/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Design a Self Sufficient Garden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 13

File: 2016-12-28-19-05-35-1844909673.jpg (15KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-28-19-05-35-1844909673.jpg
15KB, 275x183px
How would /out/ design a garden or farm if you wanted to live the fully /out/?
I would grow mainly staple crops in my region (North Carolina ) -sweet potatoes and some grains. Put in a large 100 ft by 100 ft garden with a rotational raised bed system. Raise chickens for eggs(Plymouth rock), rabbits for meat, and some nigerian goats for dairy. Stock a little pond with bass, bluegill, and catfish with crawdads. Set up a big compost section to keep waste down and good soil additives up. Of course, have my hotty and our kids and dogs with us. That's just about heaven to me.

Pic somewhat related.
>>
> mfw you just described exactly what me and my gf are planning on doing
>>
>>1009885
Right on brother. Where do you guys live?

Also, we are thinking of growing a few tobacco plants to allow me to indulge in my pipe smoking vice.
>>
>>1009887
Sounds nice, try being as self sufficient as you possibly can while being comfortable.

I am a Dutch guy currently living the studen/slave life. My and my girlfriend decided that the whole "keeping up with the jonesses" thing is completely true. Mostly I, long for a simple farm-style life. Planning on moving to Czech Republic a.s.a.p., where land is cheaper and the people are less "diverse".

>inb4 racist
>>
Any info on growing vertically?
>>
>>1009877
There should be a general for this, tbqh.
I'm in the same position for the most part.
>>
>>1009889
Is that we're most folks in Europe go to find a nice rural place to live? My wife and I are in our upper 20s and just bought the land with a small house this week. Same thing-why try to live a suburban or urban life if you feel cramped or unsafe die to "diversity "
>>
>>1009893
We are looking on growing grapes on our little spot of land.
>>
>>1009894
Where are you looking?
>>
>>1009897
I'm sorry, I can't figure out what you're trying to say.
>>
>>1009900
Just in western WA.
I don't think this is the best place to set up a little farm, but I'm honestly too in love to leave.
>>
>>1009904
Sorry. I'm typing from my phone.
Basically, I agree with you. I like living with people who are like me.
My wife and I (op) just bought land and ate in the process of designing how we want to live there.
>>
>>1009914
Damn, that's making me jelous. It will take me years to get there. Looking forward to growing veggies, growing mushrooms, keeping chickens, keeping laying hens, keeping pigs, cows and rabbits.

Life is grand, all the best to you and your SO. Where are you located?
>>
>>1009897
Translation: I don't like urban living because I'm scared of black people
>>
>>1009922
Real translation: I don't like urban living because niggers are fucking insane and will kill anybody if they feel like it.
>>
>>1009922
Or we have had our house broken into twice this year alone and lost a family heirloom that had been in my line since the 1400s that was probably pawned to fix a drug addiction. Check out the crime statistics in "multicultural" urban areas
>>
>>1009922
Multi-culti aside, citylife is pretty bad for my autism.
>>
>>1009921
Dude, why years? We are financing it just to get out there, but it's now our home (previously rent) payment and entertainment as well. Plus it's gonna keep you healthy working outside as opposed to sitting on a computer at home. If you don't do it in two years, you will never do it.
>>
>>1009924
I feel for you man, sorry to hear that. God bless you.

>>1009927
I have to fix my bachelors, which will take three more fucking years. At least I am switching to a 4-day working system so I can work and start saving up for a piece of land in Czech. When I finish my bachelor I can move to Czech and buy a nice piece of land while working 3 days a week in Prague (the most beautiful city I have ever been to) to pay of mortgage and save some money.

>If you don't do it in two years, you will never do it.
I know man, but I literally have no degree and no money.
>>
>>1009889
Why not move to the USA? Good land is still pretty cheap over here
>>
>>1009941
I wouldn't know what to do for a job without a degree.
>>
>>1009931
Oh ok, I understand. I'll say this, make your job revolve around what you want, not the other way around if you can. Otherwise you will end up slightly more wealthy but miserable every day. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan brother. What degree are you studying?
>>
>>1009946
Cheers, thanks for the support.

Looking around al property for sale in MI I can't help but get emotional. Fucking 80 acres for 70K in the middle of the forest. Sounds like a dream to me.

I'm in my first year of a four year long bachelor programming. Basically, I want to become a JAVA programmer. It's a computer language that earns a lot of money and will allow me to work few days while still earning a decent income. Working from home is also very possible which is great too.

What state are you moving to?
>>
>>1009951
I'm op. I currently live in North Carolina and hoping to stay for a few years.

Friend, I know it's a move, but seriously look at the US. We need more good people to consolidate to one area. Haha
>>
>>1009953

How can I move to the US if I do not have a good skill such as programming or engineering? Tricky to get a visa
>>
>>1009953
I was looking at the US for a while. Especially mississippi, not going to lie: I googled "most religious/white state of us" and saw mississippi. Haha.

But yeah, I really wouldn't mind moving to the US. Unfortunatly it's very hard for a hard working white European to move to the US. It would've been way easier if I was a Muslim refugee wanting to rape white women.

Anyway, thanks for the support, I'll look into it a bit more
>>
>>1009960
Please do. Let me know if I can help in any way.
>>
>>1009877
see
>>1008692

Stay in your containment thread.
>>
>>1009953
Im living a similar life stlye in Georgia, wish id set up in north carolina tho, its beautiful up there.
>>
>>1009963
Looking around in Mississippi. Found a country called Clay country. I was like "yeah, this could be it".

> 58% african american
> 40% white
> 2% other

Like, seriously?
>>
>>1009877
raised beds are a meme

biggest thing is to make sure you're putting nutrients back into the garden, beans are good at that.
>>
>>1009960
Mississippi is the most black state in the nation.

I'd go a state or two north.
>>
>>1010075
I live on a mountain. Raised beds are a fucking lifesaver.
>>
>>1010220
redpill me on raised beds?
>>
>>1010291
Don't have to dig rock out of the ground. More aesthetic options if you are into that. Can help keep roots warm in colder climates. Can get too hot if it's warm already though. Drainage can be an issue.
>>
>>1009941
Visas are such a fucking ball ache in the states though and as a dutchman, he doesn't have to worry as much about moving inside Europe.
>>
>>1009946
>>1009951
Don't fall for that 'do what you feel like' shit. In my experience, people can rarely do exactly what they want to do at the start of their career. Just do what makes good cash, then move in the direction you like once you're a little more established.
'Do what you feel like'-ism is why there are so many art majors who end up working at hungry jacks or Burger King.

This said, Java dev makes fine money so best of luck.
>>
>>1009954
Internal office transfer is the most efficient way to do it but even then it isn't brilliant. Try >>/trv/ they might know
>>
>>1010315
I'm slowly learning this, I also fell for the 'dude just do what you want' and did an art course but I'm on the right path now.
I'm doing some PHP and webdevving now, just to make sure I have financial stability and space to do things in the future.
So while I'm working I do a little gardening in my spare time and most importantly, I read and gather information on how to live a sustainable life.
Then, when the time is ready I can score some land.

Would love to build a small house with my own hands.
>>
File: 1492911041458.jpg (55KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
1492911041458.jpg
55KB, 680x382px
>>1009877
If anyone is thinking about having a little garden, I highly recommend going to Home Depot and buying ten strawberry plants. I have about that much and whenever I go into the backyard I can eat all the berries I want.
I have a nice garden in my family's backyard. Lots of tomatoes, squash, a long line of carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, and some herbs.
Anyone have any recommendations on what else should be planted?
>>
>>1009877

if you have the means, take a course bro.

My buddy did a course with his gf and turned into a permaculture guru. He converted his small holding into a self sustaining affair. His free range eggs and vegetables are amazing. Madman also makes his own butter.

something like this if you are a starter..

http://wildabundance.net/classes/permaculture-design-certification-course/
>>
>>1009877
I guess somewhat like this. Im very fond of the set up though I would likely raise rabbits as well.
>>
File: 1489706265054.jpg (97KB, 880x516px) Image search: [Google]
1489706265054.jpg
97KB, 880x516px
>>1010388
Forgot pic
>>
I have done something similar to what you are describing.

I have 100 acres in Europe. Have a poly tunnel, chickens, fruit + nut trees, solar, wind turbine, water supply etc

My advice to anyone, especially other Europeans, is to not do it alone. Even 2 people is tight.

If you can, try to get your parents to move with you. Helps with kids and other chores
>>
>>1010413
>not do it alone
I wish I wasn't autism.

But, maybe if I can score a good job before my parents are totally worn out I can get a good financial supply and fix a decent retirement for them so I can put them to work, my dad would certainly like it better than what he does now.

Though I'm kinda hopeless when it comes to relationships.
>>
>>1010389
How big do you reckon that property is supposed to be?
>>
>>1010767
Pretty sure it's not to scale as pigs are almost as big as cows, and chickens are almost the size of windows
>>
>>1009877

Your description is almost exactly what I'm planning minus the goats (will have to look those up) one thing you may want to think about is mixing in some sort of crop that will provide good cooking oil/animal fodder. My choice was sunflowers. They're extremely hardy and don't require much assistance. They'll give you sunflower oil when pressed and the remaining material can be fed to your animals.
>>
>>1010767
1 acre IIRC. It's from the complete guide to self sufficiency. Picture is not to scale tho
>>
>>1010794
I was more asking how big a property like that has to be to be able to have both cows and pigs in that small (comparatively) of an area.
Looking at the graphic, the place doesn't look too large, but I could be mistaken.
>>
>>1010815
I thought cows needed more than one acre to be able to roam and stuff, but I don't remember where I heard that, so I dunno if that's legitimate or not.

I looked up that book too, but got multiple results.
Are you referring to the one by Kim Pezza?
>>
>>1009877
prepare to put in hard labor, EVERYsingle day and have a job to boot to pay for bills
>>
>>1011449
Don't discourage people from this lifestyle, it's a lot more rewarding than wageslaving in a city.

OP, check out Justin Rhodes on Youtube, definetly my favorite Youtuber and homesteader.
>>
Anyone have any experience with permaculture? It seems too good to be true.
>>
>>1010803
It's weird you bring that up. I just bought a few lbs sunflower seeds to plant with mammoth clover and winter rye mixed in. Gotta cover a few acres
>>
>>1011489
I love watching Justin Rhoades and his family. (Also NC, but a few hour drive away) he is the guy that actually inspired me to look into chickens more
>>
>>1009922

I dont like urban living because I HATE black people

Fear has nothing to do with it
>>
>>1009960

>tfw I used to work in immigration in the UK

The people there really do want as many rapists as possible coming in, they are all insane "feminists"
>>
>>1012160
Same here. Probably my biggest inspiration in life.
>>
>>1010324
Maybe some lavender to keep the flies away
>>
>>1012369
Disliking things is being phobic of them anon, get with the program
>>
>>1012463
Any ideas on good plants to keep mosquitos at bay?

Also, I bought a bat house to bring bats in to eat the mosquitos...how do I get bats to take up residence in my bat home?
>>
>>1012914
Animal bros are better at helping to remove mosquitos than plants. Even if they are carnivorous plants, which attract by producing sweet or rotten odors to attract a different type of insect.

Bat houses are a start, but bats don't really eat many mosquitoes unless they are in a super high concentration of them like the colony lives in a marsh. Things like dragon flies and damsel flies are great, but you can do little to attract them since doing so means you are also giving mosquitoes even more places to breed. Most mosquitoes are eaten during their aquatic stages. Dragon flies and damsel flies are the best way to catch them airborne really. Spiders are good only if they build webs in the right places.

So, the best bet is to drain mosquito habitats or add aquatic predators to those habitats (any small species of fish including all fry, elephant mosquitoes, etc.)

Plants really suck in all ways against mosquitoes.
>>
>>1012914
>>1012929
Pfff, Jesus Chirst that wasn't easy. It's suprisingly hard to snap a cat's neck so I ended up shooting it with a shotgun.

Anyway, have you tried using cat repellant flowers?
>>
File: 1494665183569.jpg (91KB, 688x894px) Image search: [Google]
1494665183569.jpg
91KB, 688x894px
>>
>>1012929
Cool. So do larger fish usually not even mess with mosquito larvae?
>>
File: 1494441747882m.jpg (140KB, 1024x728px) Image search: [Google]
1494441747882m.jpg
140KB, 1024x728px
But here is the real deal. How many calories can you grow? What is the highest energy, by calorie, food you can grow(plants only, not just animals) as a staple crop that will last you through to the next season
>>
>>1014072
Sweet potatoes are up there with calories. There's also other super easy growing plants like pumpkins, chayote and jerusalem artichoke.
>>
>>1014191
Pumpkins are very hard to preserve without resorting to canning, at which point it's not really a "staple" crop, and is out-calorie'd by fruits (which also need canning).
>>
>>1010816

Those pics are wildly unrealistic. How much room you need varies based on climate/soil. Like, it can be a factor of 10 difference.

Subsistence farming is unsustainable. It only works if you have some outside income to support it.
>>
>>1012157

What's the clover and rye for? Just cover or are you using it as a feed?
>>
>>1009960
pls come to Minnesota!!!
>>
>>1014257
Both. I'm going to use both chicken and rabbit tractors and will just use those grasses as cover, soil regeneration, and animal feed.
>>
>>1009889
>>1009897
>>1009923
>>1009924
>>1012375
>>1012369
>>1012585
there was absolutely no reason to bring this up except for the purpose of, to borrow a phrase you probably like to throw around, "virtue signal" your fear and hatred of other races.

back to your cage please.
>>>/pol/

>>1009960
>people actually think this
pure delusion.
>>
>>1014283
U wot m8?
>>
>>1014283
I'm sorry, not one of those posters, but how the hell do you "virtue signal" on an anonymous Hawaiian cheese grading board? It implies you get personal recogniton of your virtue signaling. What a le tard.
>>
>>1014283
Virtue signaling
On an anonymous website.
Lol.
>>
>>1014283
More like pure dilution
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/migration/migration.htm
>>
>>1014257
Also, I'm planting two seperated clovers, massive and red. I heard that's a good mix, also with barley and beets if you till the ground.
>>
>>1014295
>>1014301
my understanding of virtue signaling is that it is "conspicuous expression of moral values by an individual done primarily with the intent of enhancing that person's standing within a social group" (Wikipedia definition). yes, your identity on 4chan isn't linked to your real identity, but it is still a social group subject to normal social forces like users wanting to feel included and define an identity for themselves. signaling alignment with the political hivemind is a way to achieve both of these, though I agree that the degree of separation from real identity makes 4chan an interesting case. i'd be interested to read some studied of this in anonymous communities.

but if you like I could revise my statement: there was absolutely no reason to bring this up.
>>
File: 1487284648792m.jpg (110KB, 1024x666px) Image search: [Google]
1487284648792m.jpg
110KB, 1024x666px
>>1014350
The hell are you talking about?

OP mentions he wants to live in the country and be self sustaining. Other people, through a long line of exchange bring other reasons/benefits to moving in the country. Are you that sheltered that you can't let people speak without you getting butt hurt and feel the need to bring up that you don't think what some strangers say to each other on the internet should be permitted.
What were you hoping to accomplish outside of "virtue signaliing"? How did what you write contribute to anything except bumping a thread you don't agree with?

Let's get back on topic, how long could you keep regular potatoes in the ground to store them? Would they rot if left in the ground?
>>
>>1010822

Good rule of thumb is one cow per acre.
>>
>>1014275
>>1014317

Good info to keep in mind. Thanks m8.
>>
>>1014435
Your welcome. I live in a piece of land that use to be a farm and the soil is in pretty bad shape, but I hope to get it healthy over the next 5 years if I can work on it.
>>
>>1014385
Have you looked into rotational / mob grazing?
>>
>>1014283
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>1012585
"You hate Nazis out of fear!!"
>>
>>1016456
Naziphobic piece of sh*t!
>>
>>1014612

Nope, but then I don't own any grazing animals (other than my wife, that is). I had heard the 1 cow per acre from my great uncle who used to raise them and sheep.
>>
>>1012914
>good plants to keep mosquitos at bay?
Exactly what you'd expect, citronella. Lemongrass also produces citronella oil/scent and can be picked up at most asian markets (it's a food/herb)
>>
>>1010075

They're a meme for a reason.
>>
>>1017184
I'm curious about raised beds. Are they worth it if I want to raised enough food for my family?
>>
>>1017232

Vegetables, absolutely yes. Cereal grains? No.

It's basically about intelligent use of space, ultra-rich soil in a very limited space, and NO soil compression from you walking on it. You need to use some high density agriculture techniques, but yeah it'll handle a family.

Try getting Square Foot Gardening. That's a meme for a reason, too. His technique includes staggered planting so you get a staggered harvest (ie something fresh is ready to harvest all the time if you're careful), which is ideal for homesteading.

Grains require more square footage for a given yield, so raised beds won't work. But early on you'll be buying grain/flour for cash anyway. Pasture for livestock has its own issues. But raised beds really are all that for truck farm stuff
>>
>>1017454
>staggered harvest
I'd like to second this. It's pretty much necessary to can the excess food in order to have something to use during the off-season, but if everything a family were to use were to be harvested at the same time, there's simply no way a single family would be able to preserve everything before it were to go bad. That's why it's never recommended that a person try to just jump into gardening, there's a world of information on each individual plant, and the effort needed to plant and harvest everything, coupled with having to learn everything about each plant being grown will be overwhelming.

OP should be planting a select few of the more overpriced foods that he knows that they'll use, and then progressively add more each year until his family's needs are met. My recommendation would be to start with trees and bushes that will take multiple years to grow; for my area, planting apple and peach trees and raspberry and strawberry bushes in the first year would be a solid way to go. Fruit is much more expensive to purchase than it is to produce, and requires little maintenance once established, producing larger volumes of food in subsequent years.
>>
>>1014362
(I am someone else.)

It could annoy the fuck out of actual blacks and mexicans, like myself, whose recent ancestors have already achieved what OP asked for dozens of times in the past century, without oil, whose more recent ancestors scaled this up to fully genetically self-sufficient mini-ranches, again without oil and whilst developing poor land, quite unnecessary and bordering on madness for the year 1970 but I feel like they did it for the old mexican equivalent of shits and giggles. Now, I have methods available to me and materials manufacturable by me where I could go become a (really bad) farmer and claim (disingenuously) mexicans transitioned to the 21st century without using oil. Heh....

Knowing you racists will henceforth probably (but not always) fail in your attempts because the Czech Republic produces extremely inefficient workers, none of you are particularly good workers, you probably won't afford good land, and the resulting temporal bias against you (you may need to work more hours per week than your peers) and the agri-industrial climate of Europe means you will be gobbled-up or kicked-off in a couple generations' time, I will provide advice I know none of you will take anyway as a form of my own /nobless oblige/ from an enlightened Mexican (capitalized) toward you Barbarous europeans (uncapitalized):

... wait let me think about something I don't actually know the first thing about farming and probably none of you wants to do aeroponics...

... no you probably already expect to own about one hectare of land +/ a fuckton because reasons...

... righty no point in mentioning anything about animal genetics it's pretty obvious you'll need a supplemental income to purchase genetic variety...

... learn about silicon-based ceramics and the construction of cermets and other composites based on them? No, seriously, you all will have a limited budget, please learn some modern American materials science and build your own shit.
>>
>>1009889
I´m from Czech Republic. The land is not that cheap and prices are going up really fast. If you´re planning to make a living as a farmer, you´re fucked here. The laws make in nearly impossible to have any business and it´s only looking to be worse. There is a man named Andrej Babiš and he took over the most agriculture business. And to top that the fucker is minister of finance...
>>
>>1009931
You will have to save up some money. Czech banks won´t wive you mortage unless you already have atleast 15% of the total amount.
>>
>>1017781
If everything goes correct, I'll have 55,000 euro cash for buying a house and a piece of land. Plan is to round up whatever amount of cash to 200,000 euro with a mortage. So that would be a 73% mortgage of 145,000. Possibly a little less. That will give me a little of 5,000,000 crowns to buy something within two hours from Praha.

>>1017776
I don't want to "make" anything. I want a big piece of land with a nice house to grow my own food while working as a programmer 3 days a week.

Also, there is this awesome little farmer market in Praha on Na Kampe right next to the Karluv most where hopefully one day I'll sell my organic veggies, meat and honey.
>>
>>1017833
Well if you got that much cash, then you´re golden. Go for it. Just look out for the people. Czechs are good but extremely envious.
>>
>>1009877
Maybe I should make my own thread, but I think I'd ask here first.
I'll be moving soon to a small farm with a few acres of wood and pasture, but no source of water beside the usual local supply network.
I was thinking about collecting the rain water from the roof in underground cisterns to somehow alleviate this.
Anybody tried this?
Any input related to volume and/or cost would be welcome.
>>
>>1009960
You realise missipi is 30% black
>>
>>1019997
Depends on local law.

In a lot of places collecting rainwater is ILLEGAL. You do not own the rainwater that falls on your property.
>>
File: 1495184364890.jpg (863KB, 3508x2286px) Image search: [Google]
1495184364890.jpg
863KB, 3508x2286px
>>1020253
>Land of the free and the braves
>>
>>1010324
>I highly recommend going to Home Depot and buying ten strawberry plants
This freaked me out because that's literally what I did today, but they were those seedlings they sell in a bag, not sprouted yet.
>Notice lots of pillbugs in compost
>Figure they are probably benign so use the compost to plant strawberries
>Later read that strawberries are one of the only plants that pillbugs eat
>>
>>1019997
It will work.

Consider a well too.

>>1020253
That's mostly commiefornia and her water slave states.
>>
>>1020253
yes, you can. the one case people bring up is a guy who was making a huge pond with rain water you dumb fuck
>>
File: 1486702111206.jpg (38KB, 1024x449px) Image search: [Google]
1486702111206.jpg
38KB, 1024x449px
>>1016515
>I don't own any grazing animals (other than my wife, that is)
>>
File: 1489128234261.png (2KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1489128234261.png
2KB, 300x300px
>>1020391
It is in fact illegal in many boot licking states.
>>
>>1010321
merge art with webdev silly
>>
>>1022709
I would if I wasn't shit at art.
>>
>>1017597
>actual blacks and mexicans, like myself
Haha no wonder you don't understand why white people don't want you around, it's impossible for you to know what it's like when it's just white people.

I'll give you a hint, it's fucking magical. I grew up in Montana and I never locked a door to a car or house in my life. I left it running in a store parking lot all the time. In the south? Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>1017597
>implying 90% of beaners don't consume flaming hot Cheetos and fanta as their main calorie intake
>implying whites required oil to settle the west
>implying beaner gardeners use hand powered leaf blowers
>calling others barbarians while his country is literally run by drug dealers

everything you said was just keyboard diarrhea
>>
>>1009877
Good self sufficiency book?
>>
Humans were never self sufficient. There was always trading and communities. The idea of being fully self sufficient is a dream. You're better off focusing on one thing that can be profitable to support the rest of your necessities. This is called farming.

My uncle owns a trout hatchery. He raises trout from eggs until they're sold to (mostly the government) where they are sent to be stocked in ponds and lakes.

He has a big custom built home on 17 acres of land. He's pretty well off. A much more realistic /out/ lifestyle than trying to be 100% isolated.
>>
>>1022841
I live in the south and I do those things all the time. There's people of all races and ethnicities. I wear camo and cowboy boots pretty much all the time and have a Dixie flag on the hood of my truck. I pull into a 7-11 with a group of dindus hanging out and leave my truck running.
>>
>>1009877
I've been trying to figure out what I can grow on 10 acres of clay soil in central Texas my family has. I was thinking maybe okra and cabbage. The grasshoppers are huge though and will probably eat the cabbage up. Im really not sure what I can do with it. We have a few pecan trees on it but the harvest for some reason are moldy pecans. I don't know maybe its over watering and the fact that the clay holds water like a jug and pecans need somewhat loose soil with adequate drainage. But we have to water them frequently the Texas summers are usually pretty hot and dry. I just don't know what I can do with 10 acres of clay soil. what do you think?
>>
>>1020331
>Consider a well too
it's been tried by a neighbor, but the ground is full of rocks, and it seems expensive
there is a small water stream nearby, but sadly not on my property
I have been thinking about a small pond to keep fishes, or for irrigation
or a swimming pool
but that's not very /out/, is it?
>>
>>1020391
why was that illegal?
>>
How do you do this without creating autistic kids? Just watched "Captain Fantastic;" it's about a dad that raises 6 kids in the woods with strict physical and intellectual regimens. They all turn out turbo-autismal and are completely unprepared to deal with other people (unless it involves a knife disarm). You definitely have to get your kids around other kids. The sweet spot seems to me to be about half an hour outside a smallish college town, if you can find the right land. You'll also benefit from being close to emergency services and work when it comes to it. Also, shit to do. You can spend as much time whittling and reading Thoreau as you want, but you'll appreciate having a few decent restaurants, theaters, museums, etc available. Especially when your kiddos get older. Bored teenagers get up to all kinds of shit if they don't have an outlet mate
>>
File: 1421882452324.gif (379KB, 264x257px) Image search: [Google]
1421882452324.gif
379KB, 264x257px
>>1009877
I can find a million websites telling you how to set up a simple farm/garden. I can't find anything on how farms make money or how they sell product.
In the modern age of Publix and Walmart is there even a market for home grown food?
>>
>>1009923
>>1009924
>>1009926
>>1012369
>>>/pol/
Fuck off with your neo-nazi hate speech.
>>
>>1027202
He's right tho.
>>
>>1027197
Farmer's Markets.

Pro tip: don't bother with certifying organic with anyone, just label your shit "Chemical Free".

Also make sure everyone you to man your booths has visible tattoos and dresses like a hobo.

I currently run an organic farm. I grow all I need for myself, plus do as many as 4 markets per weekend during the summer, plus a CSA share program. I raise sheep and pigs but right now only enough scale for me and my staff.
>>
File: 24e[1].jpg (179KB, 573x960px) Image search: [Google]
24e[1].jpg
179KB, 573x960px
>>1027215
>Farmer's Markets.
I don't understand how these are profitable for the farmer.
Iv been to a few and I usually only spend a few dollars.
I assume you spend all day sitting around hoping people buy what you are selling.
Are farmers selling to the general public or do people come to the markets to make bulk deals?
>>
>>1027197
An ancient dude I met was gardening less than an acre and doing a few farmers markets a week selling easliy $500 at each, just a variety of things that grow here. He claimed to have sold $12,000 of pickling cucumbers alone last year and had a customer list who would buy every one he grew. Gave up the garden one year and shortly thereafter needed a walker
>>
>>1024470
https://www.amazon.com/Five-Acres-Independence-Handbook-Management/dp/0486209741
>>
>>1027242
Women go to farmers markets to buy stuff to give them purpose, you just need to find and exploit a niche
>>
>>1009921

That might be for the better. If you live in the U.S., there's going to be another economic downturn in 5-10 years. Save your money, buy cheap.
>>
>>1014017

I tried this. Total fucking waste of time. Just use a burlap sack and pretty much the same method of adding soil.
>>
>>1019997

Don't collect water off of your roof unless you want your dick to fall off from the tar and lead.
>>
>>1009905
>western WA
>NOT the best place for a little farm

Have you heard of our Green Guru, Paul Gaustchi, founder of the "Back To Eden" technique? He and his farm is based in that area. Look his film up "Back To Eden"
>>
>>1014283
Nigger get out
>>
File: 1485901787765.jpg (96KB, 792x558px) Image search: [Google]
1485901787765.jpg
96KB, 792x558px
>>1027647
nice comment!
>>
>>1027576
I have not heard of him, but I'll definitely check that film out.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.