[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sell all my shit >go on a world journey >pack whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

>sell all my shit
>go on a world journey
>pack whatever necessary to survive in pretty much every hemisphere
>still lug around all this crap

I have like 30kg of gear. How can I go lighter?

Currently in Japan by the way.
>>
>>1009582
Well, what have you got?

In all honesty, you probably are already at a minimum amount of weight if you have to be ready for many different conditions.

Don't listen to ultralight fags, having cheap and rugged gear is easily superior in non-familiar countries because the last thing you want is to get robbed because you're carrying a years worth of someones wages on your back.
>>
>>1009587
>3 sets of clothes, not including what I'm wearing
>tent (Eureka Wabagami 2)
>tarp
>sleeping mat
>2 sleeping bags, one bulky for cold weather, one that's essentially a thin synthetic blanket with a zipper
>knife
>Leatherman Wave
>folding saw
>fishing pole
>little tackle box
>maintenance kit (sewing gear, duct tape, steel wool, superglue, etc)
>Lixada wood stove
>half a Trangia set
>steel mug
>aluminium ladle
>spice container
>some stock cubes
>rope
>toiletries
>towel
>shemagh
>binoculars
>firesteel
>2 lighters
>storm and waterproof matches
>simple first aid kit with added bandages and mylar blanket
>hoodie
>winter coat
>pair of ordinary shoes
>slippers
>headmount flashlight
>compass

probably more I can't name on the top of my head
>>
>>1009582
If you can drop the light sleeping bag for a wool blanket that would be good.

Just rest on top of the bulky sleeping bag.

But yeah, sounds like you're simply prepared for any situation. That's very smart. It's a realistic weight for what you're doing.
>>
>>1009597

Don't forget your paracord bracelet, never know when seven feet of rope can save your life.
>>
>>1009600

Just enough to neck yourself with
>>
>>1009602

Or swing across a canyon if you're being pursued.
>>
>>1009605

Or suck the Cheeto dust out of it for substances.
>>
>>1009582
Just fucking go. You'll figure out what you do and dont need... by the way save enough money to get the shit you need when tou realize all the shit you brought with you was dumb as fuck.... if you dont use it for that at least you have beer and drug money.
>>
>>1009582

Ive been traveling the world for about a year now with about half that weight, Ive been able to switch out certain items here and there.
Just recently both my tent and sleeping mat have died on me. :(
>>
>>1009582
Damn anon that's a lot of stuff to carry around. Also how is your trip going? You're the anon that had a few threads before right?

>>1009611
Aren't you an old /out/ legend?
>>
File: 1489766911151.gif (2MB, 250x158px) Image search: [Google]
1489766911151.gif
2MB, 250x158px
>>1009611
nigga what is your story
>>
>>1009611
Gear list now

Also give details on the points at which you changed gear for other gear
>>
Btw that doesnt look like 30kg

Looks like 15kg-20kg with water desu
>>
>>1009621
>>1009632
>>1009638

Most people probably know me from the /out/ patch. Since then I've been travelling the world. I made half assed attempts to post about my adventures on /out/ before but because of limited access to decent wifi it never worked out.

I started in Europe and went all the way overland, through Russia, Mongolia, China and until Hong Kong. There I took a plane to Thailand and continued into Cambodia, then Vietnam and took a plane back to Thailand.
Then I flew on towards Australia and just last month I spend on the south island of New Zealand before flying back to Australia.

My gear loadout is what you would expect.
>2 trousers
>shorts
>2 tshirts
>long sleeve tshirt
>tank top
>pullover
>hoodie
>longjohns
>scarf, hat and gloves
>7 pairs of undies
>7 pairs of socks and 1 pair of warmer socks
>rain jacket
>microfiber towel
>20 degree (-7C) sleeping bag
>insulated sleeping pad
>lightweight tent
>tarp and some paracord
>cooking pot, bowl & spoon and gasstove
>3 days of freezedried meals
>water bottle
>first aid kit
>electronics like pocket camera and the likes.
>other miscellaneous crap like sunglasses, headlight, notebook, etc.

When I got to Russia I bought myself a tablet because it was a pain in the ass not being able to look stuff up on the interwebz.
Once I got to thailand I ditched the warmer clothes, switched out my tent for a hammock, used a big scarve as blanket so I didnt need the sleeping bag or mattress either and I didnt take the cooking gear. Food is cheap everywhere in south east asia and I never stayed in the jungle longer than one night anyway. I was able to leave all that stuff with my Thai sister. I also bought a smaller pack since I know had less stuff to carry around.
When I left for Australia I took all that crap back with me and the warmer clothes deffo came in handy in New Zealand. I plan on settling down for a while in Australia since I'm short on cash.

If anyone can hook me up with a job btw, that would be great.
>>
The majority of my weight is always clothing.
Try reducing the type, amount or just switching to lighter "modern" materials.
>>
>>1009669
What was your favourite place you went?
>>
>>1009669
Oh okay so you're just a tourist

Noted
>>
>>1009685

Probably Mongolia. The entire country is like one massive national park. It's an amusement park for everything /out/.
Not to mention the people and culture of Mongolia really interested me.
>>
>>1009597
well,,

>tarp AND tent
choose one. if you still want a tarp, consider a silnylon poncho tarp (<300g)

wood stove AND trangia
choose one you don't need two stoves. A wood stove... what about MAKING A FIRE ON THE GROUND. Trangia is also heavy, you have way more options than that outdated junk

>STEEL mug
why steel? needless

>ladle
what for

>rope
that hemp or whartever rope on your photo? what do you use it for, switch it out

>thin synthetic blanket
down blanket mate

>fire steel AND lighters AND matches
same, too much redundancy.

Also, your rucksack is some tacticool POS, whats that 2-3kg by itself?

Also, having shit strapped to the outside of your bag and doing international travel... good luck when your bag comes through with all that stuff missing
>>
>>1009709
not him but kys, no-contribution stay-at-home neckbeard
>>
>>1009597
Ditch slippers, wood stove, ladle, binos, light sleeping bag (why not just cover half your body or leave the thicker one unzipped?) Tarp. You could probably ditch some toiletries with no consequence. I'm guessing you don't use that rope for anything that a light guy line wouldn't be able to do. You could probably lose a piece of clothing or two, just keep your extra socks and underwear.

Consolidate:
Folding saw and Leatherman wave can probably be replace by like a sak forester.
You probably don't need so many ways to start a fire.
>>
>>1009718

>tarp AND tent
Depends on his tent imo. My tent is so small that it's basically a slightly bigger bivy. I like having my tarp to cook, eat and chill under in bad weather. And why not just sleep under the tarp you say? I've been in situations where there were no threes around to tie my tarp to and at least I had my tent for shelter.

>wood stove AND trangia
I agree on this one. Just make a fire when possible. When not possible it's nice to have a gas burner as backup. I use a pocket rocket, it's cheap and small enough not to be a bother.

>STEEL mug
Nothing wrong with good ol' stainless steel imo.

>ladle
Just a regular old spoon will do, the same you use for eating.

>rope
Probably used with his tarp. It's always good to have some rope anyway.

>thin synthetic blanket
Just the down sleeping bag is enough. In warmer climates I didn't use a blanket or just unzipped my sleeping bag.

>fire steel AND lighters AND matches
I carry the same, it's always good to have backups in case one fails. Especially when it comes to fire.

I agree on the backpack. Try to have as little as possible on the outside. It deters thieves when you find yourself in cities and it's less bulky and easier to travel with.
>>
>>1009669
Yeah, last time I read about you, you were in Mongolia. Pretty cool stuff anon.

How much have you spent so far?
>>
>>1009738

About 14k so far. I'm on my last money, hence why I'm in Australia looking for a job.
>>
>>1009716
>>1009737
>>1009740

Forgot my trip.
>>
>>1009740
During how many months? Any specific memorable moment?
>>
>>1009728
This, also ditch the stoves and replace with a whisperlite international. If you run out of fuel just make a fire with nearby materials. Don't use trangias, they and other alcohol stoves are only good for adding dead weight and making food slightly warm.
>>
>>1009774
Or MSR Dragonfly, because the Whisperlite can't simmer worth shit
>>
>>1009721
>>>/b/
>>
>>1009737
He's asking for weight reduction. a steel cup (or that hemp rope) is needless weight.
>>
>>1009740
Do you have any experience fruit picking? If you're taller than your average male, you're already at an advantage for most Australian orchards. If you're fit, it'll be a breeze to simmer through the heat, and earn decent living piecework wages.
I'd be cautious about certain farmers and travelling to and from a job. You'll get taxed if you're a backpacker picking fruit on a travel visa, so that shouldn't be a surprise. I'd also look into picking wild edibles, such as mushrooms and other sorts of goods that can be sold tax free.
>>
>>1009582
eat more
>>
>>1010074

I've done some picking earlier this year, I'm currently building a case against my employer because he hasn't paid me yet. I'm one of those, yes. :(
>>
>>1010136
Being a picker is hard. Break some branches, and snap some buds, and you'll get paid.
>>
>>1009597
No need for a knife if you already have a Leatherman. You could cut the weight of the saw if you transitioned to an alcohol stove instead of a wood stove. If your tarp is a normal cheapo blue tarp then you can cut a few pounds by going for a cuben fiber or silnylon tarp. Depending on the type of sleeping bag you have you could cut some good weight by getting a down quilt instead (hammock gear sells a really quality 30deg down quilt for ~140usd. Your pack itself could also be lighter by a decent amount of you transitioned to an UL cuben pack.

You could easily cut 10lbs if you had the dosh.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.