The Endurance is 40 litres so it's definetly going to be a challenge going small. This is my first month-long hike through the forest so 40 litres is pushing it.
>>
>>1012716
The pack in op's pick pretty much covers all that though. It's not in camo, and looks like a hipster pack, but is actually built to not just be a fashion item with stupidly thin straps.
>>1012780
Where do you get one? Considered this instead of an Alice.
>>
>>1017254
I had a mil-tec assault pack inna Afghanistan and it failed on me in about a month
But I guess that's harder use than most
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.