[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing, Yachting and Boating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: first in the water.jpg (2MB, 4160x2080px) Image search: [Google]
first in the water.jpg
2MB, 4160x2080px
Sailing is the /out/ activity for the discerning gentleman. Post sailing yachts and your sailing stories and give advice to sailing newfags.
>>
File: 20170507_135508_HDR.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170507_135508_HDR.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
First outing of the year, breaking in the new barbecue.
>>
>>1009925
>Mainsail still wrapped
>Traveller sheet frayed to shit
>Boat at berth
>Mess of loose gear around helm

Do you even sail?
>>
File: 1405536487385.png (753KB, 629x754px) Image search: [Google]
1405536487385.png
753KB, 629x754px
Back in highschool I used to take my sunfish with my friends to the Pamlico Sound in NC and throw out traps for blue crab. Then after a day of sailing I'd collect my crabs and cook them with beer and old bay on the beach while watching the sunset.

>tfw I don't live near the beach anymore and haven't been in years.
>>
>>1010925
>Implying I'd have a data connection when I'm out on the lake, i barely have 3g when I'm at the marina

I got up to the boat (90 minute drive) around lunchtime and was hungry, so I ate before messing around with unwrapping the sail and prepping to go out. You've got me on the sheet though, that needs replacing.
>>
Just got my first sailboat. Its going to be a project... a long one. The price was right though. A case of natty ice.
>>
seriously no one is into sailing?????????
>>
>>1013215
It's not like the main demographic for Yachting intersects with the 4chan userbase. Generally rich old white guys tend not to come to this part of the internet.
>>
>>1013215
I would love to sail but don't have $100k sitting around. I have a canoe
>>
read my post. That boat cost a case of natty ice. its nothing special but it floats and its mine
>>
>>1013240
Good deal. I guess I misinterpreted. Didn't think you'd get a sail boat for some cans of piss. I'm jealous but also not near an ocean. Lake superior sailing would be fun though.
>>
>>1009916
Had a Southcoast 22' for a few years in southern Indiana. Theres no wind there and the engine crapped out so I had the boat scrapped then moved to England. I'm retarded
>>
>>1013238
You can get a nice 22-25 foot sailing boat for like $8k, mine (in the op) was only $10k and it included a really good highway trailer. It doesn't have to be a rich man's hobby. That said, I'll be dropping about $70k on a much nicer bigger boat if I ever find myself living on the coast.
>>
File: 1492981587927.png (178KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1492981587927.png
178KB, 666x666px
>>1013252
/thread
>>
my boat in the hanger is missing the boom for the mast. Not even sure what its proper name is. Trying to find one around with out spending too much. Ebay is like 250 plus shipping. There is a guy on craigslist with everything i need but he wants 500... the boat cost me 16 bucks worth of beer... so any advice?
>>
>>1013262
Get a big aluminum pole
>>
File: IMG_2107.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2107.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
During a race one time there was this dude about 6'6 who was hit by the boom of a cal 27 when we jibed. It was crazy how loud it was when it hit and the amount of blood that splashed onto the boat was something I though that only happened in movies.

Crazy thing was that he was really experienced having done a couple long distance races in Aus or something. Really goes to show how improtant it is to pay attention.
>>
>>1013300
Did he died?
>>
>>1013303
Actually he came out just fine. He even wanted to finish the race, but obviously we had to go back. The next week he came and showed us small amount of stitching he had to recieve which was strange considering how much damage it seemed to have been at the time.
>>
My wife and I are considering getting a yacht or tug and doing live aboard for a few months at anchor in Europe.
Anyone done any live aboard before?
I think engine is probably better than sail as we won't take it out that often unless commuting or going on a holiday to the islands.
We've got about 20k pocket money.
>>
>>1013323
You may be hard pressed to get a sailboat you'll want to live aboard full time with that budget. I'd say to look at a tug or something. There is this one 101ft 1960s tug in Italy for about $20k but it's probably gonna need some work.
>>
Just got a 70's 27ft sailboat. The condition is semi shitty ($3800), but has working diesel engine and newer sails.
The previous owner lived on the boat the last 2 years.
>>
>>1013300
You know why they're called booms, right? Because that's the sound they make when they hit your head.
>>
File: 1386221760948.png (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386221760948.png
21KB, 400x400px
>>1013255
$8k is what I make in a year
>>
>>1013262
Fencepost and a spool of 6mm yachtbraid
>>
File: formosa.jpg (93KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
formosa.jpg
93KB, 675x900px
>>
File: 20170428_074943.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_074943.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Boatyard worker here, couple weeks ago we launched an F3 racing boat named bamboozle.
Fun looking boat but a common problem with bigger boats is the owner is rich and doesn't even sail it too much.
This time of year sucks ass though as every normie wants their boat launched around here just before memorial day weekend.
It gets quite hectic but lots of crazy shit goes on that makes for good stories.
>>
File: 1493138120048.jpg (110KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493138120048.jpg
110KB, 400x400px
>>1017153
how are you even existing
or are you just some neet parasite who lives in his parents basement
>>
>>1013215
I like hobie cats, but that's pretty much the extent of my sailing experience.
>>
>>1017153
>Making $8k/year
That's really unfortunate unless you're a student or something.
>>
File: ship.jpg (173KB, 588x376px) Image search: [Google]
ship.jpg
173KB, 588x376px
>>1009916
So there is ad in my town for a sailing boat. It is quiet big 49 ft long and 13.5 ft wide. Ideally I want to be a live aboard and this seems big enough. The best thing is that it is only 1,500 € The Interieur is really run down and needs a lot of work though. But other then that the price seems almost as good to be true. I have no idea about boats and sailing though and I want to get into it. Should I just dump my savings in it? I am still a student so this is no light investment for me. I am really scared that someone will beat me to it, because I think it is a crazy good offer. What do you think?
>>
>>1020531
>go to the harbour bar
>find an experianced boat owner
>have him/her come with you when looking at the boat, get an impartial opinion on it

or find like a family member to with you

do you know your laws about registration/harbour spot/ living it it, oither expenses etc?
>>
>>1020542
Actually my mom has a lot of sailing experience. I should probably take her. I don't know much about the legal aspects. Fuck i don't know anything. I know that a place at a local marina is only a couple of hundred a year though. Is it wise to just let the boat sit in the water all year long or should I dry store it for doing repairs and such?
>>
>>1020531
Student?
Don't even; just no....
>>
>>1021019
o-ok
>>
>>1020531
>49 ft
>1,500 €

There has to be something extremely wrong with it.
>>
>>1020531
Post the ad my dude.
>>
>>1020531
Do you actually want to sail it?

If yes, turn 360 degrees and walk away because at 1500 bongbux that thing is either utterly unseaworthy or the deal of the decade and it's not the latter. If not, it might not be a bad arrangement depending on the marina fees, whether or not you have to buy insurance, et cetera. You get shore power (provided, of course, that the electrical systems work and won't send you to a firey grave) so you can run a hotplate or a microwave or something and most marinas have Wi-Fi now plus boat people are always interesting and marinas are very peaceful places most of the time.

That said, if you decide to get serious about it as a live-aboard then do your homework and shell out to get the damn thing surveyed (see if the seller will go halfsies) before making a move.

Also post the ad
>>
>>1021435
>>1021156

>post the ad

I'm scared someone will steal it right under me. But it is German anyway. so

As I said, the ad mentions how fucked the interior is. Also the Scuff rails needs replacing. The 2 sails are overhauled though and the hull is undamaged. I wouldn't mind spending lots of hours and probably money on it.

I would love to take it on short trips in the far future. But for now I'm just looking for something comfy and spacious to live aboard. Marinas aren't expensive here. It would be far cheaper then the rent I'm paying for my 15 qm room in a shared apartment.
>>
>>1021436
Fucking site won't let me post the link anyway
bit ly 2q64ond
>>
>>1021436
Get it surveyed then.

Summer is coming up so you'll have time to put in sweat equity.
>>
>>1021438

>We offer a schooner in robust ferrocement construction.

>- Stagsegelschoner year of construction 1975
>- Ramp length 13,85m
>- Overall length 16m
>- Width 4.10m
>- Weight 28t
>- draft 2.30 m

>- 2 masts
>- 5 sails with approx. 120 m2 sail surface overhauled
>- Dailmer Benz Ottomotor 352 self-propelled engine with 100 hp

>The ship has to be renovated from the inside, the hull does not show any damage. This hull construction technology has a life expectancy of approx. 100 years. The scouring bar needs to be rebuilt.

>The boat is also suitable for the houseboat due to its spacious interior.

From the pictures it looks like at least a full summer of full work before it becomes partially liveable, and probably another 2 on top of that. If you have a barn or something at home to store the boat in year round for work that's gonna cut the time in half and make it at least borderline feasible.

If you think it's the right call then you should go for it.
>>
>>1021504
Thanks for translating the ad I was just too lazy. Would you say those timeframes check out even for someone who has no idea what he is doing? I mean I am good with working with my hands but I would need to learn everything from scratch. I have 2 to 3 months of time on my hands though after I've finished college next month and still the weekends after that. So should be doable. I think I will try to get it, if it is even still available.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.