[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ Religions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 31

File: sajan-nature-club.jpg (58KB, 580x380px) Image search: [Google]
sajan-nature-club.jpg
58KB, 580x380px
What are some good /out/ related religions? I used to be Christian, but it all just felt too disconnected from this world. Are there any religions out there that are more based in nature and or worship nature? Thanks for any help.
>>
Is believing in Bigfoot a religion?
>>
>>1010106
Taoism maybe. Definitely anything Eastern. Christianity has a lot concerning the appreciation of nature, you just gotta look for it a lil
>>
Isn't Shinto all about trees and shit?
>>
>>1010106
Wicca, you gonna love it!
>>
>>1010120
>>1010121
These.
Eastern religions are the best religions.
>>
>>1010125
I pretended to be Wiccan in basic training. It was pretty lame. I liked Taoism better.
>>
http://www.everyculture.com/North-America/Ojibwa-Religion-and-Expressive-Culture.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe_traditional_beliefs
>>
>>1010106
I'm sorta Buddhist and Christian, taking what I like from both and ignoring the garbage. There's a certain beauty in Buddhism's respect for nature and taking only what you need, though I still fish; Christianity tends to lean towards freely wandering and living off what God provides, if you actually read the bible and not just listen to what the church wants you to believe. What's really interesting is that in both, the main protagonist of the story is a prince that gave up his kingdom to teach peace and share love, both things that I always feel a great deal of when I spend time in the woods.
>>
>>1010106
>Catholic Church

>The most universal religion in the world.
>Pope John Paul II was a huge hiker
>You can build wood crosses inna woods
>Far better than Protestantism
>>
Asatru.
>>
Animist of course

Thank you mountains
Thank you trees
I love you all
>>
I hear white supremacy is a good frontier religion
>>
>>1010192
White supremacy is actually a philosophy, not a religion. A lot like Buddhism, except not at all like Buddhism.
>>
>>1010146
I've awlays thought in the bible that Jesus was the good buy and God was the bad guy.
>>
File: mountwhitney.png (614KB, 557x430px) Image search: [Google]
mountwhitney.png
614KB, 557x430px
>>1010189
+1

i thank the rock at the end of every day of climbing.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7KB, 187x269px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7KB, 187x269px
I miss the days when atheists ruled the internet with an iron fist.
In the old days i would have take a flamethrower to this thread.
>>
>>1010225
I miss the days when you could check dubs
>>
>>1010225
In another thread perhaps, but /out/ is consistently pretty accepting of each others' beliefs about anything except cairns.
>>
>>1010106
Buddhism, but dont be a heretic
>>
>>1010106
Research the religions of your ancestors. I ended up unironically worshiping Luna, Flora, Mars Pater, and the rest of the Roman Pantheon.
>>
Christianity + Trancendentalism = good times.
>>
File: latest.png (4MB, 1916x992px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
4MB, 1916x992px
>>1010106

Don't worship nature, anon. Make nature worship you.
>>
>>1010106
Easternism as has been said. Read up on neopaganism too and pick what you like but don't take it too literally because it's all a reconstruction. Also read some Yeats.

Christianity is oozing with residual pagan nature worship if you look close (what do you think Easter really is about?). When I visited the old country with my mum I was amazed at how pagan and naturey their nominal Lutheranism was. American protestants might reject that side of it (to their great detriment) but other sects especially back in Europe don't.
>>
>>1010318
what game?
>>
>>1010350
Looks like wow
>>
>>1010225
>I miss the days when atheists ruled the internet with an iron fist.
Yes, things have chanced a lot, back in the day you needed to be a nerd to get online, today every chad is here

>In the old days i would have take a flamethrower to this thread.
try >>>/his/ if you feel the need...
>>
>>1010350
Elder Scrolls Online
>>
>>1010206
I lol'd
>>
Don't see why you'd need a religion to be 'connected' to the natural world.

There probably isn't a God. I'd suggest you make peace with that, head /out/, observe nature and bask in the improbability of it all.
>>
>>1010106
Choosing your religion because it sounds cool is degenerate. Deep down you will always be what you were born into.

Also Christianity is one of the most out religions, especially in America. Buy a waterproof bible and read some passages next to a waterfall or cliff. Then pick up the shinto or wiccan bibles and do the same.

Tell me which one actually has a meaningful message for you, and which ones are just poetry for trendies with man buns.
>>
File: monk_001sss.jpg (67KB, 240x314px) Image search: [Google]
monk_001sss.jpg
67KB, 240x314px
>>1010106
If you think Christianity isn't /out/ then you need to read more about the Desert Fathers. Stop abandoning your culture you dolt. Christianity is full of hermits, travelers, wanderers, and /out/ist. If you really need to jump on the easternism bandwagon look at Hinduism. It lays out 4 stages of life, one of which is Sannyasa, which basically involves renouncing material life and living /out/.
>>
>>1010225
No reason to make your comment other then to forcibly tip your fedora at all of us digitally.

I don't appreciate it. Remember you need to shower today.
>>
>>1010399
>Stop abandoning your culture
had a chuckle
>>
>>1010225
Reminder

Atheism != Antitheism
>>
File: 1468571556347.jpg (50KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
1468571556347.jpg
50KB, 640x428px
>>1010398
>born into
>>
>>1010398
>>1010399

Fucking /pol/
>>
File: GreeFire_ALeopoldHeadshot5_t700.jpg (35KB, 700x544px) Image search: [Google]
GreeFire_ALeopoldHeadshot5_t700.jpg
35KB, 700x544px
>>1010418
No but there used to be a lot more antitheists .
Now all some anon has to do is say"fedora" or "edgy" and we shut right up.
They dont have to even put forth a cogent argument.
>>
>>1010106
clear answer is obviously Jewish-

>burning bush stays lit, keeps you warm, does not actually burn down, AND gives you life advice + sense of purpose.

>if no burning bush fuel time lasts longer

>socially acceptable to use walking sticks.

>can cross rivers without worrying about we socks
>>
>>1010106
I'd argue that Catholicism is actually the best /out/ religion, it teaches you to cherish the world and others because you were all created by one force, and to be fearful of this force and be forgiving of others because of it.
Equally if you don't approve of the dogma of catholiscism you can always consider going catholic mystic or paganism in general. I choose to follow Catholic Mysticism because though I approve of the core tennants of catholicism and the traditions that come with it, I also believe in magic and spiritual attunement.
>>
>>1010106
I think you should persue whichever feels most true to you. If you are specifically shopping for a religion, think about why that is. Are you just looking for validation in an ingroup? If you already harbor an abiding respect and reverence for nature and the outdoors, why consign yourself to cramming your personal truth into a specific religion you deem arbitrarily appropriate?
>>
>>1010106
You don't perse need religion to find god anon. If god is real he will keep giving us new lessons. Religion is mostly rehersing former lessons, if you don't think there is any more to learn form those old lessons go look for new lessons but you won't find them in religion if you learned from the newest religion. If you want to learn more gods lessons about nature go out and explore. If you don't want to learn the newest lessons try to find a religion that makes you feel comfortable. I'm not religious so I can't help you with that.
>>
>>1010106

Many don't know that Yahweh, God of the Bible, used to have a wife named Asherah.

She was worshiped by going into nature and decorating trees with wreaths. She was associated with nature and fertility, representing a maternal Earth which had been impregnated by a paternal sky, with humans as the offspring.

https://www.seeker.com/gods-wife-edited-out-of-the-bible-almost-1766083399.html
>>
>>1011130
>If god is real he
>he

...is specifically male? One of the two human genders? Do all aliens everywhere have male and female with no variation, even though some species on Earth are asexual?
>>
File: riddle2.png (713KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
riddle2.png
713KB, 960x960px
>>1010398
>>
>>1011142
you're right. I just prefer to use he for something I don't know the gender of.
It sounds unfriendly imo, he/she confusing to read. Do you have a better idea?
>>
>>1011167
"It" seems fine to me. If it knows what we're thinking it's not like it will misunderstand how we mean it.
>>
>>1011168
but with things we call it we don't make emotional bonds very easily. Wouldn't it want to make an emotional bond? Then again, it would be maybe something we need to learn.
>>
>>1010106
Your own animist religion is the only correct answer.
>>
>>1010448
It's not even /pol/ism though. The Dalai Lama has repeatedly discouraged people from too quickly giving up on their own background and religious heritage and encourages seekers to fully explore their native faith before adopting another's. The fact is that many people ditch Christianity because it isn't a 'cool' religion and start collecting easternisms when if they took the time to delve into their childhood religion they would probably find an expression of it that caters to their needs.
>>
File: cultstructure.jpg (350KB, 782x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cultstructure.jpg
350KB, 782x1000px
>>1011199
>The fact is that many people ditch Christianity because it isn't a 'cool' religion

No, you believe this in order to avoid the alternative, that people leave Christianity because they discover it is untrue.

You think "That can't be it, I would know if it was untrue" but do Mormons realize Mormonism is untrue? Do Muslims realize Islam is untrue?

I am sure you know the apologetics for why those religions are obviously false but they have their own apologetics that they find just as convincing, you've just never exposed yourself to it in any depth.
>>
>>1011200
That criticism could be made of most major religions not just Christianity.
>>
>>1011200
Also not all denominations have a structured clergy like in your image.
>>
Is there a religion centered around batoning cairns?
>>
>>1010106
>year of our lord 2017
>subscribing to a specific pre-defined religious template of what your life should be and what you should believe
>not having your personal philosophy shaped by your fundamental beliefs and yours alone
Pantheism is literally the only true patrician /out/ philosophy
>>
>>1011201

That's because most major religions are Abrahamic. Eastern religions are by and large not structured this way.
>>
>>1011202

The image is more about how Christianity started out than what it has become. Religions are different from cults, but many major religions in the world today grew out of cults, still utilizing milder versions of the same tactics to entice conversion, deter apostasy and compel evangelism.
>>
File: stars.jpg (1MB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
stars.jpg
1MB, 1280x1707px
>>1011204

Mah nigga. Get a load of this: https://steemit.com/science/@alexbeyman/the-universe-is-evolving-from-hydrogen-to-humans-and-beyond
>>
>>1011216
Good read m80. I find it hard to believe in anything without empirical or rational reasoning behind it but universal consciousness is an idea I find myself believing on a very fundamental level.
>>
>>1011212
>Buddhism
Charismatic leader convinces followers to abandon belongings and sit around doing nothing. Has a complex monastic order that is fed, watered, and paid by their followers.
>Hinduism
Full of Gurus, again encourages the renunciation of the material world. Also has a monastic system of wild holy men who are fed, watered, and paid by their followers.
>Sikhism
More Gurus, who on a number of occasions have convinced their followers to engage in violence.
>Folk religions
More shamans, witch doctors, and leaders who through intoxicants, fear mongering and other coercive practices control their followers.
>>1011214
>deter apostasy
Christianity is probably the religion that has gone through the most schisms.

Many religions did start out as cults, but only in the sense that they were small groups, who had practices that the majority found mysterious. Not in the modern sense where followers are often brain washed or coerced into performing harmful or obscene acts.
>>
File: 1361169957739.jpg (38KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1361169957739.jpg
38KB, 540x360px
>>1010106
>2017
>needing a mediator between yourself and God
>>
>>1010106
i mean do you even need a religion at all? (some) religions are a good vehicle for building a road to the almighty and carrying on family traditions but outside of that if you are already connected to "it"- why do you need/want a religion?
>>
>>1011200
But 'untrue' is relative. Christianity, as it was originally written, is based on the life of a Rabbi who lived through positive action and separating himself from the greed in the world so that he could more closely live with God or nature. The fact that modern Christianity ignores that and focuses on a single event in his life that happened to him, rather than what he was trying to accomplish is only relevant to the ignorant followers that would rather believe in the magic of an unverified resurrection than the live of a genuinely good man.
>>
I like Masanobu Fukuoka's take on taoism and buddhism related to agriculture and life in the countryside
>>
>>1011228
This is why I don't follow any form of religion. That doesn't mean I disregard the teachings of such religions.
But every spiritual group is bound to end up being the same circlejerk of oldfags orbiting a single person that's the local leader, forgetting aobut the original thing that they were reaching for (gawd, dao, whatever)
>>
>>1011594
Sounds to me like it's not the religion that you despise, but rather it's the church. I was pretty amazed when I cracked open a Bible for myself and realized that the Christian church is complete crap.
>Be Jesus
>Tell stories, let people take what they want from it.
>Make only one definite rule that isn't open to interpretation: Do not worship me.
>Retards build an entire religion around ignoring your one commandment.
>>
>>1011228
>Many religions did start out as cults, but only in the sense that they were small groups, who had practices that the majority found mysterious. Not in the modern sense where followers are often brain washed

Go read a Christian homeschooling forum sometime. Ask them about evolution, the age of the earth or w/e and tell me they're not brainwashed.
>>
Rodnovery obviously. Neopaganism and such are the most nature based religions.
>>
>>1011648
I have a lot of issues with a number of denominations. I am no way saying some of them don't represent cults.
>>
>>1010211
Well...
>>
>>1010120
Eastern Orthodox Christianity definitely, and certain other denominations have appreciation for nature.
>>
File: (You).png (127KB, 345x337px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
127KB, 345x337px
>>1010225
>>
>Find local Tribe/Rez
>Find "elders" or council
>Ask them about the religion they used to practice
>Do that

Ever hear of the peyote cults? They go by different names but they are the only religious group allowed to take peyote, and they go on crazy spiritual journey while /out/

I also hear ayahuasca can make you feel connected to the land, but might take you places you don't want to go
>>
>>1011203
It's high time to establish one.
>>
File: Brassica.jpg (133KB, 941x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Brassica.jpg
133KB, 941x1000px
>>1011831
Christianity was based on Judaism, which in turn was based on Paganism; the original reason the cross was considered sacred is because the Pagans associated the shape with the flower of various plants of a massive genus we now call 'Brassicas'. Given that finding nutrient-rich food in the wild tends to be pretty challenging, being able to recognize a plant you've never seen before as a Brassica just by the flower which is common across the genus, and therefore know that the plant is, in its entirety, edible, was certainly a thing worth worshiping.
>>
>>1012030
Or, maybe, and consider this possibility okay? Maybe, JUST MAYBE??? Christians use the cross as a symbol because their god was killed on a cross, and died for their sins. But no, definitely just a flower.
>>
>>1010129
>I pretended
>It was pretty lame
You don't say?!
>>
>>1012204
I bet you think that we celebrate Christmas because that's Christ's supposed birthday too.
>>
>>1012237
Do you think that the holidays and their roots even matter? It's a commemorative event, it doesn't matter if it's actually on the day Jesus was born. I bet you think that the Ishtar copypasta is serious.
>>
>>1010126
all heresy
>>
>>1012204
So maybe, just maybe, if he'd been captured, tortured and killed in Harlem, you'd be praying to a picture of a semi-auto handgun right now?

And you think that the idea of symbolism associated with the perfect life-giving plant is stupid?

>>1012237
It's amazing how many major religious figures' dates of birth fall on the soltices, isn't it? lol. It's almost like all religions stemmed from a common practice of awareness of planting and harvesting seasons or something.
>>
>>1012251
I'm aware of that, I was calling out this idiot >>1012204 on not understanding that most religious stories, symbols and celebrations are borrowed from an earlier culture.
>>
>>1012350
Not him, but it's worth mentioning that the reason they do this is to make transitioning to a new religion easier. It's basically like saying "Your religion is mostly correct, but they just got a couple things wrong; you don't want to burn in hell for all eternity, over something trivial like that, do you?"

The Mormans pretty much nailed this concept by saying that it's exactly like Christianity, except that God hasn't given up on us, and keeps sending in Saints, which isn't really true at all, they completely changed the dynamic of the religion (and left it open to continuous change) by saying that their later Saints are making 'updates' to the Bible.

In short, all religions are complete bullshit, but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with wanting to believe in something.
>>
Converting to Catholicism or Orthodoxy here in a bit
>>
The best advice I've ever gotten was "Never trust the word of someone who wants your money".

With that in mind, the only acceptable religion would have to one where they don't accept tithes.
>>
I follow the religion of my ancestors. Never cared for chrisanity or any others
>>
>>1012354
>In short, all religions are complete bullshit, but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with wanting to believe in something.

yep, humans just like to have myths and rituals by their side. It keeps em safe and pumped by believing in something more divine than themselves
>>
>>1012474
>tips
>>
>>1012474
>Implying skinwalkers aren't real.
>>
>>1012737
Nah man skinwalkers aren't real, nobody has any proof, it's probably just some harmless cyotes or a crazy guy or something
>>
not every religion involves supernatural claims or describes anything even approaching a "god" and the ones that don't are the ones that are worth looking into. pretending to know something you don't is childish

I think religion should be part of your philosophy, it should color your outlook on life and how you see other people and the world around you. it should be poetic. its proponents should inspire you to appreciate nature and to learn to love and understand yourself and your fellow man. it shouldn't ask for your time or your money, it shouldn't have any requirements of recruitment or evangelism.

if anyone can point to something established that fills most or all of the above criteria, do let me know. I have not explored much. I'm doing just fine creating my own appreciation of nature but if other like-minded people have already done some work worth looking at then I'm down to check it out. I don't need anything that focuses on morality. I've got plenty of philosophy about that already. what I need is something solid to make its way to my core and give proper expression to all the things that I feel but can't seem to put down on paper
>>
>>1012781
Not a religion but that's basically pantheism.
>>
>>1010176
This. It's all an outdoorsy white person requires in terms of religion.
>>
>>1012781
>not every religion involves supernatural claims

What?
This is exactly what religion means.
>>
>>1011204
This. Look into eastern dharma especially those with meditation and no bullshit. Religion and dogma just fails.

Sikhism is essentially pantheism with the natural appearance (long hair) one universality and they carry knives which is pretty /out/. Hinduism has become straight polytheism with pantheistic origins. Buddhism also appeals quite well with the meditation too
>>
File: CatHandsEyeTwitch.gif (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CatHandsEyeTwitch.gif
46KB, 600x450px
Funny. Seen this thread the other day and thought nothing of it.

Today at work making freight deliveries someone came up to me while waiting for the clerk to arrive and asked if i prayed. No opening greetings or anything.
I politely said"no, I don't believe in that." To which he replied"you know you have a purpose here, right?" "Yes" i replied "to deliver what they ordered" while shaking the bill. "No" he retorts as if I was the clueless one "You, yourself have a purpose on earth". Shaking my head in disapproval i say "no, I don't think life works like that." "So you don't care?" He accuses me. "No. I don't care" I reply.

Thankfully ended conversation until a maintenance worker said the clerk was out to lunch.
This opened the floodgates. Guy proceeds to go on about some chinese place down the road with instructions on how to get there since he really loves chinese.
Not wanting to be the asshole here i said i prefer the chicken place across the street.
This visibly triggers the guy
"You wouldn't eat ir if you know how they're made"
I stall in disbelief
"What they feed them is horrible."
I was probably retarded for continuing, but i felt insulted as a chicken owner so i says to this guy "I'm sure they feed them everything including other chickens"

He comes back with this
"Oh no. They dig a giant pit and line it with old railroad ties. Then they fill it with that 'animal byproduct meal' and wait. It rots and gets filled with *maggots* and then they FEED it to them."

>Mfw

Now im triggered "BIG DEAL. I feed MY chickens maggots. They love the stuff."

He looks disgusted "But you take that into you"

I roll my eyes"It gets turned into chicken first, what do i care?"

"You'll see what happens" he warns

I just shrug and walk to the chicken place.

Sorry for the rant /out/. Its just amazing how stupid christfags are. All those Abrahamic death cults seem to demonize the wilderness. Pagans and Celtic druids got royally fucked yo
>>
Deism
>>
>>1010450
Look faggot, you guys did it too yourselves. Stereotypes develop for a reason. You probably really are a neckbeard.
But it stems from the simple fact that concrete thinking is closer inline with how children view the world. Deep, conceptual understanding of things that you can't physically see is more mature. The internet subconsciously realized this.
>>
>>1012770
T. skin walker.
>>
>>1012903
no
>>
>>1013053
Tl;dr autist is bad at socializing and dropped his spaghetti in front of everyone
not surprising you're a driver, 99% of the men who deliver here are autistic as fuck.
>>
>>1012213
Bruh, I was just in it for the cookies, juice, and naps.
>>
>>1013090
>you did it to yourselves
>perceiving people as a singular group based on their beliefs
>identity politics
pls leave and never come back
>>
>>1013729
>patterns don't mean anything
You sound like the type of person who thinks facts are racist
>>
I have none. I was an atheist but I realized there is no way to prove a God does not exist. Now, I just don't give a fuck about anything.
>>
>>1013913
you're still an atheist then

an atheist is someone who does not have a belief in a god
>>
File: Miyajima-tori[1].jpg (371KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
Miyajima-tori[1].jpg
371KB, 1296x972px
Shinto
>>
>>1010106
Nihilism.
No place like /out/ to think about how tiny and pointless your existence is.
>>
File: 1449791227028.jpg (245KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1449791227028.jpg
245KB, 2048x1365px
>>1016238

Christianity, Espically the Non: American, Anglo Protestantism
>>
>>1013090
True that!
Give him some of that douche jock justice, Chad!
>>
>>1013813
You sound like a person who demands the utmost respect for your believes.
>>
File: 1489187399297.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1489187399297.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Fire is needed for all who come in,
Cold about their knees.
Men need food and blankets.
After the crossing the mountain.

the Hávamál is full of surprisingly great advice on how to stack firewood, how to be frugal in winter, how to great old friends, how to manage the land, how to respect you surroundings.

really badly tried to translate that verse in the beginning but in case som anon wants the whole thing here is one iteration with some bits
>http://heimskringla.no/wiki/Uddrag_af_H%C3%A1vam%C3%A1l
>>
>>1010106
try exploring Christianity again and perhaps consider reading some John Muir. that nigga was all about seeing the glory of the Lord in the natural world.
>>
>>1010106
Christianity is pretty rooted to nature.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Circle of life is literally in the bible.
>>
Islam
>>
Christianity says that God will destroy those who destroy the earth. I take comfort in this.
>>
>>1011009
Catholic Universalism was the way I coped with the human condition.
>>
kekism
>>
File: 1489869055884.png (185KB, 772x319px) Image search: [Google]
1489869055884.png
185KB, 772x319px
>worshipping nature

Haha no. I love nature but at its best it permits your presence, at worst it tries to kill you with exposure and various venemous animals. Nature is to be respected and cared for, but not worshipped.

I'm a Zen Buddhist, I feel the best way to be "in tune" with the outside is to just go there and do zazen, the practice of sitting and simply existing/experiencing. Not trying to reach enlightenment, not having thoughts, just existing and being a part of the vast complex ecological web which is a small part of what Eihei Dogen calls the big phenomenal universe. Cut out the hippie jargon from buddhism and it's a great way to really settle into the woods and understand you exist there for a time, allow cares to pass and generally just be cool and chill. Read Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner if you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's a great book for innawoods innatent at night.
>>
Jainism
>>
>>1019480
I'd say this but there's too much moral doctrine. A truly /out/ religion would be amoral.
>>
Islam
>>
>>1010106
Ancient Finns had a religion basically centered on /out since that's where they lived in. Some remnants still live on.

But ask yourself, why do you need a religion to enjoy this world? Why do you want someone else to tell you how this world is to be understood and comprehended?

And what makes you think these others know better than you?

Go out, pick a few berries, sit down and chomp on them while you think hard about these questions.
>>
>>1019576
>le dont hurt a tree
but raping and killing infidels is fine

hateful ideologies gtfo
>>
>>1018628
>Not trying to reach enlightenment
I'm a Mahayana Buddhist who did this once. I really think it messed me up. For a single moment, I felt and knew everything that the universe has to offer, then I came back to this shithole and haven't been able to feel content about anything since.
>>
>>1019602
This
Religion is for weak pathetic people who need rules to live by
>>
File: 1495238992992.gif (1MB, 560x372px) Image search: [Google]
1495238992992.gif
1MB, 560x372px
>>1010106
Dude this isn't /an/ or /adv/.
>>
>>1015945
a religion in which their religious symbol is a giant chicken perch, because chicken woke the goddess of spring.
>>
>>1019837
>This
I wish Reddit would leave.
>>
File: miroku02.jpg (502KB, 1275x1756px) Image search: [Google]
miroku02.jpg
502KB, 1275x1756px
Zen. And I don't mean the "mindfulness" kiddie-pool stuff 99% of so-called "teachers" blab on about.

From Kaiten Nukariya's 1916 gem "The Religion of the Samurai":

6. Great Men and Nature.
All great men, whether they be poets or scientists or religious men
or philosophers, are not mere readers of books, but the perusers of
Nature. Men of erudition are often lexicons in flesh and blood, but
men of genius read between the lines in the pages of life. Kant, a
man of no great erudition, could accomplish in the theory of
knowledge what Copernicus did in astronomy. Newton found the
law of gravitation not in a written page, but in a falling apple.
Unlettered Jesus realized truth beyond the comprehension of many
learned doctors. Charles Darwin, whose theory changed the whole
current of the world's thought, was not a great reader of books, but
a careful observer of facts. Shakespeare, the greatest of poets, was
the greatest reader of Nature and life. He could hear the music
even of heavenly bodies, and said:
"There's not the smallest orb which thou beholdest, But in his
motion like an angel sings."
Chwang Tsz (So-shi), the greatest of Chinese philosophers, says:
"Thou knowest the music of men, but not the music of the earth.
Thou knowest the music of the earth, but not the music of the
heaven."[FN#132] Goethe, perceiving a profound meaning in
Nature, says: "Flowers are the beautiful hieroglyphics of Nature
with which she indicates how much she loves us."

http://www.templeofearth.com/books/religionofthesamurai.pdf
>>
>>1019826
Dunno what happened to you but it definitely wasn't Satori you're describing. My late, great teacher the Ven. Ming Zhen Shakya wrote the following:

The following (with some personal references) is a list of seven identifiable parts of the Satori experience:

l. The attention is grabbed by something... a word or phrase or rhythmic sound such as a distant bell, dripping water, or a pebble bouncing down some steps. (Mine was caught by a chirping cricket.)

2. A revolving, enveloping sensation is felt... as though the brain is literally turning over. This is called, naturally enough, 'turning about in the seat of consciousness' (paravritti). A weaker version is felt upon entering samadhi.

3. There is an awareness of going away, of instantaneously receding into the horizon's vanishing point or of being extinguished as a blown-out candle flame. This is not a blacking-out as in a loss of consciousness. There is no loss of consciousness. The sense of I-ness simply blinks out. One actually feels oneself depart.

4. The senses continue to operate, i.e., the attention-grabbing stimulus continues to be recorded (the cricket continued to chirp) and the setting - the surrounding place and objects - remains unchanged except that it seems strangely peaceful and is seen in peculiar clarity, crisply defined with a pristine loveliness. There is a remoteness to this vision: it is akin to staring at the plane surface of a diamond and seeing, the moment one focuses correctly, the entire side of a room precisely reflected in the tiny surface.

5. There is an awareness that one returns - from wherever it was that one went.

6. There is another revolving sensation as if the brain is again turning, reversing its direction.

7. There is an immediate surge of euphoria and a spontaneous exclamation.

----------

Western "masters" love to dumb down the Satori experience into "any sort of intuitive understanding" or some such drivel - a sure sign they've never experienced it.
>>
>>1019885

http://zbohy.zatma.org/Dharma/zbohy/Literature/7thWorld/c18p1.html

Its a practice manual she wrote in the late 80's, about a decade or so after becoming the first westerner and first woman to be ordained at Nan Hua Si and later elevated to Master, then to Venerable.
>>
>>1019885
Here's what happened:
I was laying in bed meditating, focusing on emotional neural pathways, training myself to consciously control emotion (I can now get myself high just by thinking about it). I started cycling through each individual emotion, when suddenly I realized that I could no longer feel my heart beating, or my body at all for that matter. What I did feel was absolute positivity, nothing negative existed in this state of being, and I could comprehend complex concepts that seemed absolutely abstract to me before. Then, I was given a choice: continue 'home' and become part of that positivity forever, or return my consciousness to my corporeal self. I obviously chose the latter, and as like the feeling one might imagine is akin to getting hit by a truck, I felt my heart start beating again. When I opened my eyes, that feeling of absolute positivity was nothing more than a distant memory, and I knew that I was stuck here, that I would never feel like that again, because if I ever get that choice a second time, I'm not coming back.
>>
>>1020079
Teresa of Avila said that some who attained the "prayer of quiet" (what buddhists call samadhi) did not return.

You had a genuine and profound ecstatic experience and you are, for better or worse, a religious mystic.

I have had Satori myself but am not an adept at meditation. All I can say from my understanding is that you successfully transcended your ego and "stepped outside" for a blessed moment or two into what religious mystics call the "real world" and came back.

Read MZS's "7th world" and her advanced text "Assault on the Summit." She has been where you want to go.
>>
>>1020115
>Read MZS's "7th world"
I'll check that out, thanks.

It was definitely a cool experience, but like I said, I think it messed me up. I can't think about it without intense regret about coming back. A stronger willed person might be fine, but for me... I'm just waiting to die, now.
>>
File: EYAw98p.jpg (50KB, 557x711px) Image search: [Google]
EYAw98p.jpg
50KB, 557x711px
>>1019876
>implying this isn't the average reddit user
>>
>>1010106
Islam, you can pray anywhere all you need is a rug.
*But you can't worship nature that is absolutely Haram.
>>
ever heard of franciscanism, op? no? pelerinages?
>>
>Edgy teenager the thread
Anything other than Christianity or nothing is degenerate and phony.
>>
>OP Dies
>OP sits before the Judgement Seat
>"I created the world and offered you mercy, through the sacrifice of my Son and you, full-knowing, decided to throw it all away to be closer to ticks and lichen?"
>>
>>1021238
>the Abrahamic religions with which Christianity shares its basis are hokey
Dude, what
>>
>>1011009
I'd argue that Orthodox Christianity is a better /out/ tradition, because of the ancient-ness, reverence for nature, and emphasis on hermits and fasting.
>>
>>1021496
This. Eastern Orthodox for eternity.
>>
>>1021175
>TFW not living in medieval innawoods monastery, constant praying the rosary in beautiful European wilderness and copying manuscripts.
>>
I consider myself a "secular" Buddhist. Buddhist philosophies have helped me become closer to nature and wildlife. Also, a little meditation in the woods or by a stream goes a long way.
>>
>>1021646
>Brewing beer
>Writing music

The life.
>>
>>1010323
easter is about resurrection of christ. that meme image of ishta is fake. most traditions (like egg hunts) have been done by German Lutherans because they thought it was fun, it grew because they went to America and spread their religion there together with their traditions.

Christianity itself is not pagan at all, however it does allow cultural paganism for their christians - keep your traditions, just don't worship Odin basically. that is why you see pagan stuff in christian countries.

and OP, if you choose your religion based on what you like to do in spare time, your retartet
>>
>>1011128
Best advice in the thread.

t. professional clergy
>>
File: 1458553334031.jpg (4KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
1458553334031.jpg
4KB, 212x218px
>>1010120
>>1010121
>>1010126
>following a ethnic religion that you're not related to

embarrassing desu
>>
>>1012237
we do, they chose the winter solstice for metaphorical reasons.
>>
>>1010111
keked
Also no it's just smart.
>>
>>1019885
What's hard for me to understand the teachings of Buddhism is that I have chronic depersonalization.
I feel very detached from myself, and at times when everything is peaceful and I focus on one thing (like the cricket in your experience) I sometimes snap out of it a few minutes. This only happens every few years, but it is extremely peaceful and blissful. Usually I cry, the surge is honestly far more intense than an orgasm.

Just always wondered if this is what Buddhists try to achieve or if my experiences are completely different. Chronic depersonalization sucks and it coasts into derealization most of the time.
>>
>>1010106
Christianity obviously.
Catholicism, C of E or Orthodoxy all have great reverence for nature. If you think all of creation was just a cosmic accident you'll never truly appreciate going /out/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVSf5QlSmA8
>>
>>1022150
Do you consider yourself a faggot as well? Cause that would actually be accurate
Buddhism is a joke for any noneastern peoples. It's what soccer mom's, numales, and self proclaimed """hippy""" sluts attach to because they think it's all "peace and love."
Fuck you
>>
>>1022745
>If you think all of creation was just a cosmic accident you'll never truly appreciate going /out/
That's literally why I appreciate it. The idea that all life on earth and the landscapes in which it lives is the result of billions of years worth of cosmic forces and chance is a far more wonder-inspiring concept than a teleological approach where everything has a 'design' and 'purpose'.
>>
>>1022761
>getting this angry at someone who's found their own inner peace
project harder
>>
>>1022832
I was going to reply with something similar but decided not to. I hope he finds what makes him happy.
>>
>>1010106
Ethiopian Orthodoxy is pretty neato desu
>>
>>1022214
On the off chance you are a member of the clergy how did you get into it? What's your day to day life like?
>>
>>1022545
I sincerely hope you aren't a Christfag that isn't ethnically Arab/Judaic
>>
>>1022832
See the thing is, you call yourself a Buddhist but don't adhere to their teachings. Don't call yourself a Buddhist.
How about you return to reddit? It's obvious that's where you're from
>>
>>1026678
>imblyign Jesus was Jewish or Arabic
Good meme
>>
File: 1494169009471.jpg (41KB, 585x501px) Image search: [Google]
1494169009471.jpg
41KB, 585x501px
>>1012377
So fuck Jews amirite?
>>
>>1013721
What better job for an autist than to spend miles and miles alone.
>>
>>1026685
>Jesus
>not Jewish
Lolwut
>>
>>1010106
>following a religion that you choose to follow
that's not how faith works you fucking heretic.
>>
>>1025543
When I was a kid, I felt sort of drawn to it, because it seemed like a good way to help people. After a while of being in the training process, I realized that my denomination specifically (and no, I won't go into detail about which one, because it's pretty small, and someone could figure out who I am) was kind of shitty, and that others were doing what we claimed to do, but better.

These days, I live a sort of normal life, I guess. I get up, go to work, visit a lot of of people, pray with people, plan worship services, write sermons, try to make life a little brighter for those around me, volunteer with a number of things, go home, play with my kids, do stuff around the house, and to to bed.

I do help people, but it's kind of worse than I thought it would be. Hardly any weddings or happy moments, but lots and lots of funerals. People always want to blame me when things aren't going well, even if I had nothing to do with it. I don't mind but being rich, but I owe tens of thousands of dollars from the seminary, and I only make enough that I'm sort of struggling to get by. I've had a second job in the past, but my day job is demanding enough that it's pretty hard to find the time for a side hustle. Sadly, I don't have much time for /out/ either.

By the way, think about that the next time you think that churches did pay taxes. First, we're a non-profit like any other book club, and second, I make like $32,000 US a year. There are a very few churches with a whole lot of money. The rest are just barely scraping by.
>>
>>1026801
*Not being rich
>>
>>1026711
Jesus wasn't Jewish. Jews denied he was their messiah. He called Jews the Synagogue of Satan. He was an Israelite. And there are 12 different tribes of Israel which spread across the lands.
Jews came from the tribe of Cain, as in Cain kills Able.
>>
>>1026953
No, if you did things like read the first chapters of Matthew or Luke, you'd see quite clearly that Jesus was a descendant of Judah, or, in other words, a Jew. If you read the other genealogies in the Bible, you'd realize that Cain had nothing to do with the ancestry of any Israelites, much less Judah. They were all decended from Seth. Cain's offspring all died in the flood. Learn your Bible before spewing ignorant hate like that.
>>
>>1027020
Cain was given a mark to show that he was not to be killed, but also to never have a homeland. A vagabond. His tribe are the same which are the ethnic Jews of today. That's why for so many years they were kicked out of countries all over. Their language, yiddish, is a bastard language a mix of a bunch of others.
>>
>>1027255
English is a bastard mix of a bunch of other languages! For that matter, so are French, Spanish, and Vietnamese! Go back to /pol/ with your ignorance!
>>
>>1027470
Yes (((sir))). You got it
>>
>>1010396
While I tend to believe in some sort of unity in the world (/out/ should read plotinus) when I'm in nature I think about how evolution made everything just the way it needed to be.
>>
>>1011167
I always use they. People can usually tell im talking about a singular thing.
>>
>>1010399 to me the problem is that Chriarianity hes developed in Europe because of politics. Monotheistic religion is the base of any state, as it provides unity. That takes away from its legitimacy; just a desert cult that has managed to rise above all. Since I'm a eurofaget it's much closer to me to study the pre-christian beliefs as they originate from the land i inhabit and its nature.
>>
>>1027651
>>1027651
I have no problem with the idea of exploring the pre-christian beliefs of one's country. I'd even encourage it as there can be a huge health of useful knowledge to be discovered that concerns your native environment.

>to me the problem is that Chriarianity hes developed in Europe because of politics.
I agree. The way in which the faith has been twisted and used as form of population control is a travesty. But don't underestimate the fact that Christianity also gained so much support through how well it was able to build on and simplify pre-existing religions. As well do away with some of their nastier elements. As well exploring the pre-christian beliefs of your country it might also be worth looking to see if there are any smaller denominations that have roots in where you are from. Stepping away from the big ones can help you find an expression of the religion that is further away from those that seems to be too close to the state.
>>
>>1026801
Thanks for the respond clergy-anon. Appreciate it. I've often been drawn to the idea of joining the church but I figured that as it was always more of a fleeting idea I probably didn't want it enough to be a worthwhile member.
I'm not sure how things differ in my country but your post has made me curious enough to do some research.
>>
>>1027660
What country, of you don't mind my asking? Things are way different here in the US than in Europe.
>>
>>1027579
Racist filth doesn't worship God or anything like that. Garbage like you worships itself.
>>
File: url.gif (146KB, 812x1024px) Image search: [Google]
url.gif
146KB, 812x1024px
There's a wealth of nature veneration in the old European beliefs. The Norse, Celts, Greeks, Romans, and Baltics all had their own nature deities and different ways of venerating them. Paganism is the way to go.
>>
>>1022832
Dude. Buddhism is about extinguishing your flame, yourself. It's not as positive as you hippie idiots would like it to be. Get some proper knowledge on religions before labeling yourself something you aren't.

Overall, just dig into any and all religions, compare, contemplate. Philosophy and science are just as valid. It all is compatible unless you are some try-hard faggot or a fundamentalist.
>>
>>1027708
The UK
>>
>>1027725
It just a shame that almost all expressions of neo paganism are ultimate cringe tier
>>
Religion is a human construct and is harmful to nature. Nature is infinitely interesting so simply learning about nature and spending time in nature is better.
>>
File: chylde.jpg (462KB, 1080x848px) Image search: [Google]
chylde.jpg
462KB, 1080x848px
>>1027725
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but there's a few vital things to remember about Paganism in it's early days. The Romans (Who's religion was an almost exact copy from the Greek's) made a point of destroying forests while invading enemy territory, in fact, that was the only reason they gained a presence in the Germanic territories. They also built so much stuff that they totally drained their local environments of resources, hence why Italy is basically cliffs and fields. The reason most of Europe is totally barren of /out/ is mostly their fault. The Celts would also engage in mass destruction of their environments to fight the Romans as they invaded, although that was driven more by necessity than greed. Paganism has rarely ever been a united religion. There was always infighting to prove that one god was stronger than another. The only truly nature-oriented paganism is probably the Norse forms of it, and they were no walk in the park either, though for different reasons. The Norse would throw babies into the ocean if they were born weak, as was dictated by their gods. They would perform the "Blood Eagle" on blasphemers to the gods as well. As for Slavic and Baltic Paganism, we really have no clue what they were like. All we have are artifacts and written documents by VERY biased Christian monks. Either way, Paganism is very much not to be emulated IMO.
>>
>>1027753
>harmful
How so? What's so bad about applying human constructs to non-human things?
>>
>>1027748
Oh. Things are pretty different over there, what with the CoE and everything. I've never been over there, personally, so I can't really say what your experience of church would be like. All I can say is, go try it. Some churches are full of awful people. Some are wonderful. Most are average. What you get out of it is mostly what you put into it, unless there are especially awful people calling the shots. In that case, go somewhere else. Don't expect anywhere to be perfect, though. It can't be, because nobody is perfect. But yeah, find people you're happy with.
>>
>>1027780
any book recs for this stuff?
>>
>>1027859
Can't think of any books on the subject, but a quick google search should bring up results. If you give me a couple minutes, I'll post some links.
>>
>>1027723
>wahhh wahhh you're that meany raysiss I heard about on Tumblr.
Fuck off.
>racist filth like you doesn't worship god he worships himself
God was racist.
Kys and return to reddit
>>
>>1027864
that would be cool, thanks!
>>
File: hebrews.png (515KB, 543x417px) Image search: [Google]
hebrews.png
515KB, 543x417px
>>1027859
>>1027864
Correcting my point about Roman deforestation: They didn't make a point of deforesting areas, but they had no moral qualms about chopping down acres upon acres of woodland to feed their expansion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period

Correction on my point about Celts: They didn't deforest their land to disadvantage the Romans, but they did do it to make room to graze their herds of cattle. So much so that the native Scots pine was almost driven to extinction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ireland_(400%E2%80%93800)

Correction on my point about the Blood Eagle:
The blood eagle wasn't reserved for blasphemers, but it was a way to honor Odin after a battle had been won. Additionally, historians debate whether the Blood Eagle was a literary invention or not, though it is documented in 2 separate Sagas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle
>Einarr made them carve an eagle on his back with a sword, and cut the ribs all from the backbone, and draw the lungs there out, and gave him to Odin for the victory he had won.

Correcting my point about weak babies: I was getting the Norse mixed up with the Greeks. There was a specific chasm that weak babies would be thrown into, though scholars dispute whether this is true. Excavations have only revealed adult skeletons, though it has been argued that infants would decompose much easier and quickly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta
>It is commonly stated that if they considered it "puny and deformed", the baby was thrown into a chasm on Mount Taygetos. Sparta is often portrayed as being unique in this matter; however, there is considerable evidence that the killing of unwanted children was practiced in other Greek regions, including Athens.
>>
>>1027890
haha. thanks for the links, looks like you learned some things too
>>
>>1027896
I sure did! It's pretty important to re-organize all the bits of trivia you pick up every now and then.
>>
>>1027890
Wow, so basically you were just talking out your ass then?
>>
>>1027909
About 50/50, yeah. I feel like my point still stands though.
>>
>>1027871
You literally are basing your life around a book you obviously haven't read, and somehow I'm stupid?
>>
>>1028198
Except that's wrong you fucking retard.
Why don't you go *tip* back on to where you came from?
Protip: It's Reddit
>>
>>1027910
Lol, even your point about pagans not being organized isn't exactly true

The top ranks of the Roman priesthood wielded enormous power, and julius caesar started out as head of a religious office. Same with the greeks - temple priests would be very influential citizens, and directed religious rites for the whole city.
>>
My Sifu is a Druid, and his GF is a Wiccan.
I don't know what I believe in. I believe in a higher power, or powers. I don't really subscribe to any defined religion, I guess. Born and raised Roman Catholic tho.
>>
>>1010106
You aren't meant to feel connected to the creation, you are meant to feel connected to the creator.
>>
>>1028428
You should learn more about animism. It's much more than "rocks and trees are alive maaaan." The way I see it animism is similar to Buddhism, Hinduism, and Gnosticism in the sense that all comes from the godhead or the One or whatever you want to call it, and people and nature all share that little piece of the divine. It goes a little farther with saying there are nature spirits, but you could also look at that more abstractly and see them as the essence of the thing itself

If you look at it that way you don't even need to worship named gods, just honor the nature spirits and your ancestor spirits or simply venerate nature as a concept.
>>
>>1028455

Nature is not created. The spiral and fractal structures found in living things indicate formation by an optimizing process. The gradual accumulation of complexity from simple starting conditions according to simple, sometimes emergent rules. Procedural generation basically. It produces very different looking outcomes compared to intentional engineering.
>>
File: barbaric.jpg (150KB, 610x556px) Image search: [Google]
barbaric.jpg
150KB, 610x556px
>>1028424
Ah, I should've specified. I didn't mean within their own ranks. I'm more talking about how pagans of different cultures were constantly at odds with each-other, despite having an almost identical religion. The Romans are actually a pretty good example of that, being as they slaughtered countless barbarians over the course of their expansion.
>>
Aryan paganism if you are white
>>
>>1028399
You're hot air and no substance. You're just posturing so that the maladjusted teenagers you're targeting will join the KKK and blame others all the time instead of learning to take responsibility for their own lives.
>>
>>1028399
Besides, you never explained how Jesus wasn't descended from Judah, like Luke and Matthew both clearly state, or how all the genealogies from Genesis on show Judah (and hence the Jews who bear his name) to be decended from Seth, through Noah and Shem. I think it's because you just believe the garbage that some grown-ass man calling himself a "wizard" or "dragon" told you.
>>
>>1028880
"Aryan" paganism is stuff like Hinduism and Zoroastrianism. Hitler was too stupid to realize that Arianism (Christan heresy of the third century) is not the same thing as Aryan (ethnic term cognate to "Iran" for peoples of central Asia and northern India). Go look it up.
>>
>>1028938
You're fucking retarded
>>
>>1028944
Why? What have I said that isn't true? Ancient tribes like the Goths were Arians, thanks to one of Arius' students, Wulfila, but they definitely weren't Iranian. Care to show me how that's untrue?
>>
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
>>
>>1028949
You're a faggot. Stop it.
>>
>>1028949
Why the fuck are you talking about arian christianity? You act like the fact that iranians are aryans is hidden knowledge or something. Hitler knew they were, all indo europeans are aryans.
>>
>>1010106
Druidism. That's what my dad was when he was into camping.
>>
>>1029019
No, not all IE peoples are Aryan. That was a retarded theory held by the same kind of morons who thought that The Golden Bough was based in fact. Birth have been demonstrated false. "Aryan," or something similar to it, was an endonym of speakers of Proto-Indo-Aryan, NOT a synonym for all IE peoples. I suggest you do something like go to college. You might be cured of some of your 19th century errors.

Arianism is the closest that any Germanic people came to being "Aryan." Phonetic similarity, nothing more. Germanic languages aren't even Satem languages, like the Indo-Aryan languages are.
>>
>>1029145
>do something like go to college
Ahh, so you're one of those pretentious cunts.
>t. College student
>>
>>1029246
No, I'm one of those actual experts in this subject. If it's pretension to have legitimate credentials in a topic, then yes, I'm at least as pretentious as someone who won't look up the basic facts about his assertions.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Aryan

Pay careful attention to the etymology, and also that you are, at best, not using that word in a manner consistent with current scholarship, as indicated by the note "dated."
>t. got a master's degree years ago
>>
>>1029384
>imblyign I was that other anon
Everyone knows that Aryan doesn't originally mean Germanic/Nordic mustard race. However, the meanings of words can change. Just like how Latino now refers to male Hispanics who aren't entirely mestizo, whereas is originally meant Romans from Latium.
Also I never said anything about a degree, you said "go to college" which is pretentious as fuck. A person could read all the same books as yourself and be just as educated without ever going to college, and without having tens of thousands of dollars of debt.
So fuck you.
>>
how can americans possibly turn religion into a hobby?
religion is part of your culture, stick with what you are born in
>>
>>1029458
Yeah, but then you'd be as ignorant and loony as Glenn Beck. Interaction with real experts is important. You'd know that, except you're happy to spout antique nonsense without anyone to guide you away from nonsense.

Sometimes, colleges are a waste of tone and money, yes. However, most are also a place where you can learn a lot of things through interacting with others. For one thing, if you just choose books you like, or even recommended books, you never find out what the consensus on a subject actually is, or why you should or shouldn't agree with it.
>>
>>1029520
Over-intellectual sheep.
>>
>>1029145
It has been postulated the Proto-Indo-European root word is *haerós with the meanings "members of one's own (ethnic) group, peer, freeman" as well as the Indo-Iranian meaning of Aryan. Derived from it were words like

the Hittite prefix arā- meaning member of one's own group, peer, companion and friend;
Old Irish aire meaning freeman and noble
Gaulish personal names with Ario-
Avestan airya- meaning Aryan, Iranian in the larger sense
Old Indic ari- meaning attached to, faithful, devoted person and kinsman
Old Indic aryá- meaning kind, favourable, attached to and devoted
Old Indic árya- meaning Aryan, faithful to the Vedic religion.

Fuck off.
>>
For people who'd like to get more into the roots of religion and primitive religions (pretty out) i'd suggest Mircea Eliade and Joseph Campbell, and for a good read, even though a bit outdated James George Frazer or Robert Graves (not a real academic, but still very insightful and interesting).
>>
File: berber.jpg (288KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
berber.jpg
288KB, 1066x1600px
>>1021158
There's a couple places in the Quran where Muslims are encouraged to "seek God in nature", to dick around the mountains and forests just to appreciate and enjoy his work. All practicing Muslims I know are outdoor nuts.

I like the form of Islam practiced by the Berbers of North Africa. They practice Islam now but they were one of the last groups of white people to drop their pagan beliefs, and the Islam they practice is mixed with their old nature-worshipping ways. Many mountain villages have sacred trees, caves, and mountains with sacred rites particular to the area. It's definitely taboo though, so it's hard to find these things or find out about them.
Of course with the younger generation becoming more educated, this is all dying fast.
>>
>>1029984
I haven't read those other people, but seconding Joseph Campbell. Reading him makes you feel like you have a better understanding of the collective consciousness of mankind not only in modern times but throughout history.
>>
>>1029982
Look at source #8:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan

If you've reading so many books on your own, go read that one. You're spouting outdated theories that confuse the meaning of words like the Greek "aristos" with an endonym. You might as well be trying to convince me that light must travel through aether.
>>
>>1029984
I've just been going on and on about how Frazer is discredited. He had some interesting ideas, but made up nearly all the evidence supporting them.
>>
Why the fuck do you need a religion based that's pro \out/. That's like deciding to be a Mormon because I want 4 wives and not really what religion is about.
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.