/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rare /out plants&animals edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: woodcock.jpg (66KB, 425x320px) Image search: [Google]
woodcock.jpg
66KB, 425x320px
rare /out plants&animals edition
>>
File: giantstonefly.jpg (61KB, 800x436px) Image search: [Google]
giantstonefly.jpg
61KB, 800x436px
>>
>>1009868
https://youtu.be/Sr_SGkqrrdM
>>
>>1009873
saw one for the first time today
>>
>giant stonefly
>woodcock
>rare
wut
>>
File: 20170312_173439.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170312_173439.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
The only turtle in the entire state of Oregon

t. A southerner quite upset at the lack of turtles in PNW

It rarely freezes and rains daily where the fuck are they dammit
>>
>>1010032
Yeah, we're not known for our turtles. There's one near where I live. Is that Delta Ponds in Eugene?
>>
>>1009868
see
>>>/an/2374047
>>
>>1010188
Yes it is. Good guess.
>>
File: Spotted-Owl-Animal-Kid.com_.jpg (118KB, 720x490px) Image search: [Google]
Spotted-Owl-Animal-Kid.com_.jpg
118KB, 720x490px
Any interest in spotted owls?

I'm a student with an interest in digital audio. Currently finishing up a bioacoustic monitoring internship with the national parks service building a model to automate the detection and classification of owl calls-- specifically those of the endangered northern spotted owl.

I've been listening to these goddamn birds for 5 months now and I've gotten pretty familiar with their calls-- and discovered a few that I can't find documented anywhere.

On the off chance anyone knows owls in this thread, does this sound like a barred owl call to you? The screech is classic spotted owl, but the chuckling call isn't documented anywhere I can find. The fact that the two call are co located suggests to me they're both SPOW, but I don't know for sure. I'm a audio guy not a bird guy.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ygdAfhHZkq

bonus SPOW 4 note call. Usually used to establish contact-- I hear them call back and forth with this one a lot.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s02IM5PIg7U5
>>
>>1010279
Fuck these little bastards I hope they die out forever so we can start logging again
>>
>>1010282
lul

Hate to break it to you, but they're not going anywhere. Some organizations / agencies are even taking to killing the barred owl to reduce competition.

And moreover, logging never stopped. Practically speaking, there's no publicly held old-growth left and the amount young-growth logging land actually affected by the presence of spotted owls is vanishingly small on a landscape scale. Maybe things are different where you are.
>>
>>1010604
Yeah, half the towns in my state are abandoned because everyone lost their jobs thanks to Mr.Spotted Owl
>>
>>1009873
I have a few of these on my property. I see them almost daily. There were many on my Grandfather's farm. Until today I have never heard them called Woodechs. They are woodcocks (Scolopax minor) as far as I know.
>>
File: morels.jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
morels.jpg
101KB, 640x480px
Rare in a way. Kind of hard to find and usually only appear for a short duration in any given area.
>>
Rare traditional backpacking hiker with its 80 lbs of tools, circa 1992
>>
>>1010024
>first time i ever seen them
>>
>>1009871

I saw one of these when I was a kid, pointing a flashlight through the screen door at the cottage to see all the moths and stuff that it attracted

They are loud when they fly, you can hear the wings buzzing
>>
Just today I saw an albino crow, it was very foggy and the crow was almost the same colour as the fog. Because of the colours it looked transparent. Honestly the most surreal thing I have ever experienced /out/doors.
>>
>>1010282
Wow rude. Owl did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1010823
The little cocksucker can adapt to smaller fucking trees fuck that dipshit
>>
File: 1003151704-1.jpg (245KB, 832x962px) Image search: [Google]
1003151704-1.jpg
245KB, 832x962px
>>
>>1009871
I've fly-fished for trout in a salmonfly (giant stonefly) hatch...these things are not rare during the right time of year
>>
File: foto.jpg (4MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
foto.jpg
4MB, 4288x3216px
Leopard slug. This thing was about 8 inches long. First time seeing one last summer.
>>
>>1010789
I saw a piebald whitetail while turkey hunting last year. It looked awesome. Wish I could have gotten a picture.
>>
>>1010840
You can adapt to smaller trees too
>>
>>1011138
>humans handicapping themselves on purpose in the name of other species

Please. Let them play catch up, we don't need to go where we've already been.
>>
>>1010918
Great job killing a rare and interesting bird. I hope you had a good time.
>>
File: image.png (221KB, 374x376px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
221KB, 374x376px
>>1011149
>browses /out/
>want to get rid of the outdoors and its contents
How strange.
>>
File: drool.gif (496KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
drool.gif
496KB, 500x327px
>>1009868
Yum! Love me some Woodcock. Cock them with the insides in, then take them out and fry them up with some red wine and spread it on toast.
>>
>>1010279
>Bioacoustic monitoring

Fancy way to say sound guy for birds.
>>
>>1011198
bit brackish there m8
>>
>>1011164
>Rare
You don't get out much.
>Enjoyed
It was delicious, along with the two other woodcock and one grouse harvested that afternoon.
>>
>>1011176
>enjoys /out/
>comprehends that deliberately going against the natural path of things is simply just a hunan bias, and not what earth has predisposed us to

Sorry bud. Your conservation is only for other humans opinions. Earth doesnt care.
>>
>>1011536
I'm not arguing that 'the earth' cares or that there is anyone doing any caring except humans.
I'm saying that you seem to enjoy the outdoors, yet also want more of it gone for logging. Just looks like cognitive dissonance from here, my dude.
>>
>>1011787
It's not dissonance. I grasp that different life will come to different situations.

Merely "changing" the environment simply "changes" the type of life that will inhabit it.
>>
>>1011787
Stem density and biomass are both critical components of a healthy ecosystem. Since Smokey T. Bear was able to get inside the heads of a generation, young forests have been declining. Old growth makes pretty post cards, but limits biodiversity. Timber sales are a valuable and necessary part of healthy forest succession. We tried in the late 1980s to return to "let it burn" but the public didn't have the stomach for it.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.