[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these a good idea for a shelter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: GoLite-Poncho-Tarp-1.jpg (246KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
GoLite-Poncho-Tarp-1.jpg
246KB, 800x598px
Are these a good idea for a shelter?
>>
>>1009961
Only if there's no wind and rain.
>>
>>1009962
Just put it closer to or on the ground then.
>>
>>1009961
If you're not a retard they are fine. Tards have a lot of trouble though
>>
>>1009961
call me inexperienced, but as much as i like primitive/minimal living techniques, i dont fuck with scorpions especially. spiders i can deal with, but i take nth precautions before closing my eyes in the desert
>>
>>1009974
The ends are wide open.
>>
File: better.jpg (146KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
better.jpg
146KB, 800x532px
>>1009961
>>
>>1009961
I know guys that just throw a sleeping bag on the ground regardless of it it rains or not because if you have a waterproof bag only your face gets wet and if you're a hard son of a bitch you dont mind that at all

Those guys dont do that for just a day either, im sayin like a month straight
>>
>>1009961
If a rain storm passed over they would be fucking drenched. If it's the summer, spiders and snakes would get them.
>>
>>1010114
>spiders and snakes preying on large mammals

Hahahahaha dude
>>
>>1010116
>preying
They don't have to prey on something to bite it, dipshit. People get spider and centipede bites from rolling over on them in their sleep.
>>
>>1009961
No protection from insects or wind. Poor protection from rain.

Tarp shelters are ok, but tents are better.
>>
Tarps are fine if you use some kind of natural shelter with them for protection against the prevailing wind. Bolders, trees and large bushes are all good.
>>
>>1009961
>>1009962
>>1009974
You need to pitch it under a big tree which can block the wind and cause the rain to fall directly downward. Even then, you may need to block one of the ends with a small piece of tarp. I really prefer tarping with something that's fairly weatherproof in the first place. Sometimes, it's hard to find a flat spot around a big tree with soft enough soil for stakes to go in.

>>1010093
That's not a poncho-tarp, though.

>>1010098
>I know guys that just throw a sleeping bag on the ground regardless of it it rains or not because if you have a waterproof bag only your face gets wet and if you're a hard son of a bitch you dont mind that at all
>
>Those guys dont do that for just a day either, im sayin like a month straight
Waterproof bags are heavy and bulky, especially if they use synthetic insulation, and even then, moisture can accumulate inside, reducing the bag's ability to insulate. Yeah, synthetic fill can insulate when wet, but you're still going to be colder and more miserable than if the insulation was dry. If OP wants to use a poncho-tarp, he's probably rocking an ultralight down bag - definitely not waterproof.
>>
Why do you guys hate tents so much?
>>
>>1010557
I was merely saying that I've met quite a few men in my life that did what I referenced previously for extended periods of time seemingly unphased.
>>
>>1010582
Great, bro. I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that your comment was relevant to a conversation about ultralight backpacking, but it seems it was wasted on you.
>>
>>1010594
>implying 1 sleeping bag isnt objectively less weight than a backpack full of gear

Hmmmm
>>
>>1010557
So, what you are saying is you should just get a sealed puptent and be done with the shit in the OP.
>>
>Muh Wind!
>Muh Rain!

Problem solved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAtpWQdVbY

There are loads of ways to set up a tarp. This is just one of MANY enclosed designs.
>>
God, I hate normies who think they know anything just because they "saw" somebody doing something once and they interpreted it as a viable way to do something in the outdoors: >>1010598

Listen, faggot. I know you're only 15 and you don't know how to cope with concepts that fall outside of your world view, but no one who knows what they're doing is going to spend all night in a rain storm outdoors in just a sleeping bag, "waterproof" or not - and most likely not, due to the way sleeping bags are constructed, it's impossible to make one that's waterproof enough to just throw it under the clouds and have any hope of staying dry inside. The ONLY reason you think that anybody does this in any variety of situations is because you've never done it yourself.
>>
>>1010599
I'm not saying that, but it's certainly an option, sure.
>>
>>1010601
That's a 10' x 10' tarp. The poncho-tarp in the OP measures about 8.5' x 4.5', which is significantly less versatile.
>>
>>1010580
Tarps are lighter.
>>
>>1010630
You seem to not understand that I was on the same extended outdoor trips as the people I was talking about.

I had a tent. I thought they were crazy. They had more fun than me. Totally unphased.
>>
File: out of place.png (498KB, 715x539px) Image search: [Google]
out of place.png
498KB, 715x539px
>>1010654
Still doesn't mean it's a viable plan.
>>
>>1010656
>not viable
>done effortlessly by 3 bros

Please get over your insecurities.
>>
>>1010658
>young men in the prime of their health did something that taxed their bodies for a short period of time
Really puts all those Iron Man runners to shame.
>>
>>1010656
That girl despite being a libtard was kinda nice, she wasn't sperging too much.
>>
>>1010659
Hahahahahahahaha

>sleeping on the ground without a roof is taxing

Hahahahahahaha

You wittle babby.

Better start collecting SSI after a long day at work, you're broken forever.

Hahahahahaha
>>
File: UberSalash.jpg (24KB, 380x286px) Image search: [Google]
UberSalash.jpg
24KB, 380x286px
Sharing the Russian survivalist meme that is officially a required answer to this thread.
>>
>>1010557

It's around 1.3 kg, not sure if that classes as ultralight. But yes, it is made of down which makes it next to useless if wet.

I have spent a night under a tarp in a bivy in the rain, main problem was condensation in the bivy. Was otherwise fine. The poncho looks like a fucking meme if ever I've seen one though. Does anyone actually use these /out/?
>>
>>1010665
Sauce?
>>
>>1010681
http://lurkmore.to/Игopь_Гpyдцинoв
>>
>>1010664
>so confident of his ability to get any rest in a cold, soggy sponge bag while rain is falling on his face that he's now fallen back on speaking in baby talk
You are cringe as fuck, dude.
>>
>>1010705
It's okay, the Marriott-Hilton is just down the interstate. The spooky rain can't get you there.
>>
>>1010707
You must be 18 or older to post on 4chan. Even on the SFW boards.
>>
>>1010712
Hey man it's fine. You made a shitty argument. You pretended to have full knowledge of the physical and mental condition of the people that I was camping with.

You don't, and that's fine. You're just foolish and can't grasp that people don't need REI's christmas catalog to do things.

My buds were fine, by the way, completely stress free and relaxed. "Unphased" was a word I used multiple times, perhaps you could look it up.
>>
>>1009961
Where is that, Cali? Looks like a dry and comfy climate so why not, I don't think I could pull this off here in Norway though. Even in summer
>>
>>1010098
It's called a bivy
>>
>>1010720
Bivies are nice but no these guys flat out used sleeping bags.
>>
>>1010717
>"I know these guys who did a thing once"
>"that makes me an expert"
>proceeds to criticize other people' "arguments"
This is why we need age verification here.
>>
>>1010727
No no no you see, I was there and you weren't. You've no right to make any claims on their condition. This is just a silly fallacy. Are you sure you aren't 13?
>>
>>1010746
I once saw a man make the Statue of Liberty disappear. You didn't. Therefore, I'm an expert at wizardry.

This is the rhetorical level you are on.
>>
>>1010778
Not at all and you are probably aware of how full of shit you are.

There are no logical grounds for you to determine the state of these people.

To make such a false comparrison at this point seems purposeful.

6/10 slightly trolled
>>
>>1010780
Stop projecting.
>>
>>1010781
>projecting
Ah the old stop projecting meme

How about you explain to me how it's possible for you to know these men were in poor condition?

We were adjacent to a lake, also with cliffs. Rock climbing and swimming all day every day for a month. Smiles had the entire time. Not a single moan. I'm aware of these details, explain to me how you manage to KNOW that it was the opposite.

You are the one projecting. As usual with "stop projecting memers", they are the projectors.
>>
>>1010664
>>sleeping on the ground without a roof is taxing
If that's what you call shivering throughout the night without getting any decent rest for your body, sure....
>>
>>1010898
1) was using a term first used by that other fella
2) who said anybody was cold
>>
>>1010906
This is why I know you didn't read the first reply I made to you. If you think that throwing any kind of sleeping bag, "waterproof" or not, out on the ground, and just letting the rain fall on you with no plan to go into a tent, is going to result in a good night's sleep, then you are seriously lacking experience in the outdoors. The rest of us know what "waterproof" means in regard to this kind of outdoor gear and most of us have spent several nights in a sleeping bag that was slightly damp. Is it fun? You are going to have to go get the experience and tell me that. I'm not going to spoonfeed you.
>>
>>1010954
Except we had a great time :^)

Sorry that you, like many are incompetant at managing their supplies.

Fairly easy to air things out. Also, quite hilarious that you claim such experience but firmly believe there are no good waterproof bags.

Just get over yourself already. We had a GREAT time. I even left my tent and slept on the dirt a few days because those guys were enjoying themselves so much.
>>
>>1010963
>but firmly believe there are no good waterproof bags.
Name one, genius.
>>
>>1010965
If you say so...

Owned an earlier model for many years. Absolutely amazing and has never once failed me in any capacity whatsoever. Breathable, and waterproof, and somehow windproof. I don't know how they did it but it's fantastic. And so cheap, too!

https://www.amazon.com/Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-WATERPROOF-0-Degree/dp/B003BR50D6

Pack it in bro, you're just a little dick.
>>
>>1010971
Don't insult my intelligence. In previous versions of your story, it was only "the men" who were sleeping outside in w/p sleeping bags. Now you're the gear tester who can totally vouch for this product's waterproofness? For the fifteenth time, I call bullshit.

>and waterproof, and somehow windproof.
Now I don't think you even own any sleeping bag.
>>
>>1010976
In what capacity do these guys sleeping outside imply I can't have my own gear?

Stop trying to pretend you have a brain.

Want me to take a photo of my Mt.Rainier bag? Yes, it is in fact all of those things. It isn't my fault that you buy poor products for a high price.
>>
>>1010980
Not what I said or what you claimed previously.
>>
>>1010982
I didnt claim I didnt have gear. You maniac.

Do you think that has been my only camping experience ever?

You are absurd in every degree.
>>
>>1010717
not that anon but you are fucking retarded.

so you have anacdotal experience, NOT EVEN YOUR OWN, that ''its okay to sleep in the rain in your sleeping bag''

let me break it to you,

all you're doing is risking some poor unexperienced anons with hypothermia.

It is NOT a good idea for your plan A to be to compromise your gear.

No outdoorsman would purposely go out with NO PROVISIONS FOR SHELTER.

Stop spewing shit online.

Never mind its' not even relevant to OPs question. He wants shelter suggestions, do you think suggestiong NO shelter is a viable contribution to the thread?
>>
>>1011150
Well I eventually adopted their style.

It's seriously fine until below freezing.

I mean, I get that most folks tend to panic or require reassuring comforts to have a good time.

That's fine.

They can get a tent. No big deal.

I'm more-so providing information on the different ways people do things rather than give advice on how people SHOULD do things.

I think it's important for people to realize there is more than one way to function.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.