[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joe Valesko Zpacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: samuari joe.jpg (74KB, 622x840px) Image search: [Google]
samuari joe.jpg
74KB, 622x840px
Who wouldnt buy 1000 dollars worth of ultralight gear from this man?
>>
>>1008171
He looks pretty comfy in terms of weight and temperature.
>>
>>1008171
>Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvIkJKgAlMk
>>
>>1008175
dudes hiked 10,000 miles all with homemade gear and in sandals
>>
>>1008171
He's no Steve Climber.

Where's his French wedge?
>>
File: whiiiiipsake.gif (2MB, 432x245px) Image search: [Google]
whiiiiipsake.gif
2MB, 432x245px
>>1008207
>>
>>1008171
I like his pre-cum.
>>
$1000 for a whole setup is a good price, poorfags can be beasts of burden.
>>
>>1008257
nb4 >too weak to pack
>>
>>1008171

I don't need ultralight gear, I use the flextrek whipsnake. Best pack ever.
>>
>>1008257
>>1008268
>implying you can even call yourself a man if you cant carry a whole deer + gear on your back for 30 miles in a day

Little girls.
>>
>>1008257
My pack has 80lbs of tools.
>>
>>1008177
Kek, I think you are underestimating the scale of ZPacks. This is no longer "home-made gear".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQKwyto0Yt0
>>
>>1008581
do you not see this nigga in the original picture?? dude reeks of DIY; his staff is a garden tool handle w/ duct tape. Also all their packs and tents ares still sewn using regular sewing machines, its cottage gear, it even shows that in the vid u linked. Yeah they are HUGE now and are a worldwide name taken seriously, but joe ran the entire business out of his apartment for years.
>>
>>1008581
damn this dude seems super down to earth. You could tell he was kinda annoyed with the guy filming but still was patient and answered all his stupid question. also pretty sweet he started in moms basement and now he has a warehouse and 60 employees
>>
>>1008538
Is this you?
>>
>>1008630
Duh

I make half the posts on this board
>>
>>1008171
Why is he cosplaying a chinese monk while on the trail?
>>
>>1008593
>implying mass produced gear is inherently better than hand made.

Well executed DIY > bought gear every single fucking day.
>>
>>1009077
i wasnt implying that.
>>1008581
this dude was

i agree with you entirely and was the point i was trying to make. diy allows control of all the stuff the user cares about and generally comes at a lower cost to produce. zpacks gear today still has retains some of that "homemade" feel to it, i mean their "factory" set up is just a bunch of average florida joes using standard sewing machines.
>>
>>1008171
Ultralight and carries a staff...
>>
>>1008171
Look at all that excess strap material around his waist. This is NOT ultralight.
>>
>>1008550
Kek need source on that now
>>
>>1008171
imagine this samurai rolling into town to resupply. I imagine him eating saltines and instant breakfast the entire journey
>>
Ultralighters should be perma banned from /out/

GET
>>
>>1009999
CHECKED
holy shit quads+ called it
>>
>>1009999
Ultralighters btfo forever
>>
>>1009999
Stay jelly, poorfag
>>
>>1010073
>jelly of things that aren't durable

Hahahahahaha.
>>
>>1008550
>Bear Grylls Gerber shite
>Batons when he has a hatchet right fucking there

Okay this has to be fake.
>>
>>1008171
I need some cold weather rain mitts... Turns out Zpacks makes them.. just clicked order, hopefully they are awesome.
>>
Gearheads destroy all hobbies and interests, especially one which is supposed to be about enjoying outdoors and not materialism.
>>
>>1010112
They dont destroy shit you can enjoy yourself however you want

You poison yourself by going to this autistic ass place full of dipshit assholes
>>
>>1010073
>>1010079
the irony of both of your replies is that most ultralight hikers are pretty experienced hikers, as in most people dont jump straight into ultralight gear, and have hiked a good bit the heavy way. Also a most have similar or less invested money into their gear than the heavy packers. You save a lot of money when you dont buy stuff sacks, flints, gadgets, cookwear ect ect. Down UL sleeping bags are usually 150-300 dollars basically the same price as a 4 lb synthetic. you can get a <2lb pack for 140-200 dollars made of waterproof and durable material. And as far as durability, when your shits super light it tends not to put as much stress on the fabric/frames of packs and if you treat your shit right it can last just as long as heavier stuff would. Educate yourself on lightening up, most people would be surprised how light they can get just by shifting their mindset, without even purchasing anything new.
>>
>>1010139
>lies

Unfortunately none of what you said is even remotely true.

What you're refering to is the people that go hiking with the wrong items and skills and then insecurely rely on expensive gear falsely thinking it will protect them.

Have fun buying fragile synthetic crap, you can't buy replacements on amazon in the woods bud.

Ultimately you need nearly no gear at all for anything below a week, so, your argument is totally null and void. Just the fact that you bring overtly expensive poor quality fancy name garbage for such lengths of time proves without doubt your low experience level.
>>
>>1010143
i havent bought a single piece of gear on amazon accept for my battery pack. my backpack and tarp i made myself. most of my shit i got second hand. my one "namebrand" piece of gear is my hammock gear quilt, 250 retail.

>wrong items and skills
imagine someone hiking the entire Appalachian trail. 2200 miles in a single season. what would you suggest they bring? hmm. please tell us the "right" gear. Cause i hiked the entire thing in 2014 and the heaviest my pack ever was was 22lbs when i had 6 days of food

its obvious you have minimal experience with long distance hiking, and most of your outdoor experience has probably consisted of "camping" where you hike maybe 5 miles then hang out in one spot for a day or two.
>>
>>1010191
>elitist words

It's okay bud. Appalachian trail pales in comparrison to my experience.

Just in my last 3 years I've done a source to sea mississippi river trip, AT, PCT, Mt.Rainier summit, Mt.Hood summit, a few other 8k+ elevation summits, and multiple extended trips throughout clifty wilderness in Red River Gorge.

Been doing shit all over North America for over 15 years. You elitist folks don't phase me, you can say "second hand" all you want, as if it means anything at all. It doesn't. You simply have a few mental barriers you're struggling to surpass, and that's fine. Many people have trouble with realistically being a regular Joe. Gear is by far tertiary, I can't imagine what would go through the head of a person that sees 25lbs or less as a requirement for doing the activities they wish to do.
>>
>>1010201
seriously, give us examples of quality gear/gear lists to use then that its fragile, synthetic crap

>attacks elitism with more elitism
kek i really hope we meet in person on the trail one day.
>>
>>1010227
>give me details so I can debunk you

I'm not that new.

Your opinions are irrelevant to me, actually.
>>
>>1010201
What the fuck did you just say about me, you little bitch?
>>
>>1010267
At least use the whole pasta
>>
>>1010227
>seriously, give us examples of quality gear/gear lists to use then that its fragile, synthetic crap

light my fire synthetic sporks. I love them and use them all the time but they do have the tendency to snap randomly under normal eating forces. a heavier stainless steel or titanium spork would be superior.
>>
>>1010264
im genuinely curious what to use that is superior (and i pinky promise not to "debunk it")

at least give tell me about a pack, sleeping bag and tent/shelter that isnt "name brand garbage" I honestly no longer care about weight in this discussion and want to know whats best to carry for lengths of time since apparently i did everything wrong hiking +2200 miles
>>
>>1010391
If you lighten your pack you won't be so angry, unless that's a roid rage you are experiencing
>>
>>1010391
>>1010458
your confused, im the ul guy asking the "all ul gear is flimsy cheap shit" what i should bring instead of all the "cheap lightweight shit" hes assuming i bring.

im on ur side, the light side
>>
>>1010391
Its called "using whatever you have or want". There's no specific types of gear. That's really a lot of the point.
>>
>>1010391
And no, you didn't do everything wrong you sarcastic fucking asswipe.

Your emphasis is what's wrong.
>>
>>1008244
That's period blood
>>
File: 97303448.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
97303448.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>hoe is dun
>>
>>1010532
Lol not gonna lie I batoned stuff when I was like 14 with a kabar

Didn't ruin the kabar but also theres no reason whatsoever to do this

I do have one use for a knife with making a fire though. If it's wet outside you can shave the bark off and a little further to where you have the dry stuff, but thats basically just woodcarving.
>>
>>1010201
>source to sea Mississippi River trip
Let's hear about that. Everyone talks about those other trips.
>>
>>1010535
Sure thing. Did this with my best friend. Was an absolute joy of an adventure.

Had a buddy deliver us to Lake Itasca with our gear and canoe, we've got everything in 55L dry bags, basically all your typical gear but we also brought a ruger 10/22 and some fishing poles because we didn't want to have to travel into town to get food because that's a bitch so we just kept an eye out for the law man because you're supposed to have permits for doing that stuff and it's always state by state and fuck getting 20 different permits. We've got 5 gallons of water in containers. This canoe has a lot of weight, but it's better than frying to death.

We just went a nice and smooth pace, covered 15-30 miles each day and it was much more related to the flow of the river and the wind than anything. We had trouble catching the current in the middle of the river because as barges would pass it gets pretty dangerous for a canoe so we stayed closer to the shore line for most of the journey, was often very choppy but it allowed us to pull up onto shore for when the barges or dicks with fast boats came by.

Luckily we had both played on rivers a lot of times in our lives so the dams were easy for us to deal with. Sometimes you've got to portage over them, which can be like 1-3 miles of carrying your shit. Most of the time though you can just pull into the lock like a normal boat and tug the string and they'll let you right through.

Dirty ass river. I mean, I'm familiar with the Mississippi but daaaaamn some parts are dirty as fuck. Didn't really feel good about eating the fish in a lot of parts, honestly most of it. We did anyways of course, purposefully ate charred black meat a lot. Eventually started to like the burnt taste. Neither of us got sick thankfully. We did get pretty dark skinned though, the heat made me crazier than it made my buddy.

Honestly met some cool people on the journey, they're interested to hear about the silly bullshit you're doing.
>>
>>1010543
Part 2

When we made it to the gulf we were both quite disappointed. Mainly because we didn't feel safe at all. We had all this gear, and we were in the WRONG area for sure. We almost ditched it all just to travel faster to keep from being robbed. Didn't stay long at all here, found a slightly hidden spot and camped out until the morning and were able to find our buddy who had dropped us of at Itasca 4 and a half months earlier. Only now did it set in how awesome of an adventure we really went on.
>>
>>1008171
>comfy
>>
>>1010546
Nice one. I've lived on the river my whole life and always wanted to do something like this. Passing a barge with a canoe or kayak is terrifying though. Plus I feel like the locks would be kinda hard to do in a canoe. How long ago did you take this trip?
>>
>>1013383
This was last year, and it's actually fairly easy to use the lock systems but for whatever reason sometimes they won't take you even though it's exactly the same as a larger boat and that's when you portage across.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.